Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230790 times)

7th Chamber

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6870 on: November 21, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »
Anyone seen these in the wild/do they even exist (DLX guys?), WS is the only place I've ever seen them (stickers look legit):

Venture v-hollow high 5.6

Venture v-hollow low 5.6

I've only ever seen the V-lights (hollow pin, solid axle) out there in 5.6 in the wild and on other sites. I'd be really into checking out the V-Hollow lows for giggles on a 90s setup.
I’m skating 5.6 hollows right now. I don’t think they made any 5.6 lows though.

Richard Skidder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6871 on: November 22, 2019, 05:42:22 AM »
Anyone have experience with bones medium versus ace aftermarket in Indy? I like that the bones don’t seem to freeze up as bad in colder temperatures but the durability of the bones just isn’t there.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6872 on: November 22, 2019, 06:43:35 AM »
Anyone have experience with bones medium versus ace aftermarket in Indy? I like that the bones don’t seem to freeze up as bad in colder temperatures but the durability of the bones just isn’t there.
I've had the same experience. Some candles burn twice as bright...

Skart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6873 on: November 22, 2019, 07:21:40 AM »
How long until some heady glassblower makes inserts for the venture baseplates
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6874 on: November 22, 2019, 08:37:13 AM »
I'm still experimenting with setups and I realized that with Krux I got good kickflips and with Indy they're rocket mobbed
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #6875 on: November 22, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
I'm still experimenting with setups and I realized that with Krux I got good kickflips and with Indy they're rocket mobbed

It’s how stable krux are

Indy’s are tipsy

But indys turn better and feel better

But krux help you pop better

yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6876 on: November 22, 2019, 11:55:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone seen these in the wild/do they even exist (DLX guys?), WS is the only place I've ever seen them (stickers look legit):

Venture v-hollow low 5.6

I've only ever seen the V-lights (hollow pin, solid axle) out there in 5.6 in the wild and on other sites. I'd be really into checking out the V-Hollow lows for giggles on a 90s setup.
[close]

Yeah, cut n paste typo, the v-hollow lows are 8"

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6877 on: November 22, 2019, 12:33:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s how stable krux are

Indy’s are tipsy

But indys turn better and feel better

But krux help you pop better
Tomorrow I'll try back Krux, I'm kinda liking them a lot.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6878 on: November 22, 2019, 01:08:49 PM »
I've been manic about thunders vs Indys for about 12 days. Sucks

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6879 on: November 22, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
damn. What have you learned that you can share

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #6880 on: November 22, 2019, 01:59:24 PM »

Haha, same and please share results of mania

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6881 on: November 22, 2019, 04:27:07 PM »
My current case:

I think that I'm really liking Krux so far, until now Indy had always worked the best for me.
Can't wait to find some new Tensor ATG, it would be nice to be off the Indy wagon for a change.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #6882 on: November 22, 2019, 04:37:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Venture v-hollow low 5.6

[close]
[close]

Yeah, cut n paste typo, the v-hollow lows are 8"

I've also got pair of the 5.6 hollows. It took a few tries to find a deck that matched up well with them but once I found one that felt right (8.28 AH Kanfoush shit canned construction) I realized how good they really are. I know not everyone likes the decidedly non-Indy turn of Venture high but I love it and the on-center stability helps me with flip tricks. Weight is 329g so they're around the same weight as a Thunder 149 hollow.

I just bought a set of Destructo D2 - I got the 5.75 (8.375" axle) and I'm really digging them. They're about the same height as Thunders and weigh 340g which is pretty good for a solid axle (hollow kingpin though). They have a bit of an Indy-like turn once the bushings are broken in but pop like a Thunder, which is exactly what I want in a truck. Haven't done any grinding beyond a couple short slappy crooks and a single 50-50 but I didn't notice any issues in that very limited sample.

Honestly I'd probably make the D2s my go-to truck and daily driver for the foreseeable future except that today I bought something that was probably pretty foolish - Theeve Ti-Hangers. The pair I bought are lightly used but still ended up being around $100 after shipping but they're such a rare bird that I couldn't pass them up. They should be here early next week, so I'll be sure to take some pics and whatnot if you guys want to see them. Really excited in the nerdiest way possible to give them a spin and just kind of see what they're like.

Ace bushings aren't really anything special in indys, I prefer aftermarket Indy bushings. One thing to be aware of if you do decide to go that route is the standard ace bushings are taller than Indy bushings and its enough of a difference that I had trouble getting the kingpin nut to thread when I tried it. I eventually had to rub the top bushing against some old scraps of mob and sand it down a good bit to get them to fit and I'm pretty sure even then it threw the geometry off because it just didn't feel right. Ace LOW bushings might work but I've never tried them so I can't promise anything.

Honestly I've never really liked Bones in Indys either. Indy's just seem to feel weird to me with a conical bottom, so the best aftermarket bushings I've found for them are Indy GP or if you want a "bouncy" rebound feeling then tracker superballs have been really good for me. Just beware that they feel harder than the listed duro, so I'd recommend the soft if you normally ride mediums and the mediums if you ride hard.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:59:39 AM by Buttfart Rapedick »

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #6883 on: November 22, 2019, 09:16:20 PM »

Ace bushings aren't really anything special in indys, I prefer aftermarket Indy bushings. One thing to be aware of if you do decide to go that route is the standard ace bushings are taller than Indy bushings and its enough of a difference that I had trouble getting the kingpin nut to thread when I tried it. I eventually had to rub the top bushing against some old scraps of mob and sand it down a good bit to get them to fit and I'm pretty sure even then it threw the geometry off because it just didn't feel right. Ace LOW bushings might work but I've never tried them so I can't promise anything.

Honestly I've never really liked Bones in Indys either. Indy's just seem to feel weird to me with a conical bottom, so the best aftermarket bushings I've found for them are Indy GP

Agreed on all counts. I've also used a normal bottom ace bushing and a low ace top and they felt okay while still being able to secure the kingpin nut due to the lower top bushing, I still prefer the cylinder orange aftermarket indy bushings.

alright

« Reply #6884 on: November 23, 2019, 07:14:43 AM »
My current case:

I think that I'm really liking Krux so far, until now Indy had always worked the best for me.
Can't wait to find some new Tensor ATG, it would be nice to be off the Indy wagon for a change.

That kind of makes me want to try them.

I've got a pair of venture lows on the way for a more technical setup but I really want a new set of trucks for my regular board. I've got 144 indys right now and while I do like them, I kind of don't like them in the same breath. I don't know what it is but they just aren't my favorite trucks, even though I haven't skated anything better yet.

I was away from skating for so long and when I used to skate I went through a set of royals and a set of destructos. Both of which I really like but can't see myself getting nowadays. I was thinking of trying thunders but I might go with krux next and see where that leads me. Sometimes I think I get too hung up on that shit and need to just go skate but whatever. When something feels off it feels off.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6885 on: November 23, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »
I feel Thunders are a good safe truck that can be used in most board situations, a middle ground between Indys and Ventures. Indys and Thunders are a generalist truck, Venture will feel the best on certain board combinations; still trying to find that sweet spot. I swapped out my Thunder 147 Lights for a pair of Indy 139 Hollow, let you know the difference after tomorrows session.

I'm only just getting into my truck madness, so I'll stick with the big 3 for now, until I find a good deal on some 2nd hand gear.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6886 on: November 23, 2019, 07:49:59 AM »
I feel Thunders are a good safe truck that can be used in most board situations, a middle ground between Indys and Ventures. Indys and Thunders are a generalist truck, Venture will feel the best on certain board combinations; still trying to find that sweet spot. I swapped out my Thunder 147 Lights for a pair of Indy 139 Hollow, let you know the difference after tomorrows session.

I'm only just getting into my truck madness, so I'll stick with the big 3 for now, until I find a good deal on some 2nd hand gear.
What situation is close to the sweet spot on 5.8 ventures? I have a set that I've swapped out but am not opposed to using them in the future.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6887 on: November 23, 2019, 07:52:36 AM »
Expand Quote
My current case:

[close]

I've got a pair of venture lows on the way for a more technical setup but I really want a new set of trucks for my regular board. I've got 144 indys right now and while I do like them, I kind of don't like them in the same breath. I don't know what it is but they just aren't my favorite trucks, even though I haven't skated anything better yet.

I was away from skating for so long and when I used to skate I went through a set of royals and a set of destructos. Both of which I really like but can't see myself getting nowadays. I was thinking of trying thunders but I might go with krux next and see where that leads me. Sometimes I think I get too hung up on that shit and need to just go skate but whatever. When something feels off it feels off.
Sure I can relate to that, badly.
Thunders just won't work for me, what happens to me with the is that I land sth and the wheelbite screws me up. With Indy they just turn without that wheelbite so I can roll away.
Now what's messing with my truck madness is the fact that lately my kickflips are rocket mobbed with Indy, with Krux they are way better but I lost nollie heels on the way but I'm pretty sure is because of the nose shape. We'll see...
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6888 on: November 23, 2019, 08:05:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
What situation is close to the sweet spot on 5.8 ventures? I have a set that I've swapped out but am not opposed to using them in the future.

I've never had a pair of 5.8 Ventures so I can't give you any input, I'm sorry. It's time consuming, but the only way of knowing is to setup a board with the trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6889 on: November 23, 2019, 08:46:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t have too much experience with venture hi trucks but I would think that having a short wheelbase and mellow kicks would be an ideal setup for turning and popping.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6890 on: November 23, 2019, 11:08:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I don’t have too much experience with venture hi trucks but I would think that having a short wheelbase and mellow kicks would be an ideal setup for turning and popping.

I would agree, a longer board with a short-medium WB really goes well with Ventures.

I'm running a set of 5.8 V-lights on the AWS 8.5" shape, which is 32.25" with a 14.125" WB (lots of flat). It rules, lots of pop and feels very stable but also very forgiving.

I skated nothing but Ventures from '97 until the past spring, when I switched to 159s so I could skate some bigger popsicles and shaped boards. Recently decided to size down so I could be a little less picky with boards. It feels so good to be back.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #6891 on: November 23, 2019, 11:29:49 AM »
Holy moly holy moly Ben Degros has some T4s.
I would kill for a set
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6892 on: November 23, 2019, 11:55:56 AM »
Expand Quote
My current case:

[close]

I wouldn’t wish Krux on my worst enemy!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #6893 on: November 23, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Haha, same and please share results of mania

I can tell you that one day I'm like "Indys for life, fuck the rest bro". And I come home from work, comfortable in my decision. Probably even do a bit of reading while sipping a hot chocolate.

Next day, at work, maybe watch a Puig, Ishod, Dennis clip.. start pondering if I want to "know control" or not, then I feel like I DO want to know control, go home, switch my trucks. 

I think a lot of it is from not spending too much time on the board, so I'm over analyzing all of this shit instead of just skating. I go through this all week at work. It's part of my routine now

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6894 on: November 23, 2019, 04:00:29 PM »
My current case:

Haters gonna hate but the ATGs compete right up there with Indy/Thunder.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #6895 on: November 23, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
Expand Quote
My current case:

[close]

Haters gonna hate but the ATGs compete right up there with Indy/Thunder.

I agree, ran mine till a broke a kingpin and had a terrible time getting that shit out

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #6896 on: November 23, 2019, 07:02:26 PM »
I'll admit, I've changed my setup and then changed it again before actually getting out to skate on it.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #6897 on: November 23, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »
I'll admit, I've changed my setup and then changed it again before actually getting out to skate on it.

Ha ha yes!  Me too. 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6898 on: November 24, 2019, 01:38:36 PM »

Guilty.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6899 on: November 24, 2019, 02:20:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Guilty.
Guilty-ish
I've changed my setup trying to find the perfect one for me and I always end up with the same.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.