Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231725 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8130 on: April 05, 2020, 08:33:35 PM »
I was gifted, what I believe to be some unground Stage 8 146s today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took out the 20+ year old bushings and  put in some newer  88a Indy barrel bushings and swapped my Ace 44s for them. I had no idea they'd turn so damn well. The harder metal is great also. Compared to my 44s, they are a tad wider (might actually measure 146mm on the money but they seem to have an 8 3/8" hanger like 44s), they are also a little higher and they push the wheelbase out a tiny bit more than Ace but less than Stage 11s. I'd say these turn a lot better than Stage 11s. They are not even that heavy. The only downside is there is not as much kingpin clearance. Pretty stoked though. These will do until an Ace 8.5 comes outs.

Fuck, those look so nice.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8131 on: April 05, 2020, 08:41:40 PM »
I was gifted, what I believe to be some unground Stage 8 146s today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took out the 20+ year old bushings and  put in some newer  88a Indy barrel bushings and swapped my Ace 44s for them. I had no idea they'd turn so damn well. The harder metal is great also. Compared to my 44s, they are a tad wider (might actually measure 146mm on the money but they seem to have an 8 3/8" hanger like 44s), they are also a little higher and they push the wheelbase out a tiny bit more than Ace but less than Stage 11s. I'd say these turn a lot better than Stage 11s. They are not even that heavy. The only downside is there is not as much kingpin clearance. Pretty stoked though. These will do until an Ace 8.5 comes outs.

Proper jealous. I've managed to score stage 8 166's in that kind of shape but never 146's. They're indeed lighter than stage 11's, but as you noted the clearance is bad. And they have a tendency to slip axles (although not as bad as stage 7's). Enjoy that turn. For my money that design is the best wb/turn/height ratio that they ever did.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8132 on: April 05, 2020, 08:51:42 PM »
I am actually quite blown away by the turn. And the grind is second to none. I Primo'd a few kick flips and no slipping axle yet but I'm sure its coming...

Reed Richards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #8133 on: April 05, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »
Post lockdown, I'm supporting my local and getting this particular deck that I believe is an 8.25.  I already have some gently used 139s.  Can I reasonably use the two together or should I bite the bullet and find some 144/8.25 trucks that are exactly flush? 

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8134 on: April 05, 2020, 09:52:42 PM »
Might as well support your local and get some 144s too. But if thats not feasible then 139s will be fine, maybe consider putting two washers on the inside side of the axle.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8135 on: April 05, 2020, 11:21:34 PM »
Someone talk me out of trying some thunders for the first time in years. Recently hit axle on my venture 5.8s and will probably retire them soon ish. Considering Thunders for quick pop, the alleged 'pinch' and the fact that they're less of a 'hard' grind than ventures. Thinking about getting 151s even though I skate 8.25-8.38s for even better pinch on shitty ledges, the hollow lights are pretty light and the fact that they're lower makes me think it will be ok for flatground. I skate mostly concrete ledges so the soft grind and better pinch might be nice. Bit worried about no baseplate contact for slides, lack of kingpin clearance and wheelbite too. Should I just stick with more venture 5.8s or could Thunders be a move.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 11:32:06 PM by tzhangdox »

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8136 on: April 05, 2020, 11:45:56 PM »
Someone talk me out of trying some thunders for the first time in years. Recently hit axle on my venture 5.8s and will probably retire them soon ish. Considering Thunders for quick pop, the alleged 'pinch' and the fact that they're less of a 'hard' grind than ventures. Thinking about getting 151s even though I skate 8.25-8.38s for even better pinch on shitty ledges, the hollow lights are pretty light and the fact that they're lower makes me think it will be ok for flatground. I skate mostly concrete ledges so the soft grind and better pinch might be nice. Bit worried about no baseplate contact for slides, lack of kingpin clearance and wheelbite too. Should I just stick with more venture 5.8s or could Thunders be a move.

If you can afford them I would say go ahead and try them, life is too short for not trying new shit. Much daintier, lighter truck than Venture and if you're not a baby like me the baseplate / wheels sliding won't be an issue for you.Smaller adjustment than going to Indy, Theeve or Ace.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8137 on: April 05, 2020, 11:52:25 PM »
Fuck. Price isn't the issue but rather if I get them and don't like them I dont wanna feel like a truck hoarder ya feel me. Should probably also mention that I have another set of Venture 5.8s on ice. The past month or two I've been thinking about trucks less and less, its a rabbit hole I was glad to finally climb out of.... but if Thunders (149 or 151) really could be better then might have to hop back in.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8138 on: April 06, 2020, 12:32:23 AM »
i ride the 151 hollow lights with an 8.5 and i love them. favorite truck ive owned by miles. light, snappy, and responsive. wheelbite is an issue when im being sloppy, but thats all on me being dogshit. cant recommend them enough, i would highly suggest you try them out.

looking to get the 148 or 149 titaniums next just so i could have trucks for a hotrod and magic carpet setup. probably gonna go 148 and use washers if neccessary.
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8139 on: April 06, 2020, 12:44:28 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i ride the 151 hollow lights with an 8.5 and i love them. favorite truck ive owned by miles. light, snappy, and responsive. wheelbite is an issue when im being sloppy, but thats all on me being dogshit. cant recommend them enough, i would highly suggest you try them out.

looking to get the 148 or 149 titaniums next just so i could have trucks for a hotrod and magic carpet setup. probably gonna go 148 and use washers if neccessary.
Fuck. Price isn't the issue but rather if I get them and don't like them I dont wanna feel like a truck hoarder ya feel me. Should probably also mention that I have another set of Venture 5.8s on ice. The past month or two I've been thinking about trucks less and less, its a rabbit hole I was glad to finally climb out of.... but if Thunders (149 or 151) really could be better then might have to hop back in.

Whats up with this washer talk I've been reading about recently? Are you guys sticking additional washers on the inside of your axles to push the wheels out further for more space to grind?

Also, fuck. I was trying to dissuade tzhangdox from getting Thunders and sticking to Venture 5.8, maybe try the Titanium ones!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8140 on: April 06, 2020, 12:55:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Whats up with this washer talk I've been reading about recently? Are you guys sticking additional washers on the inside of your axles to push the wheels out further for more space to grind?

Also, fuck. I was trying to dissuade tzhangdox from getting Thunders and sticking to Venture 5.8, maybe try the Titanium ones!

Yes, I did this on my Ace 44s back when I skated 8.5s. Worked especially well on Aces since the axles tend to be a little longer so I was able to push the wheels out to the point where it felt like a true 8.5 truck with 3 washers on the inside. Seems like on most trucks you can get away with at least two washers on the inside if you want.

The ventures I just hit axle on are titaniums, loved how light they are especially because Ventures in general have a heftier pop feeling. The set I have on ice are v-lights which have forged plates and hollow kingpin but solid axle so are a bit heavier, I definitely prefer a lighter setup but I'd feel kinda stupid shelling out for more titaniums if I already have the same truck just not titanium.

ps just caught up on a few threads sounds like you got back smiths now, tight.

Expand Quote
[close]

Would you say the pinch is noticeably better than other trucks? And how do you find the lack of baseplate contact for slides and how do you find the kingpin clearance? Those are my biggest concerns over slight differences in turning or pop feel.

edit: fuckit just copped
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:35:21 AM by tzhangdox »

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8141 on: April 06, 2020, 02:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes, I did this on my Ace 44s back when I skated 8.5s. Worked especially well on Aces since the axles tend to be a little longer so I was able to push the wheels out to the point where it felt like a true 8.5 truck with 3 washers on the inside. Seems like on most trucks you can get away with at least two washers on the inside if you want.

The ventures I just hit axle on are titaniums, loved how light they are especially because Ventures in general have a heftier pop feeling. The set I have on ice are v-lights which have forged plates and hollow kingpin but solid axle so are a bit heavier, I definitely prefer a lighter setup but I'd feel kinda stupid shelling out for more titaniums if I already have the same truck just not titanium.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Would you say the pinch is noticeably better than other trucks? And how do you find the lack of baseplate contact for slides and how do you find the kingpin clearance? Those are my biggest concerns over slight differences in turning or pop feel.

hope you like em man. be sure to put up your review, everyone has a different opinion with thunders here
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8142 on: April 06, 2020, 03:29:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Dude I'm still working on them! Haven't tried one in weeks after I retired my setup with the Venture 5.2 Lo V-Hollow. the couple of mm height difference makes the world of difference to me especially since I've never been great with BS tricks. I'm riding Tensor Maglight ATG 5.5 which are super light but a fair bit higher at 55mm, been struggling to get as nice a pinch on my FS Crooks and BS Smiths, both of which I learned on Ventures hence the psychological attachment.

How were the 5.8 Titanium and what did you pair them with? I have 3 8.25 boards ready for that Venture love.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8143 on: April 06, 2020, 06:03:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Exactly, I'm doing that with Ace 44 since they don't have an 8.5" truck. 2 washers inside and 1 on the outside but after reading tzhangdox I'm curious to go for 3
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

tyshoes

• Rep: 8
« Reply #8144 on: April 06, 2020, 09:15:56 AM »
Just wanted to add that the Gullwing Shadows turn just like indys stage 8 and are only 50mm high. I havent seen anyone mention these but theyre very nice mid hight trucks

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8145 on: April 06, 2020, 11:08:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Exactly, I'm doing that with Ace 44 since they don't have an 8.5" truck. 2 washers inside and 1 on the outside but after reading tzhangdox I'm curious to go for 3

Yeah it gets weird if you have super skinny wheels but should be fine on most.

@Rocklobster I've beens skating Venture 5.8 titaniums with 8.25s 14.25-38 wheelbase for a while now. I liked them a lot. I like to have my setup as light as I can so having a really light 8.5 venture was great. Tried some 5.2 highs and wasn't a fan of the magic carpet feeling, it turned better but felt like it wasn't as forgiving on unstable landings and also the ledges I usually skate are chunky concrete so skinny trucks don't lock as well on them. Didn't really notice them being better for flip tricks either. I guess I came from 8.5 setups so I'm very used to an 8.5 truck. A little bit worried that an 8.75 truck could fuck with me a bit too much on 8.25 decks in some ways like when I tried Ace 55s on 8.5/8.6 a while back but I feel like that was more because ace 55s are super clunky (despite turning amazing) and have absurdly long hotrod axles. Tempted to run no washers on the inside of 151s but would that mess with the bearings rolling properly hmmm
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:32:45 AM by tzhangdox »

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8146 on: April 06, 2020, 12:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

@Rocklobster I've beens skating Venture 5.8 titaniums with 8.25s 14.25-38 wheelbase for a while now. I liked them a lot. I like to have my setup as light as I can so having a really light 8.5 venture was great. Tried some 5.2 highs and wasn't a fan of the magic carpet feeling, it turned better but felt like it wasn't as forgiving on unstable landings and also the ledges I usually skate are chunky concrete so skinny trucks don't lock as well on them. Didn't really notice them being better for flip tricks either. I guess I came from 8.5 setups so I'm very used to an 8.5 truck. A little bit worried that an 8.75 truck could fuck with me a bit too much on 8.25 decks in some ways like when I tried Ace 55s on 8.5/8.6 a while back but I feel like that was more because ace 55s are super clunky (despite turning amazing) and have absurdly long hotrod axles. Tempted to run no washers on the inside of 151s but would that mess with the bearings rolling properly hmmm

There are some really small/narrow speed rings, could help.
I had 151s, hollow lights, and they were really sick. Liked them a lot. Got them for the cardiel football: was trying to be like Cory. Rode them on an 8.38 as well. Here’s the thing for me tho: why? Wide trucks look so sick. And like Frozen said, the wider trucks than board, looks like a more pleasant time when 8” trucks were being used on 7.5s. Beyond the aesthetics, I don’t get much benefit. Straight flip tricks are nice. My ledge ability is garbo, so I don’t get a noticeable improvement on 50/50s, 5-0s. Maybe the downhill stability is a bit better. Wider trucks turn slower, maybe that’s helpful when bombing hills. Thunders are light trucks. But the bigger the setup, the heavier, the more pain from attempting to make the barge move, for me. I was hyped when you were headed to smaller sizes, I feel like that can really help some people, and you tried it and wasn’t for you, so maybe the size up will treat you right! It’s interesting to me that a lot of the vert skaters ride 149s.
TL; please don’t read:

Worse things to do than experiment with some different trucks.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8147 on: April 06, 2020, 12:24:42 PM »
I definitely agree that wide trucks look super sick especially when properly grooved. Besides a few new flip tricks I just learned and am working on, I'm too lazy to skate flat for the most part nowadays so as long as they don't mess with my other go tos it won't be a problem. Ledges are 90% of what I skate so that's where I'm really hoping to feel an improvement in, whether it be in terms of pinch or lock in etc. I feel like I will definitely miss the stability of Ventures when setting my feet up in uncomfortable positions, and the baseplate slide and kingpin clearance but if they end up having other advantages then that could be a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #8148 on: April 06, 2020, 01:49:03 PM »
OK, I have succumbed to the collab of Truck Madness x Quarantine Cabin Fever, and have ordered a pair of the Bobby 5.8's from the Site That's Name Shall Not Be Uttered.

Normally I ride FH/Tit 149s on a 14" wheelbase, but my mental madness has got me thinking I've had increasingly stability issues and more ghost popping than normal after hitting my deck dimension's "sweet spot"

So I'm going to experiment:
1 setup will be 8.25 14" WB Business&Co/FH 149s/54mm 99D F4 Radials.
The other will be 8.4 14" WB Business&Co/Venture 5.8/54mm 99D F4 Radials

Can someone suggest if I should go with the green stock bushings the Ventures have, or put something else in?  I have a pair of black/yellow conical bones lying around, and a pair of Red Indy aftermarket conicals.

Thanks in advance.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8149 on: April 06, 2020, 02:03:01 PM »
leave venture bushings stock, unless you want to do the ace bottom/ace low top bushing combo that some people try. Bones are good in ventures too but unnecessary imo.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8150 on: April 06, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »
leave venture bushings stock, unless you want to do the ace bottom/ace low top bushing combo that some people try. Bones are good in ventures too but unnecessary imo.

yeah stock bushings for sure. swap top washers to bones flat (or hardware store equivalent) if u want to prevent random binding / if u want a slightly looser turn.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #8151 on: April 06, 2020, 04:03:36 PM »
OK, I have succumbed to the collab of Truck Madness x Quarantine Cabin Fever, and have ordered a pair of the Bobby 5.8's from the Site That's Name Shall Not Be Uttered.

Normally I ride FH/Tit 149s on a 14" wheelbase, but my mental madness has got me thinking I've had increasingly stability issues and more ghost popping than normal after hitting my deck dimension's "sweet spot"

Can someone suggest if I should go with the green stock bushings the Ventures have, or put something else in?  I have a pair of black/yellow conical bones lying around, and a pair of Red Indy aftermarket conicals.

Thanks in advance.

how you like the b&c boards? what do the shapes look like? concave etc. I just got one in 7.75” waiting on it in the mail.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8152 on: April 06, 2020, 04:06:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]

how you like the b&c boards? what do the shapes look like? concave etc. I just got one in 7.75” waiting on it in the mail.

They had some nice 7.75s. If I needed a board....if you feel like listing your thoughts in the shape when you get it, that would be awesome

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #8153 on: April 06, 2020, 04:22:29 PM »
for sure!
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #8154 on: April 06, 2020, 05:43:41 PM »

Thanks in advance.
What’s the length on that b&c you have the ventures on. The length on the one I had was 31.3 and I didn’t have ventures on it but I wouldn’t mind getting that shape again .

spanyard

« Reply #8155 on: April 06, 2020, 05:54:22 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]

I'm loving the 8.25 I'm riding right now.  Pretty much the same look/feel of other BBS 14" WB popsicles I've had like DLX/primitive, maybe more squarish nose...  Concave is medium, kicks medium.

spanyard

« Reply #8156 on: April 06, 2020, 06:00:26 PM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance.
[close]
What’s the length on that b&c you have the ventures on. The length on the one I had was 31.3 and I didn’t have ventures on it but I wouldn’t mind getting that shape again .

The 8.4 biz&co is 31.8" length. So a little more nose/tail than the 8.25... I'm excited to see how this turns out.  Here's the link to the two b&c decks I have, same graphics different sizes:

https://businessandcompanyskateboards.com/collections/decks/products/fluoro-butterflies-skateboard-deck

Thanks for the advice on the 5.8s everybody.  I think I'll go stock with flat top washers.  Shalom.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8157 on: April 06, 2020, 06:09:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

That board WB would have me all kinds of concerns when paired with Ventures. 14.25" + 3.4" from trucks seems pretty long, guess it's compensated by having lighter trucks.

I've done (axle to axle) 17.51 with a Real (8.18 x 31.8 x 14.38) and Tensor Maglight ATG (3.125), the board is incredibly light but way too light on the tail so the timing for pops is off. Can't wait for my Ventures in to add some weight and breathe some life back into this deck, after this whole lockdown thing is over too.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #8158 on: April 06, 2020, 06:16:42 PM »
has anyone here ran ace (low) bushings in indy trucks? did they feel more like "ace's" or "indy's"?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8159 on: April 06, 2020, 06:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

That board WB would have me all kinds of concerns when paired with Ventures. 14.25" + 3.4" from trucks seems pretty long, guess it's compensated by having lighter trucks.

I've done (axle to axle) 17.51 with a Real (8.18 x 31.8 x 14.38) and Tensor Maglight ATG (3.125), the board is incredibly light but way too light on the tail so the timing for pops is off. Can't wait for my Ventures in to add some weight and breathe some life back into this deck, after this whole lockdown thing is over too.

The wheelbase is pretty ideal for me, I'm 6 5 and only recently started sizing down my setup in width, length and wb.  I have a feeling on Thunder 151s I might want to stick to 14.38, though I'm sure 14.25 will be doable. Going down even further in length/wb might make spacing for 180 into grinds and certain flip tricks easier, but would definitely leave me prone to slipping out more.

I always thought that lighter is better and that there's no benefit to a heavy setup since skateboards are generally quite heavy already. Lighter setups definitely seem to allow me to do tricks more casually and I can skate for longer as a result of the reduced effort. But I'm starting to think there might be a point where a setup feels too light, not necessarily the weight of the setup (which I still think is always better off light) but rather how light the pop feels.

Currently skating a Quasi 8.25 with the flattest tail I've skated in a long time, and coming from a DOA 8.25 with super steep kicks, the pop off the tail definitely does feel a little too light with the super light titaniums. Nose is normal though and feels great for switch tricks. Just set up the v-lights on it and just hitting the tail on the ground to pick up my board seems to take a little more effort (in a good-ish way)... maybe this will make me care about weight a little less. Though it seems that Thunders, being lighter, lower and having a shorter effective wheelbase than ventures with forged plates, might have an even lighter pop feel than Ventures.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:32:01 PM by tzhangdox »