Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232419 times)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7260 on: December 26, 2019, 07:59:48 PM »
This is probably a dumb question, but would there be any issues of using an 149 baseplate on a 159 hanger? Im assuming not...but thought the more educated amongst you would know.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7261 on: December 26, 2019, 08:04:08 PM »
This is probably a dumb question, but would there be any issues of using an 149 baseplate on a 159 hanger? Im assuming not...but thought the more educated amongst you would know.

No problems at all. Only difference is it won't be 6 hole, which literally doesn't matter.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #7262 on: December 26, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Ended up with a pair of Krux and in trying to ride them, I found that the turning radius isn’t nearly tight enough for me (I’m coming from riding thunders and Indy’s wobbly loose/almost wobbly loose) so I got to tinkering.

It turns out that if you put an Indy baseplate (keeping the Indy king pin and bushings so far) on a Krux hanger, you end up with an interesting mix of the qualities of both. They turn almost like Indy’s, keep the height that both trucks usually have, keep the lighter weight of the Krux hangar and also with the big king pin clearance of Krux. The wheelbase seems pushed out slightly further than Indy with this modification , but the pop feels virtually the same.

I think it’s because the square part of the top of the baseplate that the kingpin comes out of on Indy’s is significantly higher than that of Krux, so it pushes the Krux hanger forward slightly and elevates the back of the hanger which seems to give it a deeper turning radius. It seems like, when you press the wheel into the wheel well, that this Indy baseplate makes the wheel arc towards the center of the deck more than the Krux baseplate which seems to keep a straighter line to the wheel well when pressing the wheel down.

Anyway, I would not buy Krux with this modification in mind, but if you end up with a pair and want to screw around with them rather than letting them go to waste, this seems to help the turning problem.

I haven’t ridden them long enough to say for sure, but it doesn’t seem like this modification would put weird stresses on the truck that would make it break more easily either.
[close]

I can definitely see this being the case. A mate of mine was running the opposite - Krux baseplate and kingpin, Indy 159 hangar. Did the opposite of what you described, made the turn more linear. I hated it but he seemed to think it was worth it for the downlow kingpin.

Interesting to know though - I do like how Krux hangars look but they turn like dog shit

Interesting! Yeah, that turn felt awful to me, I can’t imagine seeking that out but then again I’m sure a lot of folks would hate the way I ride my set ups haha. It was really odd to have wobbly loose trucks that barely turned. Never felt that in a truck before and it kind of felt like they were broken, like they weren’t doing what they were supposed to. The hangers do look cool and I like the king pin clearance even with the Indy kp. I’ll probably try and see if the Krux inverted kp fits in my thunders at some point to see if I can get some Smith grinds on those finally.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:34:02 PM by Sundaynuggets »

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7263 on: December 26, 2019, 08:56:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ended up with a pair of Krux and in trying to ride them, I found that the turning radius isn’t nearly tight enough for me (I’m coming from riding thunders and Indy’s wobbly loose/almost wobbly loose) so I got to tinkering.

It turns out that if you put an Indy baseplate (keeping the Indy king pin and bushings so far) on a Krux hanger, you end up with an interesting mix of the qualities of both. They turn almost like Indy’s, keep the height that both trucks usually have, keep the lighter weight of the Krux hangar and also with the big king pin clearance of Krux. The wheelbase seems pushed out slightly further than Indy with this modification , but the pop feels virtually the same.

I think it’s because the square part of the top of the baseplate that the kingpin comes out of on Indy’s is significantly higher than that of Krux, so it pushes the Krux hanger forward slightly and elevates the back of the hanger which seems to give it a deeper turning radius. It seems like, when you press the wheel into the wheel well, that this Indy baseplate makes the wheel arc towards the center of the deck more than the Krux baseplate which seems to keep a straighter line to the wheel well when pressing the wheel down.

Anyway, I would not buy Krux with this modification in mind, but if you end up with a pair and want to screw around with them rather than letting them go to waste, this seems to help the turning problem.

I haven’t ridden them long enough to say for sure, but it doesn’t seem like this modification would put weird stresses on the truck that would make it break more easily either.
[close]

I can definitely see this being the case. A mate of mine was running the opposite - Krux baseplate and kingpin, Indy 159 hangar. Did the opposite of what you described, made the turn more linear. I hated it but he seemed to think it was worth it for the downlow kingpin.

Interesting to know though - I do like how Krux hangars look but they turn like dog shit
[close]

Interesting! Yeah, that turn felt awful to me, I can’t imagine seeking that out but then again I’m sure a lot of folks would hate the way I ride my set ups haha. It was really odd to have wobbly loose trucks that barely turned. Never felt that in a truck before and it kind of felt like they were broken, like they weren’t doing what they were supposed to. The hangers do look cool and I like the king pin clearance even with the Indy kp. I’ll probably try and see if the Krux inverted kp fits in my thunders at some point to see if I can get some Smith grinds on those finally.
not worth it if you like to skate wobbly loose. the kingpin not being fixed in place delays the turn ever so slightly. subtle, but kind of annoying from my experience. even if you use epoxy to hold the nut still, the kingpin isn't long enough to engage the nylon on the nut. you'd have to crank 'em tight. although you could use threadlocker... i advise against them, but i guess you'll have to see for yourself

the krux inverted kingpins did their job, but it's not the same without the grind of the kingpin nut on a smith. it felt too smooth -- bleh. if you want kingpin clearance, don't go with thunders
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 09:02:53 PM by anon »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #7264 on: December 26, 2019, 09:14:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No problems at all. Only difference is it won't be 6 hole, which literally doesn't matter.

6 hole looks cooler. Undeniable

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #7265 on: December 26, 2019, 09:19:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
not worth it if you like to skate wobbly loose. the kingpin not being fixed in place delays the turn ever so slightly. subtle, but kind of annoying from my experience. even if you use epoxy to hold the nut still, the kingpin isn't long enough to engage the nylon on the nut. you'd have to crank 'em tight. although you could use threadlocker... i advise against them, but i guess you'll have to see for yourself

the krux inverted kingpins did their job, but it's not the same without the grind of the kingpin nut on a smith. it felt too smooth -- bleh. if you want kingpin clearance, don't go with thunders

I love this shit, that’s so interesting about the looseness of the kingpin delaying the turn. Do you think shaving down the bushings could help with the problem of the length of the kingpin? I shave my top bushings anyway to keep the trucks loose without the nut falling off

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7266 on: December 26, 2019, 09:34:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I love this shit, that’s so interesting about the looseness of the kingpin delaying the turn. Do you think shaving down the bushings could help with the problem of the length of the kingpin? I shave my top bushings anyway to keep the trucks loose without the nut falling off
yeah. on second thought, the last i tried them was with aces, which have a tall top bushing. it'll definitely work better with regular bushings sanded down

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #7267 on: December 26, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
yeah. on second thought, the last i tried them was with aces, which have a tall top bushing. it'll definitely work better with regular bushings sanded down

Nice, I have a set of those grind kind inverted kingpins laying around too, I wonder if those are any longer and would work better with Aces like you mentioned, or if those are too short as well. I’ll try it out when I get the chance and post results

texasplant

« Reply #7268 on: December 26, 2019, 10:30:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Nice, I have a set of those grind kind inverted kingpins laying around too, I wonder if those are any longer and would work better with Aces like you mentioned, or if those are too short as well. I’ll try it out when I get the chance and post results

Also have a pair of GK pins i've been meaning to put in something, is there a tutorial or anything out there? I had a little play around but it involved taking the truck off to adjust - fuck that

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #7269 on: December 26, 2019, 11:53:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks man. I was gonna try it out as i have forged hollow 149 and hollow 159...so wanted to save money and make my own set of forged hollow. Seems like it would be a good option then.

Sundaynuggets

« Reply #7270 on: December 27, 2019, 04:31:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Also have a pair of GK pins i've been meaning to put in something, is there a tutorial or anything out there? I had a little play around but it involved taking the truck off to adjust - fuck that

I haven’t seen a tutorial, but if any pop up I’ll send them your way!

TastyBurrito

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #7271 on: December 27, 2019, 03:00:25 PM »
I’m riding Thunder 148’s right now, but my wife got me an 8.5” board for Christmas. Will my 148’s be too small/squirrely for that size board? Or should I be sizing up to 149’s?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7272 on: December 27, 2019, 04:23:38 PM »
I’m riding Thunder 148’s right now, but my wife got me an 8.5” board for Christmas. Will my 148’s be too small/squirrely for that size board? Or should I be sizing up to 149’s?
If I were you keep the 8.5 and see if you like it, then you can size up the trucks. You don't want to get 149's if you're not going to be happy with an 8.5 board.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #7273 on: December 27, 2019, 04:32:54 PM »
Selling my new thunder 147s and 149s on eBay. Sold my venture 5.0 and 5.25s on there. Forcing the ownership of only Indys. The madness must stop

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7274 on: December 27, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »
Selling my new thunder 147s and 149s on eBay. Sold my venture 5.0 and 5.25s on there. Forcing the ownership of only Indys. The madness must stop
You know it won't :(
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

satan

• Rep: 38
« Reply #7275 on: December 27, 2019, 05:22:48 PM »
Really?
No one's touching this?
I thought at least someone here would be interesting in geeking on the math

Anyone seen this?
It's easy to eyeball and compare if you have the trucks in hand but I think getting accurate measurements would be frustrating
You wanna imagine a line going thru the center of the pivot nub/cup and where the hanger pivots on the bottom (baseplate side) bushing. I try to guess where the top of the bushing would intersect the center of the kingpin
Then for offset you're eyeballing off that imaginary line. Roll center might be worth noting too
Try to explain that to the guy at Zumiez

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_skateboards_turn
Some math here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/htmlview
And some measurements here

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #7276 on: December 27, 2019, 06:43:17 PM »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7277 on: December 27, 2019, 07:28:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

God speed my friend.

Decided to remove the riser pads off my Thunder 147 and setup felt a lot more under control. My board was feeling a little too poppy and removing the couple of millimeters of height helped give my pop more control.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7278 on: December 27, 2019, 07:41:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gonna get that itch and buy some more thunders watch ;)

I say this because I know...

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #7279 on: December 27, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
So I skated Thunders for a long time but never liked how the wheels catch on nose\tailslides so I recently tried ventures and have been having success. But out of curiosity i've been thinking about trying Thunder hangers in the venture baseplates just because I like how they look more. Has anyone else tried it before?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7280 on: December 27, 2019, 07:58:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Dude. For sure. Me: nah man, I hate Indy’s, five away hollow Indy 139s....buy them 8 months later. I do this so much. I always give shit away. Which is good, but then I always want it back. Which is weird.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #7281 on: December 27, 2019, 08:03:17 PM »
So I skated Thunders for a long time but never liked how the wheels catch on nose\tailslides so I recently tried ventures and have been having success. But out of curiosity i've been thinking about trying Thunder hangers in the venture baseplates just because I like how they look more. Has anyone else tried it before?

Do it and report back. I put tensor atg hangers in venture forged baseplates a month or two ago for shits and it became a really low truck lol, turned decent but got wheelbite way too easy because it was so low.

Surprisingly it made a lot of flip tricks easier for somehow, mostly kickies, sw and nollie heels. I think due to the reduced height and weight.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #7282 on: December 27, 2019, 08:27:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do it and report back. I put tensor atg hangers in venture forged baseplates a month or two ago for shits and it became a really low truck lol, turned decent but got wheelbite way too easy because it was so low.

Surprisingly it made a lot of flip tricks easier for somehow, mostly kickies, sw and nollie heels. I think due to the reduced height and weight.

I'm thinking about trying it the next warm day. Just from setting it up it looks like it almost works but the venture kingpin has more angle so the Thunder hanger doesn't sit flat on the bottom bushing, might still have to try it though

texasplant

« Reply #7283 on: December 28, 2019, 12:30:30 AM »
I need Venture 6.1 reviews ASAP please. They just look so damn good. How are they compared to Indy 159?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7284 on: December 28, 2019, 02:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Dude. For sure. Me: nah man, I hate Indy’s, five away hollow Indy 139s....buy them 8 months later. I do this so much. I always give shit away. Which is good, but then I always want it back. Which is weird.
Not weird at all, happened to me so many times...
Expand Quote
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7285 on: December 28, 2019, 03:47:16 AM »
Anyone have input on Tensor Mag Lights in 5.25? Ridden Thunder 147 / 148 and Indy 139. Need input on what they do to WB and overall pop feel.

Thanks and Shalom.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

7th Chamber

« Reply #7286 on: December 28, 2019, 03:56:44 AM »
I need Venture 6.1 reviews ASAP please. They just look so damn good. How are they compared to Indy 159?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7287 on: December 28, 2019, 05:34:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

yeah, solid positive review. The slow grind is a bit of a bummer. And haven’t heard anyone else mention the cockeyed-bushing/stuck position dealbreaker Ben mentions toward the end.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7288 on: December 28, 2019, 08:58:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah, solid positive review. The slow grind is a bit of a bummer. And haven’t heard anyone else mention the cockeyed-bushing/stuck position dealbreaker Ben mentions toward the end.

This review was wack to me, and I really like his channel: he seemed to conclude that the bushings didn’t work for him. The trucks got stuck in perms lean.
The next review he did was for the grind king disruptor....he concluded that after modifying the fuck out of them they were good.....
I’m good with venture stock bushings. But ventures, more than any other truck in my experience, can benefit from bones hardcore bushings. I also like to remove the top washer, as I’ve experienced some binding issues.
I have a bias to liking venture. I just like the brand. I also like the pop.
Watching some of Ben’s reviews on venture, he seems to skate really well on the trucks, and then conclude that he likes thunder and Indy more at the end. All good. I’m the same way (MINUS THE WAY HE FUCKING RIPS), just different conclusion.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 10:00:55 AM by Ok »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #7289 on: December 28, 2019, 09:21:11 AM »
I was surprised he didn’t mess w the washers or bushings at all too. Like he kinda just gave up even tho he said he skated really well on em.