Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232254 times)

cosmicgypsies

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6390 on: October 01, 2019, 02:56:07 AM »
Anyone have any opinions on Thunders for a tranny skater? Wanting to round out my skating a bit more, more ledges and rails ect but still want to be comfy skating tranny since that’s what I like best. Thinking of putting them on my Baker 8.5 14.5wb with 56 Conical Fulls. Any thoughts?

i'd say i'm more competent at skating transition than anything else and have skated thunders for 3/4 years. might wanna loosen them up a little as obviously you wont be hitting as deep/quick carves as say indy, ace etc with stock thunders but you'll have no issues. will definitely want to put risers on there though.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #6391 on: October 01, 2019, 04:12:45 AM »
I watched the Ben Degros Grind King video and saw the axle length on the 5.5 is 8.125. 

It turns out the 6.0 is an odd size as well - 8.625"

https://www.strange-house.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_104&products_id=9466

I mentioned this in another thread but after watching his vid I'd say it's likely that they're being made by the same people as tensor. They share a few of the same quirks - the weird in-between axle sizes, the recessed bushing seat in the baseplates, and the squeaky pivot cups. I could be wrong but it just seems like they have a lot in common. If anyone has both I'd interested to hear what you think about that theory.

Just got my first pair of mini-logo 8.38s in the mail. Going to try them out once I get up and moving but they're pretty much what I was expecting. Weight was 342.6 grams for one truck and 342.7 for the other, so pretty light for a 8.38 solid axle truck. They do have a massive cavity in the baseplate which is probably where most of the weight savings comes from. Going to start with the stock bushings and see how I get along with them then change if needed. Interestingly these also have a recessed bushing seat in the baseplate.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6392 on: October 01, 2019, 08:43:39 AM »
Aces are the vegan of truck set-ups

Hahahaha, in that whomever doing it, will announce unprovoked? True true

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6393 on: October 01, 2019, 08:45:46 AM »
Anyone have any opinions on Thunders for a tranny skater? Wanting to round out my skating a bit more, more ledges and rails ect but still want to be comfy skating tranny since that’s what I like best. Thinking of putting them on my Baker 8.5 14.5wb with 56 Conical Fulls. Any thoughts?

Thunders are just fine on tranny. Mine are broken in to shot though....

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6394 on: October 01, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunders are just fine on tranny. Mine are broken in to shot though....

Thunders are fine on tranny, just know they slight extend your wheelbase, and 14.5 is already on the long side

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6395 on: October 01, 2019, 07:59:23 PM »
Guys I’m back

Been working again and trying to pay my bills and dues

But I did get some skating in here and there and made a discovery once again in myself

Turns out I have way more consistency and flow riding medium loose

I thought I liked low and medium tight

Turns out it was just me trying to live in the past

Was riding the royal standard 5.25 and they were really good, pops quick and solid like Mikey C wanted them to be designed. Very good for flip tricks.

Then I got madness and threw on my ace 03 lows, they were hard to get tight cause aces aren’t made to be tight but I managed with some bones hards and it was alright, not the best the aces could have been

Then a few nights ago on a quiver setup that I use for my standard height trucks I had my ace 44 classics on and only tightened them flush, maybe 1 thread over but no more

Brought it with me on a flat sesh to break the rust and didn’t have a tool to tighten them

So I man’d Up, didn’t kook out and skated them as they are and man oh man was it a good sesh

Loving those 44 classics, can’t wait to grab a set of the new ones in December

The way they were loose was just right, unlike Indy’s they rebound and bounce back to a certain stability so you can actually get a nice pop on tricks

Just ordered some destructo d1 standards and gonna see how those turn out, hopefully they aren’t too tall and heavy

Anyone know the height of the current destructo d1?
yes

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6396 on: October 01, 2019, 08:07:55 PM »
Expand Quote
I watched the Ben Degros Grind King video and saw the axle length on the 5.5 is 8.125. 

It turns out the 6.0 is an odd size as well - 8.625"

https://www.strange-house.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_104&products_id=9466
[close]

I kinda wanna test those out.  :-X

I hope to score a set this winter. I just have no cash and have lots of extra shit rn.

GK is the only non thunder truck I rode back in the. I had GK king pins before that.

I'm hoping a homie will buy a set and then trade me for a set of Indys. I have like 2 pairs and a set of thunder and I'm on aces rn.
I'm stocked up for the next 2 years easily
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #6397 on: October 01, 2019, 09:52:40 PM »
Thunders are the fucking shit. I put in my old Indy bushing when I got them because the stock ones seemed so shitty. I put them back on over the weekend just for fun and skating today they felt so much better. I wonder if the geometry was off without the stock ones because now with them in I couldn’t help just turning in circles forever. It felt so fluid. I have never had a board feel so smooth.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6398 on: October 01, 2019, 10:01:08 PM »
Thunders are the fucking shit. I put in my old Indy bushing when I got them because the stock ones seemed so shitty. I put them back on over the weekend just for fun and skating today they felt so much better. I wonder if the geometry was off without the stock ones because now with them in I couldn’t help just turning in circles forever. It felt so fluid. I have never had a board feel so smooth.

Which thunders? I just went out on some 147s, they definitely wheelbite pretty easy even with 50mm wheels....but the kickflips were nice

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6399 on: October 01, 2019, 10:08:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Which thunders? I just went out on some 147s, they definitely wheelbite pretty easy even with 50mm wheels....but the kickflips were nice
149’s. I got a deck with steep concave and I just put on some 51mm tablet form 4s. I haven’t been able to do too many tricks because I’m just coming back from an injury. I might get some risers but I need to try again after tightening them up some. Forgot my tool today after putting the bushing back on.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6400 on: October 01, 2019, 10:19:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
149’s. I got a deck with steep concave and I just put on some 51mm tablet form 4s. I haven’t been able to do too many tricks because I’m just coming back from an injury. I might get some risers but I need to try again after tightening them up some. Forgot my tool today after putting the bushing back on.

I’ve never found the best thunder risers.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6401 on: October 01, 2019, 10:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I haven’t used risers at all in like 20 years.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6402 on: October 01, 2019, 10:36:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

is it just me, or do you get these deep gashes in the bushing seat of the hanger? like, when you turn, the top washer maxes out. and cuts into the hanger. that’s why I always go crazy when I get thunders (147’s) I tried putting bones in there with a flat top washer, but they turn all weird.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6403 on: October 02, 2019, 05:46:25 AM »
just do stock bushings with bones washer, that is how i avoid already cut bushings from getting worse.

the turn will feel a little looser, but good.

PMA

Chaos Acoustic

« Reply #6404 on: October 02, 2019, 05:52:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

BONES risers for Thunder. They have the slots and they don’t hang over past the baseplate at all.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6405 on: October 02, 2019, 08:22:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
BONES risers for Thunder. They have the slots and they don’t hang over past the baseplate at all.
Bones ones are my favorite. Thunder ones are slotted so they work fine.
I have bones cause I run kurx DL king pins in thunder Ti so need a little extra room and cut a groove between the ears.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6406 on: October 02, 2019, 10:35:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

How about…                   Thunder Risers?
https://thedayoff.fi/tuote/thunder-1-8-riser-black/

Bones work nicely too.

ballintoohard

« Reply #6407 on: October 02, 2019, 10:45:17 AM »
Am I the only person who likes Thunder forged plates? Never felt a need for anything higher. I actually don't think I have even touched the kingpin nuts on my Ti Hollow Lites.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6408 on: October 02, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
So I’m not a expert on trucks at all, so I thought I would ask all the truck nerds. I ride my axle nuts as tight as possible. I have noticed some times one of my wheels won’t free spin very good, if I loosen it up it’s fine and after a couple days I can crank it back down tight. Any clue what’s going on? I don’t think my axle is slipping? Also I know some people like to use more than two speed rings per wheel, I know the main reason is to control were the wheel sits on the axle, but out side of that is there any other advantage to say doubling up on the speed rings?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6409 on: October 02, 2019, 10:29:40 PM »
So I’m not a expert on trucks at all, so I thought I would ask all the truck nerds. I ride my axle nuts as tight as possible. I have noticed some times one of my wheels won’t free spin very good, if I loosen it up it’s fine and after a couple days I can crank it back down tight. Any clue what’s going on? I don’t think my axle is slipping? Also I know some people like to use more than two speed rings per wheel, I know the main reason is to control were the wheel sits on the axle, but out side of that is there any other advantage to say doubling up on the speed rings?

Slightly more truck space to lock into grinds.

It does sound like axle slippage. Are you riding Aces? Axle slip is a big problem they have.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6410 on: October 02, 2019, 10:31:29 PM »

try lubing up the axle before before you ride the nuts cranking it first will just be spinning the wheels doubles is a must

Shawing
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #6411 on: October 02, 2019, 11:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It does sound like axle slippage. Are you riding Aces? Axle slip is a big problem they have.
nope, there independent lows from I think 2016? I have a set on indi titanium on the way here so I will see if they do it also. I can’t stand having sideways play in my wheels, I can actually feel them shifting when skating transition and it throws me off my game.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6412 on: October 02, 2019, 11:25:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Really? Of the many problems that get brought up about Aces I don't recall hearing much about axles slipping.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6413 on: October 02, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Really? Of the many problems that get brought up about Aces I don't recall hearing much about axles slipping.

Yeah, my friend loves Aces but he's always slamming the axle back into place.

This is with really skated Aces tho, and I think cracked baseplates/hangers overshadow axle slippage since you really can't fixed cracked equipment.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6414 on: October 03, 2019, 03:07:57 AM »

Are you running bearing shields? If I had to guess I'd say the pressure from the axle nut could be pushing the shields in stopping them from free spinning, and once that pressures released they'll return to their original form and allow it to spin again. Lost count of the times I've heard people say their bearings are fucked, only for it to be the shields. Last year a kid gave me a set of "fucked" Spitfire bearings that "didn't spin" as he was gonna toss them, popped the shields off and they spun fine.

thebacker

« Reply #6415 on: October 03, 2019, 04:41:53 PM »

are you using bearing spacers?

what trucks do you have aswell

What a find

« Reply #6416 on: October 03, 2019, 07:48:11 PM »
Bearings moving in the wheels rite

Just keep doing what you're doing

Lashes2ashes

« Reply #6417 on: October 03, 2019, 11:39:41 PM »
They were independent Low from a couple of years ago. But it’s all good now, just bought independent titanium and so far I’m not having any issue. I threw two speed rings between the hanger and the wheel and the normal one between wheel and nut, Wheels seem to spin fine. Now if my muscle memory would get used to taller trucks and if I did not need to break in bushings I would be golden. Went to throw down on a steep bank today, back foot instead of landing on the tail just hit the tip of the tail, and of course my front foot was already on so down the bank I go on one foot. Some how I did not slip out.

thebacker

« Reply #6418 on: October 04, 2019, 12:20:19 AM »
They were independent Low from a couple of years ago. But it’s all good now, just bought independent titanium and so far I’m not having any issue. I threw two speed rings between the hanger and the wheel and the normal one between wheel and nut, Wheels seem to spin fine. Now if my muscle memory would get used to taller trucks and if I did not need to break in bushings I would be golden. Went to throw down on a steep bank today, back foot instead of landing on the tail just hit the tip of the tail, and of course my front foot was already on so down the bank I go on one foot. Some how I did not slip out.

id pay an ETN 1 month subscription to see this

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6419 on: October 04, 2019, 07:10:07 AM »
I think your bearings might be slipping out of the seat of your wheels. It happens to my tablets sometimes when I go powerslide crazy.