Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232315 times)

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #6960 on: November 29, 2019, 07:12:45 PM »
Noticed a store near me stocks Tracker... what stops Tracker from being a 'current' truck company? I don't hear anything about them in modern times, but they have seemed to stick around for this long so what are they doing wrong?

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #6961 on: November 29, 2019, 08:33:26 PM »
Noticed a store near me stocks Tracker... what stops Tracker from being a 'current' truck company? I don't hear anything about them in modern times, but they have seemed to stick around for this long so what are they doing wrong?

Maybe some other views will chime in, I'm just going from 2nd hand story telling info. If you watch any of Grosso's LL episodes, Trackers are pretty universally agreed to have been durable but terrible trucks, in that they didn't turn. And of that time period always had an association with the "vari-bot" crowd. As for why they're not really considered an option now? They never really made any successful push beyond being a nostalgia brand. You could throw Gullwing in that category too but they at least have the BAKU guys repping them. I can't name anyone currently on Tracker and that's probably the reason right there.

Truck marketing, despite whatever technical advancement, is always gonna rely on who rides them. Theeve had an intense team when they started but that faltered almost as quickly as it came. Now they're rarely part of any truck conversation despite offering a lot of things people look for in a truck and actually having dealt with bad QC. 

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #6962 on: November 29, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
i pulled the trigger on some 55s today for $36 at the local to try on my 9' eagle. have them stock at the minute, but have some worn in bones hardcores on standby. taking them to the park for a spin and i really hope i love them cause they look fucking great.
55s are some of the best trucks I’ve ever ridden. I could only imagine how good they’d feel on a 9 pop! Enjoy them dude!

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #6963 on: November 29, 2019, 11:20:24 PM »
Need some quick input on Theeve 7.91 CSX trucks in terms of WB, weight and height, planning on riding it on 8" - 8.25" boards. Thanks!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

B0udoir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6964 on: November 29, 2019, 11:32:13 PM »
I'm thinking thunder hollow lights 148 would be a good truck for me.

If you are coming from Indy/Aces and don't want to experience a radical change, maybe you could also think about Thunder Team editions. With a 1mm higher baseplate, all Thunders Team above 148 are higher than regular Aces, and it changes a lot about the wheelbite issue. Many people disagree with me, but I personally find that Team 148 and 149 have a similar turn as Aces 44s. However I don't like the "regular" Thunders, they're too low for me.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #6965 on: December 01, 2019, 02:17:06 PM »
Need some quick input on Theeve 7.91 CSX trucks in terms of WB, weight and height, planning on riding it on 8" - 8.25" boards. Thanks!

CSX now come with hollow axle and pins, get them if you are concerned about weight.

Height, WB and weight are about the same as an (standard vs. standard) Indy of the same size.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6966 on: December 01, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm thinking thunder hollow lights 148 would be a good truck for me.
[close]

If you are coming from Indy/Aces and don't want to experience a radical change, maybe you could also think about Thunder Team editions. With a 1mm higher baseplate, all Thunders Team above 148 are higher than regular Aces, and it changes a lot about the wheelbite issue. Many people disagree with me, but I personally find that Team 148 and 149 have a similar turn as Aces 44s. However I don't like the "regular" Thunders, they're too low for me.

I like my 148 Titaniums more than my Indy Stage 10 139 Hollow forged, not exactly comparable trucks but the pop feel works much better for me since I usually pop hard for my tricks. The height is a happy medium, slightly taller than 147 and much higher than Venture Lows. I'm saving them for when I move up to bigger boards like those bigger than 8.25".
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #6967 on: December 02, 2019, 12:20:17 AM »
Can anyone post a photo of 55’s on an 8.5? Looking to run 56mm conical fulls but not sure if they will overhang too much. For reference I prefer 159 on 8.5 so a little overhang is good.

55's too heavy/wide on an 8.5? Sick of 44's feeling tippy even with 3 washers on the inside. Anyone have any opinions on this? Would test it myself but I'm injured so I can't skate/set my board up with one working arm haha.

Also planning to strip the 55s back to raw as they’re black, is regular paint stripper fine?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:37:56 AM by texasplant »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6968 on: December 02, 2019, 03:08:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Can anyone post a photo of 55’s on an 8.5? Looking to run 56mm conical fulls but not sure if they will overhang too much. For reference I prefer 159 on 8.5 so a little overhang is good.
[close]

55's too heavy/wide on an 8.5? Sick of 44's feeling tippy even with 3 washers on the inside. Anyone have any opinions on this? Would test it myself but I'm injured so I can't skate/set my board up with one working arm haha.

Also planning to strip the 55s back to raw as they’re black, is regular paint stripper fine?
I had 55 on an 8.5 and it looked like Frankenstein. Not my cup of tea for sure.
Regarding "rawing" your trucks you'll be ok with classic paint remover but use gloves and do it outside. 
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6969 on: December 02, 2019, 04:37:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Regarding "rawing" your trucks you'll be ok with classic paint remover but use gloves and do it outside.

+ safety goggles

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6970 on: December 02, 2019, 04:49:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

+ safety goggles
Please don't forget that.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6971 on: December 02, 2019, 04:50:50 AM »

Took me like 20 mins
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

I AM

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6972 on: December 03, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
so i just got free indy 169s from the warranty and they're definitely the newer ones. they have bushings that look and feel almost exactly like supercush except the indy ones have those rib things and the bottom bushing is 1mm shorter. super cush bottom = 14mm, indy bottom = 13. compared to the old stock bushings, they seem to be a bit brighter shade of orange and the top bushing is 1mm shorter. old indy = 11mm, new indy =10mm.

picture of the rib things

the pivot cups have also changed. they now have a rounded edge, just like the indy aftermarket cups. they feel harder than old stock/indy aftermarket cups. the new stock cups look and feel like they're made out of the plastic used in the interior of newer cars.

also, ive noticed that the hanger cavity has changed a bit. the new hanger fits the bushings way better than the old hanger.

new stage 11

old stage 11

this could mean that the new ones are actually stage 12s, much like how indy sold stage 11s at the tail end of the stage 10 production run, so maybe the geometry is a bit different? idk. 

i rode them for a bit when i went shopping for groceries and they felt fucking great. ive been riding theeve csx 6.5s and the new indys turn almost exactly like them, except they dont wheelbite as much. they feel very responsive and stable and im very pleased with them. i rode the indys completely stock and the theeves with indy aftermarket 90a conicals with the bottom washer only and the nut tightened enough so they dont rattle.

I AM

« Reply #6973 on: December 03, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

CSX now come with hollow axle and pins, get them if you are concerned about weight.

Height, WB and weight are about the same as an (standard vs. standard) Indy of the same size.
theeve csx is about 51mm tall while standard indys are about 55mm. the wheelbase is way shorter than indy, in fact, its even shorter than ace.

Diocletian

« Reply #6974 on: December 03, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
Yep, all the China Indy hate and yet they’re the best I’ve had besides old stage 7’s. I just got some Thunder 161’s though, so I’ll be trying these out stock at an indoor bowl soon. Will report back.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6976 on: December 03, 2019, 10:30:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
theeve csx is about 51mm tall while standard indys are about 55mm. the wheelbase is way shorter than indy, in fact, its even shorter than ace.

...Height, WB and weight are about the same...

Theeve claim 55mm, measurements to back yours up? I've always thought they were a bit lower but didn't break out the tools to check as to me, they are close enough.

I AM

« Reply #6977 on: December 03, 2019, 11:19:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

...Height, WB and weight are about the same...

Theeve claim 55mm, measurements to back yours up? I've always thought they were a bit lower but didn't break out the tools to check as to me, they are close enough.
i got those measurements from this guy : http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/08/photos-and-specifications-of-new-theeve.html?m=1
he also has the weight on there, if you're curious.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6978 on: December 03, 2019, 01:31:46 PM »
I'm suffering hardcore truck madness now. Pray for me
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

baustin

• Rep: 117
« Reply #6979 on: December 03, 2019, 02:19:29 PM »

You might have to do what I did and just stick your #1 go to trucks back on and give all your excess trucks away at your local park. You'll feel good about turning your over consumption into a positive thing and helping others.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #6980 on: December 03, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »

do yourself a favor a get far away from this thread
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #6981 on: December 03, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I wish I could. I need professional help.
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6982 on: December 03, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I wish I could. I need professional help.

Wish I could help, I got infected too. Telling myself to stuck to the 3 big brands only for now. The lack of Ace and Theeve trucks in my region is helping, somewhat. But wheels, damn Spitfire and Bones for their effective marketing for making me buy shit.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #6983 on: December 03, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »
Theeves are sick, short of having to maybe get new bushings, no problem.  ACEs if you like carving and turning are great trucks too....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6984 on: December 03, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Theeves are sick, short of having to maybe get new bushings, no problem.  ACEs if you like carving and turning are great trucks too....

It's too bad they fucked themselves with the shitty quality control way back, they never bounced back (at least stateside). Clearly they are still making enough money to make new runs; guessing down under they still see good sales.

Without them we wouldn't have TI anything I'm betting. And without Theeve and ACE we might not have seen Stage XIs when we did.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #6985 on: December 04, 2019, 12:53:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I came here for guidance originally. Was like pouring a bucket of petrol on a small contained fire.
Thankfully I'm not rich enough to start paying $14 for pivot cups. 
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #6986 on: December 04, 2019, 01:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I came here for guidance originally. Was like pouring a bucket of petrol on a small contained fire.
Thankfully I'm not rich enough to start paying $14 for pivot cups.

Skip eating for a few days and soon you too could be the owner of some fresh buttery ass pivot cups.  ;)

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #6987 on: December 04, 2019, 06:08:57 AM »
Yep, all the China Indy hate and yet they’re the best I’ve had besides old stage 7’s. I just got some Thunder 161’s though, so I’ll be trying these out stock at an indoor bowl soon. Will report back.

Same I just got some Indy 149s and they feel great. My pop is kinda fucked coming off thunders but that’s on me.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #6988 on: December 04, 2019, 07:54:12 AM »
Does Anyone have any idea on how to prevent baseplate holes from warping? Tightening up hardware usually helps prevent my trucks from sliding around but I had to retire a pair of trucks before because the warp was bad and doing a grind would make them crooked even with tight hardware.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #6989 on: December 04, 2019, 07:57:36 AM »
Does Anyone have any idea on how to prevent baseplate holes from warping? Tightening up hardware usually helps prevent my trucks from sliding around but I had to retire a pair of trucks before because the warp was bad and doing a grind would make them crooked even with tight hardware.
I like to put griptape on the bottom of my baseplates so that they don't slide as much.