Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231546 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6750 on: November 10, 2019, 10:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
I find that Thunders Team and Aces are very similar, even in terms of turning ability. Not the same story for Thunders with the forged baseplate however.
[close]

I have a set of thunder teams and a set of aces, very different trucks. 

Thunders: light, widen wheelbase, low, twitchy turn
Ace: heavy, shorten wheelbase, high, deep agressive turn

If we're talking about 148s and up and cast baseplates, Aces are actually lower at 52 mm vs. 52.3 mm for Thunders

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6751 on: November 10, 2019, 10:57:34 PM »
You could be right but thunders skate lower because of where the axel sits versus the pivots... People don't complain about wheelbite on Aces....

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #6752 on: November 10, 2019, 11:17:29 PM »
You could be right but thunders skate lower because of where the axel sits versus the pivots... People don't complain about wheelbite on Aces....

I mean it depends on the deck you are riding.  Both suite decks of completely different shapes/proportions.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6753 on: November 11, 2019, 12:44:57 AM »

I couldn’t believe Aces were as low as they are. I get way less wheelbite with Aces than 55 mm tall Indys. Had to measure and it actually is true. Dunno what advantage the height alone brings to a truck. When comparing Aces to Indys and Thunders, I’d say nothing because other things affect how they perform a lot more so just comparing height doesn’t tell much. Maybe not having to bend as deep when pushing is the only thing? 🤔

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6754 on: November 11, 2019, 03:19:18 AM »
Thunder 161 are 53mm tall I believe, how does that compare to 169 and 55’s again?

Thunder wheel bite is interesting, just watched Ben degros video of risers w thunder. Anyone have comments on that combo. Thunders w 55mm wheels above + risers?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:37:05 AM by jay_nev »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6755 on: November 11, 2019, 06:23:06 AM »
Thunder 161 are 53mm tall I believe, how does that compare to 169 and 55’s again?

Thunder wheel bite is interesting, just watched Ben’s video of risers w thunder. Anyone have comments on that combo. Thunders w 55mm wheels above + risers?

I don't know this "Ben" guy but I run nylock tight 147-148s with 53-54 classics-radials and a 1/8th riser. I still get bite but it's controllable with or without the riser, if I'm landing that far off centre I deserve to get pitched.
Any bigger than 54 - YES, use one (or two, one each truck).
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6756 on: November 11, 2019, 06:39:00 AM »
Does anyone have a solution for slight hangar play and trucks sticking to one side in the pivot cup that doesn't involve buying new pivot cups? Mine aren't blown out (yet) so I'm trying to extend their life before I cave and buy riptides. I already put a bunch of wax shavings in there but it mostly just mushed out.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6757 on: November 11, 2019, 08:10:13 AM »
Expand Quote

Thunder wheel bite is interesting, just watched Ben’s video of risers w thunder. Anyone have comments on that combo. Thunders w 55mm wheels above + risers?
[close]

I don't know this "Ben" guy but I run nylock tight 147-148s with 53-54 classics-radials and a 1/8th riser. I still get bite but it's controllable with or without the riser, if I'm landing that far off centre I deserve to get pitched.

Ted Degros' brother who runs a channel dedicated to skate nerdery. He goes really indepth about trucks which is awesome.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6758 on: November 11, 2019, 08:31:06 AM »
After skating thunders I got some forged titanium Indy 149s. I’m stoked to go back to Indy’s. I just never felt as comfortable on thunders as I did on the 144 Indy’s  I had. But to be fair I did play with the bushings and swapped them out on the thunders and they felt the best with the stock bushings. 

Diocletian

« Reply #6759 on: November 11, 2019, 10:58:33 AM »
During summer I rode three different trucks. Team Thunder’s 148 (stock), Ace 55’s (bones mediums), and Indy 139 Ti’s (stock and still riding these). I really noticed little difference between the turns. Perhaps Ace would have beat the other two if they were the skinnier 33-44’s? I just settled on strength>turn after bending/breaking so many Ace’s, so forged Indy Ti’s were the ones I stuck with. *shrug*

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
« Reply #6760 on: November 11, 2019, 12:11:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ted Degros' brother who runs a channel dedicated to skate nerdery. He goes really indepth about trucks which is awesome.

What’s the episode title? I’m flirting with the idea of risers now that I’ve seen several pros I respect rocking them
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

« Reply #6761 on: November 11, 2019, 12:48:23 PM »
I'm currently on the Destructo 5.75 D1 Team Lite (I skate an 8.25).

I've never seen more king pin clearance on a truck in my life.

This is my first set outside of an Independent in about 15 years and I have to say I'm pretty blown away. I skate looser trucks so I had to swap the bushings out to something a little softer but that's pretty much any truck I feel like these days.

It has a magnesium baseplate and a hollow kingpin and feels super light but also sturdy unlike other gimmicky lightweight trucks like tensor mags or something that feel like a toys r us truck.

I know they're kind of the underdog in the indy/thunder dominated truck world but I'll be honest the truck is amazing and their logo isn't identified with bigoted hate groups so that's a plus as well.

the D1 does sit a little higher than the D2 but the D2 doesn't have the kingpin clearance that the D1 does.

Also I've emailed back and forth with them and they're really responsive and even hooked it up with a discount code.

Ordered them online and to my surprise had a bunch of stickers and a free t-shirt show up with the trucks.

Might be a customer for life at this point.

They have my vote.

Expand Quote

Hello

I’m back from the Bmx life, sorry guys.

Anyways destructos I wouldn’t waste time with unless your really down to try

They didn’t have any special turn feel or pop feel

They just felt like your run of the mill mid 2000’s truck that had stiff as butts bushings that need to be broken in to finally turn but it’s gonna take a lot

I rode them stock without the small top washer and they turned ok, like if you put medium hard cylinder bushing in indys

Pop was nothing to write home about, just popped okay. Not awkward like old tensor 10’s or a venture low, sorta like a thunder pop mixed with Indy

But not good, just okay.

Overall my run with the destructo d1 mid/standard id say they were not worth it if you compare them to ace, Indy, thunder and even venture high. Heck even theeves are better I would say

Ill throw in another heck, royals are probably at the same level or better

I might be hating but yah, not worth the price. If they were like $10 cheaper than the big 3 then maybe they’re worth it

If they changed their bushing formula and aluminum grade they could have a decent truck, keep the signature geo because it’s who they are but for now until they make some revisions idk how certain riders are doing destructo
[close]

Thanks for the feedback dude, welcome back to having balls. Have you tried the D2? I was looking at the D2 mid lite, D1 is higher like Indy which is cool but when I want to ride a high truck I have an assortment of Indys and Ventures for that. The D2 is closer to the Thunder/Fury height which seems to be my ideal pop height. As for bushings you of all people should know I have an extensive selection so if the stock ones suck I'm sure I can find something that works. I am a little upset that they don't do the "bones licensed" bushings anymore because I always wanted a black bones medium with a red cap purely for aesthetic purposes. I got a single set of destructo bushings randomly thrown in on an ebay order a while back they seemed fine. A little hard, but that's fine with me.

And whoever commented on DLX customer support - they're fucking amazing. Seriously incredible. I emailed them last week to ask if there was a way I could buy a single Thunder to replace one I lost and they said they don't sell them that way so they'll just send me one. Not replacing a broken or defective truck, just helping me out because I'm fucking dumb. That's so cool that not only do they make some of the best products on the market (hands down the best wheels) but they also care enough about skating that they're willing to do whatever it takes to get some random dipshit rolling again. I'm not going to claim I'll settle down and only ride Thunder/Venture from now on but that definitely inspired some newfound brand loyalty in me.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6762 on: November 11, 2019, 01:56:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

What’s the episode title? I’m flirting with the idea of risers now that I’ve seen several pros I respect rocking them

This is the one I was referencing.
Curious w the thunder 161’s if anyone has had experience with their performance

Diocletian

« Reply #6763 on: November 11, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
I would imagine the 161’s are the same as any other Thunder just more of a mellow/slower turn because of them being wider and sitting on a bigger 8.75”-9” board, which tends to have a longer wheelbase than the smaller sizes.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6764 on: November 11, 2019, 03:40:54 PM »
I've been waiting for my local to get 161s for a few weeks.

If they are the same height as other Thunders you are probably going to get more wheelbite. Wider deck/ wider truck combos are more likely to require risers.

Regarding the above comment there are more and more wider boards with smaller wheelbase options.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6765 on: November 11, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »
Been liking my Ventures again after getting back on the 5.6(hit axle on the front truck in about month) then went back into an old set of 5.8's.

Can anyone tell me me how much more it stretches the wheelbase? same goes with Ace & Indy. How much more does it increase or decrease it betweeen those 3 truck brands.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6766 on: November 11, 2019, 04:57:06 PM »
Been liking my Ventures again after getting back on the 5.6(hit axle on the front truck in about month) then went back into an old set of 5.8's.

Can anyone tell me me how much more it stretches the wheelbase? same goes with Ace & Indy. How much more does it increase or decrease it betweeen those 3 truck brands.

It stretches the furthest of all the big brands (past Thunder).

ACE/Theeve<Indy<Thunder<Venture

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6767 on: November 11, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »

If they are the same height as other Thunders you are probably going to get more wheelbite. Wider deck/ wider truck combos are more likely to require risers.

Regarding the above comment there are more and more wider boards with smaller wheelbase options.
161s are  53mm tall I believe. 1mm taller than 151’s at 52mm. Per YouTube comment by thunder account for the latest 161 ad

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6768 on: November 11, 2019, 06:41:21 PM »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6769 on: November 11, 2019, 06:56:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gonna shamelessly link to my own post, you can see for yourself the actual wheelbase measurements and the +/- for whatever deck wheelbase you're running.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3065039#msg3065039

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6770 on: November 11, 2019, 07:40:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
161s are  53mm tall I believe. 1mm taller than 151’s at 52mm. Per YouTube comment by thunder account for the latest 161 ad

Rad. Thanks for pointing that out. They also mentioned the 161s have 6.3" wide hangers (160mm or so), which is great and puts them closer to 55s than 169s. Really want a set now.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6771 on: November 11, 2019, 08:24:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Gonna shamelessly link to my own post, you can see for yourself the actual wheelbase measurements and the +/- for whatever deck wheelbase you're running.

Gnar'd

Thanks for actually putting those together, Ventures really extend the wheelbase out a lot.

Thunder and Indy are a more general use truck, Ventures are work best of specific setups with very short WB
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #6772 on: November 11, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Gnar'd

Thanks for actually putting those together, Ventures really extend the wheelbase out a lot.

Thunder and Indy are a more general use truck, Ventures are work best of specific setups with very short WB

I think Venture's have been working out for me since i've only been sticking with decks w/ a 14-14.24 wb. I used to skate Ace's before this and it would make those dimensions feel really short.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6773 on: November 11, 2019, 09:39:33 PM »
Expand Quote
the hex nut gives you the same flat surfaces on both sides, as long as the size is correct the square one does not have any advantage over the hexagonal one...
[close]

I'd say the wider surface area would provide a lot more support against the nut rounding off the aluminum and beginning to spin. You'd be getting about twice the amount of contact per side.

As for the loctite suggestion, that could be a work around but your window for making adjustments would be really small before everything cures.

the wider surface would make it easier to spin I think. That why all things are hex. It's safer
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6774 on: November 11, 2019, 10:25:23 PM »
Going back to thunder 147 team editions after skating venture 5.2 lows. i busted my ass one too many times due to wheelbite.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6775 on: November 11, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
the hex nut gives you the same flat surfaces on both sides, as long as the size is correct the square one does not have any advantage over the hexagonal one...
[close]

I'd say the wider surface area would provide a lot more support against the nut rounding off the aluminum and beginning to spin. You'd be getting about twice the amount of contact per side.

As for the loctite suggestion, that could be a work around but your window for making adjustments would be really small before everything cures.
[close]

the wider surface would make it easier to spin I think. That why all things are hex. It's safer

They’re hex so that you can fit your wrench better, not just 4 ways. A square nut would resist slipping much better.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6776 on: November 11, 2019, 11:23:20 PM »
Going back to thunder 147 team editions after skating venture 5.2 lows. i busted my ass one too many times due to wheelbite.

Isn't the height difference only around 1mm?

https://www.tactics.com/thunder/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-147

https://www.tactics.com/venture/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-52-lo
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6777 on: November 12, 2019, 12:24:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Gnar'd

Not a problem. And indeed, Ventures throw the wheelbase quite far. Weirdly though I noticed Ventures working the best with really mellow tails. Due the wheelbase extension it makes up for the shallow pop you usually get with flatter tails.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6778 on: November 12, 2019, 12:43:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Gnar'd

[close]

Not a problem. And indeed, Ventures throw the wheelbase quite far. Weirdly though I noticed Ventures working the best with really mellow tails. Due the wheelbase extension it makes up for the shallow pop you usually get with flatter tails.

Been thinking of trying a pair for a smaller, tech setup since I find myself popping very hard and always rely on explosive pop. I get nice and high on the ledge, but the ledge is short (shin high) and my setup feels (as Ben Degros puts it) an all or nothing board. Thinking of either 5.0 or 5.2 Venture Low.

I've tried mellower boards like Habitat but I flip tricks feel bloody impossible on them. Hopefully my next Cliche board gives me that lighter pop I'm looking for.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6779 on: November 12, 2019, 09:00:51 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Isn't the height difference only around 1mm?

https://www.tactics.com/thunder/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-147

https://www.tactics.com/venture/polished-skateboard-trucks/polished-52-lo

I dont know why but i feel it makes a huge difference, that 1mm increase. I'm gonna verify with my new setup.