Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231073 times)

oneOone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6240 on: September 02, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
ahh man, thanks for the offer but i don't live in america so i'll try and find a deal online. did you have problems with the axle stripping and did it get better with the china made ones?
[close]

Well I'm a fucking awful skateboarder so my axles get smashed a lot from landing on them no matter what truck, but I didn't really notice any change in that regard. I have one of those pig tools with the axle rethreader so I usually just smash or sand them back into something vaguely cylindrical and then rethread them with that. It's not perfect but it works pretty well.
[close]
i've rethreaded mine so much that the nuts just slide on and off.
[close]

When changing wheels I never remove the nut immediately I always turn the nut back and forth a few times on the last few threads before I unscrew it completely, this helped me to increase the lifespan of my axle.

Titanium axles also seem to last longer compared to regular ones.
[close]

what about the hollows?
Same material as the standard trucks only hollow, no difference.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #6241 on: September 02, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »
Ok, for you dudes super into thunder. Please save me a ton of searching.

What’s the different between the team hollows and the team lights and the titanium ones.

Currently on tensors ATG and just can’t do it anymore.

Thinking about getting the titanium thunders but not sure what to expect in terms of performance and extending the wheelbase from the ATG’s

What after market parts are best in them, since I’ve read bones doesn’t always play nice.

Thunders come in the standard "team" (solid everything), lights (hollow kingpin), and hollow lights (hollow kingpin/axle). The lights and hollows come with a forged baseplate that's lighter and slightly lower. The difference between the team lights or team hollows and regular ones is the team ones use the cast baseplate from the regular team models. They're slightly higher and heavier.

Thunder titanium ligjts are basically the same as regular lights, except with a titanium axle - so forged baseplate, hollow kingpin, solid titanium axle. They're the lightest of the bunch.

Not sure what your beef with the ATG is but it's worth noting that Thunders have a pretty similar feel to them according to many people so if you're looking for a substantial change you may want to look elsewhere.

As far as aftermarket, bones work fine for me in thunders. Any conical boardside bushing seems to work pretty well as long as the sizing is close - my personal favorites are indy blue conical and Venom blood red but honestly Thunder stock bushings are pretty good. It's not like tensor where swapping the stocks out makes a huge difference, it's more of a small tweak.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6242 on: September 02, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Ok, for you dudes super into thunder. Please save me a ton of searching.

What’s the different between the team hollows and the team lights and the titanium ones.

Currently on tensors ATG and just can’t do it anymore.

Thinking about getting the titanium thunders but not sure what to expect in terms of performance and extending the wheelbase from the ATG’s

What after market parts are best in them, since I’ve read bones doesn’t always play nice.
[close]

Thunders come in the standard "team" (solid everything), lights (hollow kingpin), and hollow lights (hollow kingpin/axle). The lights and hollows come with a forged baseplate that's lighter and slightly lower. The difference between the team lights or team hollows and regular ones is the team ones use the cast baseplate from the regular team models. They're slightly higher and heavier.

Thunder titanium ligjts are basically the same as regular lights, except with a titanium axle - so forged baseplate, hollow kingpin, solid titanium axle. They're the lightest of the bunch.

Not sure what your beef with the ATG is but it's worth noting that Thunders have a pretty similar feel to them according to many people so if you're looking for a substantial change you may want to look elsewhere.

As far as aftermarket, bones work fine for me in thunders. Any conical boardside bushing seems to work pretty well as long as the sizing is close - my personal favorites are indy blue conical and Venom blood red but honestly Thunder stock bushings are pretty good. It's not like tensor where swapping the stocks out makes a huge difference, it's more of a small tweak.

I switched from the standard thunders, whichever ones those are, to the titanium hollow lights this summer. Can’t say I notice a pronounced difference in weight, but they do still turn the same and make me feel special for having fancy trucks.

I’ve always ran with stock bushings on thunders too, just break em in and they’re good.

I’d recommend! I guess
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6243 on: September 02, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
To be honest the only truck that I've ever genuinely noticed a substantial weight difference in when they're actually on the deck and not in my hands is tensor mag lights.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6244 on: September 02, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
To be honest the only truck that I've ever genuinely noticed a substantial weight difference in when they're actually on the deck and not in my hands is tensor mag lights.

Thanks man, I didn’t know how the stock bushings were, I know with the tensors I had to switch em out to enjoy them. They are just on their last legs, at least the front one and I broke a kingpin and put a new one in and it’s not the same and I would rather not put the effort into them anymore. Would like to have a little lower truck so that’s why the thunders were appealing .

Also ran those blue Indy bushings heavy in my Indy’s so that’s good to know those will fit with no issue

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6245 on: September 03, 2019, 06:40:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone actually seen the venture 5.6 v-lights for sale anywhere? They were in the summer catalog that came out months ago but I haven't been able to find them anywhere.
[close]

If you don't mind buying online, I just got a set from SoCal Skateshop off their website. It was the only place I could find them.
[close]

Do you have a link? All I see are the 5.2 and 5.8's.

Oh man, I guess they sold out on there too. I wonder why it's so hard to find these, maybe venture only did a limited run for now.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6246 on: September 03, 2019, 11:52:04 AM »
Thanks man, I didn’t know how the stock bushings were, I know with the tensors I had to switch em out to enjoy them. They are just on their last legs, at least the front one and I broke a kingpin and put a new one in and it’s not the same and I would rather not put the effort into them anymore. Would like to have a little lower truck so that’s why the thunders were appealing .

Also ran those blue Indy bushings heavy in my Indy’s so that’s good to know those will fit with no issue

Ya Tensor stock bushings are hands down the worst I've seen. They're like straight up plastic - they feel like pieces of a kids toy... which I guess they kind of are but still.. they suck. Just to make sure I wasn't leading you astray I pulled out the blue Indy conicals and some stock thunders and they're almost identical, the indys might be slightly larger in circumference but its nothing that should cause any issues and also thunder makes a full line of aftermarket bushings in varying hardness as well. But definitely try the stock bushings first, they're pretty solid.

Oh man, I guess they sold out on there too. I wonder why it's so hard to find these, maybe venture only did a limited run for now.

Damn. If you or anyone else sees them up anywhere can you shoot me a PM? I know someone who's been looking for them pretty much since they were announced and I'd like to try them myself. I suppose I could just get the regular 5.6 and put a hollow kingpin in myself but that seems a bit extreme.

Maybe you're right and Deluxe wasn't expecting as much demand as they've gotten and did a small first run, but you'd think with how popular Thunder 148's are they'd have seen it coming.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6247 on: September 03, 2019, 01:34:48 PM »
Dude the clicking with the tensors stock bushings drove me nuts. Shop has the hollows and the ti’s. Probably going to just grab the hollows when I get paid.

UrsulaHaverbeck

• Rep: -22
« Reply #6248 on: September 03, 2019, 09:56:50 PM »
Ventures look like if a transformer toy morphed into a skateboard truck. And no, they don't fuckin turn retards.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6249 on: September 03, 2019, 10:43:12 PM »
More than meets the eye.....

Reese

« Reply #6250 on: September 03, 2019, 11:31:26 PM »
Ventures look like if a transformer toy morphed into a skateboard truck. And no, they don't fuckin turn retards.

Quality contribution to the forum

We haven't seen this before

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6251 on: September 04, 2019, 03:59:04 AM »

Strange, apparently somehow I managed to get all the way to the store on the other side of my neighborhood this morning without turning. I didn't even realize I had traveled in a straight line.

Maybe what you meant to say was "they don't turn FOR retards" which would explain the issues you've been having with them.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6252 on: September 04, 2019, 04:59:37 AM »

For me they feel the same as Thunder, which I have no issues in turning.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6253 on: September 04, 2019, 05:07:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Strange, apparently somehow I managed to get all the way to the store on the other side of my neighborhood this morning without turning. I didn't even realize I had traveled in a straight line.

Maybe what you meant to say was "they don't turn FOR retards" which would explain the issues you've been having with them.

if you think thats crazy how the fuck did bobby worrest film a full part without turning

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6254 on: September 04, 2019, 06:37:56 AM »
I was trying to explain in an earlier Venture-related post, but I think "they don't turn" is a really generalized and poorly worded description of a legitimate complaint.

Ventures naturally want to keep you going straight so if you're the type of skateboarder who leans into their tricks before popping (especially 180 things into grinds I noticed this), it's going to feel weird. Almost like the board is stuck on a track it can't get off without a stutter.

They do "turn." As in, if I was going straight and wanted to turn left, I could. But it's going to make you do tricks differently. There's also a lot less forgiveness than Independent if you land off center at all.

You might like this or not like this, I guess it's just based on whatever you're used to and what you're looking for.

I was Independent for 15 years... tried the Ventures and it was just too alien to me in the long run although it was fun because it made me skate a little differently. While I was already in experiment mode I grabbed Thunder 148 team hollows, and I'd say that's a much easier transition from Indy. I'm a week and a half in and really liking them so far, especially as they started to soften up after the first 2 sessions. 

ballintoohard

« Reply #6255 on: September 04, 2019, 10:51:30 AM »
Citing pros is stupid. Bobby could probably ride anything. He had tight trucks/hard bushings in his old setup videos with Indy's so he probably likes them. I found they turned, just not how I wanted. Loose/floppy at the top, not much arc to them. Ace have a huge arc. This is what most people mean by turn. If you watch Bobby skate he skates fairly fast and often does very long, shallow arc turns/carves unless he has to go tight.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6256 on: September 04, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
I was trying to explain in an earlier Venture-related post, but I think "they don't turn" is a really generalized and poorly worded description of a legitimate complaint.

Ventures naturally want to keep you going straight so if you're the type of skateboarder who leans into their tricks before popping (especially 180 things into grinds I noticed this), it's going to feel weird. Almost like the board is stuck on a track it can't get off without a stutter.

They do "turn." As in, if I was going straight and wanted to turn left, I could. But it's going to make you do tricks differently. There's also a lot less forgiveness than Independent if you land off center at all.

You might like this or not like this, I guess it's just based on whatever you're used to and what you're looking for.

I was Independent for 15 years... tried the Ventures and it was just too alien to me in the long run although it was fun because it made me skate a little differently. While I was already in experiment mode I grabbed Thunder 148 team hollows, and I'd say that's a much easier transition from Indy. I'm a week and a half in and really liking them so far, especially as they started to soften up after the first 2 sessions.

This is largely true, though I noticed it has helped my setup for swerve in tricks as I'm able to lean but not change my trajectory too much. Never noticed the less forgiveness than indys when landing off centre though. I generally like how they feel for setup and doing tricks and I love the kingpin clearance. But the slow turning (both how long it takes and how large the circle I end up carving out when I do a u-turn) are starting to get a little frustrating.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6257 on: September 04, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
If I can't turn a complete 180 on an 8ft wide qp without a kickturn/wheelbite then your trucks do not turn imo

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6258 on: September 04, 2019, 02:32:20 PM »
Standard warning that Venture Highs and Lows have VASTLY different turning characteristics!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6259 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:43 PM »
Standard warning that Venture Highs and Lows have VASTLY different turning characteristics!

I don't think anyone's talking about how the lows turn. The highs turn nice initially but then as you try to turn deeper you're hit with the "oh shit, they don't turn deeper than this!  :o"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6260 on: September 04, 2019, 10:57:35 PM »
Let's just say no one has ever accused a Venture of turning well......

The comments about turning radius are bang on...

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #6261 on: September 05, 2019, 08:59:27 AM »
Indy standards with the blue conicals for my 149s and 159s and the black bushings on 169s, nut just past flush

UrsulaHaverbeck

• Rep: -22
« Reply #6262 on: September 05, 2019, 10:47:34 AM »
Lol at these clown shoes sucking off their Venture axles.

drcroc

« Reply #6263 on: September 05, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
Dude the clicking with the tensors stock bushings drove me nuts. Shop has the hollows and the ti’s. Probably going to just grab the hollows when I get paid.

The krux black bushings squeak like a mofo. I put up with it for over a month and put in Doh doh mediums and now I think they're some of the best trucks I've ever had.

In response to the Venture discussion I had what were "Hi" super lights and I enjoyed them. They do have some annoying quirks like clicking, rigidness and the fact they look like bought at KB toys.  Months after I gave my board away after slamming really bad I was shocked to find out they were "highs" because I felt so low to the ground on them.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #6264 on: September 05, 2019, 04:32:13 PM »
These look awesome. When is someone gonna try making a chromoly hanger again?

From my limited understanding, chromoly is more costly than typical aluminum,  yet less expensive than an exotic material like titanium. It supposedly weighs more, but with the Advent of hollow/forged materials, I don't think it'd matter too much. Someone do it!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:44:46 PM by franquietits »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6265 on: September 05, 2019, 05:02:28 PM »
These look awesome. When is someone gonna try making a chromoly hanger again?

From my limited understanding, chromoly is more costly than typical aluminum,  yet less expensive than an exotic material like titanium. It supposedly weighs more, but with the Advent of hollow/forged materials, I don't think it'd matter too much. Someone do it!

It's unlike aluminum in that it's not used as a casting metal. It's usually used in flat stock or pipe form, like in bike frames, meaning you'd need things to be welded and bent to create yokes and pivots etc. (like in the pic of the trucks you posted) And it's waaaaay heavier than aluminum. It'd be cool, but I don't know how you'd achieve it in any realistic production scenario.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 05:54:54 PM by palelight »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6266 on: September 05, 2019, 08:46:30 PM »
I skated the G&S version of that truck and really liked them, they could grind well and were super light.  Don't think they'd sell well in today's climate, too weird looking.  One night a few years back Bill Danforth talked me ear off with every detail of truckery on both the G&S and the San Diego trucks... I retained none of the knowledge....for obvious reasons....

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #6267 on: September 05, 2019, 10:23:39 PM »
Who knows?  Maybe one of the big truck companies can build onto the design (if not San diego or G&S). Production/design wise, if it could be done in the 80s then I'd assume improvements can be made upon in the modern setting. 

I mean, Theeve has their all titanium truck... I'm sure someone could figure it out.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6268 on: September 05, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
Who knows?  Maybe one of the big truck companies can build onto the design (if not San diego or G&S). Production/design wise, if it could be done in the 80s then I'd assume improvements can be made upon in the modern setting. 

I mean, Theeve has their all titanium truck... I'm sure someone could figure it out.

For sure, but I'd agree with j soy, they'd still be pretty weird looking.

Diocletian

« Reply #6269 on: September 06, 2019, 01:57:08 AM »
I had this weird guy buy some skate stuff from me that I put up for sale on local ads, and he brought over his son’s “complete” to show me it. It was a creature popsicle from Zumiez with G&S chromoly’s in pretty much brand new condition but he spray painted them with some kind of shit that looked like a light coating of black tar. He also put fidget spinner bearings inside some Walmart looking wheels. And the risers were two totally different kinds, one being slightly taller. I should have taken a picture it was nuts. That’s my shitty story about G&S chromoly trucks.