Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231917 times)

franquietits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6690 on: November 04, 2019, 02:08:46 AM »
Never actually tried a pair, but for those that use the krux inverted kingpin and have problems securing the nut:

Think using a "square 3/8 nut" as opposed to a normal one might help?
vs

I'm thinking it'd maybe help catch onto the underside of the baseplate cavity for whatever truck brand. Only problem is that square nuts with the nylon insert don't seem to exist anywhere.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6691 on: November 04, 2019, 02:20:32 AM »
Never actually tried a pair, but for those that use the krux inverted kingpin and have problems securing the nut:

vs

I'm thinking it'd maybe help catch onto the underside of the baseplate cavity for whatever truck brand. Only problem is that square nuts with the nylon insert don't seem to exist anywhere.

Without the nylock insert I'd imagine the self-loosening would be a massive and consistent pain in the ass (<- the innuendo potential of that sentence is next level). 

Solid idea though if you do find one with the nylon.

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #6692 on: November 04, 2019, 03:16:18 AM »
Expand Quote

vs

[close]

Without the nylock insert I'd imagine the self-loosening would be a massive and consistent pain in the ass (<- the innuendo potential of that sentence is next level). 

Solid idea though if you do find one with the nylon.

Is what you need if you can't find a nylock.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:17:49 AM by Roger__Kook »

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #6693 on: November 04, 2019, 05:40:00 AM »
the hex nut gives you the same flat surfaces on both sides, as long as the size is correct the square one does not have any advantage over the hexagonal one...

PMA

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6694 on: November 04, 2019, 08:51:31 AM »
I run these in thunder teams and yeah it can some loose.  Sometimes they don't and just stay by themselves, I can even tighten them with the nut not spinning. 

I'd recommend that you just keep a close eye on them and when you get them right, crazy glue them.  Or tighten them up between set ups and just let them loosen up until it's time for a new board. 

Every how and then it'll just get loose, then you try and tighten them and if it's just spinning, you take your truck off....

It's not as big of a problem as I thought. 

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6695 on: November 04, 2019, 09:40:55 AM »
Square ones spin easier than hex. Same with the ace mini ones. They get loose from bumping shit like curbs and coping
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6696 on: November 04, 2019, 10:47:12 AM »
the hex nut gives you the same flat surfaces on both sides, as long as the size is correct the square one does not have any advantage over the hexagonal one...

I'd say the wider surface area would provide a lot more support against the nut rounding off the aluminum and beginning to spin. You'd be getting about twice the amount of contact per side.

As for the loctite suggestion, that could be a work around but your window for making adjustments would be really small before everything cures.

Diocletian

« Reply #6697 on: November 04, 2019, 12:04:21 PM »
So besides vintage Indy plates, any trucks I’m missing that will fit inverted pins without JB weld?

Gullwing Shadows

Thunders (seems the nut will still come loose though)

Film

Trackers

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6698 on: November 04, 2019, 01:02:06 PM »
I woke up today and switched back to Indys after being on thunders for a few months. Just mentally going back seems to relieve some strange loyalty/ obligation to these trucks. Almost like nostalgia is more powerful than anything. None of this matters, just needed to say it out loud (type it on slap). Thanks and shalom

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #6699 on: November 04, 2019, 10:39:18 PM »
lil writeup about the atg tensor magnesiums:

Came from Venture 5.8 titaniums, skated these Tensors 4-5 times so far. There's definitely pros and cons. Wheelbase wise I'd agree with everyone else that they're between Indys and Ventures, probably similar ish to Thunders though I didn't measure exactly.

The good:
The biggest pro by far is how good the magnesium grinds on concrete, it makes chunks feel much smoother and you can grind curbs that are almost ungrindable on normal trucks. It's pretty crazy, went to a curb spot with some friends and everyone agreed that the difference is huge. Another nice thing is how light they are. Since they're 55mm tall which is noticeably higher than what I'm used to, I felt like I had to do put more conscious thought into all my flatground tricks, but it didn't require much physical effort like with standard indys since they are so light. The turn is also good too, really smooth and quite sharp. I struggled to fully max out the turn when trying to do sharp u-turns as my wheels would slide out before I maxed out the turn. I would maybe describe it as either a less twitchy, surfier and taller Thunder but really its just its own thing. Wheelbite wasn't really a major issue either since they're so much taller than I'm used to. Noseslides and tailslides are all on the baseplate too which is nice. The bushings and pivot cups all seem really high quality and broke in pretty quickly.

The questionable:
Someone earlier said that they thought it kinda felt like a Venture that turned better. While I agree that they turn better than Ventures, they definitely don't feel like Venture in any other way to me. They're definitely less stable, probably partially due to the increased height. But also just feel quite tippy in general and it definitely threw me off for some tricks. The pop feel I'd say is good, but doesn't feel as springy as as Ventures either. I guess this reduced stability and tippyness naturally comes with surfier turn and a higher truck. Maybe if I was skating aces before this I wouldn't have noticed it nearly as much but I haven't had a pair of aces in a while. Kingpin clearance is less than Ventures, but more than Indys, kinda similar to Aces, definitely sufficient.

They grind down significantly faster than aluminium trucks. This is somewhat a nice thing at first as you get your grooves in much quicker, but I feel like they'll probably last maybe half as long at most as a normal truck if you do a lot of grinds. For me it's worth the better grind but your priorities may differ. Lastly my biggest concern about these trucks is the durability. I already noticed a very small hairline fracture on the front baseplate on the edge of the pivot cup after doing slappies for a few hours at most. The axle also seems ever so slightly bent, at least more so than my Venture tis which I skated for much longer and my roommates brand new Aces. I'm not sure if it was like that when I bought them as I didn't check. It all feels and skates perfectly for now, but if it gets any worse then its going to be a bit of a problem. I'm also 6 5, 190 pounds and kind of heavy footed so that certainly doesnt help, but then again I skate all low impact stuff so no axle should be bending on me this early.

I'm not sure if I want to keep skating them because of how high they are and how different the pop feels, maybe I just need more time. But if I go back to Ventures I'm definitely going to miss the turn. Also am already spoilt by how they grind on concrete so I almost want to try and throw the hangers on a baseplate that makes it lower and doesn't ruin the geometry and see how that goes. Thats how you know this thread has really pushed you off the deep end. Hopefully the axle doesnt bend more and the baseplate lasts (I think it will be okay)

TLDR: Grind crazy good on concrete, turn great, higher than I'm used to, responsive and super light which I appreciate. But don't feel as stable as Ventures and not as used to the pop (maybe just need more time), and definitely have concerns about the durability.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 10:56:58 PM by tzhangdox »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6700 on: November 05, 2019, 07:37:18 AM »
So besides vintage Indy plates, any trucks I’m missing that will fit inverted pins without JB weld?

Gullwing Shadows

Thunders (seems the nut will still come loose though)

Film

Trackers

Just jam a short flat head in there, tighten to the nylock, stick the truck back on and deal with it.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Diocletian

« Reply #6701 on: November 05, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »
Just jam a short flat head in there, tighten to the nylock, stick the truck back on and deal with it.

I’m not sure if you understand, that’s exactly what I don’t want to do.

7th Chamber

« Reply #6702 on: November 05, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
What’s the point of an inverted kingpin? All the trucks have good clearance now, so it seems like more hassle than it’s worth.

Diocletian

« Reply #6703 on: November 05, 2019, 09:15:10 AM »
It’s probably not much of a hassle with the whole JB Weld putty but yeah, I’m lazy. I don’t think the “big 3-4” truck companies have that great of clearance. It could be better, especially now with slappies making a huge comeback. Once my hanger grinds down a lot, I go through kingpin nuts biweekly because if I don’t switch it out, I’ll start sawing off the kingpin from grinds and then be unable to get a new nut on/off. If they don’t want to make the kingpin shorter, they should at least make a baseplate that will hold a nut securely without the JB Weld for those who desire the inverted kingpin.

7th Chamber

« Reply #6704 on: November 05, 2019, 10:50:00 AM »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #6705 on: November 05, 2019, 11:18:34 AM »

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6706 on: November 05, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »

Aces. My pivot cup bushings are quite shredded and I'd like to change them but I'm worried I'll have trouble with the nut. Also wouldn't want to destroy my mag plates just because of nut troubles. I have a set of Krux pins that I'm definitely gonna test out once these hangers are done.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6707 on: November 05, 2019, 12:31:27 PM »
Really liking these 6.1's on 8.5
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #6708 on: November 05, 2019, 12:39:04 PM »
What’s the point of an inverted kingpin? All the trucks have good clearance now, so it seems like more hassle than it’s worth.

Thunders.......

I skate slow....never grind far....and I hit axels....

Personally, just keeping an eye on them works well for me without doing the weld.  I could crazy glue the nut I bet too. 

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #6709 on: November 05, 2019, 01:15:31 PM »

Aces. My pivot cup bushings are quite shredded and I'd like to change them but I'm worried I'll have trouble with the nut. Also wouldn't want to destroy my mag plates just because of nut troubles. I have a set of Krux pins that I'm definitely gonna test out once these hangers are done.

jb weld that nut into the cavity of the baseplate for an easy inverted kingpin set up!

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6710 on: November 05, 2019, 01:48:04 PM »

The good:
The biggest pro by far is how good the magnesium grinds on concrete, it makes chunks feel much smoother and you can grind curbs that are almost ungrindable on normal trucks.

How is the grind on metal coping?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6711 on: November 05, 2019, 01:58:53 PM »
Anyone give the Thunder 161s a good seeing to?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6712 on: November 05, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
Expand Quote

The good:
The biggest pro by far is how good the magnesium grinds on concrete, it makes chunks feel much smoother and you can grind curbs that are almost ungrindable on normal trucks.
[close]

as far as I can tell, pretty much the same, maybe a tiny bit smoother if we're splitting hairs?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6713 on: November 05, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
Anyone give the Thunder 161s a good seeing to?
here for this

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #6714 on: November 05, 2019, 05:05:50 PM »
Thunder 147 does not have good clearance.

whatsreallygood

• Rep: 10
  • what it do dirty
« Reply #6715 on: November 05, 2019, 08:50:26 PM »
Expand Quote

The good:
[close]

Perfect. I found the difference unnoticeable compared to the major truck brands. Mags were slightly faster, especially on unwaxed stuff. The only thing was this one "sharp" ledge at the local. When I was doing crooks on that ledge or smiths with the mags (any grind that puts stress on a small part of a single truck) there was a bunch of metal shavings around the ground and the crook groove showed up super fast, like within the session fast. To be fair that ledge sucks balls and chews through trucks, it's why I swapped from aces since it shaved my hanger down to where I started catching the kingpin all the time and I just couldn't have fun with certain grinds.

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6716 on: November 05, 2019, 08:59:10 PM »

Came from Venture 5.8 titaniums, skated these Tensors 4-5 times so far. There's definitely pros and cons. Wheelbase wise I'd agree with everyone else that they're between Indys and Ventures, probably similar ish to Thunders though I didn't measure exactly.

The good:
The biggest pro by far is how good the magnesium grinds on concrete, it makes chunks feel much smoother and you can grind curbs that are almost ungrindable on normal trucks. It's pretty crazy, went to a curb spot with some friends and everyone agreed that the difference is huge. Another nice thing is how light they are. Since they're 55mm tall which is noticeably higher than what I'm used to, I felt like I had to do put more conscious thought into all my flatground tricks, but it didn't require much physical effort like with standard indys since they are so light. The turn is also good too, really smooth and quite sharp. I struggled to fully max out the turn when trying to do sharp u-turns as my wheels would slide out before I maxed out the turn. I would maybe describe it as either a less twitchy, surfier and taller Thunder but really its just its own thing. Wheelbite wasn't really a major issue either since they're so much taller than I'm used to. Noseslides and tailslides are all on the baseplate too which is nice. The bushings and pivot cups all seem really high quality and broke in pretty quickly.

The questionable:
Someone earlier said that they thought it kinda felt like a Venture that turned better. While I agree that they turn better than Ventures, they definitely don't feel like Venture in any other way to me. They're definitely less stable, probably partially due to the increased height. But also just feel quite tippy in general and it definitely threw me off for some tricks. The pop feel I'd say is good, but doesn't feel as springy as as Ventures either. I guess this reduced stability and tippyness naturally comes with surfier turn and a higher truck. Maybe if I was skating aces before this I wouldn't have noticed it nearly as much but I haven't had a pair of aces in a while. Kingpin clearance is less than Ventures, but more than Indys, kinda similar to Aces, definitely sufficient.

They grind down significantly faster than aluminium trucks. This is somewhat a nice thing at first as you get your grooves in much quicker, but I feel like they'll probably last maybe half as long at most as a normal truck if you do a lot of grinds. For me it's worth the better grind but your priorities may differ. Lastly my biggest concern about these trucks is the durability. I already noticed a very small hairline fracture on the front baseplate on the edge of the pivot cup after doing slappies for a few hours at most. The axle also seems ever so slightly bent, at least more so than my Venture tis which I skated for much longer and my roommates brand new Aces. I'm not sure if it was like that when I bought them as I didn't check. It all feels and skates perfectly for now, but if it gets any worse then its going to be a bit of a problem. I'm also 6 5, 190 pounds and kind of heavy footed so that certainly doesnt help, but then again I skate all low impact stuff so no axle should be bending on me this early.

I'm not sure if I want to keep skating them because of how high they are and how different the pop feels, maybe I just need more time. But if I go back to Ventures I'm definitely going to miss the turn. Also am already spoilt by how they grind on concrete so I almost want to try and throw the hangers on a baseplate that makes it lower and doesn't ruin the geometry and see how that goes. Thats how you know this thread has really pushed you off the deep end. Hopefully the axle doesnt bend more and the baseplate lasts (I think it will be okay)

TLDR: Grind crazy good on concrete, turn great, higher than I'm used to, responsive and super light which I appreciate. But don't feel as stable as Ventures and not as used to the pop (maybe just need more time), and definitely have concerns about the durability.

Appreciate the info, were you skating low ventures? I'd skated the high ones prior so that might be why I compared the two since they're similar heights. I should also note the other trucks I'd been skating (aces, indys with really broken in bones bushings, and thunders with the same broken in bushings) all felt less stable than the tensors so my standard for "stability" could be sub-par. Honestly it could just be me being wrong saying they felt similar to ventures.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6717 on: November 05, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »
Expand Quote

The good:

The questionable:

[close]

Appreciate the info, were you skating low ventures? I'd skated the high ones prior so that might be why I compared the two since they're similar heights. I should also note the other trucks I'd been skating (aces, indys with really broken in bones bushings, and thunders with the same broken in bushings) all felt less stable than the tensors so my standard for "stability" could be sub-par. Honestly it could just be me being wrong saying they felt similar to ventures.

I was skating normal ventures but with the forged plates so they would have been 53.5mm tall if I'm not mistaken. I think the added 1.5mm in height as well as the slightly shorter wheelbase resulted in the feeling of tippyness and slightly less stability. Honestly, no worse and likely even better than indy standards and aces, just slightly more tippy and unstable compared to lower Ventures. I just set up a slightly shorter board so I went back to Ventures for the stability. But definitely keeping Tensors around for when I skate a board that will complement them well.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 09:05:33 PM by tzhangdox »

whatsreallygood

• what it do dirty
« Reply #6718 on: November 06, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

The good:

The questionable:

[close]

[close]

I was skating normal ventures but with the forged plates so they would have been 53.5mm tall if I'm not mistaken. I think the added 1.5mm in height as well as the slightly shorter wheelbase resulted in the feeling of tippyness and slightly less stability. Honestly, no worse and likely even better than indy standards and aces, just slightly more tippy and unstable compared to lower Ventures. I just set up a slightly shorter board so I went back to Ventures for the stability. But definitely keeping Tensors around for when I skate a board that will complement them well.

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. I forget the wheelbase but I was skating on a board with a wider WB and that probably why I enjoy them

Oldguy78

• Rep: -64
« Reply #6719 on: November 07, 2019, 01:53:35 AM »
I stripped a kingpin on a set of hollow forged Indy’s. Anyone know if/where I can get a replacement and how to replace it? Thanks guys.