Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231996 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6720 on: November 07, 2019, 02:50:03 AM »
I stripped a kingpin on a set of hollow forged Indy’s. Anyone know if/where I can get a replacement and how to replace it? Thanks guys.
Last time a kingpin broke in my case was like 18 years ago. I'd put it in a huge crack and hammer the shit out of it to take it out but I remember breaking a friend's baseplate. Better go to some, idk the word in English, "metal place" so they can take it out for you.
In other truck topic related conversation: wanted to try Krux for ages but I'm way too deep on Indy country. The times I tried other brands I've sucked more than usual...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6721 on: November 07, 2019, 03:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote
I stripped a kingpin on a set of hollow forged Indy’s. Anyone know if/where I can get a replacement and how to replace it? Thanks guys.
[close]
Last time a kingpin broke in my case was like 18 years ago. I'd put it in a huge crack and hammer the shit out of it to take it out but I remember breaking a friend's baseplate. Better go to some, idk the word in English, "metal place" so they can take it out for you.
In other truck topic related conversation: wanted to try Krux for ages but I'm way too deep on Indy country. The times I tried other brands I've sucked more than usual...
Big hammer, non rebound surface with gap that will allow the pin out whilst giving as much support as possible to surrounding base plate. I've broken cast plates and bent forged in the past. It sucks.
Top tip is to but the nut on top of the kingpin before hammering, I've flattened the top of the kingpin hammering and once I got it loose had to grind the folded metal off to get it through the hole.
Good luck.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6722 on: November 07, 2019, 11:20:14 AM »
Email indy about the kingpin, when it happend to me they replied and took care of it. Be patient tho, took a while to reply the 1st time
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Diocletian

« Reply #6723 on: November 07, 2019, 11:25:32 AM »
Yeah, if you have backup trucks I’d email Indy and wait for a replacement baseplate. Otherwise, since it’s forged, you have to put it in the oven to heat up the metal in order for the kingpin to come out easier. Then heat it up again in order to hammer one back in. Or go the Krux kingpin route and putty the nut into the bottom of the baseplate, less heating and hammering with that route and you won’t strip a kingpin again.

Oldguy78

• Rep: -64
« Reply #6724 on: November 07, 2019, 12:39:13 PM »
Thanks guys! I have other trucks so I’ll just shoot Indy an email. 

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6725 on: November 07, 2019, 01:21:07 PM »
Save the broken kp to use as a tool to get the new one in.  You can try to heat up the bp to make it easier.  Hold over a candle or something.  A spark plug socket can help too

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6726 on: November 08, 2019, 01:17:30 AM »
what's the difference between the indy "cracked ice" and ace riptide pivot cups?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6727 on: November 08, 2019, 08:21:07 AM »
what's the difference between the indy "cracked ice" and ace riptide pivot cups?
nothing as far as i can tell. ive had both. they work, nicer than most stock pivots.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6728 on: November 08, 2019, 09:44:18 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
nothing as far as i can tell. ive had both. they work, nicer than most stock pivots.
how long do they last?

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #6729 on: November 08, 2019, 10:10:05 AM »
Yeah, if you have backup trucks I’d email Indy and wait for a replacement baseplate. Otherwise, since it’s forged, you have to put it in the oven to heat up the metal in order for the kingpin to come out easier. Then heat it up again in order to hammer one back in. Or go the Krux kingpin route and putty the nut into the bottom of the baseplate, less heating and hammering with that route and you won’t strip a kingpin again.

this, ovens help as does the tip about keeping the nut on - heat and brute force will be your friend as will something to keep the baseplate secure ie a vice.

last kingpin i snapped was on my old thunders and it sheared the fuck off perfectly flush with where it protrudes through the baseplate, that was an annoyance.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #6730 on: November 08, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
how long do they last?
had a set for 5 months and they are solid still. worth the money i think.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6731 on: November 08, 2019, 11:38:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They'll tell you they were poured in different molds (and that may be the case), but they're plastic and will ultimately conform to whatever the pivot cup shape is due to pressure; I've ridden the cracked ice cups in Indy, ACE, Thunder, Venture and Theeve with zero issues.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #6732 on: November 08, 2019, 12:48:28 PM »
Hey guys its been a minute since my truck madness has kicked in (deck madness still in full effect however), so I wanted to know a couple things.

First off can someone give me a quick rundown on destructos? What do they do well and not so well? Any major differences between the d1/d2 I need to be aware of? I vaguely recall hearing that one of them has the weird in-between axle sizes ala tensor tens (8.125 rather than 8.25 etc) but I could be wrong on that. D2 mids are what I'm looking at right now but I figured I'd consult the experts before I pull the trigger.

This is all brought about because I picked up a pair of barely used Fury 8.25's for a song and dance a while back and just got around to skating them recently and I really, really like them. It's hard to really nail down their character but theyre light like a thunder with a bit of a controlled insanity to their turn like aces. That got me into the line of thinking of "are there other good trucks that I'm missing out on just because they don't have the market saturation or brand loyalty of the big guys?" which has me curious about Destructos now.

Also if anyone has or knows where I can get a pair of Fury evo 2 8.25 or 8.5 (I'm not even sure if they made 8.5s)   please let me know, I'd love to get a few more pairs since they seem to have gone dark since early last year and there doesnt seem to be much (if any) deadstock floating around.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6733 on: November 08, 2019, 10:48:51 PM »
Hey guys its been a minute since my truck madness has kicked in (deck madness still in full effect however), so I wanted to know a couple things.

First off can someone give me a quick rundown on destructos? What do they do well and not so well? Any major differences between the d1/d2 I need to be aware of? I vaguely recall hearing that one of them has the weird in-between axle sizes ala tensor tens (8.125 rather than 8.25 etc) but I could be wrong on that. D2 mids are what I'm looking at right now but I figured I'd consult the experts before I pull the trigger.

This is all brought about because I picked up a pair of barely used Fury 8.25's for a song and dance a while back and just got around to skating them recently and I really, really like them. It's hard to really nail down their character but theyre light like a thunder with a bit of a controlled insanity to their turn like aces. That got me into the line of thinking of "are there other good trucks that I'm missing out on just because they don't have the market saturation or brand loyalty of the big guys?" which has me curious about Destructos now.

Also if anyone has or knows where I can get a pair of Fury evo 2 8.25 or 8.5 (I'm not even sure if they made 8.5s)   please let me know, I'd love to get a few more pairs since they seem to have gone dark since early last year and there doesnt seem to be much (if any) deadstock floating around.

Hello

I’m back from the Bmx life, sorry guys.

Anyways destructos I wouldn’t waste time with unless your really down to try

They didn’t have any special turn feel or pop feel

They just felt like your run of the mill mid 2000’s truck that had stiff as butts bushings that need to be broken in to finally turn but it’s gonna take a lot

I rode them stock without the small top washer and they turned ok, like if you put medium hard cylinder bushing in indys

Pop was nothing to write home about, just popped okay. Not awkward like old tensor 10’s or a venture low, sorta like a thunder pop mixed with Indy

But not good, just okay.

Overall my run with the destructo d1 mid/standard id say they were not worth it if you compare them to ace, Indy, thunder and even venture high. Heck even theeves are better I would say

Ill throw in another heck, royals are probably at the same level or better

I might be hating but yah, not worth the price. If they were like $10 cheaper than the big 3 then maybe they’re worth it

If they changed their bushing formula and aluminum grade they could have a decent truck, keep the signature geo because it’s who they are but for now until they make some revisions idk how certain riders are doing destructo
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #6734 on: November 09, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »
DLX coming through with replacements for my trusty 149 Titaniums, its Thunder for life now

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #6735 on: November 09, 2019, 05:32:39 PM »
Where did you see this?  If so, I'm psyched, I was considering trying something else but if they keep making hangers, I'll keep buying them. 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6736 on: November 09, 2019, 07:41:12 PM »
Looking for truck that have the pop of Thunder 148 and the slide of an Indy 139. The axle placement of the Thunders gives an incredibly light pop but I'm always sticking on ledge tricks. Indy's shorten the wheelbase too much which makes the pop feel really heavy, but the slide feels more controllable especially for tailslides.
I'm looking at either a Venture 5.2 Lo or Thunder 147 for a more controlled pop since I find myself constantly slamming my trucks or tail onto the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6737 on: November 09, 2019, 08:43:11 PM »

Hello

I’m back from the Bmx life, sorry guys.

Anyways destructos I wouldn’t waste time with unless your really down to try

They didn’t have any special turn feel or pop feel

They just felt like your run of the mill mid 2000’s truck that had stiff as butts bushings that need to be broken in to finally turn but it’s gonna take a lot

I rode them stock without the small top washer and they turned ok, like if you put medium hard cylinder bushing in indys

Pop was nothing to write home about, just popped okay. Not awkward like old tensor 10’s or a venture low, sorta like a thunder pop mixed with Indy

But not good, just okay.

Overall my run with the destructo d1 mid/standard id say they were not worth it if you compare them to ace, Indy, thunder and even venture high. Heck even theeves are better I would say

Ill throw in another heck, royals are probably at the same level or better

I might be hating but yah, not worth the price. If they were like $10 cheaper than the big 3 then maybe they’re worth it

If they changed their bushing formula and aluminum grade they could have a decent truck, keep the signature geo because it’s who they are but for now until they make some revisions idk how certain riders are doing destructo

Thanks for the feedback dude, welcome back to having balls. Have you tried the D2? I was looking at the D2 mid lite, D1 is higher like Indy which is cool but when I want to ride a high truck I have an assortment of Indys and Ventures for that. The D2 is closer to the Thunder/Fury height which seems to be my ideal pop height. As for bushings you of all people should know I have an extensive selection so if the stock ones suck I'm sure I can find something that works. I am a little upset that they don't do the "bones licensed" bushings anymore because I always wanted a black bones medium with a red cap purely for aesthetic purposes. I got a single set of destructo bushings randomly thrown in on an ebay order a while back they seemed fine. A little hard, but that's fine with me.

And whoever commented on DLX customer support - they're fucking amazing. Seriously incredible. I emailed them last week to ask if there was a way I could buy a single Thunder to replace one I lost and they said they don't sell them that way so they'll just send me one. Not replacing a broken or defective truck, just helping me out because I'm fucking dumb. That's so cool that not only do they make some of the best products on the market (hands down the best wheels) but they also care enough about skating that they're willing to do whatever it takes to get some random dipshit rolling again. I'm not going to claim I'll settle down and only ride Thunder/Venture from now on but that definitely inspired some newfound brand loyalty in me.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6738 on: November 09, 2019, 10:51:19 PM »
Looking for truck that have the pop of Thunder 148 and the slide of an Indy 139. The axle placement of the Thunders gives an incredibly light pop but I'm always sticking on ledge tricks. Indy's shorten the wheelbase too much which makes the pop feel really heavy, but the slide feels more controllable especially for tailslides.
I'm looking at either a Venture 5.2 Lo or Thunder 147 for a more controlled pop since I find myself constantly slamming my trucks or tail onto the ledge.

Aren't indy's supposed to make the pop lighter due to the shorter wheelbase? In any case, if you want thunder pop and indy slides, ventures may be your best bet. You can slide thunders on with just baseplate if you keep your wheel size relatively small ~50mm

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6739 on: November 10, 2019, 12:41:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Aren't indy's supposed to make the pop lighter due to the shorter wheelbase? In any case, if you want thunder pop and indy slides, ventures may be your best bet. You can slide thunders on with just baseplate if you keep your wheel size relatively small ~50mm

I only tried the Indy's on towards the last 1/4 of my session so fatigue could very well have been a factor. Either way I was getting a fair bit of ghost pop and the heft the board actually helped me control my turn into tailslides.

Would you suggest the Venture 5.2 Hi or Lows?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6740 on: November 10, 2019, 04:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I only tried the Indy's on towards the last 1/4 of my session so fatigue could very well have been a factor. Either way I was getting a fair bit of ghost pop and the heft the board actually helped me control my turn into tailslides.

Have you tried/considered trying Ace? Despite the compact  wheelbase and being relatively tall I found that my pop was substantially lighter and easier than with Indys on a 14.25" wb deck. Granted this is entirely anecdotal but I found Ace to be the only truck that felt as good as Thunder in terms or pop. Going from Thunder to venture high was a lot more difficult of a transition, for me there's only a handful of decks that Ventures feel good on - the best one is an Antihero 8.28 Kanfoush deck with a 14.12" wb. Any longer than that and I struggle to find my pop for a few days  (lots of ghost popping) whereas with Ace I can pretty much throw them on any deck with a 14.25 or longer wb and be more or less good to go. Also if you're OK with the 8" axle you can get Ace lows which would probably have a very quick pop.

Like I said that's just my experience with them and I'm a horrible skater so take it with a grain of salt. I think Ventures are great trucks with the right deck, but with the wrong one they're borderline unskateable.

PS: I'm not sure how it affects the geometry but if you go the venture lo route adding an 1/8" riser makes them feel quite a bit different. Really enjoy that setup on flat  8-8.12" decks. Also here's a link for a cheap set of them if you're in the US. I ordered a pair of theeve’s from him a few months ago and he's pretty quick about shipping stuff. Free shipping starts at $50.

https://www.thelongboardstore.com/trucks/skateboard-trucks/venture-5-25-v-hollow-lights-low-skateboard-trucks/

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6741 on: November 10, 2019, 05:22:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Have you tried/considered trying Ace? Despite the compact  wheelbase and being relatively tall I found that my pop was substantially lighter and easier than with Indys on a 14.25" wb deck. Granted this is entirely anecdotal but I found Ace to be the only truck that felt as good as Thunder in terms or pop. Going from Thunder to venture high was a lot more difficult of a transition, for me there's only a handful of decks that Ventures feel good on - the best one is an Antihero 8.28 Kanfoush deck with a 14.12" wb. Any longer than that and I struggle to find my pop for a few days  (lots of ghost popping) whereas with Ace I can pretty much throw them on any deck with a 14.25 or longer wb and be more or less good to go. Also if you're OK with the 8" axle you can get Ace lows which would probably have a very quick pop.

Like I said that's just my experience with them and I'm a horrible skater so take it with a grain of salt. I think Ventures are great trucks with the right deck, but with the wrong one they're borderline unskateable.

PS: I'm not sure how it affects the geometry but if you go the venture lo route adding an 1/8" riser makes them feel quite a bit different. Really enjoy that setup on flat  8-8.12" decks. Also here's a link for a cheap set of them if you're in the US. I ordered a pair of theeve’s from him a few months ago and he's pretty quick about shipping stuff. Free shipping starts at $50.

https://www.thelongboardstore.com/trucks/skateboard-trucks/venture-5-25-v-hollow-lights-low-skateboard-trucks/

Thanks for the input. Ill stick to the big 3 for now, Theeve and Ace trucks aren't readily available in my country. My last experience with a pair of Venture Low 5.0 wasn't great, it felt too low and my pop was bottoming out and I was always jumping way higher than my board. You're right about Venture being a more specific truck for a specific board, it feels like they drastically widen the WB much more than Thunderz.. Do the Highs and Lows shift the WB in the same way?

My initial impression of Indy's was they turned well and had a great grind. But they shortened the WB too much. From my research, Ace trucks do the same thing, which makes me really hesitate to try them.

Thunders seem like the most fool proof option in terms of WB adjustment and height. I'm liking the 148 Titanium ones at the moment, I'm keen to try the 147 on a 8" board with a shorter WB, like a 14".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6742 on: November 10, 2019, 06:08:39 AM »
I have 148 team hollows on a 8 with a 14 inch wheelbase and it’s currently the best setup I have had in years. Goldilocks zone for sure

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6743 on: November 10, 2019, 06:56:24 AM »
I have 148 team hollows on a 8 with a 14 inch wheelbase and it’s currently the best setup I have had in years. Goldilocks zone for sure

Ah shit I got a couple of 8" + 14" boards lying around. Looking forward to trying that combination.

Edit: Does anyone else keep a spreadsheet of truck and board combinations? I have a Google sheet that I update with every variation I try.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6744 on: November 10, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Venture lows have a special place in my heart. I would recommend them if you don't really care about turning too much. I've haven't skated 5.2 his long enough to make a judgement. Thunder 147s are just as snappy and turn significantly better.

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6745 on: November 10, 2019, 09:56:01 AM »
I find that Thunders Team and Aces are very similar, even in terms of turning ability. Not the same story for Thunders with the forged baseplate however.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6746 on: November 10, 2019, 10:08:03 AM »
I find that Thunders Team and Aces are very similar, even in terms of turning ability. Not the same story for Thunders with the forged baseplate however.

Thankfully the shop had almost every possible combo of thunders so I could make a better decision but I went in planning to get the team baseplate.

Mr. Kamikazi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -114
  • 1,2,3,4, tell the people what she wore...
« Reply #6747 on: November 10, 2019, 12:27:04 PM »
Just grabbed Thunder 148’s polished. Stepped up from 147’s. Learned how to feeble grind much more comfortably.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #6748 on: November 10, 2019, 08:02:44 PM »

I have a set of thunder teams and a set of aces, very different trucks. 

Thunders: light, widen wheelbase, low, twitchy turn
Ace: heavy, shorten wheelbase, high, deep agressive turn

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6749 on: November 10, 2019, 09:11:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have a set of thunder teams and a set of aces, very different trucks. 

Thunders: light, widen wheelbase, low, twitchy turn
Ace: heavy, shorten wheelbase, high, deep agressive turn

Agreed, they couldn't be more different.

Much to my surprise, with ace and thunders being my favorite ends of the spectrum, I'm really enjoying the tensor atg mag lights...great jack of all trades truck.