Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232157 times)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6900 on: November 24, 2019, 04:10:44 PM »
has anyone tried both Thunder 151s and Indy 159s? going to buy both but would like to hear slap reviews
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6901 on: November 24, 2019, 05:51:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'll admit, I've changed my setup and then changed it again before actually getting out to skate on it.
[close]

Guilty.
[close]
Guilty-ish
I've changed my setup trying to find the perfect one for me and I always end up with the same.

Always chasing that feeling of the perfect setup from that 1 session. It's just 1 thing after another: board, trucks, riser, wheels and repeat.

I've been looking to try a pair of Venture 5.2 Hi (Hollow or Light) but I'm trying to cop a lightly used pair online. Only found Venture 5.2 Lows, so I'm thinking of getting a pair and sticking some risers on them. Would that give the same experience as as riding Highs or is the geometry completely different?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

cricketclub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #6902 on: November 24, 2019, 07:04:39 PM »
Thinking about trying an 8.25 on my indy 149’s. Currently on a 8.375.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6903 on: November 24, 2019, 09:42:42 PM »
Thinking about trying an 8.25 on my indy 149’s. Currently on a 8.375.
it'll be ok. mr. worrest used to skate 149s with 8.125

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #6904 on: November 24, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
did the 8.25/indy 149 combo all summer sizing down from 8.5 boards. i always liked it more than 144s/148s, felt a little too tippy on Indys. on ace 44s now with an 8.25 board, trying to adjust, the fact they're a little lower than Indys helps but something about the proportions of indy 149s makes it hard to enjoy any other truck, also makes me scared to blow money on 5.8 ventures.

Diocletian

« Reply #6905 on: November 25, 2019, 10:55:59 AM »
Anyone ever try those Royal standards with the inverted kingpins?

7th Chamber

« Reply #6906 on: November 25, 2019, 11:05:14 AM »
Ben Degros did so you don’t have to.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #6907 on: November 25, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
I think I'd almost rather just ride Krux....

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6908 on: November 25, 2019, 12:25:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Ben Degros did so you don’t have to.

One of my buds did a while back, as I remember they were nothing special/kinda cruddy. If I'm not mistaken the kingpin didn't hold itself in place so you had to have the truck off the board to tighten or loosen them, which is just poor design if you're going to have an inverted kingpin truck. The only people I know that skate Royals get them for free so I really don't see the point.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6909 on: November 26, 2019, 07:56:28 AM »
The kinpin looks beat compared to the Krux one......like an old grindking one or something. 

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6910 on: November 26, 2019, 08:34:28 AM »
has anyone tried both Thunder 151s and Indy 159s? going to buy both but would like to hear slap reviews

Yes, I used to rotate between the two. With smaller wheels and smaller wheelbase, Thunder is the way to go. Bigger wheels or longer wheel base, Indy. The 151s are noticeably lighter. Sharp responsive turn for a wide truck. Stable but you can initiate your turn super quick. Indy's feel a tad sluggish and sloppy in comparison. Also, very different timing on the pop. The Thunder pop takes a bit to get used to but when you do its great. I personally prefer Thunder. Some people don't like where the axles sit, making nose slides and tail slides slide on the wheels not the baseplate... Small, harder wheels can negate this. My 151s are pretty destroyed and I just purchased a new pair yesterday. I used them on everything from 8.5" decks to shaped 9"+ decks... When I'm not flirting with Aces...

alright

« Reply #6911 on: November 26, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, I used to rotate between the two. With smaller wheels and smaller wheelbase, Thunder is the way to go. Bigger wheels or longer wheel base, Indy. The 151s are noticeably lighter. Sharp responsive turn for a wide truck. Stable but you can initiate your turn super quick. Indy's feel a tad sluggish and sloppy in comparison. Also, very different timing on the pop. The Thunder pop takes a bit to get used to but when you do its great. I personally prefer Thunder. Some people don't like where the axles sit, making nose slides and tail slides slide on the wheels not the baseplate... Small, harder wheels can negate this. My 151s are pretty destroyed and I just purchased a new pair yesterday. I used them on everything from 8.5" decks to shaped 9"+ decks... When I'm not flirting with Aces...

What exactly about the pop with thunders is so much different?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6912 on: November 26, 2019, 10:00:22 AM »
What exactly about the pop with thunders is so much different?
Thunders extend your wheelbase, effectively shortening the tail, which makes the board pop at a steeper angle before the tail hits - thus "increasing" the pop for some people who are more used to that timing-it also makes the board more stable, so you feel more in control when you're squatting.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6913 on: November 26, 2019, 11:03:00 AM »
What Firebert said. Takes a little bit more effort and force to get the tail to pop but the result is a bit more sprack. I fuck myself by rotating between truck brands but if I just stuck to one the pop 'timing' wouldn't be an issue. A session of adjustment is all it takes.

The other weird thing to note. I was riding an old deck, that's soggy and about to die with Aces and it was responding like shit. When I put thunders back  on it, they livened it up a bit and it felt more sprightly again, probably due to the same reason as above with axle placement and pop.

Like all my reviews, take them with a grain of salt. I'm old and tired...

UPPERCASEnocap

• Rep: 3
« Reply #6914 on: November 26, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been manic about thunders vs Indys for about 12 days. Sucks
[close]

Haha, same and please share results of mania
[close]

I can tell you that one day I'm like "Indys for life, fuck the rest bro". And I come home from work, comfortable in my decision. Probably even do a bit of reading while sipping a hot chocolate.

Next day, at work, maybe watch a Puig, Ishod, Dennis clip.. start pondering if I want to "know control" or not, then I feel like I DO want to know control, go home, switch my trucks. 

I think a lot of it is from not spending too much time on the board, so I'm over analyzing all of this shit instead of just skating. I go through this all week at work. It's part of my routine now

Same. now Venture goes and gets a solid team and into the conversation...Just got a set of v-lights 5.6 and they are the VIBE on a short wb..

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #6915 on: November 26, 2019, 02:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been manic about thunders vs Indys for about 12 days. Sucks
[close]

Haha, same and please share results of mania
[close]

I can tell you that one day I'm like "Indys for life, fuck the rest bro". And I come home from work, comfortable in my decision. Probably even do a bit of reading while sipping a hot chocolate.

Next day, at work, maybe watch a Puig, Ishod, Dennis clip.. start pondering if I want to "know control" or not, then I feel like I DO want to know control, go home, switch my trucks. 

I think a lot of it is from not spending too much time on the board, so I'm over analyzing all of this shit instead of just skating. I go through this all week at work. It's part of my routine now
[close]

Same. now Venture goes and gets a solid team and into the conversation...Just got a set of v-lights 5.6 and they are the VIBE on a short wb..

Too paranoid I'll end up with a board with kicks too short for Ventures to be a regular option, shrinking them down to nothing. It really does seem they only pair well with a very specific board. Thunders are the same to an extent but I feel their lower height, light weight, and slightly smaller wb than Venture makes them a viable option on more boards.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6916 on: November 26, 2019, 05:48:32 PM »
I kike the idea of 5.6's but how high are they?  I'm pretty sure the height, and weight of a thunder keep me coming back. 

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #6917 on: November 26, 2019, 06:19:35 PM »
I kike the idea of 5.6's but how high are they?  I'm pretty sure the height, and weight of a thunder keep me coming back.

53.5  is what the 5.6 is listed as. I think both forged and cast are the same height however, the forged is stretched a little further on the wheelbase so it responds the same. Could be wrong.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6918 on: November 26, 2019, 06:23:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

53.5  is what the 5.6 is listed as. I think both forged and cast are the same height however, the forged is stretched a little further on the wheelbase so it responds the same. Could be wrong.

forged baseplates are thinner, but they do extend the wheelbase more

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #6919 on: November 26, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ya, that's obvious. But the overall height on both cast and forged is listed as 53.5. 🤷‍♂️ Is it really just the lowness of the forged that extend the wheelbase?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6920 on: November 26, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ya, that's obvious. But the overall height on both cast and forged is listed as 53.5. 🤷‍♂️ Is it really just the lowness of the forged that extend the wheelbase?

Lowering (or raising) the height won't extend your wheelbase (otherwise normal risers would have an effect). The Forged Ventures have a slightly different geometry on the baseplates that extends the wheelbase. Pics from this post show the offset of the mounting holes being farther back than cast plates,
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3046303#msg3046303

UPPERCASEnocap

« Reply #6921 on: November 26, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lowering (or raising) the height won't extend your wheelbase (otherwise normal risers would have an effect). The Forged Ventures have a slightly different geometry on the baseplates that extends the wheelbase. Pics from this post show the offset of the mounting holes being farther back than cast plates,

Right, So the forged would have to be redesigned to extend the wheelbase. Which very well could mean that design is also 53.5mm high?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 06:49:06 PM by UPPERCASEnocap »

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #6922 on: November 26, 2019, 06:56:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Right, So the forged would have to be redesigned to extend the wheelbase. Which very well could mean that design is also 53.5mm high?

The height of the hanger remains the same for both the forged and cast plates. The listing is wrong.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6923 on: November 26, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The height of the hanger remains the same for both the forged and cast plates. The listing is wrong.

Indeed, Venture forged 5.8's are right around 52mm. Comparable to Thunder Teams or Aces.

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #6924 on: November 26, 2019, 09:08:16 PM »
Anyone know of a bushing set up I can do to mimick the bones mediums in thunder hi 149s? They feel so good but the geometry isn’t mixing and tend to make a clicking sound when leaning from side to side?
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #6925 on: November 26, 2019, 09:23:37 PM »
Anyone know of a bushing set up I can do to mimick the bones mediums in thunder hi 149s? They feel so good but the geometry isn’t mixing and tend to make a clicking sound when leaning from side to side?

If you wanna maintain the geometry, you'll need another set of bones bushings for the washers they supply. Two stacked bones bushings washers + bones bottom bushing is roughly the same height as the stock thunder bottom bushing.

Rub some wax on each point of contact between the bushing and washer, the click will go away.

Skatansfinest666

« Reply #6926 on: November 26, 2019, 09:34:11 PM »
Alright hell ya thanks bro! So I just put two of the bottom washers on the bottom and run everything else normal and the bones bushings with work in the thunders?  And is that click coming from the top washer they use? I thought it was coming from the inner plastic core catching on the kingpin threads to save my life ? 🤔 at least it sounded like it was coming from there hah
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

sneakpeekmeek

« Reply #6927 on: November 26, 2019, 09:38:16 PM »
So two bones washers+stock washer+bones bushing. I'd just wax everything.

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #6928 on: November 27, 2019, 01:58:54 PM »
Anyone mess with switchmade gold bushings. Their whole gimmick is that they always return to straight

Skatansfinest666

« Reply #6929 on: November 27, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
So anyone know if it’ll work fine with bones hardcore medium bottom bushing no bottom Washer/ thunder aftermarket medium bushings (blue ones from rebuild kit) with bones bushing small washer? I’ve found out that bones bushing exact set up throws off the geometry of thunders and it makes a clicking sound when turning from side to side and I’ve heard if I do rock em still they’ll cause my pivot cups to blow out significantly faster and I just replaced them so not trying to have to order new ones again 🤷🏻‍♂️ What I got from all this tho is I love the feeling they give my thunder 149 hi they snap back really fast and straighten out nice and stable IMO it gives them a very independent like feel and turn or as close to this feeling as you can get when it comes to pop too along with turning and surfy-ness. I love everything about thunders besides their turning and that they have a slower feel to them when cruising and pushing than indys do. So I’m trying to replicate this feeling I get from the bones and as much of an Indy feel outta these thunders so if y’all got some bushing combos and promising set ups I’d be stoked to hear em!? Also I’ve got some mini logo 1/8” risers to replicate the height of my 149 stage 11 Indy hollows. So shoot the recommendations my way they’ll be welcomed with open arms 🤲🏼
D€€P_FR¿€D™️