Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230859 times)

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8040 on: March 26, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
Same af^ also helps that I love kader, yuto, & worrest. I had to rep my dudes

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #8041 on: March 26, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
How do you guys minimize the height of bottom bushings?

I just sanded mine down with some spare griptape.
Took forever tho ^^
IG: @flowterspace

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8042 on: March 26, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
i use a sanding drum in a drill press or my bench sander
🤙

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #8043 on: March 26, 2020, 01:01:48 PM »

Took forever tho ^^

I haven’t done bottom bushings but for top bushings I take the top washer off, then tighten the kingpin nut just enough where the bushing is held in place on the king pin. Then I press the blade of a sharp pocket knife into the bushing, turn the bushing, press, turn, etc...until the right amount is either scored or cut through. If it isn’t cut all the way through then I take the bushing out and finish cutting through with the knife, which is pretty easy because it’s already deeply scored. Then I rub the rough edge of the bushing on the grip tape of an old board until it’s flush and not all raggedy looking. Doesn’t take very long to do it this way and it takes no power tools, if you don’t have them or if you are doing it late at night and trying not to wake the household.

I imagine this would work the same way for bottom bushings.

Otherwise, I just buy smaller bushings

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8044 on: March 26, 2020, 01:06:10 PM »
Expand Quote

Took forever tho ^^
[close]

I haven’t done bottom bushings but for top bushings I take the top washer off, then tighten the kingpin nut just enough where the bushing is held in place on the king pin. Then I press the blade of a sharp pocket knife into the bushing, turn the bushing, press, turn, etc...until the right amount is either scored or cut through. If it isn’t cut all the way through then I take the bushing out and finish cutting through with the knife, which is pretty easy because it’s already deeply scored. Then I rub the rough edge of the bushing on the grip tape of an old board until it’s flush and not all raggedy looking. Doesn’t take very long to do it this way and it takes no power tools, if you don’t have them or if you are doing it late at night and trying not to wake the household.

Damn that is genius. Will try it next time.
I cut a good part of my kingpins off and new indy conical bushings didn't fit. So I just went for a little cruise, my bottom bushings are way to low now, my trucks are Matt Rodriguez loose. I put new bottoms in and sand down the top bushings. Note to myself, don't fuck with bottom bushings.
When did you guys realize that you got truck madness? ^^
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:27:21 PM by fs1/2cab »

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8045 on: March 26, 2020, 01:39:53 PM »
i want to buy a taller longboard size cone to run on the bottom with no washer. anyone done this? seems like you'd get more turn without having to shave your bushings or run rattling trucks

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8046 on: March 26, 2020, 01:53:44 PM »
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in years: I tightened up my trucks (Venture Hi's) a bit and holy shit, it was like activating a cheat code.  I went from having them as loose as possible (for Ventures) and brought them to about medium/almost medium-tight.

For a long time i rode my trucks very loose and enjoyed the feeling, but noticed I was losing tricks, so I just chalked it up to getting older, having destroyed ankles, and not skating as much.

Bullshit, I landed tricks I haven't done in years last night and popped higher than I've popped in a long time. I'm going to stay like this from now on, I skate better this way and the feeling is comfortable. They turn well enough that I barely notice it and my manual balance is as good as it's ever been.

i would get speed wobble and die on a tight truck board. I have no idea why people think its backwards
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8047 on: March 26, 2020, 02:04:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Yesterday I did something I haven't done in years: I tightened up my trucks (Venture Hi's) a bit and holy shit, it was like activating a cheat code.  I went from having them as loose as possible (for Ventures) and brought them to about medium/almost medium-tight.

For a long time i rode my trucks very loose and enjoyed the feeling, but noticed I was losing tricks, so I just chalked it up to getting older, having destroyed ankles, and not skating as much.

Bullshit, I landed tricks I haven't done in years last night and popped higher than I've popped in a long time. I'm going to stay like this from now on, I skate better this way and the feeling is comfortable. They turn well enough that I barely notice it and my manual balance is as good as it's ever been.
[close]

i would get speed wobble and die on a tight truck board. I have no idea why people think its backwards

Do you even baum tho

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #8048 on: March 26, 2020, 02:33:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Took forever tho ^^
[close]

[close]

I cut a good part of my kingpins off and new indy conical bushings didn't fit. So I just went for a little cruise, my bottom bushings are way to low now, my trucks are Matt Rodriguez loose. I put new bottoms in and sand down the top bushings. Note to myself, don't fuck with bottom bushings.

Thanks! Please let me know if you figure out any ways to make that easier!

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8049 on: March 26, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Do you even baum tho

tiger style. Ill baum any hill on planet earth for weed
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8050 on: March 26, 2020, 06:48:03 PM »
You got me with the stability. As soon things get little less crazy I'll get some.
Is kinda hard to find them here but I saw some Worrest ones on my size

https://www.zumiez.com/venture-worrest-awake-polished-5-8-skateboard-truck.html

$30 for the pair

You guys are right about Venture stability - they don't turn as carvy as Indys or Thunders but you can't beat the grind feel on Ventures. Stable for flat ground and of course that pinch especially with the Low version of trucks.

The metal on Ventures is harder so I find the grind feel more pleasant - you can feel the metal on metal grind. Tensors are incredibly light and the metal is very soft, I can feel the ledge cutting into my truck doing more forceful grinds (crooked grinds). I can feel a pretty deep gash on my my front truck after 4 sessions at my local park.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #8051 on: March 26, 2020, 07:11:58 PM »
Expand Quote
You got me with the stability. As soon things get little less crazy I'll get some.
[close]

$30 for the pair

You guys are right about Venture stability - they don't turn as carvy as Indys or Thunders but you can't beat the grind feel on Ventures. Stable for flat ground and of course that pinch especially with the Low version of trucks.

The metal on Ventures is harder so I find the grind feel more pleasant - you can feel the metal on metal grind. Tensors are incredibly light and the metal is very soft, I can feel the ledge cutting into my truck doing more forceful grinds (crooked grinds). I can feel a pretty deep gash on my my front truck after 4 sessions at my local park.

While I loved how my crook groove looked on the tensors I hated that I got it in two sessions

Juanjo789

« Reply #8052 on: March 26, 2020, 07:26:21 PM »
so i skated a very mellow 8.5 deck with 14.75 wheelbase and loved the pop feel with aces, its hard to find that wheelbase where im from , will 14.5 feel too different? is there a way to replicate that feeling without changing my trucks?

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8053 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

$30 for the pair

Thanks for the link but in not from the US, found the same ones but with red baseplate.
Still not sure about those or Thunders :/
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8054 on: March 26, 2020, 08:43:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

$30 for the pair

[close]

While I loved how my crook groove looked on the tensors I hated that I got it in two sessions

It looks gnarly but I find myself sticking more frequently and the grind unpredictable - sometimes I'll glide right through like a hot knife through butter, other times I'll grind smooth and it will slow down and stick midway. I got some marble ledges near my home, I'll try the Tensors there this weekend.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8055 on: March 27, 2020, 05:32:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Took forever tho ^^
[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks! Please let me know if you figure out any ways to make that easier!

I made some noise and annoyed my neighbor but I am stoked how my trucks ride now. Feels very smooth. I don't know the english name of the tool I used.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #8056 on: March 27, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »
I got a good and satisfying challenge for my bored and mad brain today.

had some trouble with my ace 66, pivot cup got shredded and the kingpin is so loose , the bushings were flopping around, so I had to come up with some bushings that I need to tighten harder and still have a loose, smooth turn.
Bones top and bottom with ace top washer on the bottom and bones and Indy washers on the top.
Works perfectly
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:14:07 AM by jtrpma »

PMA

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8057 on: March 28, 2020, 12:25:40 PM »
Bought some Thunder bushings, 95A, medium. Holy smokes they are hard.
I'm 190lbs, and with the nut flush with the kingpin, they are super stiff...

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8058 on: March 28, 2020, 01:06:13 PM »
Got back on the aces today.

Yeah I thought I had the ventures highs turning like the ace but no.

I just basically got use to it by bending it to my will.

I apologize to anyone who believed me when I said I got a venture as loose as my aces.

I was wrong
(A)pl(E)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8059 on: March 28, 2020, 04:02:36 PM »
pals on thunders (forged preferably, but cast is fine too) what is the biggest mm wheel you will run without risers?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8060 on: March 28, 2020, 04:13:25 PM »
pals on thunders (forged preferably, but cast is fine too) what is the biggest mm wheel you will run without risers?

That depends. What size thunders were you planning on buying?

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8061 on: March 28, 2020, 04:36:07 PM »

I run 54mm on 148 and about medium looseness, no problems at all.

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #8062 on: March 28, 2020, 05:29:06 PM »
Got back on the aces today.

Yeah I thought I had the ventures highs turning like the ace but no.

I just basically got use to it by bending it to my will.

I apologize to anyone who believed me when I said I got a venture as loose as my aces.

I was wrong

did not believe it, but respect. gotta take people’s anecdotes with a grain of salt in madness threads. perception is a bitch.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8063 on: March 28, 2020, 07:35:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That depends. What size thunders were you planning on buying?
i own two pairs of forged thunders
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8064 on: March 28, 2020, 07:36:37 PM »

151 regular baseplates. I need risers for pretty much any size wheel but I ride loose.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8065 on: March 28, 2020, 08:32:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

151 regular baseplates. I need risers for pretty much any size wheel but I ride loose.
im on 151 forged, almost rattly loose in the front. think im gonna have to make wheel wells to ride 54s or just avoid them altogether.

Quique

• Rep: 52
« Reply #8066 on: March 28, 2020, 11:24:18 PM »
I have an 8.6 deck,151 lights with radial slims 51mm, I ended up putting risers. But now I can go up to 55 lockins no problem.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8067 on: March 29, 2020, 03:45:39 AM »
I have an 8.6 deck,151 lights with radial slims 51mm, I ended up putting risers. But now I can go up to 55 lockins no problem.
havent been feeling risers lately, i like the lower feeling but dont want to have to buy new wheels every minute. might just have to ride the 53s and if i die i die

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8068 on: March 29, 2020, 09:52:11 AM »
I did a little test. iPhone has a built in leveler. So I measured my boards angle at the bolts with the tail pressed down.
Result? Both had 31 degree angle. Which confirms my suspicion that the difference in height, will actually make them equal in angle. In theory, these trucks should have equal pop feel, in terms of angle. But ofc, indys are heavier.
And there might be some production variance.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 11:03:11 AM by Vintagebody »

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #8069 on: March 29, 2020, 10:43:36 AM »
Did you really think different trucks make your board change shape? Good going there buddy, glad you could confirm it didn't.