Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1223263 times)

Weezil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7230 on: December 22, 2019, 02:58:50 PM »
they definitely grind down a lot faster than Indys. I personally kind've hate the grind and how I catch kingpin on slappys even though I'm not that close to axle, but I kind of keep coming back to them because it does feel kind of good when I have the curb waxed up extra.
honestly was super surprised at how nice slappys feel with ventures. stood on them and thought I was gonna hate them but slappys feel great. for me nothing beats Indys for slappys and I'll probably revert back to those eventually unless these new 8.5 aces are really good, just can't settle in on the 44s, gotta have a 149/5.8 truck. felt the same way about indy 144s so I'm glad I didn't snag 5.6s after how easy it was to settle in on such a drastically different geo.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7231 on: December 22, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
The consensus is Aces's grind quite well....I've always thought they were just plain softer....I think they grind down quickly though and they don't have a ton of meat in them like an Indy....
Couldn't agree more with you. Aces wear down like butter near a hot knife. In my experience Krux feeling is totally different from any other truck.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #7232 on: December 23, 2019, 04:30:41 PM »
I just don’t think I can do Thunders. I love the feel when I push and feel close to the ground but they turn like ass and I get crazy wheelbite. Even with 52s and tight ass trucks. Gonna go back to indys tonight and try them with a board with a longer wheel base. Was planning on skating more transition anyways. I’ll buy some bearings and hardware soon though and have two setups. Mwahaha.

Diocletian

« Reply #7233 on: December 23, 2019, 06:02:34 PM »
Yeah. Been skating these 161’s and even with risers and using some high quality Venom bushings they just don’t offer that last bit of deep carve you need to get the most out of transition/bowls. Bones washers allowed it a tiny bit more, and no washers was just flop to get-pitched wheelbite. Thunders are completely off my list of truck madness options.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7234 on: December 23, 2019, 06:24:02 PM »
Yeah. Been skating these 161’s and even with risers and using some high quality Venom bushings they just don’t offer that last bit of deep carve you need to get the most out of transition/bowls. Bones washers allowed it a tiny bit more, and no washers was just flop to get-pitched wheelbite. Thunders are completely off my list of truck madness options.
I wanted to like them, got them coming back from an injury and was tired of skating strictly indy for well over a decade. But I guess I used them for a reason. Should have messed with board shapes before I started messing with my trucks.

Diocletian

« Reply #7235 on: December 23, 2019, 07:41:25 PM »
Yeah Indy’s have been seen through the scope of “overrated” by me for awhile. Then they stepped their quality up a notch and seem to have a stage 11.5-12 going right now and the turning is really just as good as the Ace’s without the severe quality control issues. But I wanted a new wide Thunder so I tried.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7236 on: December 23, 2019, 09:02:49 PM »
Yeah Indy’s have been seen through the scope of “overrated” by me for awhile. Then they stepped their quality up a notch and seem to have a stage 11.5-12 going right now and the turning is really just as good as the Ace’s without the severe quality control issues. But I wanted a new wide Thunder so I tried.
i haven't skated indys in years - prior to the development of my truck preferences. i deliberately avoided them because they are "overrated". now i want a light truck and am considering the forged hollows. it'd be nice if they did turn as well as aces

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1578
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7237 on: December 24, 2019, 07:55:04 AM »
Indys are overrated in that they aren't necessarily better than everything else....but they aren't worse either...Aces turn better for sure, to me they are the number one truck to try if you are setting up something on the bigger side.  Indys have more options though, don't shrink your wheelbase, and beefier.....

Re 161's: 8.25 and up=ACE, Indy.  8.25 and under: Thunder, Venture, Indy

There's just a point when you're skating certain size boards where the truck properties don't translate, it could even just be marketing....but who gives a shit about ACE 33's? 

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #7238 on: December 24, 2019, 09:05:17 AM »
Indys are overrated in that they aren't necessarily better than everything else....but they aren't worse either...Aces turn better for sure, to me they are the number one truck to try if you are setting up something on the bigger side.  Indys have more options though, don't shrink your wheelbase, and beefier.....

There's just a point when you're skating certain size boards where the truck properties don't translate, it could even just be marketing....but who gives a shit about ACE 33's?

If someone was just starting, I would have recommended them Indy’s, in the past. Good neutral. Rather not support them now tho.

Right when ace came out I had the 33s, and I’m still very fond of how they look. Fuckin squirrelly those ones.

Really torturing myself with the back n forth between 5.2 or 5.6 hi’s. A little overhang is good. But.....

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7239 on: December 24, 2019, 09:39:12 AM »

id really divide them by how they affect your wheelbase first, truck performance second, and maybe truck height last. but then again im really sensitive to wb so that might just be me
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7240 on: December 24, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
I’d like to try Ace because I like the look but they have an even shorter wheel base don't they? I should  sell my thunders. $25 shipped. Skated a curb for like an hour.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #7241 on: December 24, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
I’d like to try Ace because I like the look but they have an even shorter wheel base don't they? I should  sell my thunders. $25 shipped. Skated a curb for like an hour.
Pm’ed

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7242 on: December 24, 2019, 08:16:20 PM »
I’d like to try Ace because I like the look but they have an even shorter wheel base don't they? I should sell my thunders. $25 shipped. Skated a curb for like an hour.
ace w the shortest wheelbase yeah.

anon

« Reply #7243 on: December 25, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »
so film trucks are now available in the US
https://eurotings.com/collections/all-film
kind of tempted, but must resist... someone tell ben degros to review them

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7244 on: December 25, 2019, 05:16:21 PM »

Anyone seen this?
It's easy to eyeball and compare if you have the trucks in hand but I think getting accurate measurements would be frustrating
You wanna imagine a line going thru the center of the pivot nub/cup and where the hanger pivots on the bottom (baseplate side) bushing. I try to guess where the top of the bushing would intersect the center of the kingpin
Then for offset you're eyeballing off that imaginary line. Roll center might be worth noting too
Try to explain that to the guy at Zumiez

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_skateboards_turn
Some math here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/htmlview
And some measurements here

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7245 on: December 26, 2019, 12:23:08 AM »
got $65 gift card for my local for christmas and want to try out the venture 6.1. coming from thunder, what can i expect?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #7246 on: December 26, 2019, 12:28:35 AM »
got $65 gift card for my local for christmas and want to try out the venture 6.1. coming from thunder, what can i expect?

Less twitchy. Considerably harder to wheelbite. They're capable of tuning deeper once they're broken in but the turn takes longer (like a bigger arc that doesn't bottom out like Thunders do). Excellent clearance. Height and weight are very similar. 

Nap

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7247 on: December 26, 2019, 01:39:44 AM »
I wanna switch from a 8.25 (with 144 Indys) to 8.38. Is it recommended to stick with 144's or do I have to switch up to 149's ?
I'm kinda afraid, if the trucks are wider than the board, that the turning is getting less loose.

Thank you in advance.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #7248 on: December 26, 2019, 01:55:24 AM »
I wanna switch from a 8.25 (with 144 Indys) to 8.38. Is it recommended to stick with 144's or do I have to switch up to 149's ?
I'm kinda afraid, if the trucks are wider than the board, that the turning is getting less loose.

Thank you in advance.

Just stick with it, you won't notice anything.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7249 on: December 26, 2019, 02:38:46 AM »
Expand Quote

Thank you in advance.
[close]

X2, you shouldn't have any problem unless you're thinking of sizing up in the future to 8.5 and beyond.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

BMCsteve

« Reply #7250 on: December 26, 2019, 06:11:39 AM »

I tried some 6.1's this week and did not like them at all.  I have to attribute it to the cast baseplates.  I love v-hollow 5.8 and 5.2 but once you increase the height and pull the axles in, the Ventures to be just became an Indy.  They completely lost that magical venture pop

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7251 on: December 26, 2019, 06:55:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried some 6.1's this week and did not like them at all.  I have to attribute it to the cast baseplates.  I love v-hollow 5.8 and 5.2 but once you increase the height and pull the axles in, the Ventures to be just became an Indy.  They completely lost that magical venture pop
selling? Cast still push the wb out only something like 1/8” less than the forged I thought was measured. Arent 5.8 hollow 53.5mm high too same as 6.1? versus 55mm for Indy
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 06:57:39 AM by jay_nev »

7th Chamber

« Reply #7252 on: December 26, 2019, 07:26:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

BMCsteve

« Reply #7253 on: December 26, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
selling? Cast still push the wb out only something like 1/8” less than the forged I thought was measured. Arent 5.8 hollow 53.5mm high too same as 6.1? versus 55mm for Indy

Giving them to a homie this weekend.  The cast ventures are 53.5 and I normally skate forged indys so they're the same height.  Having only skated the forged ventures previously (except for the 90s) they felt like completely different trucks. 

Better turn, no more magic pop which is exactly how i would describe Indys

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7254 on: December 26, 2019, 03:16:20 PM »
my venture 5.8s now a little more broken in do kinda remind me of stage 10 Indys, the turn isn't as sharp as stage 11, they're a little lower then stage 11. only difference is way more kingpin clearance and so far they don't have that secret feature where they lock up and pitch you at random like stage 10 did for me. I can see why the hype is there now because I didn't see it at all when I got them, but I wasn't hating either. Pretty much stage 10 Indys for me with the wheelbase just a little bit stretched out.

I miss stage 10 Indys, aside from getting pitched, that hasn't happened to me on any other truck. idk how it even would happen but I took my worst slams on those trucks.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7255 on: December 26, 2019, 04:43:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

do you have a picture to compare the 5.8 and 6.1 axles? didnt hear anything about the axle being pushed in. i ride 1/8 risers so the height wont be an issue but i do want to try the longer wb trucks so get back to us when you can

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7256 on: December 26, 2019, 06:17:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Thank you in advance.
[close]

[close]
X2, you shouldn't have any problem unless you're thinking of sizing up in the future to 8.5 and beyond.

X3 - I actually prefer 8.3xs with 8.25" trucks over 149s.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #7257 on: December 26, 2019, 06:25:59 PM »
Just to be different but I hated my first 8.375 with 144s, I even had phat wheels to counter it and nothing. Switched to 149s this past January and haven’t looked back

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #7258 on: December 26, 2019, 07:21:50 PM »
Ended up with a pair of Krux and in trying to ride them, I found that the turning radius isn’t nearly tight enough for me (I’m coming from riding thunders and Indy’s wobbly loose/almost wobbly loose) so I got to tinkering.

It turns out that if you put an Indy baseplate (keeping the Indy king pin and bushings so far) on a Krux hanger, you end up with an interesting mix of the qualities of both. They turn almost like Indy’s, keep the height that both trucks usually have, keep the lighter weight of the Krux hangar and also with the big king pin clearance of Krux. The wheelbase seems pushed out slightly further than Indy with this modification , but the pop feels virtually the same.

I think it’s because the square part of the top of the baseplate that the kingpin comes out of on Indy’s is significantly higher than that of Krux, so it pushes the Krux hanger forward slightly and elevates the back of the hanger which seems to give it a deeper turning radius. It seems like, when you press the wheel into the wheel well, that this Indy baseplate makes the wheel arc towards the center of the deck more than the Krux baseplate which seems to keep a straighter line to the wheel well when pressing the wheel down.

Anyway, I would not buy Krux with this modification in mind, but if you end up with a pair and want to screw around with them rather than letting them go to waste, this seems to help the turning problem.

I haven’t ridden them long enough to say for sure, but it doesn’t seem like this modification would put weird stresses on the truck that would make it break more easily either.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7259 on: December 26, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »
Ended up with a pair of Krux and in trying to ride them, I found that the turning radius isn’t nearly tight enough for me (I’m coming from riding thunders and Indy’s wobbly loose/almost wobbly loose) so I got to tinkering.

It turns out that if you put an Indy baseplate (keeping the Indy king pin and bushings so far) on a Krux hanger, you end up with an interesting mix of the qualities of both. They turn almost like Indy’s, keep the height that both trucks usually have, keep the lighter weight of the Krux hangar and also with the big king pin clearance of Krux. The wheelbase seems pushed out slightly further than Indy with this modification , but the pop feels virtually the same.

I think it’s because the square part of the top of the baseplate that the kingpin comes out of on Indy’s is significantly higher than that of Krux, so it pushes the Krux hanger forward slightly and elevates the back of the hanger which seems to give it a deeper turning radius. It seems like, when you press the wheel into the wheel well, that this Indy baseplate makes the wheel arc towards the center of the deck more than the Krux baseplate which seems to keep a straighter line to the wheel well when pressing the wheel down.

Anyway, I would not buy Krux with this modification in mind, but if you end up with a pair and want to screw around with them rather than letting them go to waste, this seems to help the turning problem.

I haven’t ridden them long enough to say for sure, but it doesn’t seem like this modification would put weird stresses on the truck that would make it break more easily either.

I can definitely see this being the case. A mate of mine was running the opposite - Krux baseplate and kingpin, Indy 159 hangar. Did the opposite of what you described, made the turn more linear. I hated it but he seemed to think it was worth it for the downlow kingpin.

Interesting to know though - I do like how Krux hangars look but they turn like dog shit