Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232506 times)

jimgrude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 67
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #7980 on: March 15, 2020, 07:02:16 PM »
Does anyone know when the new Indy mids are coming out and what the height of those are?
You'll probably hear about it on this thread as soon as anyone knows.

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7981 on: March 16, 2020, 06:04:36 AM »
Anybody ran the Krux pins in forged Thunder plates? If so, how’d you remove the original kingpin, Heat it up in the oven and pound it out?

Yes, it was a nightmare. Heated the thing in oven, applied blowtorch to kingpin, hit with a 2lb mini sledge.
If you do heat it make sure the surface you are hitting it on is smooth and apply force on the level, I bent the base plate but had seen enough episodes of "Forged in Fire" to straighten it.
Another top tip is to have the nut on the top of the pin when hammering out, I was hitting the pin directly and rolled it over that I had to take a grinder to remove the lip and get it out.
It was all a lot of fun.
Next thing is the nut sits proud in the forged base so you either grind a corner of the nut or use 1/8 risers.
Happy trails.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #7982 on: March 17, 2020, 06:37:33 AM »
The kingpin broke on my Thunders, and I cant seem to get the bolt out from the base. I'm a pretty handy guy, so it doesnt make any sens to me. Tried with hammer (A very big one), heating it up etc, and it hasent moved a milimeter... Is this normal? New policy to make u buy new trucks?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #7983 on: March 17, 2020, 06:42:07 AM »
The kingpin broke on my Thunders, and I cant seem to get the bolt out from the base. I'm a pretty handy guy, so it doesnt make any sens to me. Tried with hammer (A very big one), heating it up etc, and it hasent moved a milimeter... Is this normal? New policy to make u buy new trucks?
Kingpin changes are the worst and I do kinda feel like they were not so hard when I was younger. It was such a hassle changing my kingpin in my tensors I literally just bought a new pair of trucks

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #7984 on: March 17, 2020, 06:52:59 AM »

Thunders are the hardest kingpin removal. I had one that had slightly rotated when being pressed in and it took all my gumption to get that out. I also made a small gig from a spark plug socket piece and the remain of the previous pin to keep things in line getting the broken one out. Make sure you are on a hard surface so the impact is going to the pin and not reverbing out. Stick to it, get a bigger hammer.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #7985 on: March 17, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Anybody ran the Krux pins in forged Thunder plates? If so, how’d you remove the original kingpin, Heat it up in the oven and pound it out?
[close]

Yes, it was a nightmare. Heated the thing in oven, applied blowtorch to kingpin, hit with a 2lb mini sledge.
If you do heat it make sure the surface you are hitting it on is smooth and apply force on the level, I bent the base plate but had seen enough episodes of "Forged in Fire" to straighten it.
Another top tip is to have the nut on the top of the pin when hammering out, I was hitting the pin directly and rolled it over that I had to take a grinder to remove the lip and get it out.
It was all a lot of fun.
Next thing is the nut sits proud in the forged base so you either grind a corner of the nut or use 1/8 risers.
Happy trails.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll settle for the cast plates then

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7986 on: March 17, 2020, 08:16:24 AM »
anyone ever used 5.8 ventures on 8.1s? Is it crazy? Wanting a size down but don' want to shell out for new trucks just yet.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7987 on: March 17, 2020, 08:25:19 AM »
anyone ever used 5.8 ventures on 8.1s? Is it crazy? Wanting a size down but don' want to shell out for new trucks just yet.

I'm riding an 8.25 with 5.8 Bobby Worrest Ventures. Pretty manageable, definitely feel stable on turns and grinds, extra hanger real estate is nice. The board did have noticeably more heft, added weight slowed flips down a little and my shins caught the hanger a couple of times during the session.

I bought the 5.8 with a forged plate and swapped it out with a cast plate I had from another pair of trucks.

Overall do-able but not the best experience for me after coming up from an 8" with Venture 5.2 Lo V-Hollow. 5.2 on the 8.25 felt to squirrelly, 5.6 would be the best fit. 5.8 would work if you're on a budget.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #7988 on: March 17, 2020, 06:56:09 PM »
My buddy skates 8.25 with 149s, and he has skated my spare 8.125 on his trucks plenty of times and skated exactly as good as he always does. For just trying out you'll be fine for sure.

usedtostillskate

• Rep: -1
« Reply #7989 on: March 17, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Kingpin changes are the worst and I do kinda feel like they were not so hard when I was younger. It was such a hassle changing my kingpin in my tensors I literally just bought a new pair of trucks
It took me two tries to get the kingpin out of my tensor mag lights but the second time it wasn't too bad. I just sat it on a 2 x 4 and pounded not super hard for a few minutes with a hammer and it worked. I had more difficulty figuring out the washer/bushing/tightness combo to get it close to stock turning which I enjoy in the atgs. I ended up with a bones medium top bushing for the bottom, stock on top and all washers and having it pretty loose. Not too loose though. If you barely leave the nut on with the krux kingpin it'll come off.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #7990 on: March 17, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
I usually skate 8.25 with 149s. feels good, shapes that taper over the tail hot dog a little bit though.

when was the last change to thunders? I found a pair of thunder 149s from probably 2013 when they were still stamped USA but I think after when they were thunder 149ers and really low.

have they been changed since? put them on and have been feeling them and on a dlx kick lately, might cop another pair if they've changed significantly but if not I'll just run them down.
really been loving my ventures too, the purple bushings Xen sent me really got them right, whites were too loose, greens were too hard. I know they're listed as the same Duro but they felt so different.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #7991 on: March 17, 2020, 08:19:58 PM »
How are people finding Ventures for transition and slappies? Obviously not what they’re specifically built for but I’m curious

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #7992 on: March 17, 2020, 08:24:43 PM »
Why are they not built for transition or slappies? Drehobl, Wade and Cardiel all rode them....

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7993 on: March 17, 2020, 09:50:24 PM »
How are people finding Ventures for transition and slappies? Obviously not what they’re specifically built for but I’m curious
Just skated a brand new pair of 5.6’s on a never skated curb tonight and it was perfectly fine once I got the curb broken in

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #7994 on: March 17, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »
I just screw baseplates into spare 2 x 4 pieces using sheetrock screws and it rarely takes me more than a few wacks of the 4 lb hammer to extract a kingpin.

Weezil

« Reply #7995 on: March 17, 2020, 09:57:29 PM »
They work fine for slappies. Not sure about tranny tho.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7996 on: March 18, 2020, 05:32:39 AM »
Maybe I’m crazy, but I feel like the 5.6 cast ventures push the wheelbase out more than a 5.2 I need to measure but it felt a little longer. Might switch the plates too since not much is going on

edit- just remembered I marked my deck where the center of axle was and the 825 truck Deff has a wider wheelbase. Going to see if it’s a baseplate issue or how the hangar is
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:00:23 AM by Esmith5488 »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7997 on: March 18, 2020, 08:03:04 AM »
Maybe I’m crazy, but I feel like the 5.6 cast ventures push the wheelbase out more than a 5.2 I need to measure but it felt a little longer. Might switch the plates too since not much is going on

edit- just remembered I marked my deck where the center of axle was and the 825 truck Deff has a wider wheelbase. Going to see if it’s a baseplate issue or how the hangar is

Gonna need some figures on that champ; understanding was that cast added 3.25", forge added 3.4-3.5"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7998 on: March 18, 2020, 08:59:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Gonna need some figures on that champ; understanding was that cast added 3.25", forge added 3.4-3.5"
Deff being too picky, I got a super slight difference. I think I just have too much time on my hands this morning. Ignore me

sketchyrider

« Reply #7999 on: March 18, 2020, 09:25:33 AM »
do all companies increase the WB with their forged baseplates?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8000 on: March 18, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »
do all companies increase the WB with their forged baseplates?
To my knowledge yes

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8001 on: March 18, 2020, 09:44:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Deff being too picky, I got a super slight difference. I think I just have too much time on my hands this morning. Ignore me

The 0.01" is what we live for
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8002 on: March 18, 2020, 09:47:04 AM »

This could be the source of error. You should just measure axle to axle with the trucks on and use the avg of that number.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8003 on: March 18, 2020, 10:47:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This could be the source of error. You should just measure axle to axle with the trucks on and use the avg of that number.

Ended up doing that and I basically just proved to myself that I’m a kook and was thinking too much into it. I long for the times when I could skate any deck and any truck and it wouldn’t matter.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8004 on: March 18, 2020, 06:09:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ended up doing that and I basically just proved to myself that I’m a kook and was thinking too much into it. I long for the times when I could skate any deck and any truck and it wouldn’t matter.

innocence lost my friend, and I hate all of you guys for fueling the madness.

(JK you guys rock)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8005 on: March 18, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
They work fine for slappies. Not sure about tranny tho.

shit works fine.

From freestyle to fricking mega ramp the venture does it all.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #8006 on: March 20, 2020, 03:46:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Did the same on some Indys. Those splined pins are such a bitch to put in I just bought new plates and saved myself the hassle.

Hex pins like we always knew were so much better in terms or repair. Can’t it all be so simple?

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8007 on: March 20, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
Is the axle thread 5/16" on Indy and Thunder?
I gotta buy some new bolts, bcuz the threads are too worn to be safe.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8008 on: March 20, 2020, 01:24:24 PM »
are you talking about axle nuts??
🤙

legion

« Reply #8009 on: March 20, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »
Is the axle thread 5/16" on Indy and Thunder?
I gotta buy some new bolts, bcuz the threads are too worn to be safe.
Yeah. 5/16-24. 24 TPI, threads per inch..