Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231817 times)

AssFlea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -31
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6420 on: October 04, 2019, 01:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
So I’m not a expert on trucks at all, so I thought I would ask all the truck nerds. I ride my axle nuts as tight as possible. I have noticed some times one of my wheels won’t free spin very good, if I loosen it up it’s fine and after a couple days I can crank it back down tight. Any clue what’s going on? I don’t think my axle is slipping? Also I know some people like to use more than two speed rings per wheel, I know the main reason is to control were the wheel sits on the axle, but out side of that is there any other advantage to say doubling up on the speed rings?
[close]
I think your bearings might be slipping out of the seat of your wheels. It happens to my tablets sometimes when I go powerslide crazy.

this was happening with my first set of big conical f4s

I took them back and got another set. 4 sets later No problems since.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #6421 on: October 04, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »
Today  I got krux kingpin installed  on my                         
   thuder titanium 148
Dohdoh soft bushing on the bottom and soft thunder up top,I had to cut the lower bushing to get them as loose as I like but its nice and low and  my trucks ard grinded down alot already. They grind awesome did a bunch of frront feebs and bs smith today

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6422 on: October 04, 2019, 10:48:29 PM »
What was the explanation for destructo and thunder drilling their holes centered rather than the traditional way?

Also just got the destructo d1 and so far, meh

They’re like trucks back in the day

The bushings get stuck on one side and need breaking in and are hard from the get go

Really loving my thunders and aces though
yes

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6423 on: October 04, 2019, 11:08:36 PM »
What was the explanation for destructo and thunder drilling their holes centered rather than the traditional way?

The bushings get stuck on one side and need breaking in and are hard from the get go

What’s your fave thunder?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6424 on: October 05, 2019, 03:56:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I prefer the 147 and 148

I’m between them only because of weight

I have them both in titanium lights and they’re light as heck but sometimes I get an old gut feeling the 147 narrowness and low height makes it easier to form tricks and pop but definitely doesn’t feel as nice and stable as 148

The 148 titanium’s feel more balanced

148 ti are lighter than even 145 standards/teams, feel really stable, have good turning clearance, and work perfectly for 8-8.25

Probably gonna end up sticking to the 148 after some comparison
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6425 on: October 05, 2019, 08:00:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer the 147 and 148

I have them both in titanium lights and they’re light as heck but sometimes I get an old gut feeling the 147 narrowness and low height makes it easier to form tricks and pop but definitely doesn’t feel as nice and stable as 148

148 ti are lighter than even 145 standards/teams, feel really stable, have good turning clearance, and work perfectly for 8-8.25

Let''s be honest here rob. You're not gonna stick to anything, ever.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6426 on: October 05, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
So I’m not a expert on trucks at all, so I thought I would ask all the truck nerds. I ride my axle nuts as tight as possible. I have noticed some times one of my wheels won’t free spin very good, if I loosen it up it’s fine and after a couple days I can crank it back down tight. Any clue what’s going on? I don’t think my axle is slipping? Also I know some people like to use more than two speed rings per wheel, I know the main reason is to control were the wheel sits on the axle, but out side of that is there any other advantage to say doubling up on the speed rings?

It's just how it is, stuff shifts around if there's room.  If you're into riding things tight here is the correct answer:

Bones Race reds, Bones wheels, tiny bit of grease inside of wheel so bearings go in perfectly.  Crank it down. 

Pros: you have achieved perfection
Cons: your wheels make no noise when sliding, your wheels sound like they are soft, your board sounds dead. 

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #6427 on: October 06, 2019, 05:50:05 AM »
Noticed yesterday that I’m getting axle slip in my Indy’s. They are almost 2 years old but I thought this was a problem from the past. Haven’t had this since my last pair of ace’s 5 years ago and it’s the most annoying thing! I saw that Indy has lifetime warranty for this, but has anyone had success with making a claim? I thought I was gonna grind this fuckers to the axle.  :'(

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6428 on: October 06, 2019, 06:41:09 AM »
Snagged the 6.0 Grind Kinds.  The quality looks great and I'm looking forward to trying them out.  I'm still a month away from being able to even ollie so I wont be able to do any real world testing for a bit

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #6429 on: October 06, 2019, 07:32:56 AM »
Feel free to just give us updates anyhow......

Dog the Bounty Hunter

« Reply #6430 on: October 06, 2019, 08:49:18 AM »
Snagged the 6.0 Grind Kinds.  The quality looks great and I'm looking forward to trying them out.  I'm still a month away from being able to even ollie so I wont be able to do any real world testing for a bit

😂

anon

« Reply #6431 on: October 06, 2019, 01:58:20 PM »
how can you continue using a set of baseplates when the mounting holes are fucked?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6432 on: October 06, 2019, 03:28:13 PM »
how can you continue using a set of baseplates when the mounting holes are fucked?

How good are you with tools?

anon

« Reply #6433 on: October 06, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

not very, but i'm curious as to what you were gonna suggest

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6434 on: October 06, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
not very, but i'm curious as to what you were gonna suggest

Only did it once for buddy, he was moderately pleased with the results. Basically you take a railing cable insert (https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Protector-Sleeves-Railing-Hardware/dp/B07C7FQWPV/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=railing+protector+cable&qid=1570411561&sr=8-8) and drill out the fucked holes on your baseplate so you can insert these through the new-sized hole. The flared end sits on top of your plate and you cut and file the insert a little shorter than flush where it would sit against your deck. Might need 1 1/4" bolts to make it work, but everything goes back together like normal. Think of it like an integrated washer.

It takes some doing but if you're mechanically inclined and have a good hardware store near you, you should be able to salvage them for less than 10 bucks.

Apologies if any of that was incomprehensible.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6435 on: October 06, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I prefer the 147 and 148

[close]

Let''s be honest here rob. You're not gonna stick to anything, ever.

Ahahaha I guess the verdict is in

I am an indecisive truck kook Ahahaha

You sound just like my best pal I skate with

Every time I say Ive found the trucks it’s a lie

Ahahahhaha you got me it’s true

I’ll try to stick to the 148 but man these aces

Superb!
yes

anon

« Reply #6436 on: October 06, 2019, 07:31:11 PM »
Only did it once for buddy, he was moderately pleased with the results. Basically you take a railing cable insert (https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Protector-Sleeves-Railing-Hardware/dp/B07C7FQWPV/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=railing+protector+cable&qid=1570411561&sr=8-8) and drill out the fucked holes on your baseplate so you can insert these through the new-sized hole. The flared end sits on top of your plate and you cut and file the insert a little shorter than flush where it would sit against your deck. Might need 1 1/4" bolts to make it work, but everything goes back together like normal. Think of it like an integrated washer.

It takes some doing but if you're mechanically inclined and have a good hardware store near you, you should be able to salvage them for less than 10 bucks.

pretty cool. haven't got the tools, but it's interesting to see what solutions those who are mechanically inclined have come up with

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6437 on: October 07, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
pretty cool. haven't got the tools, but it's interesting to see what solutions those who are mechanically inclined have come up with

Yeah, lack of money and access to skateshops in a small town will compel you to do some weird shit to maintain gear. Nowadays I'd just save myself the hassle and plunk down for new stuff, but the options are there.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6438 on: October 07, 2019, 07:33:44 PM »
I was wondering

If axle slip is such a thing why don’t they just drill holes into the axle so when they lay the axles in the mold and pour in the aluminum mixture the hangars will mold and fill into the axle holes and hold them in place

Now the axle is held in place by the material

Also why didn’t grind king come out with a 8.25 truck?

All I see is 5.0,5.5, and 6.0

And supposedly the 5.5 is an 8
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #6439 on: October 07, 2019, 08:11:19 PM »
I think modern axles have these spurs that stick out, lessening the chance of axle slip as it catches the hanger mold a little better but it still doesn’t prevent it entirely.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6440 on: October 07, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
All sets of Indies I have are longer on one side than the other. On the 159 hollows I can fit additional washers on one side and not on the other. Anyone know if that is supposed to be or for a reason?

PMA

Diocletian

« Reply #6441 on: October 07, 2019, 08:34:11 PM »
Brand new they’re that way? Sloppy QC. If you’ve skated them and hit the axles plenty of times, you have the dreaded slip.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6442 on: October 07, 2019, 08:37:53 PM »

I actually rode a set of these trucks back in the early 00s.

Another grind king innovation. I hope they incorporate it into their trucks in the future if this isn't featured in the current product.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6443 on: October 07, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »
Brand new they’re that way? Sloppy QC. If you’ve skated them and hit the axles plenty of times, you have the dreaded slip.

All of them had that since day one. Most noticeable on the newest set. One side has around two threads showing, the other is flush. With extra washer one is flush and the other doesn’t engage with the nylon.
Guess if there is no reason it is just sloppy...

PMA

Pissedoff30y/oskatedad

• Rep: -57
« Reply #6444 on: October 07, 2019, 10:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All of them had that since day one. Most noticeable on the newest set. One side has around two threads showing, the other is flush. With extra washer one is flush and the other doesn’t engage with the nylon.
Guess if there is no reason it is just sloppy...

Yup bought a set of Indys earlier in the yr and one specific truck has the axle way shifted to one side. Terrible QC in china but keep on being suckers and acting like they are better than ever...

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6445 on: October 08, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
Axle slip is a literal non-issue, just over-tighten on the side that's too short with the wheel off on the other side and it will shift back. Also use spacers so you don't explode your bearings. Any technology meant to prevent axle slip is just going to make your axles more likely to snap.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6446 on: October 08, 2019, 10:04:21 AM »
Axle slip is a literal non-issue, just over-tighten on the side that's too short with the wheel off on the other side and it will shift back. Also use spacers so you don't explode your bearings. Any technology meant to prevent axle slip is just going to make your axles more likely to snap.
So, bring a wrench and adjust every try because that's the solution you're positing with what real axle slip is like. Tap tap tap that shit back into place gets fucking tiring. You sound like a defeatist.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6447 on: October 08, 2019, 10:06:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
So, bring a wrench and adjust every try because that's the solution you're positing with what real axle slip is like. Tap tap tap that shit back into place gets fucking tiring. You sound like a defeatist.
You do realize your axles won't slip if you just leave your wheels on with the nuts tightened, right? Get it right once and leave it forever. Stay mad I guess.

Edit: You don't use spacers, do you.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:08:47 AM by weedgod94 »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #6448 on: October 08, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
You do realize your axles won't slip if you just leave your wheels on with the nuts tightened, right? Get it right once and leave it forever. Stay mad I guess.

Edit: You don't use spacers, do you.
Suuuuuuuuuuuure dude. Keep smoking that. It's doing wonders for your brain.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6449 on: October 08, 2019, 10:12:22 AM »
just put a set of bones mediums into my thunder 149s. no bottom washer and the top washers are the ones that come with the bushings. feels great but theres a terrible creak when i lean. does this go away or should i just wear earplugs when i skate?