Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231811 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6840 on: November 19, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

any one have any feed back about film trucks ? they look good quality to me.
[close]
where can you find these in the U.S.?
[close]
they look like royals but better built if that makes sense.
[close]
that is my exact first impression

Would like to see more about those, like height and the effect on wheelbase and all that jazz

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6841 on: November 19, 2019, 11:29:08 AM »
All I could really find: The Film Trucks feature double drilled baseplates so they work with old school decks, parking block shape baseplate, dual kingpin seat (you can use a spline or old school hex head kingpin in them) and a jaw system bushing that forces the trucks hanger to always stay centred.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6842 on: November 19, 2019, 01:18:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Looks almost exactly like a Stage VIII to me.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6843 on: November 19, 2019, 02:22:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

Looks almost exactly like a Stage VIII to me.

Definite Stage VIII vibes. Did they redesign the hanger? I remember looking into them a year or so ago and them having a much more 'Thunder' looking hanger.

And for those curious, there's an interview with Daclin where he says the wheelbase on Film is "Closer to Indy than Thunder," (near the end of the interview).

http://www.mtlmediagroup.com/loveskatemag/www/?p=1419

There was another of his interviews where he stated his love for older (relatively speaking) Indy's, so that's probably indicative of what to expect with them.

Diocletian

« Reply #6844 on: November 19, 2019, 04:35:15 PM »
I’m almost positive Film trucks are made in the same factory as tensors. If you google tensor “alloy” that truck is identical to Film trucks before he did the slight redesign to the hanger earlier this year. Native skate store just got a re-up and they ship to the states. They have good pictures for all their gear, and you can see the same slight imprint circles on the bottom of a Film baseplate in the same exact spots of Tensors so that kinda makes me think even more that it’s probably the same factory. The new versions of Films look really clean with flawless casting. The widest size I’ve seen offered is the 6.0 (8.5”).

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6845 on: November 19, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
I’m almost positive Film trucks are made in the same factory as tensors. If you google tensor “alloy” that truck is identical to Film trucks before he did the slight redesign to the hanger earlier this year. Native skate store just got a re-up and they ship to the states. They have good pictures for all their gear, and you can see the same slight imprint circles on the bottom of a Film baseplate in the same exact spots of Tensors so that kinda makes me think even more that it’s probably the same factory. The new versions of Films look really clean with flawless casting. The widest size I’ve seen offered is the 6.0 (8.5”).

Where do you see the overall width? In the description it says they're for 8.5" and above so I would guess they're closer to an 8.75", especially with them being listed as 156s. Either way, now I'm tempted to try them even though I do not need new trucks in any way, shape, or form.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6846 on: November 19, 2019, 07:22:35 PM »
Cracked Ice pivot cups do indeed fit perfectly in thunders.  The new pinhole might have helped.

either way, I stand corrected

Diocletian

« Reply #6847 on: November 20, 2019, 07:59:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where do you see the overall width? In the description it says they're for 8.5" and above so I would guess they're closer to an 8.75", especially with them being listed as 156s. Either way, now I'm tempted to try them even though I do not need new trucks in any way, shape, or form.

5.25=8” 5.5=8.25” 5.75=8.5” 6.0=8.75”

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6848 on: November 20, 2019, 08:23:45 AM »
Cracked Ice pivot cups do indeed fit perfectly in thunders.  The new pinhole might have helped.

either way, I stand corrected

Yeah I though there's no way something designed for an Indy could fit in a thunder.....

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6849 on: November 20, 2019, 09:33:21 AM »
riptide cracked ice + tax + shipping = $18
these better be worth it, man. these better be worth it...

i'm gonna use these with aces. could it be their geometry that breaks pivot cups?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 09:34:59 AM by anon »

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #6850 on: November 20, 2019, 09:39:08 AM »
riptide cracked ice + tax + shipping = $18
these better be worth it, man. these better be worth it...

i'm gonna use these with aces. could it be their geometry that breaks pivot cups?

yall out here paying the price of a whole truck for pivot cups :'(

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6851 on: November 20, 2019, 09:52:34 AM »
They're definitely worth it. I can't go back now - its like premium bath tissue.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6852 on: November 20, 2019, 10:37:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
They're definitely worth it. I can't go back now - its like premium bath tissue.

Perfect analogy.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6853 on: November 20, 2019, 06:03:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Perfect analogy.

What an ass-ninie comment
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #6854 on: November 20, 2019, 06:37:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Perfect analogy.
[close]

Might want to rectal-fy that statement

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6855 on: November 20, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Perfect analogy.
[close]

[close]

Anus

yes

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #6856 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Perfect analogy.
[close]

[close]

[close]

Anus

buttholed up, what's going on here?

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6857 on: November 21, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »

Fellow truck nerd, need help identifying if this is a pair of 5.0 or 5.25 trucks. I know it has a hollow axle and kingpin, white bushings and should be a low.

Appreciate your CSI work.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6858 on: November 21, 2019, 06:05:11 AM »
V-hollow 5.2. I have a pair of 5.0 kicking around and you wouldn't believe how tiny they look.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6859 on: November 21, 2019, 06:17:43 AM »
V-hollow 5.2. I have a pair of 5.0 kicking around and you wouldn't believe how tiny they look.

Do you know if they are the 5.2 or 5.25, I think the 5.25 was an older generation naming convention.

The only info I have is the bushing height and that they are low trucks. The guy I'm planning on buying them from doesn't have a ruler or tape measure in the house, what even.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6860 on: November 21, 2019, 07:06:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you know if they are the 5.2 or 5.25, I think the 5.25 was an older generation naming convention.

The only info I have is the bushing height and that they are low trucks. The guy I'm planning on buying them from doesn't have a ruler or tape measure in the house, what even.

DLX-made 5.2s, sorry. If the screened V goes with the V of the hanger, they're DLX. If the V goes against the hanger, they're Streetcorner. Also those appear to have forged plates and I don't recall the Streetcorner Ventures doing forged (I could be wrong on that part).

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6861 on: November 21, 2019, 07:25:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

DLX-made 5.2s, sorry. If the screened V goes with the V of the hanger, they're DLX. If the V goes against the hanger, they're Streetcorner. Also those appear to have forged plates and I don't recall the Streetcorner Ventures doing forged (I could be wrong on that part).

Doing dogs work thank you
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

alright

« Reply #6862 on: November 21, 2019, 08:09:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When was the switch from streetcorner to DLX? Was it a notable improvement?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 845
« Reply #6863 on: November 21, 2019, 09:33:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's basically impossible to tell the size with any degree of certainty from that picture. Also those bushings don't look like the stock ones, ventures have a barrel bottom and a bottom washer stock. 99% sure those are bones mediums (especially given the lack of a bottom washer). So given that information, we can assume he's able to take the hanger off and he can simply do so and flip it over to get the answer. Voila!

2011'ish and I'd say the common consensus is that the trucks improved under Deluxe. Better QC and now they get Deluxe customer service/support which is second to none. I never skated Ventures back in the day so I can't really comment on the streetcorner era, but I've got 3 pairs of modern ones (5.2l, 5.6 v-hollow, 5.8 shadow) and they're all top notch trucks. I can't think of a single Deluxe product that's subpar or even merely average now that I think about it.. pretty much everything they do is above average or best in class.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 09:45:56 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6864 on: November 21, 2019, 10:41:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Doing dogs work thank you

Glad I could help.

BFRD isn't far off, but I think it was 2012. I could be wrong.

I never had any problems with Ventures when they were under Streetcorner but I remember lots of people talking about baseplates cracking and general QC issues. I believe they changed the geo a bit (hence the longer WB) and improved the turn a bit, though that might be partially due to them having good DLX bushings.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #6865 on: November 21, 2019, 11:04:41 AM »
Anyone know where might have some 215s in stock?  I heard somewhere a while back Indy/NHS sent the the last of the run out earlier in the year so what's floating around in shop inventories is what's left to pick up until the spring run.  Was really wanting to ask my lady for a 9.5" board setup for the Lord's b-day just for fun and I my 55s bent from 5-0s on a foot-tall ledge, so I'm sour on Ace for a minute and back on Indies again. 

EDIT: lol, my local has them, which isn't really a local, but a chain from SoCal with a location in a slowly dying mall.  I may run and get them there, but mostly out of convenience. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 11:14:51 AM by Mr. Stinky »

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6866 on: November 21, 2019, 11:25:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's basically impossible to tell the size with any degree of certainty from that picture. Also those bushings don't look like the stock ones, ventures have a barrel bottom and a bottom washer stock. 99% sure those are bones mediums (especially given the lack of a bottom washer). So given that information, we can assume he's able to take the hanger off and he can simply do so and flip it over to get the answer. Voila!

Expand Quote
[close]

2011'ish and I'd say the common consensus is that the trucks improved under Deluxe. Better QC and now they get Deluxe customer service/support which is second to none. I never skated Ventures back in the day so I can't really comment on the streetcorner era, but I've got 3 pairs of modern ones (5.2l, 5.6 v-hollow, 5.8 shadow) and they're all top notch trucks. I can't think of a single Deluxe product that's subpar or even merely average now that I think about it.. pretty much everything they do is above average or best in class.

Deluxe is great! I agree

Never a bad product or even average at that

Always above and beyond in all departments

Especially customer service and warranty

yes

alright

« Reply #6867 on: November 21, 2019, 11:33:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Deluxe is great! I agree

Never a bad product or even average at that

Always above and beyond in all departments

Especially customer service and warranty

Their customer service is awesome. I've had an issue with a krooked deck and they immediately resolved it by replacing it. Unfortunately, I've had another distributor treat me really lousy over the same issue(looking at you theories of atlantis). When it comes to buying a deck, the majority of ones that I plan on buying will be from DLX, save the random one here or there.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #6868 on: November 21, 2019, 02:06:21 PM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6869 on: November 21, 2019, 02:24:08 PM »
Anyone seen these in the wild/do they even exist (DLX guys?), WS is the only place I've ever seen them (stickers look legit):

Venture v-hollow high 5.6

Venture v-hollow low 5.6

I've only ever seen the V-lights (hollow pin, solid axle) out there in 5.6 in the wild and on other sites. I'd be really into checking out the V-Hollow lows for giggles on a 90s setup.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 02:30:16 PM by Xen »