Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231280 times)

moonordie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8100 on: April 03, 2020, 05:40:04 AM »
Someone help me justify my madness. I've had 3 sets of venture 5.25 highs back to back over the last 2 years and currently skating 5.25 lows. I like the lows, but find myself wanting the slightest bit more carve and loose feel. I love the stability and response being lower height but the pull to thunder is strong. I already ordered 147s standards but feel dirty like I'm cheating on venture. I feel like its the best embodiment of what I like about the ventures being it is still very low but a bit more turn and carve. I haven't had thunders in 10 years.
Why you don't just put softer bushings?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8101 on: April 03, 2020, 06:16:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Someone help me justify my madness. I've had 3 sets of venture 5.25 highs back to back over the last 2 years and currently skating 5.25 lows. I like the lows, but find myself wanting the slightest bit more carve and loose feel. I love the stability and response being lower height but the pull to thunder is strong. I already ordered 147s standards but feel dirty like I'm cheating on venture. I feel like its the best embodiment of what I like about the ventures being it is still very low but a bit more turn and carve. I haven't had thunders in 10 years.
[close]
It's more to do with ventures geometry. They just turn slower in general. Not bad but just different.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8102 on: April 03, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
I'm sure this has been addressed on here before, but has anyone spent much time with 8.75" trucks on an 8.25" board? After years of being against anything close to a hotrod, I have come around to the idea. Currently running 149s on an 8.25" but I have a set of 159s I've been thinking of trying.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8103 on: April 03, 2020, 01:28:13 PM »
I'm sure this has been addressed on here before, but has anyone spent much time with 8.75" trucks on an 8.25" board? After years of being against anything close to a hotrod, I have come around to the idea. Currently running 149s on an 8.25" but I have a set of 159s I've been thinking of trying.
Hewitt's been rockin 159's on an 8.375"
Wider trucks than deck usually bugs me but I have 159's and a 8.625" than I'm gonna setup soon

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8104 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think you made the right choice to switch.

Weezil

« Reply #8105 on: April 03, 2020, 11:02:17 PM »
I recently set up a DOA 8.25 square shape and wanted to see how 159 forged hollows would fit with 52 conicals fulls, standing on it looking down you could just barely see the axle nuts, but it definitely stuck out having the board on its side. it felt nice and light and wasn't too hot Roddy but in the end I opted for smaller trucks, though now 149s look a little small on it so idk what to believe anymore, almost wanna see how it looks with classics but don't really wanna take the trucks off again.

sketchyrider

« Reply #8106 on: April 04, 2020, 07:01:15 AM »

long ago i set up an 8.0 on indy 149's, i could skate it, but people who stepped on it thought it was weird, i was pretty much exclusively riding mini ramps and transition at the time. i wouldn't recommend it but i doubt that would stop you lol.

personally i keep the trucks and deck within an 8th of an inch of each other either way.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8107 on: April 04, 2020, 09:24:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

long ago i set up an 8.0 on indy 149's, i could skate it, but people who stepped on it thought it was weird, i was pretty much exclusively riding mini ramps and transition at the time. i wouldn't recommend it but i doubt that would stop you lol.

personally i keep the trucks and deck within an 8th of an inch of each other either way.

I set up an 8.25 Chico (regular shape) with 159s 4 ish years ago. I was in a major struggle, switching set ups every time out. I actually had a great time on it. My skating has always revolves around flat ground, so it’s really about how a setup flips etc, for me. Indy’s, with a 14” wb, on a bigger board (8.25 is a vert board) worked well for me. All straight flip tricks felt rad. Tre’s and such did not feel rad. and heavy setups wear on my dusty joints. Anyways, it was way more fun than 8.25, with 149s, for me. Blah blah. 3flips really unfurled in an odd way. Couldn’t get it to work. I was like jumping after it. Switch heel felt perfect. Anyways, try it, it’ll be fun for some shit, and shit for some other stuff.

Weezil

« Reply #8108 on: April 04, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »
super bored because of this quarantine so I ended up putting those FH 159s back on that 8.25 DOA square shape today, paired it with some old 53 f4 classics.

really amazing, popped the highest kickflip today in a long time just dorking around in front of my house. the board measures around 8.4 but tapers to 8.25 right above the bolts so while it doesn't really stand on its side I don't notice any overhang or anything like that. kinda stoked on this setup, though I'll probably go up to 8.5 if I stick with these trucks.
also I always read that slappies feel best with big ass trucks but I'm having trouble, also was having trouble with 144s too so maybe I just have to adjust or something. loving the extra room but anything bigger or smaller than 149s kinda throws me off.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8109 on: April 04, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »
anyone running an 8.5 deck on 8.25 trucks?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #8110 on: April 04, 2020, 06:01:03 PM »

Been running 8.5 Polars with 144 in front and 149 in the back.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8111 on: April 04, 2020, 08:54:39 PM »
Yowza. 😬

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8112 on: April 04, 2020, 11:14:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

what is it like :o
do you always have to run the board in one direction?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8113 on: April 05, 2020, 06:12:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Sounds awful, now somebody will come with "I skate 50mm on the front and 56 on the back"

Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #8114 on: April 05, 2020, 06:42:38 AM »
Truck madness indeed.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8115 on: April 05, 2020, 08:35:20 AM »

usually yes or an 8.38 truck .

I've always gone more wood than axle or exactly the same.

Having more truck hurts flip speed

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8116 on: April 05, 2020, 08:50:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

stop that.

skatefresh

« Reply #8117 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
Anyone whos skated both thunder 147s and venture 5.25 low or highs. Any feedback as to what you preferred and liked better about each?

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #8118 on: April 05, 2020, 09:39:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]
Sounds awful, now somebody will come with "I skate 50mm on the front and 56 on the back"

lmao I knew thatd rile up some feathers. But nah it goes both ways fine, I pop fakie tricks off my tail, nollie off the nose, all is good.

Is there even a difference in geometry aside from the hanger?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8119 on: April 05, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
Anyone whos skated both thunder 147s and venture 5.25 low or highs. Any feedback as to what you preferred and liked better about each?

Have both, skate both, like both. Prefer venture.

Thunders are lighter, quicker turn, slightly taller. When most people sized up their setups from sub 8” and 5.0 lo’s, I noticed that some pros were switching to the 147s (kalis, wade etc). I think thunders are sick. I do stick on ledges more often, and had a scary face plant on a regular noseslide. I’ve also done my best ledge tricks on thunders. I wheelbite at least as much on thunders, even tho they are taller.

Ventures ‘feel’ right. Look cooler. I like the pop. The lo height, with cast plate feels awesome. There is a skrong nostalgic pull for me. I normally don’t like bones bushings, but I do in ventures. I really recommend the bones top washer, that eliminates binding. The venture baseplate doesn’t stick on ledges. I like manuals on ventures way more (although that skill has really evaporated lately).

Neither truck is great with wheels over 52mm. 50mm is prolly better.
Both trucks have a hanger shape that is thin, aesthetically attractive, but bites into hard ledges and is harder to grind, than say a rounder hanger like an Indy.

I wish my thunders were cast, or team hollows.
I have venture 5.2 hi and those are cool too, but they are different, again more like an Indy (I prefer them to Indy, for many reasons). The 147 hi, and 5.2 lo are really close.

My take at least

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8120 on: April 05, 2020, 10:02:54 AM »

Lots of personal preference here but Thunder (in general) feel like a more general use, middle of the road trucks. Pop feel ranges from similar to Indy (cast plates & Titaniums) to a Venture (cast plates), so a medium-ish pop. Definitely lighter than a Indy or Venture of comparable width at roughly the same height of a Venture Lo.

Ventures are more specific use truck since they extend the WB a little (+3.25) to a lot (+3.5), giving a much heavier feeling pop. I feel there are a specific set of boards that ride well with Ventures, specifically longer board with short WB, but that's me with a board sample size of 2.

Grinds - Thunder have a softer metal, but I actually prefer the harder metal of a Venture. My trucks feel like they are biting back against the ledge instead of getting sliced through.

Slides - Ventures hands down thanks to an extended WB. I need all the help I can get on BS Tailslides, having wheels adding grip by rubbing the side of the ledge when rocking Thunders fucks with me.

Height - Venture Lo are my go to for ledge tricks because of the reduced height. I lose a bit of height on my popped tricks but I adjust my pop within the session. The drop in height by a couple of millimeters really help with the pinch and stability on my grinds.

As you can tell I love me some Ventures, I already have 3 pairs and have another 2 more coming within the next 2 weeks. Only problem is the WB extension on the forged plates (+3.5) make them hard to pair on most boards with 14.25" WB, hence I would suggest getting a regular pair of standard Ventures (cheapest you can find) so you can swap out the plates to match the board you're riding. You can even swap out the standard kingpins for hollow ones but I don't have the time or patience to hammer out the old ones.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

skatefresh

« Reply #8121 on: April 05, 2020, 10:23:43 AM »
Dammit. I have 147s coming in but I feel like traitor. I love the shit out of these 5.25 lows but I'm feeling like I could use a bit more of a sharp turn so impulse ordered 147s since theyre only like a mil taller. I blame these damn Kalis clips. Now I'm debating whether I even want to swap them out. Going on a real full se for reference with 52mm f4 classics. Been skating 5.25 lows with lynx and 50mm wheels which is fun but im tired of eating shit on small cracks. Trying to get my setup more well rounded again. I can't get down with true highs anymore. Ghost pop tre flips and rocketed fliptricks galore.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 10:57:31 AM by skatefresh »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8122 on: April 05, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
Hi’s are just tiring. But these days I get tired thinking about putting my shoes on so I’m not a good judge.

147s are cool, I didn’t feel like I got less wheelbite with em tho. Maybe wrong, but the angle thunders turn at goes to wheelbite, quickly.

I need pop, so I should use a taller set up, but....

Kakis, Wade, Enrique, and it looked like JB was riding some thunders too....many of my fave skaters have ridden thunders. They are cool, you’ll like em.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8123 on: April 05, 2020, 01:23:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I set up an 8.25 Chico (regular shape) with 159s 4 ish years ago. I was in a major struggle, switching set ups every time out. I actually had a great time on it. My skating has always revolves around flat ground, so it’s really about how a setup flips etc, for me. Indy’s, with a 14” wb, on a bigger board (8.25 is a vert board) worked well for me. All straight flip tricks felt rad. Tre’s and such did not feel rad. and heavy setups wear on my dusty joints. Anyways, it was way more fun than 8.25, with 149s, for me. Blah blah. 3flips really unfurled in an odd way. Couldn’t get it to work. I was like jumping after it. Switch heel felt perfect. Anyways, try it, it’ll be fun for some shit, and shit for some other stuff.
super bored because of this quarantine so I ended up putting those FH 159s back on that 8.25 DOA square shape today, paired it with some old 53 f4 classics.

really amazing, popped the highest kickflip today in a long time just dorking around in front of my house. the board measures around 8.4 but tapers to 8.25 right above the bolts so while it doesn't really stand on its side I don't notice any overhang or anything like that. kinda stoked on this setup, though I'll probably go up to 8.5 if I stick with these trucks.
also I always read that slappies feel best with big ass trucks but I'm having trouble, also was having trouble with 144s too so maybe I just have to adjust or something. loving the extra room but anything bigger or smaller than 149s kinda throws me off.

Set it up with the 159s and some 51mm tablets and I've got to say that I am pretty into it. It took me a few minutes to get used to the pop, but afterwards it felt really stable and my heelflips felt nice and floaty. I was just skating flatground, so we will see about slappys and all that...though I did a little micro-crook on a parking block and it felt very nice.

Honestly, I also just like how it looks because it kind of reminds me of having to skate 136s on 7.5" boards back in the day. You can see in the picture where the wheelbite hits with the 51mm tablets versus the 53mm classics on 149s that I had on before. The axle hotrods a little but the wheels don't.

Anyway, thank you for the input. The rest of the boards in the stack I got from DOA are 8.5"s so I'll probably be sticking with the 159s for a bit.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8124 on: April 05, 2020, 05:35:12 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

I'm over bones after this set. I'm going through more than two top bushings a year. That's never been the case growing up this plastic shit is stupid.

Also who ever tooled this kingpin on drugs
(A)pl(E)

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #8125 on: April 05, 2020, 05:54:32 PM »

I'm over bones after this set. I'm going through more than two top bushings a year. That's never been the case growing up this plastic shit is stupid.

I only have this problem with the black/yellow colored bones. if I get the white/yellow ones they never do that. but shop only had the black/yellow last time.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8126 on: April 05, 2020, 06:43:17 PM »
Dammit. I have 147s coming in but I feel like traitor. I love the shit out of these 5.25 lows but I'm feeling like I could use a bit more of a sharp turn so impulse ordered 147s since theyre only like a mil taller. I blame these damn Kalis clips. Now I'm debating whether I even want to swap them out. Going on a real full se for reference with 52mm f4 classics. Been skating 5.25 lows with lynx and 50mm wheels which is fun but im tired of eating shit on small cracks. Trying to get my setup more well rounded again. I can't get down with true highs anymore. Ghost pop tre flips and rocketed fliptricks galore.

Can't go wrong with either 147 or 5.2 Lo, both are great trucks. The Real Full SE (I assume you are getting the 8.06) has a pretty short length and WB at 31.5" and 14". Don't have a lot of experience with decks that short here is my experience with the few trucks I tried on with a 31.6" and 14" Darkstar deck"

Destructo D2 Mid - +3.125" WB
Board was too squirrley, felt like I was riding a balance board and way too light
Venture 5.25 Lo V-Hollow - 3.4" WB
Board was way too heavy, I was popping 3 feet but my board was only going 2.
Thunder 147 Lights - 3.25" WB
Happy medium, not great but usable though I attribute the shittiness to Darkstar boards more than the trucks.

Really depends on what you like in a setup. I like a heftier feeling pop on my board if not I end up rocketing my ollies. Too light / too short a WB and the board feels too springy, so it can be tough to get the timing of the pop.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8127 on: April 05, 2020, 07:30:15 PM »

Venture 5.2 Lo (cast)

- Turning is decent. Not as sharp as thunder but they still turn. Stock bushings and washer bind with the hangar at full pitch. Bones bushings alleviate that issue, but bones bushings can crack*. Wheel bite was an issue for me and I only skate 50s.
- Grind is great. They just glide. As others have mentioned, the aluminum feels harder and doesn't feel as sticky as thunders on unwaxed angle iron.
- Slides feel great when you get them going. They feel great popping out of slides too. The only issue I found with slides was landing on the corner of the baseplates when trying tail slides. It'll round out eventually but annoying nonetheless.
- Pop is super snappy. The stability really makes up for the lack of turn.

Thunder 147 His (team edition)

- They have a sharper turn compared to ventures. It felt a bit twitchy coming from Venture los, but you get used to it quick. I don't wheelbite as much with thunders. You might need to stack washers to get bones bushings to fit properly.
- Grinds. They feel a bit stickier than ventures for some reason. I have big gashes in my hanger from crooked grinds that I don't have in my ventures. Ventures pinch just slightlyyyyyyy better than thunders.
- They slide. They definitely slide. But...you might need to wax the side of the coping to make prevent the wheels from biting, but it's not a big deal in my opiniion. I don't land on my baseplate as I did with ventures.
- Pop is also super snappy.  Both venture and thunders have similar pop.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8128 on: April 05, 2020, 07:33:55 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I only have this problem with the black/yellow colored bones. if I get the white/yellow ones they never do that. but shop only had the black/yellow last time.

that's a new one. I got the black ones by chance. Looks alright with the purple bottom bushings

I'm going super crush green and sticking with that

Look at that kingpin though looks like they cross threaded it then beveled the top 3 threads off. The other truck kingpin is uncut flat top
(A)pl(E)

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8129 on: April 05, 2020, 07:35:11 PM »
I was gifted, what I believe to be some unground Stage 8 146s today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took out the 20+ year old bushings and  put in some newer  88a Indy barrel bushings and swapped my Ace 44s for them. I had no idea they'd turn so damn well. The harder metal is great also. Compared to my 44s, they are a tad wider (might actually measure 146mm on the money but they seem to have an 8 3/8" hanger like 44s), they are also a little higher and they push the wheelbase out a tiny bit more than Ace but less than Stage 11s. I'd say these turn a lot better than Stage 11s. They are not even that heavy. The only downside is there is not as much kingpin clearance. Pretty stoked though. These will do until an Ace 8.5 comes outs.