Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231518 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6360 on: September 24, 2019, 12:09:52 PM »
It's not much of a difference in height but I have always preferred Indy Forged Hollows and Thunder forged plates.

AssFlea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
« Reply #6361 on: September 28, 2019, 01:24:59 PM »
I have yet to view the review but Ben Degros has a set of Grind Kings.
I like Ben
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6362 on: September 29, 2019, 04:16:43 AM »
I honestly thought my rear truck would be the first to go since it's down to the axle and cracked, yet I moved my board earlier and noticed an existing crack on the front truck had got bigger, I blinked and it shrunk and then I noticed this.

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #6363 on: September 29, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
question.
my indy's are pretty worn down, to the point that i'm hitting the kingpin nut, but i don't want to buy another set just yet because i feel there's still some life left in them. However it's time to replace the bushings. I usually ride bones medium bushings, but with the kingpin nut basically only just on, or with maybe 1-2mm of thread showing. I'm considering getting the soft bushings and just cranking the top nut down a bit further, thinking i might achieve the same kinda looseness but getting less kingpin bite. Any experienced truck setup veterans have any input on if this is a bad idea or not?

thanks in advance
I've been in your shoes and riding two top bushings per truck was kinda weird but actually worked pretty well. It's worth a try imo. Softs will most likely blow out if you crank down on them and there goes 10 bucks.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Diocletian

« Reply #6364 on: September 29, 2019, 06:51:04 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed how the aftermarket Indy conicals have a taller bottom bushing than stock? Changes the geo and I can’t even get the kingpin nut on when I put it all together. ???

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6365 on: September 29, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
No dawg, it’s just you.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6366 on: September 29, 2019, 09:01:12 PM »
Has anyone ever noticed how the aftermarket Indy conicals have a taller bottom bushing than stock? Changes the geo and I can’t even get the kingpin nut on when I put it all together. ???

I'm 95% sure it's from the stocks sitting, compressed and tightened, for however many days/months/years before they get to the customer. Whereas the aftermarkets never touch truck before you buy them. Just tighten them down and ride them flush for a week.

AssFlea

« Reply #6367 on: September 29, 2019, 09:59:49 PM »
I honestly thought my rear truck would be the first to go since it's down to the axle and cracked, yet I moved my board earlier and noticed an existing crack on the front truck had got bigger, I blinked and it shrunk and then I noticed this.

human garbage
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

AssFlea

« Reply #6368 on: September 29, 2019, 10:02:50 PM »

get out of my brain dood

I was yacking with my brother about this earlier
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #6369 on: September 29, 2019, 11:00:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm 95% sure it's from the stocks sitting, compressed and tightened, for however many days/months/years before they get to the customer. Whereas the aftermarkets never touch truck before you buy them. Just tighten them down and ride them flush for a week.

This!

Also, I got a set of Indy aftermarkets this weekend and to break them in faster I tried the boiling thing.
So what I did is that I took them from the boiling water straight to the truck, tighten them super hard and stood on my skateboard while balancing back and forth to soften them up. Then I left them over night, and in the morning I loosen the trucks to flush which is what I usually ride.
Conclusion, they where way tooo loose. The bushings actually got thinner because of the heat and preasure.
About 3 mm thinner in each bushing (which is a lot). I thought I fucked the bushings over but I boiled them again and they got back to the original shape.

I guess this method could help people to reduce the high of the bushing without having to shave them down.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6370 on: September 30, 2019, 12:08:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This!

Also, I got a set of Indy aftermarkets this weekend and to break them in faster I tried the boiling thing.
So what I did is that I took them from the boiling water straight to the truck, tighten them super hard and stood on my skateboard while balancing back and forth to soften them up. Then I left them over night, and in the morning I loosen the trucks to flush which is what I usually ride.
Conclusion, they where way tooo loose. The bushings actually got thinner because of the heat and preasure.
About 3 mm thinner in each bushing (which is a lot). I thought I fucked the bushings over but I boiled them again and they got back to the original shape.

I guess this method could help people to reduce the high of the bushing without having to shave them down.

Haha! 😂 This is some rob level truck fuckery! I love it! 👌🤦‍♂️❤️👍

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6371 on: September 30, 2019, 07:20:21 AM »
So I've been skating the just straight up Indy 139 since 2009 and now all of a sudden I'm really struggling on them 😬 I went through three sets of bushings on my last set this spring and none of them took, and then I went ahead and got new trucks and have been having the same issues (with both the stock and after market bushings).

Like I just can't get the bushings set comfortably anymore😭 but now because I've felt so uncomfortable on them that they feel too high or something. They just don't feel stable.

So I'm considering getting the Indy Lows now that they're selling those again. Has anybody had any experience with those? I mean from a turning standpoint they're gonna be better than Ventures right?

Ultimately I'm probably gonna jump to Thunders but want to rule out maybe just needing lower trucks first. It's just frustrating because for 10 years trucks were the last thing I've had issues with.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6372 on: September 30, 2019, 07:56:59 AM »
I think Indy low is being discontinued in place of a mid....thunders are lower so that might be the best way out...the other thing to consider is just sizing up to 44's so it just feels less tippy and maybe better proportioned. 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6373 on: September 30, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »
Advice needed from the setup/truck wizards:

I’ve always struggled (more) on 149s. They look cool, feel great, turn, more stable, all of that is rad. Cannot get them to turnover/flip/rotate. I usually get pretty bummed, and switch, manically, back n forth between a bunch of other things. I’ll skate lo’s, small boards, big boards, flip/flop. I like the pop of an Indy (I realize that most of my truck fuckery centers around on the ‘pop feel’ of the truck), ease of a venture, I’ll randomly have great days on thunder....I’m generally just trying to skate some flat ground, but also push through the city. Being able to occasionally skate a wheel 52mm and up with out instant wheelbite is nice, as is the bigger board for the cruisin.

Has anyone that moved to 5.6/144/148 been really stoked and felt like that was the move? I generally want to skate boards 7.9-8.3 ish. I’m old, this should be settled. Every skate day (once/twice a week) on something different isn’t helping.

Please and thanks.

What a find

« Reply #6374 on: September 30, 2019, 09:35:44 AM »
Generally yes, size down if you feel the need

Ultimately the real answer is (Ace on 56's) strengthen your lower body and keep what you have

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6375 on: September 30, 2019, 09:50:46 AM »
I skate 8.0 with 8.25 trucks, I love it.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6376 on: September 30, 2019, 10:03:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies.
I agree that the lower body needs to strengthen, and Ollies with 56mm wheels are way better. Everything else not so much.
BBK: I’ll lrolly go that route. In the last you’ve seemed fairly truck agnostic, what’s current preferred?

Has anyone felt like a truck size was too big, but then bought it in a lighter offering (titanium) and then it felt right? Does lighter shit mean you can skate bigger sizes is what I’m trying to say. Anyways. Carry on, and thanks for any opinions

Diocletian

« Reply #6377 on: September 30, 2019, 10:13:27 AM »
Glad I’m not the only one who has that aftermarket Indy problem. I’ll just keep the new higher quality stocks in, they’re fine.

To the gentleman saying his 139’s are feeling tippy and not suiting you well, I recommend just grabbing the forged versions. I’m on the Ti 139’s and they’re amazing fully stock, they’ll sit a little lower and won’t feel tippy. If you’ve been used to Indy this is your safest bet instead of switching to Thunder which sit really low and won’t turn as good.

To the other gentleman, I’ve been riding huge Ace 55’s and 66’s on 9” boards all summer and I went all the way down to a 8.25” board with the Ti 139’s and it wasn’t hard to get used to at all. Gotta aim a little higher for grinds on transition and hop up on that curb more centered when you’re slappying but the lightness and overall more maneuverability is a huge advantage with a smaller board/light truck set-up. No risers and I’m running 56mm wheels. Feels perfect all-around.

Edit: I also wanna say when you’re going up to 8.75”-9.0” boards with the wider trucks to fit, even if you’re on Ace’s the naturally longer wheelbase on those board sizes and the wider trucks will slow that turn down compared to a 8.0”-8.25” deck/truck. I suspect if I had 8.5” Indy’s on this board I wouldn’t like it as much. Wide might feel more stable but for me I get more turn out of a skinner set-up and I don’t feel any less stable.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 10:19:15 AM by Diocletian »

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6378 on: September 30, 2019, 11:10:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

BBK: I’ll lrolly go that route. In the last you’ve seemed fairly truck agnostic, what’s current preferred?

I'm still skating my mag destructo d1's, but I've wanted 8.25ish trucks for a couple years, ever since I got my first pair of 5.5/8.18 theeve, it just makes sense to me, having the wheels pretty much flush with the board instead of the axle.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6379 on: September 30, 2019, 11:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for the replies.

[close]
I'm still skating my mag destructo d1's, but I've wanted 8.25ish trucks for a couple years, ever since I got my first pair of 5.5/8.18 theeve, it just makes sense to me, having the wheels pretty much flush with the board instead of the axle.

Cool, thanks.
Appreciate you being able to decipher my autocorrect nonsense.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6380 on: September 30, 2019, 12:33:44 PM »
i held down the over 40 under 8 program for the first half but now I've sized up to 148 thunders. I like it...an 8.125 feels like an 8....an 8.25 feels like an 8.25....

The thunders are lower and feel less bulky and I skate smaller wheels 51's so it's a well balanced set up.  To me that's always something to consider is that you can make 148's/144's feel nimble if you switch up a few things....I just did it namely though because 8's were getting tougher to get. 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6381 on: September 30, 2019, 02:00:50 PM »
Advice needed from the setup/truck wizards:

I’ve always struggled (more) on 149s. They look cool, feel great, turn, more stable, all of that is rad. Cannot get them to turnover/flip/rotate. I usually get pretty bummed, and switch, manically, back n forth between a bunch of other things. I’ll skate lo’s, small boards, big boards, flip/flop. I like the pop of an Indy (I realize that most of my truck fuckery centers around on the ‘pop feel’ of the truck), ease of a venture, I’ll randomly have great days on thunder....I’m generally just trying to skate some flat ground, but also push through the city. Being able to occasionally skate a wheel 52mm and up with out instant wheelbite is nice, as is the bigger board for the cruisin.

Has anyone that moved to 5.6/144/148 been really stoked and felt like that was the move? I generally want to skate boards 7.9-8.3 ish. I’m old, this should be settled. Every skate day (once/twice a week) on something different isn’t helping.

Please and thanks.

Have you tried lighter - moving to the Ti version of the trucks?  Seems like with both Indy and Thunder the Ti version 149 is lighter than the normal 144/148

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6382 on: September 30, 2019, 02:52:19 PM »
i held down the over 40 under 8 program for the first half but now I've sized up to 148 thunders. I like it...an 8.125 feels like an 8....an 8.25 feels like an 8.25....

The thunders are lower and feel less bulky and I skate smaller wheels 51's so it's a well balanced set up.  To me that's always something to consider is that you can make 148's/144's feel nimble if you switch up a few things....I just did it namely though because 8's were getting tougher to get.

Agree totally with first paragraph.

I think I’ll try something in titanium 8.25

Thanks ya’ll

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6383 on: September 30, 2019, 04:09:10 PM »
I watched the Ben Degros Grind King video and saw the axle length on the 5.5 is 8.125. 

It turns out the 6.0 is an odd size as well - 8.625"

https://www.strange-house.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_104&products_id=9466

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6384 on: September 30, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »
Anyone have any opinions on Thunders for a tranny skater? Wanting to round out my skating a bit more, more ledges and rails ect but still want to be comfy skating tranny since that’s what I like best. Thinking of putting them on my Baker 8.5 14.5wb with 56 Conical Fulls. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:45:40 PM by texasplant »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6385 on: September 30, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
They don't carve as well as an Indy or an Ace....but they are stable...you'll just get used to them I think but if you ditched them and got on indys you wouldn't be bummed....

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6386 on: September 30, 2019, 08:45:46 PM »
They don't carve as well as an Indy or an Ace....but they are stable...you'll just get used to them I think but if you ditched them and got on indys you wouldn't be bummed....

Skated Indy for 10 years, time for a change. Not a fan of stage 11. On Aces now, while I don’t hate them, I want a wider truck and 44’s aren’t cutting it and 55’s aren’t my favourite. Plus trying to step up some tech stuff is my reason for even thinking about Thunders. Maybe I’ll try my old 149 Thunders with extra washers before I buy some 151’s.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6387 on: September 30, 2019, 08:55:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skated Indy for 10 years, time for a change. Not a fan of stage 11. On Aces now, while I don’t hate them, I want a wider truck and 44’s aren’t cutting it and 55’s aren’t my favourite. Plus trying to step up some tech stuff is my reason for even thinking about Thunders. Maybe I’ll try my old 149 Thunders with extra washers before I buy some 151’s.

Ace has new sizes coming out sometime in Nov/Dec.   Rumors are a real 8.5 and an additional 8.75.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6388 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:59 PM »
I watched the Ben Degros Grind King video and saw the axle length on the 5.5 is 8.125. 

It turns out the 6.0 is an odd size as well - 8.625"

https://www.strange-house.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_104&products_id=9466

I kinda wanna test those out.  :-X

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6389 on: September 30, 2019, 10:22:24 PM »
Aces are the vegan of truck set-ups
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes