Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1228187 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6510 on: October 13, 2019, 09:46:04 AM »
I ride mine without bottom washers and my kingpins have been loose for months, it hasn't effected my skating at all so I don't even care. I still think they're great.

The destructos?

How do you feel about them turning and grinding wise?
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6511 on: October 13, 2019, 03:24:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Quick question

What is the best way to remove a pivot cup without destroying it?

This is on an independent truck Attached to my board.

Thanks
[close]

Flame thrower.

Why are you attempting to remove? The only time I have ever removed was to replace a busted one so I didn't care about destroying it
[close]

Thanks for the help all.

I am wondering if putting in new pivot cups will stop the squeaking of my trucks. The truck are in good shape but I have played around with bushings but I have not switched out my pivot cups.
[close]

Switched the pivot cups out using Xen’s tip and worked fine. New pivot cups stopped the squeaking but I still hear the bushings creaking. I think I’m done with Indy bushings. However, Bones bushings seem to be falling out of favor here, so I am going to move to Riptide.

Riptide lists all bushing measurements on their website. Their ‘street bushings’ or ‘Indy style’ are almost the exact same size as Indy—based on my measurements:

Indy barrel .47” (12 mm) tall.
Riptide Street Barrel .50” tall.

Indy cone .39” (10 mm) tall.
Riptide Street cone .40” tall.

I can’t measure the Riptide so I wonder if in mm they would be 12 mm and 10 mm respectively.

I will follow up with a review once I make the switch.

Here is the street kit I am looking at buying but I may just buy one set of each to start.

https://www.riptidesports.com/krank-streetseries-bushings-kit-w-indy-pivot-cups/
[close]

Do yourself a favor and buy these ACE bushings for your Indys.
[close]

I was riding those ACE bushings in my Indys (bought two sets: regular bottoms and low tops) + riptide cups, best feeling Indys so far. That said, I still like The bones med bottom, soft tops + Riptides cups as well.
[close]

I just looked up that the ace lows are 12 MM on the bottom and 10 MM on the top. They don’t say they fit Indy’s but that’s probably due to competition reasons. So looks like the move to buy Ace lows not Classics as classics are 14 mm at bottom and 12 mm on top.

ACE Lo tops are shorter than standard ACE tops and a bit shy of indy aftermarket tops); ACE regular tops are tall AF.

The ACE low bottoms are bit shorter than the Indy standards/aftermarket bushings.

That's why I opted for the regular ACE bottom and ACE low top.

bbk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6512 on: October 13, 2019, 05:35:39 PM »
Expand Quote
I ride mine without bottom washers and my kingpins have been loose for months, it hasn't effected my skating at all so I don't even care. I still think they're great.
[close]

The destructos?

Yeah, 5.5 d1 mid mags as well. Turning took some breaking in, but after a couple of sessions they have just worked. I had a hemorrhage/brain bleeding almost 5 years ago and this summer I've done a couple of tricks I hadn't done since before the head like fs half cab nose manny fs revert, switch flip manny, flip bs tail, flip bs noseslide and got really damn close to a new dream trick, bs noseslide nollie flip, on these trucks, so yeah, for me, they just work.

That turned in to a weird brag, sorry about that.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #6513 on: October 13, 2019, 06:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The destructos?

[close]
Yeah, 5.5 d1 mid mags as well. Turning took some breaking in, but after a couple of sessions they have just worked. I had a hemorrhage/brain bleeding almost 5 years ago and this summer I've done a couple of tricks I hadn't done since before the head like fs half cab nose manny fs revert, switch flip manny, flip bs tail, flip bs noseslide and got really damn close to a new dream trick, bs noseslide nollie flip, on these trucks, so yeah, for me, they just work.

Fuck that brag it up b. COTDAMN. Glad you recovered. Life is weird.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6514 on: October 13, 2019, 07:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

The destructos?

[close]

Nah, that's a well deserved brag.

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6515 on: October 13, 2019, 10:11:33 PM »

In the madness that is thread, it's good to hear that some shit is working out really well for someone.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #6516 on: October 13, 2019, 10:14:16 PM »
What disappointment I’ve had with these destructos

I got the d1 mid 5.5 and already out the gate the kingpin got loose and just to see how Jenky the trucks were I gave a decent soft knock to the pin with my skate tool and it fell right out

Then I was checking quality of the metal they use by trying to line up the kingpin spline and seeing if I can just push the pin in

Low and behold, the aluminum is cheap and I was already pushing the kingpin a little in, I then proceeded to hammer the king pin back in and didn’t have my heavier hammer and used the regular every day nailing hammer and only 2 strikes and it was back in

A day of riding and testing and bam back to square 1

Loose again

Fuck destructo, they’re almost as bad as silver

Lifetime guarantee my ass, the turning was decent and the weight was okay, the height is okay

But nothing really out of the ordinary that was magical like aces turning

So far trying my Indy’s the proper way(loose) and the stock bushings don’t really cut it, but the bones are working perfect

Only using the flat washer on the deck side/bottom bushing and letting the nut contact the roadside/top bushing raw, the turn is very close to ace but still not as quick and rebound

Idk, I think I’ve become a believer in the aces

They’re such good trucks! Can’t wait for the new all forged ones, the only thing I would want from aces is the metal to be like Indy/thunder/ventures/ermico quality

But I’m sure they’ll be like that with the new design

Destructos were my trucks for the early part of the millennium. I still have a soft spot for the brand but it's strictly nostalgia driven. Everything went to shit when they broke off from Giant/ended up going solo. The aluminum literally started feeling like pencil lead or something. Killing off Speed Metal was a bummer too.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6517 on: October 13, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

In the madness that is thread, it's good to hear that some shit is working out really well for someone.

For reals!! I’m over here bothering people I don’t know, on the internet, about trucks that won’t mask the fact that I can’t do basic ledge tricks....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6518 on: October 14, 2019, 10:27:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

For reals!! I’m over here bothering people I don’t know, on the internet, about trucks that won’t mask the fact that I can’t do basic ledge tricks....

Yes brag is good because same here

Basic ledge tricks are decent with me

I’m trying to hammer the pin back in over and over to get it in the right spot to stop loosening up

It’s hard to tell cause as mentioned the metal is pretty cheap feeling

They’re almost half way broken in for me so I’ll give them another go but idk, aces are too amazing

BBK if your still out there, do the pivot cups on your destructos stick out?

I’m seeing pics online of the regular ones with the black bushing and the pivot cups are flush but my nostalgia destructos with the green bushings don’t run flush with the pivot cups

Glad to hear your recovered and skating, and skating more than well  ;D
yes

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #6519 on: October 14, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »
I am 100% satisfied with my 5.8 Venture High Titanium's with bones medium bushings. And yet still bought a set of ACE 44's just cause I couldn't pass up the deal. I am going to set them up after my current deck is dead.

Why do we do this to ourselves?
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #6520 on: October 14, 2019, 11:22:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yes brag is good because same here

Basic ledge tricks are decent with me

I’m trying to hammer the pin back in over and over to get it in the right spot to stop loosening up

It’s hard to tell cause as mentioned the metal is pretty cheap feeling

They’re almost half way broken in for me so I’ll give them another go but idk, aces are too amazing

I’m seeing pics online of the regular ones with the black bushing and the pivot cups are flush but my nostalgia destructos with the green bushings don’t run flush with the pivot cups

Thanks for posting info on these trucks, I was tempted to try out a pair since I couldn't find much on them but knowing the actual quality of the metal could be shit I think I'll just save myself some money.

Also improving after a brain injury is gnarly. Glad to hear skating is still possible. Skating after being injured can fucking suck so props for staying with it.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6521 on: October 14, 2019, 12:23:16 PM »
I am 100% satisfied with my 5.8 Venture High Titanium's with bones medium bushings. And yet still bought a set of ACE 44's just cause I couldn't pass up the deal. I am going to set them up after my current deck is dead.

If I could get back to satisfied I’d quit, or at least would like to think that I would. But I wouldn’t.

Interested to see what you think between the ace and the venture, as I still pursue whatever isn’t Indy

dirtjers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
  • Far out man.
« Reply #6522 on: October 14, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If I could get back to satisfied I’d quit, or at least would like to think that I would. But I wouldn’t.

Interested to see what you think between the ace and the venture, as I still pursue whatever isn’t Indy

I haven't been following your quest too closely so you may have already tried Thunders, but if not, I'd actually really recommend those. I was a fellow Indy-lifer that was ready to try something new - Venture was cool but I knew it wasn't the right feel. Thunder on the other hand turned out really sick. Got 148 team hallows maybe 2 months ago now? Been skating a lot, and I haven't even needed to tighten or loosen them from stock. They feel like how I would try to do tons of tinkering to get my Indys to feel.... and I just never gave them a chance before ha! I'd say closer to a Indy stage 10 feel but with a longer wheelbase, if I had to compare. I'm pretty sold.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #6523 on: October 14, 2019, 01:00:28 PM »
I assume venture will run a 5.6 titanium or hollow next season no? 

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6524 on: October 14, 2019, 02:28:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I haven't been following your quest too closely so you may have already tried Thunders, but if not, I'd actually really recommend those. I was a fellow Indy-lifer that was ready to try something new - Venture was cool but I knew it wasn't the right feel. Thunder on the other hand turned out really sick. Got 148 team hallows maybe 2 months ago now? Been skating a lot, and I haven't even needed to tighten or loosen them from stock. They feel like how I would try to do tons of tinkering to get my Indys to feel.... and I just never gave them a chance before ha! I'd say closer to a Indy stage 10 feel but with a longer wheelbase, if I had to compare. I'm pretty sold.

This is sick advice thanks. Trying to figure 149 v 148....questin. So silly. Need to quit wasting the day and get outside

Thanks for help

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6525 on: October 14, 2019, 02:45:52 PM »
I was wondering

If axle slip is such a thing why don’t they just drill holes into the axle so when they lay the axles in the mold and pour in the aluminum mixture the hangars will mold and fill into the axle holes and hold them in place

Now the axle is held in place by the material

Also why didn’t grind king come out with a 8.25 truck?

All I see is 5.0,5.5, and 6.0

And supposedly the 5.5 is an 8

that's what grind king kinda did. Those were heavily machined
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6526 on: October 14, 2019, 05:55:12 PM »

I actually got a set where one was flush and the other stuck up a bit. It made it hard to get different bushings to fit when I had just set them up and tried to see how they'd feel, so I switched them both out for some orange mini logo cups that was a bit smaller and just ran with it, still riding them with the same cups, and I set them up sometime early spring this year.

Thanks guys! I was extremely lucky.
I was in medicinal coma for 12,5 days and sometime in the middle my family had to hear that it was 50/50 that I would wake up, and when/if I woke up they had no idea how or if I'd function. This is the absolute worst thing ever, I hate that I put them through that. I don't take blame for it, but it's still because of me they had to sit there, and that fuckin' sucks. I woke up as soon as they tried though, apparently recognized my mom right away. After like a week in the hospital after I woke up I was transferred to a hospital with rehab, and I was supposed to be there for a 3-4 weeks, but they signed me out after 4 days because I was already so far along in my recovery. After 2 months on the day I tried to actually skate again. I had been rolling around a bit already and tried a few ollies and stuff even before that. Holy fuck jumping up on a foot high ledge was scary that first day, but I got back to it pretty quickly.

This was 4 months after it happened:

and 6 months:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 06:08:42 PM by bbk »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6527 on: October 14, 2019, 09:40:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I actually got a set where one was flush and the other stuck up a bit. It made it hard to get different bushings to fit when I had just set them up and tried to see how they'd feel, so I switched them both out for some orange mini logo cups that was a bit smaller and just ran with it, still riding them with the same cups, and I set them up sometime early spring this year.

Thanks guys! I was extremely lucky.
I was in medicinal coma for 12,5 days and sometime in the middle my family had to hear that it was 50/50 that I would wake up, and when/if I woke up they had no idea how or if I'd function. This is the absolute worst thing ever, I hate that I put them through that. I don't take blame for it, but it's still because of me they had to sit there, and that fuckin' sucks. I woke up as soon as they tried though, apparently recognized my mom right away. After like a week in the hospital after I woke up I was transferred to a hospital with rehab, and I was supposed to be there for a 3-4 weeks, but they signed me out after 4 days because I was already so far along in my recovery. After 2 months on the day I tried to actually skate again. I had been rolling around a bit already and tried a few ollies and stuff even before that. Holy fuck jumping up on a foot high ledge was scary that first day, but I got back to it pretty quickly.

This was 4 months after it happened:

and 6 months:

Dang dude that sounds crazy, glad you made a quick and healthy recovery!

And thanks for clarifying on the pivot cups, guess I’ll probably swap them for the ace pivot cups cause same here

The pivot cups sticking out make it weird how the bushings sit, im tinkering with the destructos and every time I put the hangar back on it’s pushed back more than it should be until I just jam everything on and tighten it down a little and rock the hangars in place back and forth and then the bushings set into place

Man you riding the destructos that way and how much you’ve progressed just pushes me to try them more before I really put them in the regretted gear section
yes

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6528 on: October 15, 2019, 12:22:47 PM »
why don’t they just drill holes into the axle
weak point, more likely to snap. some precision longboard trucks have done this with set screws but now most just thread in axles.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #6529 on: October 16, 2019, 09:59:57 AM »
Cylinder bottom bushing vs conical...What's the deal with that?

I just bought some orange indy bushings. I opted for the conical ones because I imagine they turn easier. Didn't get to try them yet.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6530 on: October 16, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6531 on: October 16, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
Got some new bushings and Krux inverted kingpins to try with some Stage VIII 146s (like 149s, but 3 less I guess?) I had lying around.  Folks, it pleases me to report that they are in fact quite good.  The infamously bad Stage VIII clearance is a non issue with the new kingpin, and I did the Ace thing and put a softer bottom bushing and a harder top bushing and it seems to knock down on a little on wobbles out of transitions and things like that.  They turn and recenter very nicely, like Indies should, but honestly they're just like a Stage XI that cuts a little deeper and still wheelbites like mad.  Pop feels exactly right, almost the same height as a forged hollow (53mm, pretty sure) and I think they shrink the wheelbase a tiny bit more than Stage XIs. 

The best thing about them is how they grind.  Stage XIs definitely are faster, but also feel harder than Aces, which feel soft but extremely smooth.  The Stage VIIIs must have used a different formula for the hangers because they feel like ice.  Just fast as hell, smooth, sound real loud on ledges when you lock in going fast.  I might honestly keep them on one setup all the time because they're just so fun to ride and nothing else I've tried recently feels quite like them.

Mesteezo

• Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6532 on: October 16, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

this should be stickied along with the graphic about the effects of different trucks on wheelbase

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6533 on: October 16, 2019, 12:40:14 PM »
Anyone checked out the Thunder 161s yet? I presume they are the same height as the 149/ 151s?

Diocletian

« Reply #6534 on: October 16, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
Got some new bushings and Krux inverted kingpins to try with some Stage VIII 146s (like 149s, but 3 less I guess?) I had lying around.  Folks, it pleases me to report that they are in fact quite good.  The infamously bad Stage VIII clearance is a non issue with the new kingpin, and I did the Ace thing and put a softer bottom bushing and a harder top bushing and it seems to knock down on a little on wobbles out of transitions and things like that.  They turn and recenter very nicely, like Indies should, but honestly they're just like a Stage XI that cuts a little deeper and still wheelbites like mad.  Pop feels exactly right, almost the same height as a forged hollow (53mm, pretty sure) and I think they shrink the wheelbase a tiny bit more than Stage XIs. 

The best thing about them is how they grind.  Stage XIs definitely are faster, but also feel harder than Aces, which feel soft but extremely smooth.  The Stage VIIIs must have used a different formula for the hangers because they feel like ice.  Just fast as hell, smooth, sound real loud on ledges when you lock in going fast.  I might honestly keep them on one setup all the time because they're just so fun to ride and nothing else I've tried recently feels quite like them.

Nice man! I used krux pins in my stage 7’s before I sold them off. Ice is exactly how I would describe it. The smoothness and insanely fast grind was unlike any other truck. I find the grind between stage 11’s and Ace to be indistinguishable. It’s the turn.

What a find

« Reply #6535 on: October 16, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
Does anyone have the krux 9.0? I'm eyeballing them for a cruiser setup. Am I making a mistake?

Idk man but I'm tempted by the hole

It's a nice hole

I want to draw inside of it, you know feel it out

Mesteezo

• Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6536 on: October 16, 2019, 06:42:05 PM »
Does anyone have the krux 9.0? I'm eyeballing them for a cruiser setup. Am I making a mistake?

if you want your cruiser to just go in straight lines and not turn, go for the Krux.

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6537 on: October 16, 2019, 09:05:37 PM »

They objectively turn worse compared to standard trucks. For a cruiser you absolutely want your trucks to turn reliably.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6538 on: October 16, 2019, 09:20:45 PM »

Do you ride Krux on your normal setup? I've always found the most benefit from having the same brand trucks on my normal setup and my cruiser. It makes the differences in deck shape and wheel duro less jarring when the turn is as similar as possible.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #6539 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you ride Krux on your normal setup? I've always found the most benefit from having the same brand trucks on my normal setup and my cruiser. It makes the differences in deck shape and wheel duro less jarring when the turn is as similar as possible.

I have to agree with this. Especially when you consider a large portion of cruisers have a larger wheelbase, so if you normally skate Indy’s on a 14.25 thunders on a 14.5 wheelbase might be miserable.

Almost got that chico guest board because of the small wheelbase