Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231591 times)

weedgod94

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6450 on: October 08, 2019, 10:14:32 AM »
Quote from: layzieyez
Suuuuuuuuuuuure dude. Keep smoking that. It's doing wonders for your brain.
Maybe you should take a hit and relax brother

just put a set of bones mediums into my thunder 149s. no bottom washer and the top washers are the ones that come with the bushings. feels great but theres a terrible creak when i lean. does this go away or should i just wear earplugs when i skate?
You can try boiling them or lubing the kingpin but usually you just gotta wait for it to go away. It sucks. Bones don't quite fit thunders tho so the squeak might be coming from the pivot cup, try putting graphite or dish soap in it. You might need to fuck with the washers or sand the bushings a bit too.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:17:43 AM by weedgod94 »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1482
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6451 on: October 08, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
Quote from: layzieyez
Expand Quote
Suuuuuuuuuuuure dude. Keep smoking that. It's doing wonders for your brain.
[close]
Maybe you should take a hit and relax brother

Expand Quote
just put a set of bones mediums into my thunder 149s. no bottom washer and the top washers are the ones that come with the bushings. feels great but theres a terrible creak when i lean. does this go away or should i just wear earplugs when i skate?
[close]
You can try boiling them or lubing the kingpin but usually you just gotta wait for it to go away. It sucks.
Stick to talking about weed.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6452 on: October 08, 2019, 11:12:08 AM »
Creaking comes from the pivot cups, not bushings - try to put a drop of lubricant (speed cream, mineral oil) in the pivot cups and feel at ease.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6453 on: October 08, 2019, 11:16:11 AM »
90% it is the pivot cups, but The bones will often still creak and make cracking noises, since the hard plastic parts suddenly moves after the soft part bent (if that makes sense) a tiny piece of soap or wax has worked best for me, stays longer than oil and doesn't leave gunky rings around that might stain clothes when you vary the skateboard.

PMA

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6454 on: October 08, 2019, 11:19:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Creaking comes from the pivot cups, not bushings - try to put a drop of lubricant (speed cream, mineral oil) in the pivot cups and feel at ease.
Already waxed the pivot cups before the bushing switch so it's definitely the bushings.

90% it is the pivot cups, but The bones will often still creak and make cracking noises, since the hard plastic parts suddenly moves after the soft part bent (if that makes sense) a tiny piece of soap or wax has worked best for me, stays longer than oil and doesn't leave gunky rings around that might stain clothes when you vary the skateboard.
Wax in the kingpin? or are you still talking pivot cups? Thanks regardless.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6455 on: October 08, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »
I wax the hard parts of the bushings, the narrower of the surfaces and put a bony bit inside where the kingpin goes, yes.

PMA

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6456 on: October 08, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »
I wax the hard parts of the bushings, the narrower of the surfaces and put a bony bit inside where the kingpin goes, yes.
Gotcha. Thanks!

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6457 on: October 08, 2019, 12:48:39 PM »
In a recent Ben DeGros video he talked about how he uses the stock washers with bones bushings because the flat ones make creaks.  I use to assume it was the pivot cup, but the other day I put bones in my Indys, had the creak, and then rubbed soap on the flat washer and the part of the bushing it mates with.  No creak after that. 

Maybe some soap on the plastic part of the bottom bones bushing might help those Thunders.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6458 on: October 08, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »

Bones bushings creak, it's the plastic I'm guessing.

Diocletian

« Reply #6459 on: October 08, 2019, 02:21:13 PM »
The flat washer that comes with Bones bushings was the culprit for my clicks. Best option is to use Indy aftermarkets they’ll last way longer. But for the Bones, just use the stock top truck washer instead, or go no washers at all.

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #6460 on: October 08, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
The flat washer that comes with Bones bushings was the culprit for my clicks. Best option is to use Indy aftermarkets they’ll last way longer. But for the Bones, just use the stock top truck washer instead, or go no washers at all.

Will have to try without the washer, I tend to use them all the time now...

Switch FS K-Swiss Grind

• Rep: 76
« Reply #6461 on: October 08, 2019, 08:48:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Will have to try without the washer, I tend to use them all the time now...
I wouldn't ditch the washer, it's there for a reason. Try waxing it or putting some sort of lube on it. I find the bones bushings creaky but i only notice it when I'm at home standing on my board to make adjustments. I don't notice it when I'm out skating, maybe my bearings and wheels are louder or it's the street noise, or maybe I'm just used to it? It's a small price to pay, i really do like the rebound on them.
on the commentary for the scene where jeremy klein rollerblades at that little skatepark he said the actual blader with dreads who was there came up to him and asked him if he listens to korn

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #6462 on: October 09, 2019, 06:46:49 AM »
Quick question

What is the best way to remove a pivot cup without destroying it?

This is on an independent truck Attached to my board.

Thanks

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6463 on: October 09, 2019, 07:00:45 AM »
Quick question

Thanks

Flame thrower.

Why are you attempting to remove? The only time I have ever removed was to replace a busted one so I didn't care about destroying it
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Mesteezo

• Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6464 on: October 09, 2019, 08:07:30 AM »
Quick question

Thanks

take your base plates off and boil them, then try prying out the cups.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6465 on: October 09, 2019, 09:19:18 AM »
Quick question

Thanks

Use a baseplate with kingpin, stick the pin in the cup and pry it out. Hanger axles work too,.

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #6466 on: October 09, 2019, 09:31:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Quick question

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

Why are you attempting to remove? The only time I have ever removed was to replace a busted one so I didn't care about destroying it

Thanks for the help all.

I am wondering if putting in new pivot cups will stop the squeaking of my trucks. The truck are in good shape but I have played around with bushings but I have not switched out my pivot cups.

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6467 on: October 09, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick question

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

[close]

Thanks for the help all.

I am wondering if putting in new pivot cups will stop the squeaking of my trucks. The truck are in good shape but I have played around with bushings but I have not switched out my pivot cups.

A little dab of dish soap or bearing oil makes the squeak go away
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6468 on: October 09, 2019, 02:11:18 PM »
Ace 55s, no top washers, nut as loose as possible. Opinions on putting softer bushings in? I currently have the stock.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6469 on: October 09, 2019, 02:22:43 PM »
Ace 55s, no top washers, nut as loose as possible. Opinions on putting softer bushings in? I currently have the stock.

To what end? I’m a smaller person, 5’8”, 165, I can get the 44s to turn very quickly, too quickly even, with washers and nut flush. If you want flop you can take out the other washer and/or run smaller bushings. I’m not m.rod/dae. Didn’t make my skating in more enjoyable to be sooooo loose. It was a novelty. Much like the way too big board, or huge wheels, or super small board, just another excuse to be fine with trying the same few things. And that’s fine. If it’s get you hyped. Indy has some nice soft offerings, as does doh doh actually.
Oh I also felt like the super loose really limited the pop. Just my experience tho

What a find

« Reply #6470 on: October 09, 2019, 03:04:51 PM »
If you feel like buying into bushings, riptide is worth checking out

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6471 on: October 09, 2019, 07:51:22 PM »
I’ve just gone back to my Venture V-Lights 5.8 that have the harder purple bushings, wondering if anyone had experience with Indy bushings in ventures? Want to try the red, soft aftermarket bushings but don’t want to waste my money.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6472 on: October 09, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
I’ve just gone back to my Venture V-Lights 5.8 that have the harder purple bushings, wondering if anyone had experience with Indy bushings in ventures? Want to try the red, soft aftermarket bushings but don’t want to waste my money.

They fit perfectly as they're exactly the same size. I put the 78A super softs in mine because I like loose trucks. It's maybe a tad bit too loose for me though. Might eventually try some combo of different duros like Aces have to make it more to my liking. Not skating them right now and probably won't in a while. Gonna at least thrash these Aces first. The purple stock bushings are quite hard.

Edit: Ppl claim that the stock Venture bushings are 90A. No idea if that's true. This place is selling the same looking purple Venture bushings as 98A. If those stock purples are also 98A I'd imagine changing to soft 88A Indy bushings would be quite a significant change.
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-shop?cPath=221
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:16:18 PM by Roisto »

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6473 on: October 09, 2019, 09:17:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They fit perfectly as they're exactly the same size. I put the 78A super softs in mine because I like loose trucks. It's maybe a tad bit too loose for me though. Might eventually try some combo of different duros like Aces have to make it more to my liking. Not skating them right now and probably won't in a while. Gonna at least thrash these Aces first. The purple stock bushings are quite hard.

Edit: Ppl claim that the stock Venture bushings are 90A. No idea if that's true. This place is selling the same looking purple Venture bushings as 98A. If those stock purples are also 98A I'd imagine changing to soft 88A Indy bushings would be quite a significant change.
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-shop?cPath=221

Yeah it wasn’t until I saw the aftermarket purple venture bushings were 98a that I realised softer bushings might make these a go. They already feel pretty good, they’re so close to what I’m looking for so I might try Indy bushings with a flat washer. Maybe even the 90a oranges that I have plenty of sitting around.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6474 on: October 09, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
Flat washer super helps with the ventures, I always get scarring on the hanger from the top stock washer. Leads me to believe the washer is limiting the turn. I probably shouldn’t have given my brand new 5.8s away

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6475 on: October 09, 2019, 11:03:44 PM »

Old Stock or New Stock?

New stock is tits.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6476 on: October 10, 2019, 04:40:05 AM »
Stock venture purples are def a much softer duro than the aftermarket purple dlx. Switched out the stock for a green dlx (94a) in a set of 5.8s and it was noticeably harder.

Also if memory serves me correctly I had to sand the barrel bushing of the dlx down a bit as it was a bit higher than stock. I'm going to go through my old phone and see if I have a pic.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6477 on: October 10, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »
Anyone that has the new China Indy’s now that it’s been a while how are they holding up? Still better or the same or worse? QC issues etc? I know one person earlier said they sucked but I was curious about other people’s opinions that has had skated them for a while. I want to go back to Indy. I’m over trying find boards with short wheel bases

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6478 on: October 10, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »
Stock venture purples are def a much softer duro than the aftermarket purple dlx. Switched out the stock for a green dlx (94a) in a set of 5.8s and it was noticeably harder.

Also if memory serves me correctly I had to sand the barrel bushing of the dlx down a bit as it was a bit higher than stock. I'm going to go through my old phone and see if I have a pic.

Green for nostalgia alone tho, damn

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6479 on: October 10, 2019, 07:39:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Green for nostalgia alone tho, damn

Haha, I won't say that didn't influence my purchase.

Anyone that has the new China Indy’s now that it’s been a while how are they holding up? Still better or the same or worse? QC issues etc? I know one person earlier said they sucked but I was curious about other people’s opinions that has had skated them for a while. I want to go back to Indy. I’m over trying find boards with short wheel bases

Didn't really skate the USA ones but after moving over to skating Indy a little ago I don't have any complaints at all. I think someone did a side by side a while ago to highlight the apparently improved QC.