Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232648 times)

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6540 on: October 18, 2019, 06:13:59 AM »
So my bushings have been squeaking and creaking and it doesn’t matter whether I use 88 or 92 durometer they squeak and don’t turn.

I placed the bushings in a plastic bag and mixed in speed cream and let sit 5 min.

When I installed them my board was turning like crazy with no squeaking. I think the bushings were just dry Or catching on the metal washer.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:46:51 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
« Reply #6541 on: October 19, 2019, 10:45:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Does anyone have the krux 9.0? I'm eyeballing them for a cruiser setup. Am I making a mistake?
[close]

They objectively turn worse compared to standard trucks. For a cruiser you absolutely want your trucks to turn reliably.

They turn objectively LESS than most trucks. Sharper turn ain't always the best.

Monthly PSA: I have Krux trucks with Ace bushings on both my setups and it's fantastic. Perfectly good turn, stable at high speeds, considerably less wheel bite. They have a great middle of the road wheel base and good height (55mm), for a cruiser especially. Their stock bushings are not good. They turn way smoother and sharper with better bushings, but they still retain the hard feel at the very end of the turn that helps prevent wheel bite. I think it's because they have a longer cock than most trucks. I ride them with the kingpin flush and they are still a solid medium btw.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6542 on: October 19, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »
I just think on a cruiser you want to carve a bunch which is why I'd get aces and why I'd think twice about Krux but if they are cheap and you don't give a shit I'm sure they're good enough....

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #6543 on: October 19, 2019, 01:51:52 PM »
I just think on a cruiser you want to carve a bunch which is why I'd get aces and why I'd think twice about Krux but if they are cheap and you don't give a shit I'm sure they're good enough....

Strong agree. If it’s only about the turn, Ace

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6544 on: October 19, 2019, 02:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Does anyone have the krux 9.0? I'm eyeballing them for a cruiser setup. Am I making a mistake?
[close]

Do you ride Krux on your normal setup? I've always found the most benefit from having the same brand trucks on my normal setup and my cruiser. It makes the differences in deck shape and wheel duro less jarring when the turn is as similar as possible.
[close]

I have to agree with this. Especially when you consider a large portion of cruisers have a larger wheelbase, so if you normally skate Indy’s on a 14.25 thunders on a 14.5 wheelbase might be miserable.

Almost got that chico guest board because of the small wheelbase

Yes! I just opt for softer bushings in the cruiser. Having indys on your board and ACE on your cruiser isn't as jarring to me as having Thunders/Ventures on your board and Indy/ACE on the cruiser. Stick to one camp or the other depending on how much you use the cruiser and vice versa; or, skate whateverthefuck you want :P

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6545 on: October 19, 2019, 10:33:54 PM »
I just still think it's fun riding different trucks and set ups....no need to put 148 ti thunders on my zip zinger....

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6546 on: October 19, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »
I just still think it's fun riding different trucks and set ups....no need to put 148 ti thunders on my zip zinger....

Equally valid point. And sometimes I'm shit at following my own advice (recently just set up a DOA with Ventures cause why the fuck not).

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6547 on: October 20, 2019, 01:44:37 AM »

I know it's personal preference and all that...but...Although I personally don't like Thunders on my "serious" setups, they're my favorite trucks to put on a cruiser. They're so fucking fun to pump around for speed on flat compared to Indys and Aces.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6548 on: October 20, 2019, 09:08:55 AM »
How do I break loose king pin bolts from the 80s. My brothers trackers are locked up.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6549 on: October 21, 2019, 12:08:03 AM »
So question for any one that has Indy titanium? I just bought a set about a month ago from tactics. When I was taking my wheels off to clean my bearings I noticed the axle of one of them has a oily blue color like they have in the website pics. The other truck axle is the normal dark color. Is that normal? Or did they send me a normal axle one and a titanium axle one?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6550 on: October 21, 2019, 12:27:46 AM »
So question for any one that has Indy titanium? I just bought a set about a month ago from tactics. When I was taking my wheels off to clean my bearings I noticed the axle of one of them has a oily blue color like they have in the website pics. The other truck axle is the normal dark color. Is that normal? Or did they send me a normal axle one and a titanium axle one?

This might be a dumb suggestion because I have no idea if the titanium Indy uses is solid or an alloy blend, but try a magnet? Titanium is very weakly magnetic, whereas chromoly is very magnetic.

Lashes2ashes

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6551 on: October 21, 2019, 01:09:05 AM »
Holy shit! I did not even think about trying a magnet. Magnet sticks like normal on my old trucks, the titanium ones has like no stick at all. Thanks a ton dude.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6552 on: October 21, 2019, 01:53:53 AM »
Holy shit! I did not even think about trying a magnet. Magnet sticks like normal on my old trucks, the titanium ones has like no stick at all. Thanks a ton dude.

Not a problem man, glad it worked!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6553 on: October 21, 2019, 07:58:22 AM »
I've been riding 8.0 with thunder 147s for a bit. Quite stoked on that combo. Just did 3 weeks in NZ and made impulse purchase of Palace Chewy Cannon 8.375 deck and Thunder 149s. Felt kind of neat to just buy some shit and not think about it. Now that I'm home though, I'm thinking about it. A lot.

Diocletian

« Reply #6554 on: October 21, 2019, 08:04:25 AM »
I’ve been skating 139 Ti Indy’s on 8.25” generator wood boards exclusively for the last couple months. Grabbed a shop board that was south central and it was noticeably heavier wood. Probably a trivial amount of grams we’re talking, but it haunted me in my sleep. Went back to the generator. Now I’m convinced I can’t go back to a heavy wide set-up ever again. :o

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6555 on: October 21, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
I've been riding 8.0 with thunder 147s for a bit. Quite stoked on that combo. Just did 3 weeks in NZ and made impulse purchase of Palace Chewy Cannon 8.375 deck and Thunder 149s. Felt kind of neat to just buy some shit and not think about it. Now that I'm home though, I'm thinking about it. A lot.

I’m usually in that 8/147 range for personal comfort.
I recently got an 8.38/149s. Huge nose, wanted to try something different.
So far mostly good. For sure somethings will be different/less good, at least at first. Feels great to roll around. Best 3flips I’ve had in a long while.
I’m not sure why I didn’t get 148s....maybe because it would make too much sense? I tend to skate board between 8-8.4. Soooooo. I blame my extreme personality.
You’ll for sure have fun on it tho, bigger boards absolutely ‘feel’ better to me. And by bigger I mean over 7.75.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6556 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:43 PM »
I think it kinda makes sense....I ran two set ups for a bit 8" and an 8.5" then I scrapped em both and set up 8.25's.....it's a process....

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6557 on: October 22, 2019, 09:50:59 AM »
I think it kinda makes sense....I ran two set ups for a bit 8" and an 8.5" then I scrapped em both and set up 8.25's.....it's a process....

Ha. It is a process. Are you running the 8.25 deck on 148s? Is it more the best of both worlds, or the most mediocre? (My mind doesn’t like the concept of the middle path, moderation...etc etc)

CaptainCheeks

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6558 on: October 23, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »
I'm 190 and want some bones bushings for my Indy's should I get hard or mediums if I like my trucks loose but not super wobbly

Diocletian

« Reply #6559 on: October 23, 2019, 09:30:09 AM »
I'm 190 and want some bones bushings for my Indy's should I get hard or mediums if I like my trucks loose but not super wobbly

Bones hards take too long to break in where they feel like a medium. Just get the mediums, but no matter what...all Bones will break either the urethane will separate from the core or the plastic core will start to crack or both. Your best bet is to get Indy 92-94a aftermarket conicals.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #6560 on: October 23, 2019, 01:50:08 PM »
get the orange indy cones maybe the blues if you you ride 149 or wider

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6561 on: October 23, 2019, 02:16:49 PM »

I'm just over 190 and right my trucks a solid medium, stable when setting up for tricks but can easily turn but also nowhere near the point of them rattling when you shake your board. When I had indys I liked bones hards more. They're too tight at first, but you can just run them with no washers until you feel like they're loose enough, then add the flat top washer in. Mediums are really nice from the start but get too soft for me and fall apart noticeably quicker than the hards.

poor alice

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -133
  • ♦️♣️♥️♠️
« Reply #6562 on: October 23, 2019, 02:33:01 PM »
I've had been riding thunder 149s on 8.125 / 8.2 boards for years and recently went down to 8". That felt comfortable for a bit but then I wanted a 7.9, which became difficult to find. Settled on the closest thing and had one session on 7.875 Toy Machine while also getting 147 Thunders.
I'm back to 8" with the 147s, riding that for a few months now and I'm not convinced 8" is right.  At this stage it feels not so much a process working out what feels right, but rather what feels less wrong.

I'm going to argue that Placebo owes their entire career to a Canadian dude's skate video part. Appleyard should be getting royalties for this shit.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6563 on: October 23, 2019, 05:56:55 PM »
I've had been riding thunder 149s on 8.125 / 8.2 boards for years and recently went down to 8". That felt comfortable for a bit but then I wanted a 7.9, which became difficult to find. Settled on the closest thing and had one session on 7.875 Toy Machine while also getting 147 Thunders.
I'm back to 8" with the 147s, riding that for a few months now and I'm not convinced 8" is right.  At this stage it feels not so much a process working out what feels right, but rather what feels less wrong.

It's been forever since I rode an 8" Not even sure I can anymore, the smallest I can go seems to be 8.125"/8.18" but stick with 8.25" - riding 8.25" trucks exclusively now (sold off/gave away everything else) as it allows me to jump from 8.18 to 8.3 without having to use different trucks.

drewbearz

« Reply #6564 on: October 24, 2019, 05:57:22 AM »
I'm riding on indy 144's right now. Using aftermarket blue conical bushings.

At first I hated these bushings and took them right off. I ended up putting them back on, tightening them a bit and now I'm a pretty big fan. I'd really like to try some indy lows though and to be honest, as solid as they are, I just don't know if independents are for me.

Like I like them, but I kind of don't. I'm considering some ventures but I'm worried that they'll just suck. Back in the day I skated destructos and royals. I liked them then but cannot ever see buying either of those brands again. They seem like trash now. Probably were then too.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6565 on: October 24, 2019, 06:57:52 AM »

149's work for me on anything over an 8.1, if its 8 it's 147.
If you take the two hangers side by side and see how fractional the difference is (and wonder why anybody needed 148s) that may help you get out the truck tweeker headspace this thread generates.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #6566 on: October 24, 2019, 10:35:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

149's work for me on anything over an 8.1, if its 8 it's 147.
If you take the two hangers side by side and see how fractional the difference is (and wonder why anybody needed 148s) that may help you get out the truck tweeker headspace this thread generates.

I agree with this, the difference is minimal I've used 149's on an 8.25, If you ride very wide wheels it may be noticeable but I don't so that has never been an issue for me.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1176
« Reply #6567 on: October 24, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
149 indy (or thunder) are perfect on an 8.25.  even with wide wheels.
hardly art, hardly starving

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6568 on: October 24, 2019, 01:52:59 PM »

It seems pretty plain as day to me.....8.125 on 148's....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6569 on: October 24, 2019, 03:33:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It seems pretty plain as day to me.....8.125 on 148's....

It's a really nice combo....8.25" are just super versatile.