Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1226141 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7800 on: February 10, 2020, 02:43:53 PM »
My questions are has any one noticed the thunder teams been getting progressively higher since the team trucks conception?

Second question what is the ride height at ctr axle  supposed to be? Isn't is like 51.5 or something
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7801 on: February 10, 2020, 03:51:11 PM »
My questions are has any one noticed the thunder teams been getting progressively higher since the team trucks conception?

Second question what is the ride height at ctr axle  supposed to be? Isn't is like 51.5 or something

I just replaced some 151s with some 151s that were several years old hoping they'd be a little higher. I looked very carefully for any differences. The only difference was  maybe a little more meat in the wings... Exact same height, which is supposed to be around 52.5

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7802 on: February 10, 2020, 06:56:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just replaced some 151s with some 151s that were several years old hoping they'd be a little higher. I looked very carefully for any differences. The only difference was  maybe a little more meat in the wings... Exact same height, which is supposed to be around 52.5

thank you.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sammyz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 82
« Reply #7803 on: February 13, 2020, 12:38:15 PM »
Does anyone ride an 8.5 with 159’s?

Also why is it that standard indy’s feel better than hollow and forged? Every time i go back to standards i wonder why i bother with the other stuff...its almost like the extra weight helps with my pop and generally a nicer ride...but maybe its just me.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 182
« Reply #7804 on: February 13, 2020, 12:47:57 PM »

Also why is it that standard indy’s feel better than hollow and forged? Every time i go back to standards i wonder why i bother with the other stuff...its almost like the extra weight helps with my pop and generally a nicer ride...but maybe its just me.

Might be the extra 1.5mm height from the Forged to the standard youre feeling?

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7805 on: February 13, 2020, 12:50:49 PM »

last time i bought 159s (pre-china) they were so fucked, and they also got stuck on curbs cuz theyre like the exact same width. now i skate 149s on 8.38s but they seem like the better size for 8.5s too.  I agree that there's no reason to buy the "nicer" ones.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7806 on: February 13, 2020, 08:16:22 PM »

I have and really liked it. 8.58 felt best on 159 imo. Better than 8.75 pops.

Also I have the same feeling about my hollows. Always loved the turn and pop on my 159s and got hollows because of that. They feel sluggish, stiff and not dynamic for some reason.

PMA

mrdanielcarter

• Rep: -7
« Reply #7807 on: February 13, 2020, 08:43:42 PM »
Thunder 161s, Orbs 53mm, and REDS .

Indys are for #nazis .

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7808 on: February 13, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
Thunder 161s, Orbs 53mm, and REDS .

Indys are for #nazis .

Maybe try not to get hate during your first posts on here.
Positivity goes a long way, you know.

As much as nazis suck, the iron cross Logo and brand image of Indy are questionable. His question was factional and that was asked for.

There is enough bullshit Threads that go off where people can throw feces as much as they want. If that is why you’re online, check the “useless wooden toy banter” section on slap.

Shalom

PMA

Diocletian

« Reply #7809 on: February 16, 2020, 10:52:45 AM »
I’ve been happy with my theeve’s but out of boredom I set up some 148 thunders that I’ve had chilling collecting dust for awhile. I have bones hard bottoms and an Ace top bushing, no washers. 8.25” board. I had a bad time on the 161’s early in the season, but these being smaller Thunders with a short wheelbase they skated the indoor bowl really nice. Nice n carvy, no wheelbite. Think I may keep skating these for awhile and see how it goes. I like Thunders, they’re a solid truck. That’s two brand replacements over Ace that I’m happy with now, no QC to worry about.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7810 on: February 16, 2020, 11:31:05 AM »
I’ve been happy with my theeve’s but out of boredom I set up some 148 thunders that I’ve had chilling collecting dust for awhile. I have bones hard bottoms and an Ace top bushing, no washers. 8.25” board. I had a bad time on the 161’s early in the season, but these being smaller Thunders with a short wheelbase they skated the indoor bowl really nice. Nice n carvy, no wheelbite. Think I may keep skating these for awhile and see how it goes. I like Thunders, they’re a solid truck. That’s two brand replacements over Ace that I’m happy with now, no QC to worry about.
what size wheel are you running?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #7811 on: February 16, 2020, 02:55:17 PM »

Tensors next! ;)

Diocletian

« Reply #7812 on: February 17, 2020, 07:52:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Tensors next! ;)

I have to get over the look of them. Took me some time with Theeve’s as well lol.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #7813 on: February 17, 2020, 09:59:15 PM »
Have any of you guys gone through this??

So lately I’ve been riding my cruiser with indys and they’re on a welcome 8”

I’ve found that I ride 8’s preferably and I’ve also noticed I’ve gotten so use to the indys I prefer them now and or trucks like them(ace, Royal, mini logo) that have a shorter wheelbase

I tried riding my venture and thunders and they just didn’t do it for me, all on the same krooked deck 8.06

I like the lower center of gravity with the thunders but the shorter wheelbase of the Indy and ace give me more comfortable turning and easier pop

I use to swear by thunders but idk, had a rough time with them lately compared to the indys

Easily got my tre’s down with the indys and ace but the thunders just want to float longer

So basically, anyone go from the leader in control to ride the best?

How are the atg by the way? I’m too lazy to search and want some updated reviews
yes

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7814 on: February 17, 2020, 10:26:23 PM »

Did something similar today. Last week setup a Christmas deck from the homies and decided to toss my 148s w/ riptides on it. Got tired of the wheelbite, remembered that I have some spare Thunder Hard bushings, so I swapped the bottoms. Much better regarding wheel bite, but still need to wear in the hards to get them to turn a little better.

This will be as far as I go in terms of messing with bushings though. I don't want to get plagued with even more madness. That being said, I will always toss Riptides into whatever trucking I'm using. Made my Ventures turn soooo nice.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7815 on: February 18, 2020, 02:57:49 AM »

I’ve found that I ride 8’s preferably and I’ve also noticed I’ve gotten so use to the indys I prefer them now and or trucks like them(ace, Royal, mini logo) that have a shorter wheelbase

I tried riding my venture and thunders and they just didn’t do it for me, all on the same krooked deck 8.06

I like the lower center of gravity with the thunders but the shorter wheelbase of the Indy and ace give me more comfortable turning and easier pop

I use to swear by thunders but idk, had a rough time with them lately compared to the indys

Easily got my tre’s down with the indys and ace but the thunders just want to float longer

How are the atg by the way? I’m too lazy to search and want some updated reviews
ATG are awesome, love them. Only downside for me regarding then is that the metal doesn't last that much. You get a groove in no time.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7816 on: February 18, 2020, 06:01:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
ATG are awesome, love them. Only downside for me regarding then is that the metal doesn't last that much. You get a groove in no time.

Had to swap out the bushings to some used bones as it's winter in Scotland and I can lose what few sessions I'm gonna get breaking them in.
8.25 equivalents skate like an ever so slightly lazier version of my Thunder 149 forged with a 1/8 riser. Grind nice, still get a little bite on 54 radial slims but nowhere near Thunder levels. Longer baseplate helps slides and not noticed too much difference in pop but I changed boards too. Getting used to the lack of kingpin clearance as I had Krux DLs in the thunders but might try swapping them out soon.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #7817 on: February 18, 2020, 07:43:32 AM »

I like Indy until I try to sit on a crooked grind and I get no pinch/lack of response for the pop out. For that, Thunder will always be my jam. Also I find the light/forged Thunder great for pretty much all flip tricks including 360 flips because they're lofty enough for the wheelbase to not ruin it for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7818 on: February 18, 2020, 12:27:30 PM »
ATGs:

Mag lites are stupid light. They grind amazing and don't wear down as fast as people would have you believe. Yes, it will grind down faster than standard aluminum but mainly because you are grinding fucking everything :P Your will see gainz in your slappy game.

They feel like thunders but with more carve/less twitch, push out the WB like a Thunder. They are also taller than Thunders so less wheelbite. Normal baseplate so you won't be rubbing your wheels. They fit somewhere between a Thunder and an Indy. Really responsive trucks.

Stock top washer WILL bind, remove it or swap for a bones washer if you stay with stock bushings.

Stock bushings are 90a but feel harder; I swapped them for Bones mediums (no washers) and the turn is much better. Didn't notice the lack of the tensor top washer with the 'interlocking' design at all. Bones always snap back to center.

FWIW, I use the black bones bushings as I find them to be a tad bit softer than the white ones.

I just picked up a set of 8" ATG mags to drop down in size (Been riding 8.25" ATGs) (I was fighting trying to like Ventures but kept coming back to the ATGs; DM me if anyone is interested in some 5.6 Hollows, stock).

Did I mentioned how crazy light they are? How responsive?

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 611
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #7819 on: February 18, 2020, 12:47:07 PM »

I went from years on Thunder's to Indy's like 4 years ago. It took a bit to get used to the Indy feel but I don't miss Thunder's. I broke Thunder kingpins like crazy, sometimes both in a week. Haven't broken anything on my Indy's.

Went from Thunder Hi 147s (Team Edition) to Indy Hollow 139s (Koston Stage 10.5). Are they even the same height?

Edit: I think the Thunder's are 50 mm and the Indy's are 53.5 mm in height. Can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:09:43 PM by fs1/2cab »
IG: @flowterspace

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7820 on: February 18, 2020, 06:15:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I like Indy until I try to sit on a crooked grind and I get no pinch/lack of response for the pop out. For that, Thunder will always be my jam. Also I find the light/forged Thunder great for pretty much all flip tricks including 360 flips because they're lofty enough for the wheelbase to not ruin it for me.

Yeah, getting the same pinch experience with Indys, been flopping out of my crooks recently instead of having a sweet pull out.

ATGs:

Mag lites are stupid light. They grind amazing and don't wear down as fast as people would have you believe. Yes, it will grind down faster than standard aluminum but mainly because you are grinding fucking everything :P Your will see gainz in your slappy game.

They feel like thunders but with more carve/less twitch, push out the WB like a Thunder. They are also taller than Thunders so less wheelbite. Normal baseplate so you won't be rubbing your wheels. They fit somewhere between a Thunder and an Indy. Really responsive trucks.

Stock top washer WILL bind, remove it or swap for a bones washer if you stay with stock bushings.

Stock bushings are 90a but feel harder; I swapped them for Bones mediums (no washers) and the turn is much better. Didn't notice the lack of the tensor top washer with the 'interlocking' design at all. Bones always snap back to center.

FWIW, I use the black bones bushings as I find them to be a tad bit softer than the white ones.

I just picked up a set of 8" ATG mags to drop down in size (Been riding 8.25" ATGs) (I was fighting trying to like Ventures but kept coming back to the ATGs; DM me if anyone is interested in some 5.6 Hollows, stock).

I'm saving my Tensors for a 14.25WB deck I have on ice, hoping the slight bump in WB will hit that 17.3"-ish axle to axle I'm dreaming of.

I'll hit you up separately on the Ventures.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

darkelfdruid

« Reply #7821 on: February 18, 2020, 06:29:34 PM »
ATGs:

I stopped halfway through this and felt grateful

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #7822 on: February 18, 2020, 07:16:45 PM »
Expand Quote
ATGs:

[close]
I stopped halfway through this and felt grateful
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #7823 on: February 19, 2020, 08:08:09 AM »
Cool cool, thanks for all the feedback guys

Then my investment in some atg was worth it

Right now I’m in between sticking to my:

Indy forged hollow(cause they’re light and I have them in 139)

Moving back into my snappy ace, either 03 or 44(can’t figure out if I like the lower center of gravity with sharp carvy turns or stable nimble quick deep turns)

Hoping these tensor atg are a breathe of fresh air

Or gonna just let it be and settle for the under dog of under dogs trucks from skate one, mini logos(they just work, they’re probably basically a low atg)
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7824 on: February 19, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

Then my investment in some atg was is worth it

tensor atg are a breathe of fresh air

mini logos(they just work, they’re probably basically a low atg Indy/Theeve/ACE)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #7825 on: February 20, 2020, 02:20:03 AM »
Expand Quote

mini logos(they just work, they’re probably basically a low atg Indy/Theeve/ACE)
[close]

Haha yeah my grammar skills suck like my skating

Sk8 or die
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7826 on: February 20, 2020, 09:02:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Haha yeah my grammar skills suck like my skating

Sk8 or die

You and me both ;)

Diocletian

« Reply #7827 on: February 21, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »
I just set up some 148 thunder titanium lights last night. Aside from the mag tensors, and those expensive TiH Theeve’s... these gotta be as light as it gets for a truck that isn’t too tiny. Can’t skate till the weekend but I have a feeling my madness will continue beyond Theeve and wanna stick with some ultra-light trucks like these.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1930
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7828 on: February 21, 2020, 08:21:06 AM »
I just set up some 148 thunder titanium lights last night. Aside from the mag tensors, and those expensive TiH Theeve’s... these gotta be as light as it gets for a truck that isn’t too tiny. Can’t skate till the weekend but I have a feeling my madness will continue beyond Theeve and wanna stick with some ultra-light trucks like these.

Love the 148 Titanium, I try to set them up every chance I get. Plus they only stretch WB by 3.15", roughly similar to a Tensor Maglight or cast plate Thunder.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Diocletian

« Reply #7829 on: February 21, 2020, 09:00:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Love the 148 Titanium, I try to set them up every chance I get. Plus they only stretch WB by 3.15", roughly similar to a Tensor Maglight or cast plate Thunder.

I find the WB stretch isn’t that bad as long as you’re on smaller boards, so 149’s and below. 151-161 and you’re on longer wheelbases and I find thunders aren’t good at all in terms of turning.