Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231912 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7020 on: December 05, 2019, 08:55:02 AM »
Any idea when stage XII is going to happen? Been a while since XI came out, already scared of change.

Does the move to China constitute a change in stage?  Pics show there are slight differences in the hanger casting.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7021 on: December 05, 2019, 09:25:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wait....if all these trucks....'work'.....you saying it's just us? 

Koo-koo?
[close]

You're tripping man. You suggesting I suck at Skateboarding because I lack the necessary dexterity, agility and propreception? And that the gear doesn't matter?
[close]

Whoa-whoa-whoa there buddy, pump the brakes. It's defo the gear, now just calm down and let me tell you all about these carbon fiber speed washers I have that make my fakie flips pop real good....
[close]

Give me 20, I'll pay double. You got any of that new hollow bolts? Trying to lighten my setup.

Would you like some Hollow Light nuts to go with those?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 775
« Reply #7022 on: December 05, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »
do ace bushings work with ventures?
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #7023 on: December 05, 2019, 03:58:46 PM »
anyone know the duro of stock thunder bushings. i feel dumb for even asking this 

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7024 on: December 05, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wait....if all these trucks....'work'.....you saying it's just us? 

Koo-koo?
[close]

You're tripping man. You suggesting I suck at Skateboarding because I lack the necessary dexterity, agility and propreception? And that the gear doesn't matter?
[close]

Whoa-whoa-whoa there buddy, pump the brakes. It's defo the gear, now just calm down and let me tell you all about these carbon fiber speed washers I have that make my fakie flips pop real good....
[close]

Give me 20, I'll pay double. You got any of that new hollow bolts? Trying to lighten my setup.
[close]

Would you like some Hollow Light nuts to go with those?

Give me 20, I'll pay double. Punching holes into my griptape and drilling holes into my  wheels.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7025 on: December 05, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »
do ace bushings work with ventures?

Only if you mixed a set of tall and lows. Tall bottom, low top, then it's close (ish) to a standard indy bushing set which is the same height as Ventures.

anyone know the duro of stock thunder bushings. i feel dumb for even asking this 

90d across the board on all Thunders.

Edit: Comp pics of Ace talls and Indy Standards (see here for comp between Indy and Venture),
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88977.msg3147702#msg3147702

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 04:35:40 PM by palelight »

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7026 on: December 05, 2019, 04:24:26 PM »

90a I think. You want the white ones.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #7027 on: December 05, 2019, 04:37:19 PM »
thanks dudes

Woos

• Rep: 7
« Reply #7028 on: December 05, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Has anyone looked into modding Thunder kingpins?

If I could get a down low kingpin installed in some Thunder 147s and 149s but could also still use Bones Hardcores I’d be so happy.  Smiths and feebles are fucked... especially on the 147s.

Also what feels softer;
Bones Hardcore Hard Bottom w/ Medium Top
or
Bones Hardcorw Medium Bottom w/ Hard Top?

I’m currently running Hard Bottom and Medium Top on my 147s because double medium was causing a bit too much wheelbite and double hard takes too long to break in and they’re way too stiff before being broken in.

I hate having to waste the extra bushings... it feels stupid and “expensive” (for bushings).  I’ll just start putting the softer combination on my 149s since it’s not too different from double mediums.

Also I find Indies to work better than Thunders on ledges that are crusty... they grind through it better.  Especially on nose/tail slides because the baseplate actually makes contact.  However Thunders pinch better and are lower so they feel much better on smooth ledges.  Also Thunders have a high kingpin so Smiths and Feebles suck with them.  Forged Indies are nice because they’re lower than standard ones. This helps with balance on ledges.

I find Thunders to be better for stalls and grinds in transition due to them being lower. I feel much more balanced and can feel the tricks more.  Indies are better at carving however so it’s not really Indies for transition and Thunder for ledges.  They both shine in different areas.  If you’re skating ledges with Thunder make sure your wheels are squared and hard with a good formula or you aren’t moving anywhere nor are you comfortably locking in when doing nose/tail slides.  I personally ride 52mm 99a Radial Slims.  I’d ride 101a if the ground was nicer where I normally skate.  The Formula 4 99a formula does slide very well however so I’m not even concerned about it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 08:45:51 PM by Woos »

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7029 on: December 05, 2019, 08:44:44 PM »

If I could get a down low kingpin installed in some Thunder 147s and 149s but could also still use Bones Hardcores I’d be so happy.  Smiths and feebles are fucked... especially on the 147s.

Also what feels softer;
or

I’m currently running Hard Bottom and Medium Top on my 147s because double medium was causing a bit too much wheelbite and double hard takes too long to break in and they’re way too stiff before being broken in.

I hate having to waste the extra bushings... it feels stupid and “expensive” (for bushings).  I’ll just start putting the softer combination on my 149s since it’s not too different from double mediums.

Bones bushings change the geometry of thunders. 94/97a thunder bushings might suit you.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7030 on: December 05, 2019, 08:55:36 PM »

Also what feels softer;
or

Also I find Indies to work better than Thunders on ledges that are crusty... they grind through it better.  Especially on nose/tail slides because the baseplate actually makes contact.  However Thunders pinch better and are lower so they feel much better on smooth ledges.  Also Thunders have a high kingpin so Smiths and Feebles suck with them.  Forged Indies are nice because they’re lower than standard ones. This helps with balance on ledges.

I find Thunders to be better for stalls and grinds in transition due to them being lower. I feel much more balanced and can feel the tricks more.  Indies are better at carving however so it’s not really Indies for transition and Thunder for ledges.  They both shine in different areas.  If you’re skating ledges with Thunder make sure your wheels are squared and hard with a good formula or you aren’t moving anywhere nor are you comfortably locking in when doing nose/tail slides.  I personally ride 52mm 99a Radial Slims.  I’d ride 101a if the ground was nicer where I normally skate.  The Formula 4 99a formula does slide very well however so I’m not even concerned about it.

Indys feel so good on a chunky ledge, they really live up to the name "Built to Grind". They feel so solid and just plow through the ledge. I'm liking my Thunder 147 & 148 more though, the like the heavier pop it gives and the turning is fine by me. I used to think all trucks turned the same and rode my trucks very tight; tick tacking > carving / turning.

First time contemplating a durometer other than 101a, how do the F4 99a feel? I recently tried F1 Streetburners and they were way too slippery for the skatelite ledge I usually skate. F4 101a wheels feel great but I'm always hungry to switch things around.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7031 on: December 06, 2019, 01:59:22 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know everyone says the Thunder stock bushings are always 90A but I got a set of 149 titanium lights with white bushings and my mate got a set of 149 team titaniums with red bushings around the same time and his bushings were mad soft, like Indy super soft soft and mine were way too stiff for my taste, stiffer than Indy stock bushings for sure. Could have been a fluke though, dunno. I got a new set of Thunder 90A bushings just the other day to try on the trucks later on, if they’d be a bit more soft.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7032 on: December 06, 2019, 03:02:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know everyone says the Thunder stock bushings are always 90A but I got a set of 149 titanium lights with white bushings and my mate got a set of 149 team titaniums with red bushings around the same time and his bushings were mad soft, like Indy super soft soft and mine were way too stiff for my taste, stiffer than Indy stock bushings for sure. Could have been a fluke though, dunno. I got a new set of Thunder 90A bushings just the other day to try on the trucks later on, if they’d be a bit more soft.

Very possible. I had a set of Team hollows, clear red, and they were waaaay softer than a buddy who just had normal team 149's (clear yellow I think). Problem being, the DLX bushings are injection molded (which is why you see all the air bubbles and voids), not the best process for tolerances/consistency.

Diocletian

« Reply #7033 on: December 06, 2019, 12:08:24 PM »
I found the culprit for these Thunder 161’s being off...horrible stock pivot cups. Tried Ace Riptide’s and they didn’t fit. Dug through a bunch of extra cups I had in a baggy and found two that were pretty much new and are the same mold as Thunder stocks. Drop of speed cream...what a friggin difference. I also rediscovered some Venom SHR bushings in my junk hardware box, and they fit perfect in Thunders with Bones washers. Can’t wait to skate these again.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #7034 on: December 06, 2019, 01:10:56 PM »
I found the culprit for these Thunder 161’s being off...horrible stock pivot cups. Tried Ace Riptide’s and they didn’t fit. Dug through a bunch of extra cups I had in a baggy and found two that were pretty much new and are the same mold as Thunder stocks. Drop of speed cream...what a friggin difference. I also rediscovered some Venom SHR bushings in my junk hardware box, and they fit perfect in Thunders with Bones washers. Can’t wait to skate these again.

I was thinking about getting those venoms but was afraid they wouldn’t fit. Might have to try. What duro you use?

Diocletian

« Reply #7035 on: December 06, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »
94a just be sure you compare them next to whatever truck you’re using’s stock bushing/washer so you maintain the geo. I feel like these Venom bushings have a pretty tall bottom but the top is a normal height I’d say.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #7036 on: December 06, 2019, 02:42:46 PM »
94a just be sure you compare them next to whatever truck you’re using’s stock bushing/washer so you maintain the geo. I feel like these Venom bushings have a pretty tall bottom but the top is a normal height I’d say.

The 94 is what I was looking at, I have the thunder team hollows so if they work for you I’m sure they will work for me with the washers like you.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7037 on: December 06, 2019, 07:22:25 PM »
wtf stock they were that bad? 161 were just released a few months ago. Sucks they needed to be heavily modified imo

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7038 on: December 07, 2019, 09:55:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
wtf stock they were that bad? 161 were just released a few months ago. Sucks they needed to be heavily modified imo

They need to be broken in. Sounds like he only skated them once or twice. I think I've changed pivot cups in my trucks about twice in over 30 years of skateboarding.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7039 on: December 07, 2019, 11:08:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They need to be broken in. Sounds like he only skated them once or twice. I think I've changed pivot cups in my trucks about twice in over 30 years of skateboarding.

Goddamn it thank you.
The less i fuck with things the better they are.
I am very interested to hear more about the 161s. I had 151s and really like them but just gave them to a coworker that had a wack setup.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7040 on: December 07, 2019, 11:57:57 AM »
Same. I've been trying to ride my shit stock. Trucks feel like shit for a good few sessions. No getting around that.

Diocletian

« Reply #7041 on: December 07, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »
My experience has been, if the stock cups and bushings suck, it only gets worse, not better. I can see why people don’t mess with the cups from a laziness standpoint. If you don’t have some needle nose pliers handy, holy shit it’s a pain in the ass. Unless it’s those new China Indy’s, there’s no truck out there that I haven’t had to at least put some different bushings in so they feel right.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #7042 on: December 07, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

pivot cups have gone to shit across some major brands. recently i've had indy and thunders that have needed new cups right out of the bags. the indy's where all the red&blk printed forged hollows from the last 5 or so years, like 6 sets all had shit bushings & pivot cups.

like FredFrank, i have never had to replace pivot cups from 1985-2015. somewhere around 2015, they cheaped out on cups. the new indy laser-engraved titaniums, hollows and the standards indy's with the dot on the baseplate all have better bushings & pivot cups now though.

seems like thunders pivot cups have gone to shit very recently.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 03:54:18 PM by BL0B »

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7043 on: December 07, 2019, 04:02:40 PM »
Speaking of pivot cups. Although I'm not totally sold on the $20+ pivot cup thing, I'd like the option. Any members in Canada know where they sell Riptides up here?

chingchu

• Rep: -25
« Reply #7044 on: December 07, 2019, 04:08:14 PM »
Speaking of pivot cups. Although I'm not totally sold on the $20+ pivot cup thing, I'd like the option. Any members in Canada know where they sell Riptides up here?

you can get them off riptide website.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7045 on: December 07, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Indeed. But I like to try and buy in Canada when possible. If I say, buy two sets of riptides from their site ($27USD), plus shipping to Canada ($10USD), and after Paypal exchange rates (always dumb high), I'm looking at around $55 Canadian. Bit much for me.

chingchu

« Reply #7046 on: December 07, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Indeed. But I like to try and buy in Canada when possible. If I say, buy two sets of riptides from their site ($27USD), plus shipping to Canada ($10USD), and after Paypal exchange rates (always dumb high), I'm looking at around $55 Canadian. Bit much for me.

you not going to find them any cheeper.  where in canada are you?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7047 on: December 07, 2019, 04:30:08 PM »

Southern Ontario. I have a pickup box in Michigan I use for bigger stuff. If I can't find them here, and I'm still after them, probably just order them to my place in Michigan the next time I have a decent enough order size o justify the drive. Just making sure I wasn't missing any obvious place up here that might have em.

chingchu

« Reply #7048 on: December 07, 2019, 04:32:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Southern Ontario. I have a pickup box in Michigan I use for bigger stuff. If I can't find them here, and I'm still after them, probably just order them to my place in Michigan the next time I have a decent enough order size o justify the drive. Just making sure I wasn't missing any obvious place up here that might have em.

canadian women are the best

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7049 on: December 07, 2019, 08:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

pivot cups have gone to shit across some major brands. recently i've had indy and thunders that have needed new cups right out of the bags. the indy's where all the red&blk printed forged hollows from the last 5 or so years, like 6 sets all had shit bushings & pivot cups.

like FredFrank, i have never had to replace pivot cups from 1985-2015. somewhere around 2015, they cheaped out on cups. the new indy laser-engraved titaniums, hollows and the standards indy's with the dot on the baseplate all have better bushings & pivot cups now though.

seems like thunders pivot cups have gone to shit very recently.

Goddamn it, I’m the asshole.
Sorry for that