Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231258 times)

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6270 on: September 06, 2019, 02:35:26 AM »
Lol at these clown shoes sucking off their Venture axles.
Lol at these bitch ass new accounts trying to throw shade on the AWAKENING. I fell in love with Indy titaniums, then fell in love with aces even tho they were heavier. Now I’m in love with Ventures cause I can still get the turn I WANT with more stability and it’s helping me land tricks when I try to. #WOKE
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6271 on: September 06, 2019, 08:24:21 AM »
I still have two sets of G&S trucks and a couple extra hangers.   

One set is the late model with the aluminum baseplate.  They do grind well on crappy concrete, but they are slower on metal.  It's been about 5 years since I skated them on a regular deck - I have them on a 39" earthwing Yoni that never gets ridden.

The other set is an early version with the plastic baseplates.   One sits on my bench and the other is bolted to the side of my kids lemonade stand to make it roll out to the curb easier.

Just last week I was looking at the H-Street Hensley stained glass reissue - which has old school mounting holes.  I had that deck back then with the exact G&S that I still have.  For half a minute I thought about buying one and setting it up.   Then I realized I have no business setting up another board - I have 8 or 9 already.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6272 on: September 06, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Lol at these bitch ass new accounts trying to throw shade on the AWAKENING. I fell in love with Indy titaniums, then fell in love with aces even tho they were heavier. Now I’m in love with Ventures cause I can still get the turn I WANT with more stability and it’s helping me land tricks when I try to. #WOKE
Sounds like you fell in love with every trending truck. I am trying a pair of 5.8 ventures right now. Lets not get carried away.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6273 on: September 06, 2019, 05:07:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Sounds like you fell in love with every trending truck. I am trying a pair of 5.8 ventures right now. Lets not get carried away.

Calling the act of riding ventures “the awakening” is not helping their case, turning capabilities aside
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6274 on: September 06, 2019, 06:23:36 PM »
I mean, some of us been on ventures for like 30 years... with a few hiccups along the way. Strayed a couple of times, but always came back.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6275 on: September 06, 2019, 10:53:01 PM »
I mean, some of us been on ventures for like 30 years... with a few hiccups along the way. Strayed a couple of times, but always came back.

That's some Puleo commitment, I can respect it. Have you kept the same width/height Ventures the whole time?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6276 on: September 06, 2019, 11:23:22 PM »
I still have two sets of G&S trucks and a couple extra hangers.   

One set is the late model with the aluminum baseplate.  They do grind well on crappy concrete, but they are slower on metal.  It's been about 5 years since I skated them on a regular deck - I have them on a 39" earthwing Yoni that never gets ridden.

39" earthwing Yoni you say......sounds like something Linda my 58 year old hippie yoga teacher may have....

Water is Nice

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6277 on: September 08, 2019, 01:29:37 AM »
Would I be crazy to run Ace 44s on the dane1 shape, 9.75 widest point I think 8.75 over back trucks?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6278 on: September 08, 2019, 01:40:40 AM »
Would I be crazy to run Ace 44s on the dane1 shape, 9.75 widest point I think 8.75 over back trucks?

A bit crazy. Try to pad the inner side of the axle with as many washers as you can.

Water is Nice

« Reply #6279 on: September 08, 2019, 01:49:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A bit crazy. Try to pad the inner side of the axle with as many washers as you can.

Yeah, that would make it better, I just looked at it and I have lock ins so pretty wide wheels as well, will try when my current board gets retired. The thing is I already have indy 159 on the dane1 but I like aces so much and i don't wanna buy new trucks

Italianshredder96

• Rep: 8
« Reply #6280 on: September 08, 2019, 06:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, that would make it better, I just looked at it and I have lock ins so pretty wide wheels as well, will try when my current board gets retired. The thing is I already have indy 159 on the dane1 but I like aces so much and i don't wanna buy new trucks

Try to put indy hangers on ace baseplates should work

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6281 on: September 08, 2019, 07:36:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

This

Water is Nice

« Reply #6282 on: September 08, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

This

Would turn like ace?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6283 on: September 08, 2019, 12:06:29 PM »
Anyone know what the duro is on the team hollow bushings are, currently breaking in a set and they feel kinda soft

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6284 on: September 08, 2019, 12:10:40 PM »
Anyone know what the duro is on the team hollow bushings are, currently breaking in a set and they feel kinda soft

All stock Thunders come with 90d bushings. I had the same question when I got Team Hollows (but I though they were harder than standard Thunders).

Edit: I've only skated two sets of Thunders. One set (standard teams) felt a bit softer than the team hollows, at first. After a couple weeks the bushings firmed up and they rode the same.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 01:52:32 PM by palelight »

Diocletian

« Reply #6285 on: September 08, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »
Indy hangers in Ace baseplates works perfect just make sure you have proper bottom bushing height by paying attention to how centered the hanger yoke is.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6286 on: September 08, 2019, 03:30:44 PM »
Updating for current set-up...
Thunder Team Edition Lights (hollow kingpin) 151s w/ Bones <medium> bushings. No bottom cup/washer. Top washer is a 3/8” Grade 8 (hardened steel) flat washer from the hardware store. About 20-25 cents each. Perfect fit: compact, functional, & “extra tough.”
Thanks for caring.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6287 on: September 08, 2019, 09:07:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's some Puleo commitment, I can respect it. Have you kept the same width/height Ventures the whole time?
Puleo is my spirit animal. But no, it’s varied. For the most part it’s been 5.0s. They were wider at the beginning. Didn’t get highs until 06. Now I’m in 5.8 raws.

Heather Chandler

« Reply #6288 on: September 09, 2019, 03:25:32 AM »
I've been wanting to give Thunders a good long term try for a while now.  Recently switched over to polished 149s.  Always had problems getting them to turn as comfortably as indy or ace.  Running independent barrel bushing on bottom 78a and 94a thunder top bushing.  Cheese grated the top bushing (wide end) to the point of having a smidge of "flop" on the hanger. Running a flat washer on bottom bushing and two flat washers on top bushing.  Turns as close to an ace as I could get it, and I'm pretty stoked.  Also have the option to remove one of the top washers for more flop, if need be.  Shall be sticking with this for a while.  Ran the same set up on some 44s with great results as well.

Edit: running 1/8" risers too.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6289 on: September 09, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »
I've been wanting to give Thunders a good long term try for a while now.  Recently switched over to polished 149s.  Always had problems getting them to turn as comfortably as indy or ace.  Running independent barrel bushing on bottom 78a and 94a thunder top bushing.  Cheese grated the top bushing (wide end) to the point of having a smidge of "flop" on the hanger. Running a flat washer on bottom bushing and two flat washers on top bushing.  Turns as close to an ace as I could get it, and I'm pretty stoked.  Also have the option to remove one of the top washers for more flop, if need be.  Shall be sticking with this for a while.  Ran the same set up on some 44s with great results as well.

This is like encouraging your current girlfriend to dye her hair and change her clothes so that you can secretly make her resemble your ex.

Look man, it's over, you gotta let go of the past.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6290 on: September 09, 2019, 04:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is like encouraging your current girlfriend to dye her hair and change her clothes so that you can secretly make her resemble your ex.

Ha. I do appreciate the analogy.
I was wondering more what the advantages were to doing all of this?

Heather Chandler

« Reply #6291 on: September 09, 2019, 08:54:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Just a preference thing.  It's working so, I'm happy.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6292 on: September 10, 2019, 04:57:22 PM »
So what the hell is the trick to getting a really stable feeling truck setup without sacrificing turning? Who got a sweet spot for this (besides just riding Indy). I'm a tiny man at 140 5'9" if that matters at all.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #6293 on: September 10, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »
Aces and ventures foo
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #6294 on: September 10, 2019, 05:29:36 PM »
So what the hell is the trick to getting a really stable feeling truck setup without sacrificing turning? Who got a sweet spot for this (besides just riding Indy). I'm a tiny man at 140 5'9" if that matters at all.

The trick is to set your trucks to where they are stable then realize that you don't really need to turn any sharper than that if you skate at a normal speed.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6295 on: September 10, 2019, 05:41:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just a preference thing.  It's working so, I'm happy.

Happiness in the truck thread. Damn.

Reese

« Reply #6296 on: September 10, 2019, 05:49:05 PM »
We can kill it now

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6297 on: September 10, 2019, 06:27:51 PM »

Happiness in the truck thread. Damn.

Expand Quote
[close]

The trick is to set your trucks to where they are stable then realize that you don't really need to turn any sharper than that if you skate at a normal speed.

Perhaps it's me and the brain is working wrong today, but I'm having difficulty parsing this.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6298 on: September 10, 2019, 10:30:45 PM »

Ride Thunders

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6299 on: September 11, 2019, 12:45:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?