Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231506 times)

ThugWaffle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6480 on: October 10, 2019, 05:57:24 PM »
 Indy lights worth it/good? considering getting a pair of independent for the first time, but i don't know if I should get regular 139's or hollow. I've heard independents are heavier than thunders.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6481 on: October 10, 2019, 06:15:31 PM »
Indy lights worth it/good? considering getting a pair of independent for the first time, but i don't know if I should get regular 139's or hollow. I've heard independents are heavier than thunders.

Indys have more material on the hanger for better grinds. The metal also feels somewhat softer than Thunders, which can explain why they grind better.

I'd say get Hollows if you don't want to adjust to the weight difference.

Chaos Acoustic

« Reply #6482 on: October 10, 2019, 07:26:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve just gone back to my Venture V-Lights 5.8 that have the harder purple bushings, wondering if anyone had experience with Indy bushings in ventures? Want to try the red, soft aftermarket bushings but don’t want to waste my money.
[close]

They fit perfectly as they're exactly the same size. I put the 78A super softs in mine because I like loose trucks. It's maybe a tad bit too loose for me though. Might eventually try some combo of different duros like Aces have to make it more to my liking. Not skating them right now and probably won't in a while. Gonna at least thrash these Aces first. The purple stock bushings are quite hard.

Edit: Ppl claim that the stock Venture bushings are 90A. No idea if that's true. This place is selling the same looking purple Venture bushings as 98A. If those stock purples are also 98A I'd imagine changing to soft 88A Indy bushings would be quite a significant change.
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-shop?cPath=221
[close]

Yeah it wasn’t until I saw the aftermarket purple venture bushings were 98a that I realised softer bushings might make these a go. They already feel pretty good, they’re so close to what I’m looking for so I might try Indy bushings with a flat washer. Maybe even the 90a oranges that I have plenty of sitting around.
Drehobl always ran orange deluxe super cush when he was on Venture.

Diocletian

« Reply #6483 on: October 10, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Anyone that has the new China Indy’s now that it’s been a while how are they holding up? Still better or the same or worse? QC issues etc? I know one person earlier said they sucked but I was curious about other people’s opinions that has had skated them for a while. I want to go back to Indy. I’m over trying find boards with short wheel bases

I’ve been on the fully China made 139 titanium’s for about a month and they’re the best Indy’s I’ve ever had. Flawless casting and the axles are even on both sides. The pivot cups are actual urethane and not plastic crap. The stock bushings are aftermarket quality and rebound back to center excellently. I love Ace trucks but whatever Chinese factory they use isn’t as good as Indy’s.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6484 on: October 10, 2019, 08:17:50 PM »
the kingpins on my aces got loose so i decided to swap the baseplates with some indy's. at a glance they seem similar, and considering that aces descend from indy's, you'd think it'd work without any problems. oh boy, was i wrong. it's the most awful experience. i kept falling off the board because it wouldn't turn quick enough. they were looser than the full ace setup too. don't do it! anyway, i ordered some ventures. i think i'm gonna be disappointed by anything non-ace, though :-\

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6485 on: October 10, 2019, 09:10:50 PM »
the kingpins on my aces got loose so i decided to swap the baseplates with some indy's. at a glance they seem similar, and considering that aces descend from indy's, you'd think it'd work without any problems. oh boy, was i wrong. it's the most awful experience. i kept falling off the board because it wouldn't turn quick enough. they were looser than the full ace setup too. don't do it! anyway, i ordered some ventures. i think i'm gonna be disappointed by anything non-ace, though :-\

Hammer out the kingpins and put some epoxy in there and hammer them back in. Works great.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6486 on: October 10, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »
Hammer out the kingpins and put some epoxy in there and hammer them back in. Works great.
yeah, i got some jb weld. i remember using it for the nuts with the krux downlows, but it didn't hold well. probably because of the small surface area. according to this video, you should sand the parts

maybe that'll help

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #6487 on: October 10, 2019, 10:27:21 PM »
Can anyone comment if theeve updated changed anything from the v1/v2 trucks besides fixing the bushing problem? From what I'd read here the base plate is the same but some people were saying the the turn was different (lessened slightly to prevent breaking bushings maybe?) and that the casting of the trucks looked a bit different. Just wondering what's up.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6488 on: October 10, 2019, 10:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah, i got some jb weld. i remember using it for the nuts with the krux downlows, but it didn't hold well. probably because of the small surface area. according to this video, you should sand the parts

maybe that'll help

We don’t have JB Weld here in Finland so I used something else. It was called “steel epoxy”. No idea what it consists of or how similar it is to JB Weld. But sanding the parts probably would help a bunch. More rough surface area for it to attach to. It’s hard to stick on a completely smooth surface. Also making sure everything is clean is really important.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6489 on: October 11, 2019, 12:00:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve just gone back to my Venture V-Lights 5.8 that have the harder purple bushings, wondering if anyone had experience with Indy bushings in ventures? Want to try the red, soft aftermarket bushings but don’t want to waste my money.
[close]

They fit perfectly as they're exactly the same size. I put the 78A super softs in mine because I like loose trucks. It's maybe a tad bit too loose for me though. Might eventually try some combo of different duros like Aces have to make it more to my liking. Not skating them right now and probably won't in a while. Gonna at least thrash these Aces first. The purple stock bushings are quite hard.

Edit: Ppl claim that the stock Venture bushings are 90A. No idea if that's true. This place is selling the same looking purple Venture bushings as 98A. If those stock purples are also 98A I'd imagine changing to soft 88A Indy bushings would be quite a significant change.
https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-shop?cPath=221
[close]

Yeah it wasn’t until I saw the aftermarket purple venture bushings were 98a that I realised softer bushings might make these a go. They already feel pretty good, they’re so close to what I’m looking for so I might try Indy bushings with a flat washer. Maybe even the 90a oranges that I have plenty of sitting around.
[close]
Drehobl always ran orange deluxe super cush when he was on Venture.

This drehobl fact is hot! Speyer, drehobl, shao.....

Anyways, carry on

Water is Nice

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6490 on: October 11, 2019, 02:54:29 AM »
Want some opinions on what trucks I should get for Dane1 9.75 widest and taper to 8.75. It's either blue ace 55s or thunder 151 lights. The thunders are lighter and on sale so they are cheaper but don't know how good 151s are any experience?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6491 on: October 11, 2019, 03:53:21 AM »
Want some opinions on what trucks I should get for Dane1 9.75 widest and taper to 8.75. It's either blue ace 55s or thunder 151 lights. The thunders are lighter and on sale so they are cheaper but don't know how good 151s are any experience?

The wheelbase on the Dane1 is rather short so maybe Thunders would be nicer because of that. 🤔

Water is Nice

« Reply #6492 on: October 11, 2019, 06:03:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The wheelbase on the Dane1 is rather short so maybe Thunders would be nicer because of that. 🤔
Yeah and I have tried it with indys already so I'm leaning towards thunders

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6493 on: October 11, 2019, 06:43:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thunder is coming out with the 9” axle trucks soon too I think. Maybe those could work too if you’re worried about the width. No idea when exactly they’re coming out though.

Water is Nice

« Reply #6494 on: October 11, 2019, 06:53:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thunder is coming out with the 9” axle trucks soon too I think. Maybe those could work too if you’re worried about the width. No idea when exactly they’re coming out though.
I had indy 159 but kingpin came loose so I know 8.75 trucks work, it's a nice deal rn so I wanna get them but at the same time snow is incoming

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6495 on: October 11, 2019, 08:32:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
I had indy 159 but kingpin came loose so I know 8.75 trucks work, it's a nice deal rn so I wanna get them but at the same time snow is incoming

I had 151s, they were sick, gave em to a coworker that had a garbage set up. I’d probably be using them now if i had them still, been into thunders again. Anyways. I guess my main question would be: how big the wheels you planning on using? Thunders for tricks, but ace for cruising. I can run really big wheels, medium loose, very little wheelbite with ace. Thunders just always wheelbite for me, quickly. Ace might make you (will make you)start throwing unnecessary carves and turns. Soon then you are that guy over doing a little sidewalk cruise 

Water is Nice

« Reply #6496 on: October 11, 2019, 09:07:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The wheelbase on the Dane1 is rather short so maybe Thunders would be nicer because of that.
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I had 151s, they were sick, gave em to a coworker that had a garbage set up. I’d probably be using them now if i had them still, been into thunders again. Anyways. I guess my main question would be: how big the wheels you planning on using? Thunders for tricks, but ace for cruising. I can run really big wheels, medium loose, very little wheelbite with ace. Thunders just always wheelbite for me, quickly. Ace might make you (will make you)start throwing unnecessary carves and turns. Soon then you are that guy over doing a little sidewalk cruise
I thought about wheels too and I have two choices: 54 mm f4 classiscs or lock ins wore down to less than 50mm. It will be for tricks and I will get risers, don't know how big they are but it's diamond. Or I get bones risers 1/8 with the adjustable mounting cus I read that the diamond fits thunders bad. But if I get bones I have thunde and spits and I would think about it all the time. Also is 1 inch hardware enough? Forged plates are thinner so

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:15:29 AM by Water is Nice »

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #6497 on: October 12, 2019, 09:01:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick question

What is the best way to remove a pivot cup without destroying it?

This is on an independent truck Attached to my board.

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

Why are you attempting to remove? The only time I have ever removed was to replace a busted one so I didn't care about destroying it
[close]

Thanks for the help all.

I am wondering if putting in new pivot cups will stop the squeaking of my trucks. The truck are in good shape but I have played around with bushings but I have not switched out my pivot cups.

Switched the pivot cups out using Xen’s tip and worked fine. New pivot cups stopped the squeaking but I still hear the bushings creaking. I think I’m done with Indy bushings. However, Bones bushings seem to be falling out of favor here, so I am going to move to Riptide.

Riptide lists all bushing measurements on their website. Their ‘street bushings’ or ‘Indy style’ are almost the exact same size as Indy—based on my measurements:

Indy barrel .47” (12 mm) tall.
Riptide Street Barrel .50” tall.

Indy cone .39” (10 mm) tall.
Riptide Street cone .40” tall.

I can’t measure the Riptide so I wonder if in mm they would be 12 mm and 10 mm respectively.

I will follow up with a review once I make the switch.

Here is the street kit I am looking at buying but I may just buy one set of each to start.

https://www.riptidesports.com/krank-streetseries-bushings-kit-w-indy-pivot-cups/

TooManyPros

• Rep: 59
« Reply #6498 on: October 12, 2019, 09:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick question

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

Why are you attempting to remove? The only time I have ever removed was to replace a busted one so I didn't care about destroying it
[close]

Thanks for the help all.

I am wondering if putting in new pivot cups will stop the squeaking of my trucks. The truck are in good shape but I have played around with bushings but I have not switched out my pivot cups.
[close]

Switched the pivot cups out using Xen’s tip and worked fine. New pivot cups stopped the squeaking but I still hear the bushings creaking. I think I’m done with Indy bushings. However, Bones bushings seem to be falling out of favor here, so I am going to move to Riptide.

Riptide lists all bushing measurements on their website. Their ‘street bushings’ or ‘Indy style’ are almost the exact same size as Indy—based on my measurements:

I can’t measure the Riptide so I wonder if in mm they would be 12 mm and 10 mm respectively.

Here is the street kit I am looking at buying but I may just buy one set of each to start.

https://www.riptidesports.com/krank-streetseries-bushings-kit-w-indy-pivot-cups/

Do yourself a favor and buy these ACE bushings for your Indys.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 10:00:07 AM by TooManyPros »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6499 on: October 12, 2019, 10:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick question

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

[close]

Thanks for the help all.

[close]

[close]

I was riding those ACE bushings in my Indys (bought two sets: regular bottoms and low tops) + riptide cups, best feeling Indys so far. That said, I still like The bones med bottom, soft tops + Riptides cups as well.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #6500 on: October 12, 2019, 10:16:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick question

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

[close]

Thanks for the help all.

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was riding those ACE bushings in my Indys (bought two sets: regular bottoms and low tops) + riptide cups, best feeling Indys so far. That said, I still like The bones med bottom, soft tops + Riptides cups as well.

I just looked up that the ace lows are 12 MM on the bottom and 10 MM on the top. They don’t say they fit Indy’s but that’s probably due to competition reasons. So looks like the move to buy Ace lows not Classics as classics are 14 mm at bottom and 12 mm on top.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6501 on: October 12, 2019, 01:56:04 PM »
So I've been skating the just straight up Indy 139 since 2009 and now all of a sudden I'm really struggling on them 😬 I went through three sets of bushings on my last set this spring and none of them took, and then I went ahead and got new trucks and have been having the same issues (with both the stock and after market bushings).

Like I just can't get the bushings set comfortably anymore😭 but now because I've felt so uncomfortable on them that they feel too high or something. They just don't feel stable.

So I'm considering getting the Indy Lows now that they're selling those again. Has anybody had any experience with those? I mean from a turning standpoint they're gonna be better than Ventures right?

Ultimately I'm probably gonna jump to Thunders but want to rule out maybe just needing lower trucks first. It's just frustrating because for 10 years trucks were the last thing I've had issues with.

So yeah I ended up buying a pair of 8.25 Thunder Titaniums and they solved everything. I put in a pair of Bones hardcore mediums off the bat and goddamn what a night and day difference from that nightmare summer I had tried to make my Indys feel right again. The weight difference, the turning, the board control, I mean literally everything is perfect.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #6502 on: October 12, 2019, 03:30:54 PM »
I'm about to set a real twin tail deck and i don't want to have the feeling of knowing if you're riding your trucks regular or switch. Would changing bushings on used trucks do the trick or should I buy new trucks?

Diocletian

« Reply #6503 on: October 12, 2019, 04:53:41 PM »
So yeah I ended up buying a pair of 8.25 Thunder Titaniums and they solved everything. I put in a pair of Bones hardcore mediums off the bat and goddamn what a night and day difference from that nightmare summer I had tried to make my Indys feel right again. The weight difference, the turning, the board control, I mean literally everything is perfect.

Nice man! Glad you were able to find peace in the truck madness journey. It’s what we’re trying to accomplish. Some of us don’t want help though, we choose to keep chasing the dragon. In fact, now you make me want to get the same trucks just because of the weight savings even though my Ti Indy’s are just fine.

brwrxstl

• Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6504 on: October 12, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice man! Glad you were able to find peace in the truck madness journey. It’s what we’re trying to accomplish. Some of us don’t want help though, we choose to keep chasing the dragon. In fact, now you make me want to get the same trucks just because of the weight savings even though my Ti Indy’s are just fine.

I feel that. I took a detour and tried Royal lows with three different bushing combos first. I thought the they had an awesome turning radius for a low truck but they were way too low. But I needed to rule out low trucks lol. I rode Ventures for a few years before Indys and I'll say the Royal joints are definitely better than Ventures in every way except the actual metal. The only thing that stopped me from trying Royal standards was the idea of them not lasting more than a year or two tops. If Crail got serious and used a higher quality metal they'd be a solid truck.

But after fucking with these titaniums I don't think I could ever rationalize going back to an aluminum truck either way.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6505 on: October 12, 2019, 06:49:07 PM »
"a year or two" is not a short time, and your trucks are still aluminum. The axle, which is steel usually, is titanium in your trucks.

brwrxstl

• Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6506 on: October 12, 2019, 07:50:50 PM »
"a year or two" is not a short time, and your trucks are still aluminum. The axle, which is steel usually, is titanium in your trucks.

cool story, dickhead

A year or two compared to would still have been half the time of what I have been getting out of my indys

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6507 on: October 12, 2019, 07:59:10 PM »
Haha, okay.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6508 on: October 12, 2019, 11:26:16 PM »
What disappointment I’ve had with these destructos

I got the d1 mid 5.5 and already out the gate the kingpin got loose and just to see how Jenky the trucks were I gave a decent soft knock to the pin with my skate tool and it fell right out

Then I was checking quality of the metal they use by trying to line up the kingpin spline and seeing if I can just push the pin in

Low and behold, the metal is cheap and I was already pushing the kingpin a little in, I then proceeded to hammer the king pin back in and didn’t have my heavier hammer and used the regular every day nailing hammer and only 2 strikes and it was back in

A day of riding and testing and bam back to square 1

Loose again

Fuck destructo, they’re almost as bad as silver

Lifetime guarantee my ass, the turning was decent and the weight was okay, the height is okay

But nothing really out of the ordinary that was magical like aces turning

So far trying my Indy’s the proper way(loose) and the stock bushings don’t really cut it, but the bones are working perfect

Only using the flat washer on the deck side/bottom bushing and letting the nut contact the roadside/top bushing raw, the turn is very close to ace but still not as quick and rebound

Idk, I think I’ve become a believer in the aces

They’re such good trucks! Can’t wait for the new all forged ones, the only thing I would want from aces is the metal to be like Indy/thunder/ventures/ermico quality

But I’m sure they’ll be like that with the new design 
yes

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6509 on: October 13, 2019, 05:54:50 AM »
I ride mine without bottom washers and my kingpins have been loose for months, it hasn't effected my skating at all so I don't even care. I still think they're great.