Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231868 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6300 on: September 11, 2019, 02:51:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So what the hell is the trick to getting a really stable feeling truck setup without sacrificing turning? Who got a sweet spot for this (besides just riding Indy). I'm a tiny man at 140 5'9" if that matters at all.
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]

Heywoodfloyd

• Rep: 13
« Reply #6301 on: September 11, 2019, 04:58:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So what the hell is the trick to getting a really stable feeling truck setup without sacrificing turning? Who got a sweet spot for this (besides just riding Indy). I'm a tiny man at 140 5'9" if that matters at all.
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]

I concur.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6302 on: September 11, 2019, 08:56:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 45
« Reply #6303 on: September 11, 2019, 09:33:24 AM »
Can some of you kind folks enlighten me on pros and cons with speed rings...I've been rolling 3 inside and 1 out but I'm curious if there is a consensus on the optimal setup. Is there a point of diminishing returns? Do you need the outside ring?  I like the wider base and the protection for the axle but in all my years I can't say it's something I have given much thought. Shalom in advance. 

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6304 on: September 11, 2019, 10:54:10 AM »
Can some of you kind folks enlighten me on pros and cons with speed rings...I've been rolling 3 inside and 1 out but I'm curious if there is a consensus on the optimal setup. Is there a point of diminishing returns? Do you need the outside ring?  I like the wider base and the protection for the axle but in all my years I can't say it's something I have given much thought. Shalom in advance.

I'm also curious about this, but kind of in the other direction.  I've got some Ace 55s I want to set up on a 8 5/8" board, but I'd just prefer to keep the wheels as close to board width apart as possible.  I was comparing them with my 159s last night and the hanger is pretty much the same width.   Anybody ever run extra speed rings on the outside of the wheel just to protect the axle threads?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6305 on: September 11, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm also curious about this, but kind of in the other direction.  I've got some Ace 55s I want to set up on a 8 5/8" board, but I'd just prefer to keep the wheels as close to board width apart as possible.  I was comparing them with my 159s last night and the hanger is pretty much the same width.   Anybody ever run extra speed rings on the outside of the wheel just to protect the axle threads?

Aces you can run without washers on the inside because of the hanger design. I wouldn't leave outside washers off. The likelihood of the bearing rubbing wrong on the axle nut is pretty big. As for the amount, as long as the nyloc locks in place I don't see there being any disadvantage with using more than one inside and one outside.

ballintoohard

« Reply #6306 on: September 11, 2019, 01:01:21 PM »
Threw my Thunders on today on a setup I had been riding with Indys and..... liking it a lot more with Thunders. Great response without being loose, still getting used to manuals, pop is better. The deck is a Quasi 8.375 and they never change that shape, which is similar to their 8.25. I'd like to thank everyone for putting up with the Madness and wish you all the best in yours. Time for me to exit this thread for good.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6307 on: September 11, 2019, 01:23:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Aces you can run without washers on the inside because of the hanger design. I wouldn't leave outside washers off. The likelihood of the bearing rubbing wrong on the axle nut is pretty big. As for the amount, as long as the nyloc locks in place I don't see there being any disadvantage with using more than one inside and one outside.

Right, thing is I don't want to run the speed rings on the inside because that widens the track and I want it to be as close to board-width (8 5/8") as I can get it.  Since I can set the 55s up without inside speed rings, they should get really close to the same width as 159s, which I would normally ride on an 8 5/8" board.  But then I'd have to crank the axle nuts down so threads were showing past the end.  The issue with that is that I am not good at flip tricks and I will destroy those threads.

Anyway, I thought of putting extra speed rings on the outside to fill the space between the inner bearing race and the inside of the axle nut to get the wheels tight enough (because of no inside speed rings) while keeping the threads from showing.  That way the track stays the right size without worrying about wrecking my trucks from sucking ass at skating.  Basically, it would mean running three speed rings outside and none inside.  Would there be an issue with that?  Hope that makes more sense. 

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6308 on: September 11, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Right, thing is I don't want to run the speed rings on the inside because that widens the track and I want it to be as close to board-width (8 5/8") as I can get it.  Since I can set the 55s up without inside speed rings, they should get really close to the same width as 159s, which I would normally ride on an 8 5/8" board.  But then I'd have to crank the axle nuts down so threads were showing past the end.  The issue with that is that I am not good at flip tricks and I will destroy those threads.

Anyway, I thought of putting extra speed rings on the outside to fill the space between the inner bearing race and the inside of the axle nut to get the wheels tight enough (because of no inside speed rings) while keeping the threads from showing.  That way the track stays the right size without worrying about wrecking my trucks from sucking ass at skating.  Basically, it would mean running three speed rings outside and none inside.  Would there be an issue with that?  Hope that makes more sense.

There wouldn't be any issue with that, no. The nut is going to stick out considerably more than it would (especially if you have narrow wheels), but if it doesn't bother you, go for it.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6309 on: September 11, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »

The 55s are basically a classical 8.75 truck but with an extended 9 inches axle. So I'm also doing that to protect the threads on the axles because I put the wheels directly on the hanger. Never had an issue with this technique.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6310 on: September 11, 2019, 02:17:02 PM »
That's what I figured, guess there's my next setup. Thanks for the help everyone.

Shalom

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6311 on: September 12, 2019, 12:59:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.
[close]

I actually have Thunders on and they felt considerably less easy to balance on than my Indy's, but I started figuring it might have been because I switched my bushing setup over when I switched from Indy to Thunder. I had Ace bushings slightly shaved down, top washer on, bottom washer off. I tried putting the old Thunder bushings on, but could only find the top one, tried that with the Ace bottom and it didn't feel great, threw on the Indy stock orange bottoms with the Thunder top, put both washers in and this made it pretty good. Still doesn't feel as snappy and steady as I want though.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6312 on: September 12, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.
[close]
[close]

I actually have Thunders on and they felt considerably less easy to balance on than my Indy's, but I started figuring it might have been because I switched my bushing setup over when I switched from Indy to Thunder. I had Ace bushings slightly shaved down, top washer on, bottom washer off. I tried putting the old Thunder bushings on, but could only find the top one, tried that with the Ace bottom and it didn't feel great, threw on the Indy stock orange bottoms with the Thunder top, put both washers in and this made it pretty good. Still doesn't feel as snappy and steady as I want though.

Well there’s your problem, you tried to fuck with the formula. Stock bushings on thunders, break em in the old fashioned way.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6313 on: September 12, 2019, 01:30:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.
[close]
[close]

[close]

Well there’s your problem, you tried to fuck with the formula. Stock bushings on thunders, break em in the old fashioned way.

This. If you're switching truck brands, you're doing yourself a disservice running them any other way than stock (at least at first). Plus Thunder have a pretty unique bushing height that's different to any aftermarket size (aside from Thunder replacements). I know people have said they run Bones in Thunders but, just speaking for myself, I'm not convinced that Thunders benefit from anything other than stock bushings.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6314 on: September 12, 2019, 01:38:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

This. If you're switching truck brands, you're doing yourself a disservice running them any other way than stock (at least at first). Plus Thunder have a pretty unique bushing height that's different to any aftermarket size (aside from Thunder replacements). I know people have said they run Bones in Thunders but, just speaking for myself, I'm not convinced that Thunders benefit from anything other than stock bushings.

Damn thanks for the heads up, I just assumed that since every other companies stock setup is trash I should just switch in my old gear off the bat - gonna go find those original bottom bushings right now

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6315 on: September 12, 2019, 02:01:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

This.
I’m not sure any trucks greatly benefit from bushing swaps. It can suck to break in new bushings, but if they are just left alone and slowly broken in....seems to work out better for me, across the board. I’ll swap some other stuff in here or there, can’t say it makes me skate any better.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6316 on: September 12, 2019, 02:16:02 PM »
Indy's undoubtedly benefit from the aftermarkets of the same brand. Other than that, Theeves do better with Bones mediums compared to the hardcore bushings that come stock.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6317 on: September 12, 2019, 05:41:01 PM »
Indy's undoubtedly benefit from the aftermarkets of the same brand. Other than that, Theeves do better with Bones mediums compared to the hardcore bushings that come stock.

For sure, Indy stocks don't work for everyone, but if you keep the bushings to the same brand then all is usually well. And considering Theeve's were designed around Bones that makes sense too.

As much as I can get down for setup weirdness, having different brand bushings top and bottom or shaving just the top down or having to go find different washers gives me anxiety (personally. If it works for you have at it).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6318 on: September 12, 2019, 06:07:59 PM »

Theeve's stock 'Hardcore' bushings do a disservice to the trucks; no idea why they chose to go with hard.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:14:59 AM by Xen »

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6319 on: September 13, 2019, 04:18:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Ride Thunders
[close]
[close]
[close]

I concur.
[close]
[close]

[close]

I recently put bones hards in my thunders and idk if I love it or not. Seems stable but wheel bite more than when I had the stock bushings in. I put washer bottom bushing then top bushing no washer. To get the same height in bottom and top as the stocks.

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #6320 on: September 13, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »
Sorta thinking about trying flat washers on Ventures, anyone tried this? Just looking for a tiny bit more squeeze in turns, but still riding medium tight. What hardware would work (I.e from hardware store) anyone know?

If it totally collapses the stability/lack of wheelbite I won’t bother to be fair...

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6321 on: September 13, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
Sorta thinking about trying flat washers on Ventures, anyone tried this? Just looking for a tiny bit more squeeze in turns, but still riding medium tight. What hardware would work (I.e from hardware store) anyone know?

If it totally collapses the stability/lack of wheelbite I won’t bother to be fair...

The flat washers from bones bushing worked for me. Some of my ventures have crazy marks on the anger from the stock washers, which does limit the turn (obviously). I don’t feel less stable.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6322 on: September 13, 2019, 04:14:16 PM »

I got bones bushings (hard bottom medium top) with no washers and top flat bones washer in my Ventures. Everyone says stock everything works best on Ventures but I personally just like the quicker snap back to centre that you get from bones.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6323 on: September 14, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
Has there been any consensus about which way Indy bushings are supposed to face? Just got a new set of 149 Standards and the machined side of the bottom barrel bushing is facing boardside. This goes against everything I've ever thought about bushings and it's bothering my OCD lol

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6324 on: September 14, 2019, 04:13:44 PM »
bottom bushing flat side in the cup washer, curved side hanger.

shit, had this assbackwards  :-[
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:14:07 PM by BL0B »

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #6325 on: September 14, 2019, 04:34:45 PM »
curved in the cup washer, flat side hanger.

Thanks! They installed them exactly opposite of that at the factory  :-\

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6326 on: September 15, 2019, 04:27:05 PM »
I suspect this has been addressed here already, but combing through the search results has been only partially informative, so I’ll go ahead and ask with the specifics of my situation as details, in hopes that the collective SLAP minds can share some insights and/or solutions.
I just stepped up to 8.75” decks, from 8.5”.
Sized up my trucks to match: went from Thunder 149s to 151s and put Bones (medium) bushings in ‘em with no bottom washer/cup & flat washers on top.
Problem: the bottom bushing keeps bulging out from under the yoke.
I rode the same set up on the 149s for years, but never had this problem. Do I have a bummer set of bushings? They’re BOTH doing it, in the exact same way, so more likely is the possibility that the additional leverage generated by the wider hanger is, at least in part, the culprit. Maybe the rebated nature of the yoke (for weight saving?) affords too little of a lip to hold the bushing in place?
Beyond going back to a stock set-up, does anybody have any advice, or maybe a suggest for old Lou?
Thanks, and of course...
Hugs!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 194
« Reply #6327 on: September 15, 2019, 06:25:43 PM »
I suspect this has been addressed here already, but combing through the search results has been only partially informative, so I’ll go ahead and ask with the specifics of my situation as details, in hopes that the collective SLAP minds can share some insights and/or solutions.
I just stepped up to 8.75” decks, from 8.5”.
Sized up my trucks to match: went from Thunder 149s to 151s and put Bones (medium) bushings in ‘em with no bottom washer/cup & flat washers on top.
Problem: the bottom bushing keeps bulging out from under the yoke.
I rode the same set up on the 149s for years, but never had this problem. Do I have a bummer set of bushings? They’re BOTH doing it, in the exact same way, so more likely is the possibility that the additional leverage generated by the wider hanger is, at least in part, the culprit. Maybe the rebated nature of the yoke (for weight saving?) affords too little of a lip to hold the bushing in place?
Beyond going back to a stock set-up, does anybody have any advice, or maybe a suggest for old Lou?
Thanks, and of course...
Hugs!

I had this problem with multiple sets of bones on 151's. I get the aftermarket Thunder bushings now and have no problems. 

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6328 on: September 15, 2019, 06:30:08 PM »
You want the white Thunder Bushings. 90a.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2210
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #6329 on: September 16, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
Thanks, gang.
‘Preciate the consult.
I’m gon’ look into that, pronto.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?