Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232964 times)

TooManyPros

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 59
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6330 on: September 16, 2019, 02:57:23 PM »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6331 on: September 16, 2019, 03:57:39 PM »
I know it sounds dumb to ride ace tight but I only ride tight but still want some turn and ace does the trick with some bones hards

Tight but still has some smooth give

Does anyone else get the feeling black bushings are usually harder than white bushings?

Cause I’m thinking the black bones hards would feel somewhat harder than the regular white urethane ones
yes

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6332 on: September 16, 2019, 04:51:37 PM »
Thunder 147 Hollow Lights (completely raw)

Bones Hardcore Mediums (black/yellow)

Only use the black washer that comes with the bushings

Use the stock speed rings/washers that come with the trucks, one on each side of the wheel/bearing

Rear kingpin nut is flush, front is showing one thread

Currently on an 8.0" deck but I need to step up to an 8.15-8.25 and I'm always riding 52mm wheels.  Get pretty gnarly wheelbite when they're brand new due to the thinner forged baseplate but I grew up skating Venture Lows so it's worth dealing with.  I weigh like 175-180lbs depending on the day.  I really need to get a tranny set up with some higher trucks/larger wheels.  Literally just started skating again after many years (fuck heroin) so I only have this setup right now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 04:53:24 PM by Woos »

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6333 on: September 16, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »
Hey anyone got protips for getting the pivot cups out? finally got riptides to try out and the stock Thunders are fucking impossible to remove.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6334 on: September 16, 2019, 06:35:56 PM »
Hey anyone got protips for getting the pivot cups out? finally got riptides to try out and the stock Thunders are fucking impossible to remove.

Try using the axle of your truck to make a lever.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6335 on: September 16, 2019, 06:39:18 PM »

Needle nose pliers

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #6336 on: September 16, 2019, 06:53:59 PM »
anyone else boil their bushings?

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #6337 on: September 16, 2019, 07:06:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Needle nose pliers

I got a surgical operation going with an exacto knife, boxcutter, flat head screw driver, and needle bose pliers and it's still not happening

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6338 on: September 16, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
anyone else boil their bushings?

I have boiled stock bushings back in the day but now that I just swap them out with Bones Mediums I haven't had a reason.  If I blow a bushing and I'm in a pinch I might boil some stock Thunder ones though.  Shit I should just do that now since I have them sitting in my skate bag for emergencies.

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6339 on: September 16, 2019, 10:00:33 PM »
I skate 8.3-8.5 boards w/ 44’s on them these days, but i have my old setup at work to skate some flatground every now and then, 8” board with 139’s and while flipping it feels alot easier I miss that extra space and stability of my current set up. Not going back 😁

Same story here as well.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6340 on: September 17, 2019, 07:02:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Needle nose pliers
[close]

I got a surgical operation going with an exacto knife, boxcutter, flat head screw driver, and needle bose pliers and it's still not happening

You should have this sorted by now but a little heat goes a long way, once they start to come out they just slide and your like "what the fuck was that all about?!" I feel your pain. (Wait till you try and get a kingpin out those fuckers)
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6341 on: September 18, 2019, 05:40:00 PM »
soon

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6342 on: September 19, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »
161s looking good.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6343 on: September 19, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Sorta thinking about trying flat washers on Ventures, anyone tried this? Just looking for a tiny bit more squeeze in turns, but still riding medium tight. What hardware would work (I.e from hardware store) anyone know?

If it totally collapses the stability/lack of wheelbite I won’t bother to be fair...
[close]

I got bones bushings (hard bottom medium top) with no washers and top flat bones washer in my Ventures. Everyone says stock everything works best on Ventures but I personally just like the quicker snap back to centre that you get from bones.

Same here but Medium bottoms, soft tops, bones washers top and bottom.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6344 on: September 19, 2019, 11:22:00 AM »
I use the stock Venture top washer as bottom washer with Bones bushings, not top washer.

whenyousleep

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6345 on: September 19, 2019, 11:57:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sorta thinking about trying flat washers on Ventures, anyone tried this? Just looking for a tiny bit more squeeze in turns, but still riding medium tight. What hardware would work (I.e from hardware store) anyone know?

If it totally collapses the stability/lack of wheelbite I won’t bother to be fair...
[close]

I got bones bushings (hard bottom medium top) with no washers and top flat bones washer in my Ventures. Everyone says stock everything works best on Ventures but I personally just like the quicker snap back to centre that you get from bones.
[close]

How do you not destroy both the medium bottom and soft top bushings? I feel like every time I've had bones bushings that weren't the hard ones, the cores always split from the bottoms.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6346 on: September 20, 2019, 01:35:53 AM »
what bushings are closest to stock or a good feeling set for a set of Film Trucks? I have the feeling my Thunder's are gonna give up the ghost soon and I somehow came up on a spare set of Film's that haven't been skated much but alas I have no idea what bushing are in them but I know they're not stock.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #6347 on: September 20, 2019, 09:31:18 AM »
Can you guys recommend a good blank for thunder 149s? I had a mellow concave minilogo on indys and it was good. But I switched to thunders and it’s horrible on them. The tail and nose are really flat so there’s no space to get any pop. It doesn’t look like they are selling their steep nose and tail deck anymore in 8.5 so I’m not sure what to get. Pretty much looking for a steep nose/tail in 8.5 I guess. Haven’t ridden thunders since I was like a kid so I don’t know what works for them.

Prefer a blank to save some cash. Read that skate warehouse blanks might be what I’m looking for.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6348 on: September 20, 2019, 12:15:24 PM »
Can you guys recommend a good blank for thunder 149s? I had a mellow concave minilogo on indys and it was good. But I switched to thunders and it’s horrible on them. The tail and nose are really flat so there’s no space to get any pop. It doesn’t look like they are selling their steep nose and tail deck anymore in 8.5 so I’m not sure what to get. Pretty much looking for a steep nose/tail in 8.5 I guess. Haven’t ridden thunders since I was like a kid so I don’t know what works for them.

Prefer a blank to save some cash. Read that skate warehouse blanks might be what I’m looking for.

Tactics - BBS wood for $30-$35 shipped, with grip.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/skateboard-decks/rs-8.5

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #6349 on: September 20, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tactics - BBS wood for $30-$35 shipped, with grip.

https://www.tactics.com/tactics/skateboard-decks/rs-8.5
thanks dude. Picked up the bowling leaisure series. I actually like that graphic. Especially because my mom likes to bowl and I’ve been going with her lol.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6350 on: September 20, 2019, 05:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

How do you not destroy both the medium bottom and soft top bushings? I feel like every time I've had bones bushings that weren't the hard ones, the cores always split from the bottoms.

I've ridden them off and on for years and never had a problem with them (aside from the plastic top due to smiths or feebs).

Never blown them out on theeves, never cracked them.

Different trucks, terrain, even different styles of skating (I skate everything but vert) and the only constant is I ride wheelbite loose so maybe that's it?

FWIW, the black bushings are always softer no matter the hardness (especially over time where the regs seem to harden up if they're not used).

Diocletian

« Reply #6351 on: September 20, 2019, 08:46:45 PM »
Local got in new stock of Indy’s, many were the new fully made in China ones with the axle tag to indicate. The new cast versions have a dimple that sticks out in the blank spot that used to have USA in it as another indicator.

Whether it was the cast, forged hollow, or forged titanium’s, the China’s were noticeably better looking quality. Cleaner casting, no hanger aluminum bleed onto the axle, stock bushings and pivot cups are aftermarket quality. I got the titanium’s, and the stock bushings have excellent rebound and go back to center like Bones. I back these new Indy’s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6352 on: September 20, 2019, 11:53:16 PM »
Local got in new stock of Indy’s, many were the new fully made in China ones with the axle tag to indicate. The new cast versions have a dimple that sticks out in the blank spot that used to have USA in it as another indicator.

Whether it was the cast, forged hollow, or forged titanium’s, the China’s were noticeably better looking quality. Cleaner casting, no hanger aluminum bleed onto the axle, stock bushings and pivot cups are aftermarket quality. I got the titanium’s, and the stock bushings have excellent rebound and go back to center like Bones. I back these new Indy’s.

Size? My cast 159s, USA, are as nice as any truck I’ve ever had. Love em. I am just too weak to skate trucks that big. 3 flip is soooo hard

Diocletian

« Reply #6353 on: September 21, 2019, 08:47:10 AM »
I went with 139 titaniums with two washers on the inside to push the wheels out on an 8.28” board. It’s so light!

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6354 on: September 21, 2019, 09:24:26 AM »
I went with 139 titaniums with two washers on the inside to push the wheels out on an 8.28” board. It’s so light!

I’ve been flirting with a setup of mine that’s basically the same except  hollow/forged, with 3 washers on the inside. Indy’s are strong enough that I can always do dumb shit like this and not worry about bending the axles or whatever. I’m not sure why I’m so committed to not skating 139s. Something (several thing tbh) about Independent bum me out, but they still seem to work the best....I think..

Diocletian

« Reply #6355 on: September 21, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
Yep, that’s the thing with Indy is you can rely on the strength. Forged is key, too. Ace are my truck but after bending two trucks in a row and breaking a bunch of baseplates, they just can’t stand up to Indy in that regard. We’ll see with these upcoming redesigns if they’ll finally get their shit together. I usually ride wide trucks but decided to go with the small 139’s this time around. I’ve rode smaller set-ups in the past so it’s not hard to get used to. Grab some 139’s man! You could go for 144’s, too.

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6356 on: September 22, 2019, 06:50:53 PM »
question.
my indy's are pretty worn down, to the point that i'm hitting the kingpin nut, but i don't want to buy another set just yet because i feel there's still some life left in them. However it's time to replace the bushings. I usually ride bones medium bushings, but with the kingpin nut basically only just on, or with maybe 1-2mm of thread showing. I'm considering getting the soft bushings and just cranking the top nut down a bit further, thinking i might achieve the same kinda looseness but getting less kingpin bite. Any experienced truck setup veterans have any input on if this is a bad idea or not?

thanks in advance
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

Pissedoff30y/oskatedad

• Rep: -57
« Reply #6357 on: September 22, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »
question.
my indy's are pretty worn down, to the point that i'm hitting the kingpin nut, but i don't want to buy another set just yet because i feel there's still some life left in them. However it's time to replace the bushings. I usually ride bones medium bushings, but with the kingpin nut basically only just on, or with maybe 1-2mm of thread showing. I'm considering getting the soft bushings and just cranking the top nut down a bit further, thinking i might achieve the same kinda looseness but getting less kingpin bite. Any experienced truck setup veterans have any input on if this is a bad idea or not?

thanks in advance

Might lessen the radius of the turn but who knows maybe it wouldnt wven be noticeable

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6358 on: September 23, 2019, 09:34:46 AM »
I’m not buying bones bushings anymore. Nothing was wrong with the old ways
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Diocletian

« Reply #6359 on: September 24, 2019, 09:41:35 AM »
Really digging the new Indy’s. Stock bushings have excellent rebound and I’m 210lbs getting barely any wheelbite with 56mm wheels on the forged titanium’s. Almost feels like they secretly revamped the geo slightly, or perhaps the forged just turn better?