Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231152 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6930 on: November 27, 2019, 05:13:47 PM »
Stock thunders are fine. Indy conicals fit. Bones shouldn’t be considered a contender anymore, they don’t hold up. There are so many aftermarket choices now. Pure urethane ftw.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6931 on: November 27, 2019, 05:18:22 PM »
Thinking of getting a pair of Theeve Jordan Hoffart trucks off Chuting Star sale to add to my quiver. Already have a pair of Indy 139, Thunder 148 and thunder 147. Either this or a pair of Tensor Maglite 5.5. I typically ride 8-8.25 boards.

Anyone have any reviews on them before I pull the trigger?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6932 on: November 27, 2019, 05:21:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been manic about thunders vs Indys for about 12 days. Sucks
[close]

Haha, same and please share results of mania
[close]

I can tell you that one day I'm like "Indys for life, fuck the rest bro". And I come home from work, comfortable in my decision. Probably even do a bit of reading while sipping a hot chocolate.

Next day, at work, maybe watch a Puig, Ishod, Dennis clip.. start pondering if I want to "know control" or not, then I feel like I DO want to know control, go home, switch my trucks. 

I think a lot of it is from not spending too much time on the board, so I'm over analyzing all of this shit instead of just skating. I go through this all week at work. It's part of my routine now
[close]

Same. now Venture goes and gets a solid team and into the conversation...Just got a set of v-lights 5.6 and they are the VIBE on a short wb..

5.6 V-Hollows with Bones medium bottom/soft top on a short WB/2 finger width Primitive deck feels amazing. It's just the right vibe (like using ACEs on a 14.38 WB).

UPPERCASEnocap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
« Reply #6933 on: November 27, 2019, 06:13:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've been manic about thunders vs Indys for about 12 days. Sucks
[close]

Haha, same and please share results of mania
[close]

I can tell you that one day I'm like "Indys for life, fuck the rest bro". And I come home from work, comfortable in my decision. Probably even do a bit of reading while sipping a hot chocolate.

Next day, at work, maybe watch a Puig, Ishod, Dennis clip.. start pondering if I want to "know control" or not, then I feel like I DO want to know control, go home, switch my trucks. 

I think a lot of it is from not spending too much time on the board, so I'm over analyzing all of this shit instead of just skating. I go through this all week at work. It's part of my routine now
[close]

Same. now Venture goes and gets a solid team and into the conversation...Just got a set of v-lights 5.6 and they are the VIBE on a short wb..
[close]

5.6 V-Hollows with Bones medium bottom/soft top on a short WB/2 finger width Primitive deck feels amazing. It's just the right vibe (like using ACEs on a 14.38 WB).

I tried the stock bushings for a few sessions and just couldn't do it. Put a hard bones bottom and medium top in for todays session and it straightened those ventures attitude real quick. I have aces on a 14.353 creature. You're 100% correct. Very vibey. I'm also ruining a independent forged 144 setup on a 14.25 wb and also, very vibey.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #6934 on: November 27, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »
I want thunder 161 or Indy 169... ruled out ace I guess. just wheelbase fucking me up. Riding 14.25” with tensor atg ... feel like I need more wb for room .. thinking orange eagle w 169 .. polar 1991 with thunder 161?

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6935 on: November 27, 2019, 07:56:20 PM »
I want thunder 161 or Indy 169... ruled out ace I guess. just wheelbase fucking me up. Riding 14.25” with tensor atg ... feel like I need more wb for room .. thinking orange eagle w 169 .. polar 1991 with thunder 161?

You want 151s.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6936 on: November 27, 2019, 08:11:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You want 151s.
keep seeing consistently that they rule over all else. I’m kinda drunk so spitballin here a la Black Friday. Like the idea of pushed wb for thunder but 55mm+ wheel and risers

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6937 on: November 27, 2019, 08:59:56 PM »
Yeah you'll need risers. Kind of drunk also and just set up some 151s on a Gonz sweat pants. Its 9.8" but tapers to 8.75". Was going to get 161s but the local was slow to get them and I'm trying to support the local before I indulge in Black friday/ Cyber Monday online madness. Glad I did, they look sweet. Will see how it rides. New trucks are a challenge...

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6938 on: November 27, 2019, 11:28:41 PM »
Y'all sleepn on 6.1's
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 846
« Reply #6939 on: November 28, 2019, 03:30:23 AM »
So anyone know if it’ll work fine with bones hardcore medium bottom bushing no bottom Washer/ thunder aftermarket medium bushings (blue ones from rebuild kit) with bones bushing small washer? I’ve found out that bones bushing exact set up throws off the geometry of thunders and it makes a clicking sound when turning from side to side and I’ve heard if I do rock em still they’ll cause my pivot cups to blow out significantly faster and I just replaced them so not trying to have to order new ones again 🤷🏻‍♂️ What I got from all this tho is I love the feeling they give my thunder 149 hi they snap back really fast and straighten out nice and stable IMO it gives them a very independent like feel and turn or as close to this feeling as you can get when it comes to pop too along with turning and surfy-ness. I love everything about thunders besides their turning and that they have a slower feel to them when cruising and pushing than indys do. So I’m trying to replicate this feeling I get from the bones and as much of an Indy feel outta these thunders so if y’all got some bushing combos and promising set ups I’d be stoked to hear em!? Also I’ve got some mini logo 1/8” risers to replicate the height of my 149 stage 11 Indy hollows. So shoot the recommendations my way they’ll be welcomed with open arms 🤲🏼

The clicking/squeaking most likely isn't your bushings, it's your pivot cups. Thunders are kind of notorious for it. You can either invest in some softer aftermarket cups (riptide is kind of the "bones bushing" of the pivot cup world but khiro soft worked for me and were a fraction of the price) or just put some lubricant or wax in there. Automotive Grease works really well and lasts longer than speed cream or wax.

Trying to get Thunders to feel like Indys is a fool's errand. They're just different trucks. My personal go-to Thunder  bushing is the Indy 92a conical bushings (the blue ones), but thats partially because of availability. My favorite ones are the Venom SHR 91a (sort of dark burgundy color) which are more expensive and harder to find. The venoms are the same size/shape as stock Thunders and they come in a bunch of different duros and formulas, so if you want identical geometry to stock and don't mind paying a little more then that might be your best bet.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6940 on: November 28, 2019, 04:25:40 AM »
Y'all sleepn on 6.1's
53.5mm high so same as thunders?

Skart

• Rep: -33
  • Ham control
« Reply #6941 on: November 28, 2019, 07:04:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Y'all sleepn on 6.1's
[close]

Ignoring/accepting hight differences is the most freeing thing I've ever done in my life
i need a break from this thread dawg. knowledge doesnt feel like power anymore

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6942 on: November 28, 2019, 09:01:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Y'all sleepn on 6.1's
[close]
[close]

Ignoring/accepting hight differences is the most freeing thing I've ever done in my life
Cool. Why venture

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6943 on: November 28, 2019, 09:47:15 AM »
Y'all sleepn on 6.1's

Would love to try them, especially as they are reportedly a little higher but the local was taking too long to get them...

You tried them?

Diocletian

« Reply #6944 on: November 28, 2019, 10:39:20 AM »
Those new 161 Thunders look really nice. They thickened at the pivot point slightly so they’re a lil beefier but still have the more svelt hanger ends like the rest of their sizes. I prefer the Thunder/Ace aesthetic it’s different than some clunky looking Indy/Venture/Theeve hanger.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #6945 on: November 28, 2019, 10:52:16 AM »

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6946 on: November 28, 2019, 11:30:22 AM »
"cracked ice" riptides for $11.86 + free shipping
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard/products/71509/riptide-cracked-ice-indy-pivot-cups

Damn if I didn't just grab some regular ones off Daddies a couple days ago, I'd gladly jump on these.

Skatansfinest666

• Rep: 0
  • Everything skateboarding 🛹 • Avid THC enthusiast
« Reply #6947 on: November 28, 2019, 01:33:58 PM »
Damn will these for in my thunder 149 hi?
D€€P_FR¿€D™️

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6948 on: November 28, 2019, 04:29:03 PM »
Damn will these for in my thunder 149 hi?

Yes, they will for just fine (I've used them in all the big brand trucks).

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6949 on: November 28, 2019, 04:37:37 PM »
Those new 161 Thunders look really nice. They thickened at the pivot point slightly so they’re a lil beefier but still have the more svelt hanger ends like the rest of their sizes. I prefer the Thunder/Ace aesthetic it’s different than some clunky looking Indy/Venture/Theeve hanger.
the banner ads got me wanting

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6950 on: November 28, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
Currently either ride Ace 44 or 159, always intrigued by Thunder 151, but have always hated all their other sizes. I skate loose trucks, prefer 14.25wb, but that always feels that bit too short with Indys and Ace especially so I stick to 14.375-14.5. I ride 55mm+ wheels so Thunder has always been wheelbite city, obviously with some risers it gets a bit better. Want to try 151 with an 8.5 14.25wb.

Question is do the 151's skate any different to their other sizes? Mostly skate tranny, but being on the couch for the next few months healing up from some surgery, Ive gotten the itch to skate some more tech stuff, especially flip tricks which ive never put any time into in the past 10 years ive been skating. Still want to feel good on transition at the same time though

Is 151 what i'm looking for?? Or am I going to buy them and hate how light and brittle they feel like the other sizes?

Having madness even though I wont be skating for quite a while
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:43:18 PM by texasplant »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #6951 on: November 28, 2019, 07:10:49 PM »
yes.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6952 on: November 28, 2019, 10:40:58 PM »
Sounds like it's worth a shot.....I think they'll turn differently....maybe I'd try skating 54's while your at it....

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #6953 on: November 29, 2019, 05:02:25 AM »
As someone who, for the past 10 years, has only skated indys and ace, what would you recommend for someone looking to dip their toes into a lighter/smaller setup?

I usually skate 8.5 (or 8.25 if I'm feeling like switching it up) with Ace 44 or Indy 149. I tend to put 54-56mm wheels and prefer conical shapes but like classics too.

I'm thinking thunder hollow lights 148 would be a good truck for me. I can try an 8" deck but can put them on an 8.25 if I feel like 8 is too narrow.

Would I be better off getting Indy titanium hollows? I really want to try something different so just buying a lighter "high-tech" version of the trucks I already have seems like a copout.

Anything else I should look at? I want to buy from the local shop so grind king or those tensors everyone seems to like these days are out of the picture.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6954 on: November 29, 2019, 06:24:02 AM »
As someone who, for the past 10 years, has only skated indys and ace, what would you recommend for someone looking to dip their toes into a lighter/smaller setup?

I usually skate 8.5 (or 8.25 if I'm feeling like switching it up) with Ace 44 or Indy 149. I tend to put 54-56mm wheels and prefer conical shapes but like classics too.

I'm thinking thunder hollow lights 148 would be a good truck for me. I can try an 8" deck but can put them on an 8.25 if I feel like 8 is too narrow.

Would I be better off getting Indy titanium hollows? I really want to try something different so just buying a lighter "high-tech" version of the trucks I already have seems like a copout.

Anything else I should look at? I want to buy from the local shop so grind king or those tensors everyone seems to like these days are out of the picture.

I really like Thunder 148s as a versatile truck for boards 8-8.25, however I have always preferred Thunders and I always come back after trying other brands. That being said, they are vastly different from Indy/Ace. You may find yourself missing the height or smooth carving turn of Indy/Ace if you go to Thunder. Thunder's turn is more of a quick response but it does bottom out whereas Indy/Ace keeps turning. Another thing I think you might end up struggling with is wheelbite running 54-56mm wheels. I run 52-53mm and even on standard height Thunders I still get a fair amount of wheelbite if I'm skating sloppily. I would say if you want a lighter/smaller setup with Thunders you should look into downsizing your wheels too, and maybe ride a homie's board with Thunders to see if you can jive with their turning and pop because they really are going to be different than what you're used to.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #6955 on: November 29, 2019, 06:30:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really like Thunder 148s as a versatile truck for boards 8-8.25, however I have always preferred Thunders and I always come back after trying other brands. That being said, they are vastly different from Indy/Ace. You may find yourself missing the height or smooth carving turn of Indy/Ace if you go to Thunder. Thunder's turn is more of a quick response but it does bottom out whereas Indy/Ace keeps turning. Another thing I think you might end up struggling with is wheelbite running 54-56mm wheels. I run 52-53mm and even on standard height Thunders I still get a fair amount of wheelbite if I'm skating sloppily. I would say if you want a lighter/smaller setup with Thunders you should look into downsizing your wheels too, and maybe ride a homie's board with Thunders to see if you can jive with their turning and pop because they really are going to be different than what you're used to.

Sorry, I forgot to mention... I will be trying 52mm wheels on this new setup. I want to go smaller and lighter across the board.

And different is good. I want something different.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #6956 on: November 29, 2019, 06:56:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sorry, I forgot to mention... I will be trying 52mm wheels on this new setup. I want to go smaller and lighter across the board.

Definitely go for it then, to me Thunders are unbeatable for a lighter technical truck (amazing pinch-ability on grinds) and they function just as well on transition and bigger stuff when you need them to.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6957 on: November 29, 2019, 12:20:18 PM »

Sounds like you've already narrowed it down. Since you've only ACE/Indy, and you want to try something different, the only logical choices are Thunder or Venture (stick with the hollow lites in case you hate them).

148/5.6/8.25" would be perfect - they work great on 8 all the way to 8.38; probably the most versatile size made.

If you do a lot of tail/nose slides Venture might work better for you due to the extended base plate and they are closer to Indy's than Thunders in terms of feel/ease of transition. I'm partial to Thunders but currently riding Ventures due to the marketing hype train =D

I also skate ACE (instead of Indy) when riding 8.3+ big wheel setups for transition and also have a more 'tech' setup when skating street (smaller width, smaller wheels and either ventures or thunders).

If you go thunder, leave the bushings stock, recommend bones for ventures over stock).

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6958 on: November 29, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Had the same mind set. I was skating mainly Indy's for like 10 years, tried Ace too. Wanted sth different, went the Krux way and I'm pretty happy.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #6959 on: November 29, 2019, 05:31:11 PM »
i pulled the trigger on some 55s today for $36 at the local to try on my 9' eagle. have them stock at the minute, but have some worn in bones hardcores on standby. taking them to the park for a spin and i really hope i love them cause they look fucking great.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo