Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1233123 times)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6570 on: October 24, 2019, 10:05:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've had been riding thunder 149s on 8.125 / 8.2 boards for years and recently went down to 8". That felt comfortable for a bit but then I wanted a 7.9, which became difficult to find. Settled on the closest thing and had one session on 7.875 Toy Machine while also getting 147 Thunders.
I'm back to 8" with the 147s, riding that for a few months now and I'm not convinced 8" is right.  At this stage it feels not so much a process working out what feels right, but rather what feels less wrong.
[close]

It seems pretty plain as day to me.....8.125 on 148's....
[close]

It's a really nice combo....8.25" are just super versatile.

Really enjoying thunder 149s, just teams. I think 148s next, as i do like to skate 8s occasionally. I feel like it’s a little princess and the pea, but I could go 8-8.5 which is really gonna be the widest range.
Blah blah

whatsreallygood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #6571 on: October 25, 2019, 11:44:37 AM »
Bigass post about those Tensor ATG trucks incoming

Ok so since there's not a ton of info on these trucks I figured I'd let people know how these are. Short answer is that the ALUMINUM ones are my current favorite truck, great turn, grind and other various details. The reason I stress the aluminum versions is because I managed to break my original pair of maglites:

What happened was I'd been dialing crooks for a few hours on a ledge and must have applied a lot of force to the nub of the truck that fits into the pivot cup. This actually wasn't the first time I'd done this, I'd had it happen with a pair of thunders so I wasn't super shocked. I'm over foot 6 and break a lot of gear so I think I'm a rare case to be fair but just letting people know. I hit up tensor and they were great, they sent me TWO pairs of the aluminum trucks which I'm riding now:

The turn, it's inbetween thunder and indy/ace. The wheelbase is also between those two trucks so it doesn't shock me. To be fair it's very much got it's own style of turning, but it's easiest to describe it with comparisons. I found I couldn't turn quite as deep as ace, but I was WAY more stable setting up for tricks and a bit better for balancing manuals once I got used to the new manual point. For me the tradeoff was worth it since the difference in turning radius is honestly imperceptible to me when I'm just skating and not focusing on the trucks differences. Break in time with the bushings was just one session. Overall the turn felt great to me. To be honest the only trucks that had a disappointing turn to me were ventures, krux had an ok one until you realized the radius was kinda shit. I'd say it's on par with other trucks and just comes down to your preference.

The grind for the mags and the regular ones are both solid. Basically the mags grind down faster, but you get nice grooves quicker. Once you get the groove the wear slows down. The mags also grind a bit smoother on certain things, especially rough stuff, but I found them kinda slower on "sharper" ledges that would leave lots of metal shavings from the trucks. It's not like those theeve TiH trucks where there will be a massive difference between grinding surfaces. The one thing is I tend to prefer round trucks like indys and aces for nosegrinds and crooks but you get used to it so fast it's not really a deal breaker.

As for details, the little nubs on the bottom of the baseplate are the best thing I didn't think I'd notice. I always get really warped baseplates after doing lots of tail and noseslides, then the truck shifts and pressure cracks seem to show up as a result. Those little nubs seem to be making a really positive difference so far. The kingpin clearance is solid, better than ace and thunder. I think it's on par with indy stage 11s, theeve and destructo that all have about 5mm of clearance give or take. I think venture highs and reverse kingpin trucks are the only other trucks that have noticeably more. I never had issues, especially smithing ledges which I didn't really enjoy on aces. The baseplate also sticks out enough that you don't have to worry about wheels touching for slides. I always found this really annoying with thunders, obviously you can power through it but it seems like a problem that shouldn't exist with a modern truck. The trucks are 55mm high at the axle and and feel great popping tricks. It took about a session to get used to it from the aces (52mm high?) and after that I haven't had an issue with ghost pop. The weight of the regular aluminum ones is basically the same as aces, but you feel it when you pop and flick tricks a bit more, I imagine cause of the wider wheelbase. I really like it since it doesn't slow me down and I can "feel out" where my board is in motion easily. If you do want a light fucking truck the mags are great too. I'm riding the 5.75 trucks which are 8.5 inches wide. I know some sites say they're 8.375 but I can confirm they all measure 8.5 inches.

Sorry for all the blocks of text.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6572 on: October 25, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
Have the 5.75 raw aluminum on now too. 8.5” wide for sure. I’ve been liking them. Squeaked on me but was fixed w a little love in the pivot cup.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #6573 on: October 25, 2019, 01:12:56 PM »

So the entire tensor mag light truck is magnesium alloy, not just the baseplate?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6574 on: October 25, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »

So the entire tensor mag light truck is magnesium alloy, not just the baseplate?

That's right

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6575 on: October 25, 2019, 01:29:14 PM »
What's really good is that Tensor ATG writeup! Big ups! 👍

They seem like solid trucks. I probably don't need new trucks for years but once I do I might consider these. Ditching Aces won't happen easily though. 🤔

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6576 on: October 25, 2019, 01:55:32 PM »
Have the 5.75 raw aluminum on now too. 8.5” wide for sure. I’ve been liking them. Squeaked on me but was fixed w a little love in the pivot cup.

Same, for me it just stopped after a few sessions. I'm glad tensor finally made a truck that turns lol

What's really good is that Tensor ATG writeup! Big ups! 👍

They seem like solid trucks. I probably don't need new trucks for years but once I do I might consider these. Ditching Aces won't happen easily though. 🤔

Don't fix what isn't broken. Only reason I swapped over was I'd started grinding into the kingpin on non-dipped grinds. I also have the V1s that blow through pivot cups. I think the V3s fix these issues, I just felt like trying something new.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6577 on: October 25, 2019, 04:08:18 PM »
What's the verdict on bushings/pivot cups for them, is stock all good? I've been skating some venture tis for just over a month with no problems at all but these sound really tempting to try. Besides the turn, how would you say they compare to ventures? If only they didn't say TENSOR on the baseplate.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:11:25 PM by tzhangdox »

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6578 on: October 25, 2019, 04:50:50 PM »
What's the verdict on bushings/pivot cups for them, is stock all good? I've been skating some venture tis for just over a month with no problems at all but these sound really tempting to try. Besides the turn, how would you say they compare to ventures? If only they didn't say TENSOR on the baseplate.

They've been amazing for me stock, they're these "interlocking" bushings so they fill up the little well in the truck. I found a picture that actually shows what I'm talking about.

Pivot cups seem solid too. I actually threw them in my aces for a period of time since they kept getting destroyed and they actually held up really well there too. I haven't had any issues with the bushings cracking either. One thing my buddy pointed out was he noticed the pop out of a crook felt better. I dunno if it's cause the extra meat of the bushing from the "interlocking" part gives you more recoil or some shit? Either way it felt good. Personally I was disappointed with my ventures when I had a pair. I had the high ones for an 8.25 deck and I remember having them as loose as possible wishing they'd turn more. I thought after breaking them in they'd get better but that never happened. Those trucks were stable and grinded well, but my tensors do that and turn better so for me there's no contest. Really if you don't factor turning they're similar trucks that offer good stability but that's why I prefer these much more personally. I honestly don't care about the branding, every company does it and they're a standard raw truck. Worst case you could sand that down but I cannot imagine any circumstance where someone notices and gives a shit.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 04:53:36 PM by whatsreallygood »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6579 on: October 25, 2019, 05:26:35 PM »
I switched from the Venture Hype-Train to Tensor ATG mags (8.25") as well; and your write sums up what I'm feeling.

Won't go as deep as ACEs (but nothing else does so that's a moot point ;) - they feel like carvier Thunders but still stable; I had forgotten just how light they are. I'd put them up against Theeves any day (giving the nod to the Tensors as they are just a bit quicker/more responsive).

Bit squeaky out of the gate but isn't everything? One thing I did was take off the top washer and put on a bones top washer; the stock washer was clearly binding on turns (they seem abnormally big in circumference) as I ride very loose.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:46:39 PM by Xen »

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6580 on: October 25, 2019, 05:51:15 PM »
I switched from the Venture Hype-Train to Tensor ATG mags (8.25") as well; and your write sums up what I'm feeling.

Won't go as deep as ACEs (but nothing else does that's moot ;) - they fee like carvier Thunders but still stable; I had forgotten just how light they are. I'd put them up against Theeves any day (giving the nod to the Tensors as they are just a bit quicker/more responsive).

Bit squeaky out of the gate but isn't everything? One thing I did was take off the top washer and put on a bones top washer; the stock washer was clearly binding on turns (they seem abnormally big in circumference) as I ride very loose.

Yup, agree with all those points, I might go and swap out the top washers now that you've mentioned it. Carvier thunders that are still stable is the most apt short description I'd give them. Definitely keeping the aces for a cruiser. I have no issue recommending them to anyone and gotta give credit to tensor for getting their shit together compared to past trucks.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6581 on: October 25, 2019, 11:02:19 PM »
I’m gonnna express my kookiness

Did any of you guys riding thunders notice the text is printed in a slanted way now for the newer sets compared to the old sets?

I was getting some 148 since my last pair got run over sadly and noticed some of them had the classic old thunder text print but these new ones had this slanted italics print

So if your a kook like me you can now point out which set is a brand new new batch

I was bugging out cause as a kook monger I had to have a matching set with the new slanted text

Love them a lot

Idk about you guys but I feel like after a few runs the mold gets redone for better smoother batches with less defects and unneeded bulk

They’re just the standard team but they feel slightly lighter than my last pair of 148 standards
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6582 on: October 26, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
Shit, just copped some atg mag tensors, hope they shit on my ventures even though I have no real complaints (except the slow turning)

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6583 on: October 26, 2019, 02:01:51 AM »
Shit, just copped some atg mag tensors, hope they shit on my ventures even though I have no real complaints (except the slow turning)

For me they basically feel like ventures if you improved the turn. Hope they work out for you man.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6584 on: October 26, 2019, 02:06:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

For me they basically feel like ventures if you improved the turn. Hope they work out for you man.

Thanks, the ledge I skate after work every day is also super chunky concrete so if they're good on that like people say that will be sick. Not too hyped about the matte finish on the mags though but oh well.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6585 on: October 26, 2019, 02:28:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks, the ledge I skate after work every day is also super chunky concrete so if they're good on that like people say that will be sick. Not too hyped about the matte finish on the mags though but oh well.

For sure, I saw some people on here saying the magnesium was super slick. Personally I didn't find that to be the case and just found they were more forgiving on rougher materials since the magnesium makes the truck metal slightly softer. I wish they had raws for the mags too.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6586 on: October 26, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
Found the accurate sizing so I'm just posting that as well

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6587 on: October 26, 2019, 02:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

For sure, I saw some people on here saying the magnesium was super slick. Personally I didn't find that to be the case and just found they were more forgiving on rougher materials since the magnesium makes the truck metal slightly softer. I wish they had raws for the mags too.

Wait you mean the silver on the mags is painted on?

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6588 on: October 26, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Wait you mean the silver on the mags is painted on?

Naw, that matte grey color is consistent throughout the truck. When you grind it though you get more of a shine/polish that looks like a raw aluminum truck. You can see what I mean in the photos from the earlier post. I just like the look of raw trucks aesthetically, that's all.

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6589 on: October 26, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
Was this the thread asking about the create a skate/Paul Schmitt height vs. wheelbase chart?

Freight Train

« Reply #6590 on: October 26, 2019, 03:52:48 PM »
159s Stage 10, still USA made. Stock yellow Indy bushing in front, soft red Indy bushing in back. Front kingpin nut edges flush with the tip of the kingpin. Back truck slightly looser. Bushing washers top and bottom. Wheels no bigger than 54 and I never ride risers. I use the axle washers and bearing spacers. Pretty standard setup nothing too wild
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 09:58:56 PM by Freight Train »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6591 on: October 26, 2019, 04:05:30 PM »
Was this the thread asking about the create a skate/Paul Schmitt height vs. wheelbase chart?

That Natas interview was super influential on me also. Lower riser set up on the back truck for quicker snap!

However, I don't know how useful Schmitt's assessment really is. There's more at play than height.... preference, terrain you are riding, board and truck width, and so on...

I will say that being 6' anything under 14.25" is too squirrely in a bowl and with anything over 15" I can't tre-flip... so my sweet zone is 14.25" to 14.75" depending on how i'm feeling... so maybe I should listen to the lab coat....

here's the full Natas interview. Worth a read...

https://www.thrashermagazine.com/articles/magazine/may-1988/

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6592 on: October 26, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »
That Natas interview was super influential on me also. Lower riser set up on the back truck for quicker snap!

However, I don't know how useful Schmitt's assessment really is. There's more at play than height.... preference, terrain you are riding, board and truck width, and so on...

I will say that being 6' anything under 14.25" is too squirrely in a bowl and with anything over 15" I can't tre-flip... so my sweet zone is 14.25" to 14.75" depending on how i'm feeling... so maybe I should listen to the lab coat....

I'd say you have your preferences figured out. And that chart is just, I'll put it politely, too broad to be anything other than a starting point. Using a skateboard is not like getting sized up for a golf club, you're doing more than one thing, but a unilateral size chart assumes the opposite - that all things are equal no matter what you're doing/riding. Too many factors at play.

What you're doing (flat/ledges, park/transition etc.) is always going to supersede a catch-all chart. Like that dude on 917, Aaron Loreth, he's like 6'5" and rides 8.3's with Aces doing the most tech shit ( and most 917 boards that size are 14.25 wb). As opposed to some short asses on Anti Hero who are bowl trolling with 14.75-15"+wb decks. Whatever works for you man.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6593 on: October 26, 2019, 06:51:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'd say you have your preferences figured out. And that chart is just, I'll put it politely, too broad to be anything other than a starting point. Using a skateboard is not like getting sized up for a golf club, you're doing more than one thing, but a unilateral size chart assumes the opposite - that all things are equal no matter what you're doing/riding. Too many factors at play.

What you're doing (flat/ledges, park/transition etc.) is always going to supersede a catch-all chart. Like that dude on 917, Aaron Loreth, he's like 6'5" and rides 8.3's with Aces doing the most tech shit ( and most 917 boards that size are 14.25 wb). As opposed to some short asses on Anti Hero who are bowl trolling with 14.75-15"+wb decks. Whatever works for you man.

Shit, look at Joslin, dudes got a mean flatground game on an 8.3/8.5 with 149s...he's not the cleanest stylewise on some tricks but it's whatever feels good.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6594 on: October 26, 2019, 07:12:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Won't go as deep as ACEs (but nothing else does that's moot ;) - they fee like carvier Thunders but still stable; I had forgotten just how light they are. I'd put them up against Theeves any day (giving the nod to the Tensors as they are just a bit quicker/more responsive).

[close]

Yup, agree with all those points, I might go and swap out the top washers now that you've mentioned it. Carvier thunders that are still stable is the most apt short description I'd give them. Definitely keeping the aces for a cruiser. I have no issue recommending them to anyone and gotta give credit to tensor for getting their shit together compared to past trucks.

Also have to give them a +1 for casting(?)/build quality. Out of the package they were flawless, not a nick, scratch ro blemish anywhere to be seen.

chappers

« Reply #6595 on: October 27, 2019, 05:04:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The bulk of 917 boards are actually 14.75 wb, regardless of width

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6596 on: October 27, 2019, 05:55:03 AM »

They always have a few, Max Palmer rides them for sure (the 14.75"). But they mostly offer lots of 14.25 or under.
https://callme917.com/collections/frontpage/products/ooolson-deck-8-5
https://callme917.com/collections/frontpage/products/touzery-leatherette-deck-8-25
https://callme917.com/collections/frontpage/products/bennett-hot-dice-deck-8-25
https://callme917.com/collections/frontpage/products/palmer-airbrush-deck-8-38

And a bunch more if you wanna look. Last one I had was 14.25 from about 6 months ago(ish).

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6597 on: October 27, 2019, 10:43:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Also have to give them a +1 for casting(?)/build quality. Out of the package they were flawless, not a nick, scratch ro blemish anywhere to be seen.

Same, none of the pairs I have, have anything off about them. Glad there's another good option for trucks.

chappers

« Reply #6598 on: October 27, 2019, 01:12:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They always have a few, Max Palmer rides them for sure (the 14.75"). But they mostly offer lots of 14.25 or under.
https://callme917.com/collections/frontpage/products/touzery-leatherette-deck-8-25

And a bunch more if you wanna look. Last one I had was 14.25 from about 6 months ago(ish).

Confirmation bias on my behalf g, every time I see a 917 board I like it's got a 14.75 wb and it bums me out cause I'm a 14.25/14.375 guy.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6599 on: October 27, 2019, 01:16:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Confirmation bias on my behalf g, every time I see a 917 board I like it's got a 14.75 wb and it bums me out cause I'm a 14.25/14.375 guy.

It happens. I think for a long while they were really pushing the extra long wb's. They've definitely sized down lately.