Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231775 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8160 on: April 06, 2020, 06:42:21 PM »
OK, I have succumbed to the collab of Truck Madness x Quarantine Cabin Fever, and have ordered a pair of the Bobby 5.8's from the Site That's Name Shall Not Be Uttered.

Normally I ride FH/Tit 149s on a 14" wheelbase, but my mental madness has got me thinking I've had increasingly stability issues and more ghost popping than normal after hitting my deck dimension's "sweet spot"

So I'm going to experiment:
1 setup will be 8.25 14" WB Business&Co/FH 149s/54mm 99D F4 Radials.
The other will be 8.4 14" WB Business&Co/Venture 5.8/54mm 99D F4 Radials

Can someone suggest if I should go with the green stock bushings the Ventures have, or put something else in?  I have a pair of black/yellow conical bones lying around, and a pair of Red Indy aftermarket conicals.

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in what You think of B&C. I'm definitely into 14"wb.

The green. I wish my trucks came with the green so bad.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

spanyard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8161 on: April 06, 2020, 07:27:27 PM »
Expand Quote
OK, I have succumbed to the collab of Truck Madness x Quarantine Cabin Fever, and have ordered a pair of the Bobby 5.8's from the Site That's Name Shall Not Be Uttered.

Normally I ride FH/Tit 149s on a 14" wheelbase, but my mental madness has got me thinking I've had increasingly stability issues and more ghost popping than normal after hitting my deck dimension's "sweet spot"

So I'm going to experiment:
1 setup will be 8.25 14" WB Business&Co/FH 149s/54mm 99D F4 Radials.
The other will be 8.4 14" WB Business&Co/Venture 5.8/54mm 99D F4 Radials

Can someone suggest if I should go with the green stock bushings the Ventures have, or put something else in?  I have a pair of black/yellow conical bones lying around, and a pair of Red Indy aftermarket conicals.

Thanks in advance.
[close]

I'm interested in what You think of B&C. I'm definitely into 14"wb.

The green. I wish my trucks came with the green so bad.

Loving it. Love BBS and this 8.25 is reminiscent of the antihero 8.28 or 8.12 which are my favorites.

nathanhenry18

• Rep: 1
« Reply #8162 on: April 06, 2020, 09:37:29 PM »
I wanna get Aces, I ride an 8.5 and sometimes I step up to an 8.6-8.75, should I get the 55's or 44's

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #8163 on: April 06, 2020, 10:06:20 PM »
I wanna get Aces, I ride an 8.5 and sometimes I step up to an 8.6-8.75, should I get the 55's or 44's

I’ve used 44’s on everything from 8.12-8.75 and they were fine, though the 8.75 was kind of stretching it for me. Seems like 8.6 and lower would be better with 44’s and 8.75+ better off with 55’s.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
« Reply #8164 on: April 06, 2020, 10:42:24 PM »
On 44's you can cram yourself into an 8 1/4if you're in a pinch or obsessively look for an 8 3/8.... Which is perfect....

chappers

« Reply #8165 on: April 07, 2020, 04:33:37 AM »
On 44's you can cram yourself into an 8 1/4if you're in a pinch or obsessively look for an 8 3/8.... Which is perfect....

just copped 44's for this exact reason. copped the kader jerry baker board too which is 8 3/8 x 32 x 14.5 wb, mellow shape. looking forward to skating it, just waiting for my wheels to come and ill post a pic in the setup thread of my quar-complete

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #8166 on: April 07, 2020, 02:56:29 PM »
Hey PALS,

My trucks (indy 159 hollows) have been making a lot of noise as of late, and I have tried a few different methods of getting em to shut up

I tried:
speed cream in the pivot cup, which worked for a while, but turned into a greasy mess after a while, and then the squeaking + a clicking noise started.   

Then, I tried

wax shavings in the pivot cup + on contact surfaces of the bushing (top + bottom), as well as on the inside + outside of the washers

And yet, the still are making the loud squeaking noise and the  occasional clicking noise

anyone got anything I should try?

Thanks, and  s h a l o m
niggling

[/quote]

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8167 on: April 07, 2020, 03:11:12 PM »
Hey PALS,

My trucks (indy 159 hollows) have been making a lot of noise as of late, and I have tried a few different methods of getting em to shut up

I tried:
speed cream in the pivot cup, which worked for a while, but turned into a greasy mess after a while, and then the squeaking + a clicking noise started.   

Then, I tried

wax shavings in the pivot cup + on contact surfaces of the bushing (top + bottom), as well as on the inside + outside of the washers

And yet, the still are making the loud squeaking noise and the  occasional clicking noise

Thanks, and  s h a l o m

Sounds FUCKING ANNOYING. I’d try removing baseplate and checking the kingpin: could be loose. That doesn’t really make any sense, but I don’t have any other ideas.

slappy50

• Rep: 17
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #8168 on: April 07, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »
I thought I might have to replace bushings, but I tried some slightly broken in orange indy bushings in there and it was still squeaking, so I might just get riptide pivot cups and see what that does. The trucks are fairly new too, as I got them around Christmas.
niggling

[/quote]

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8169 on: April 07, 2020, 03:49:17 PM »
Ah. My bad.  New 159s = probably the pivot cup. I skate ventures, mostly, and they can really squeak, but a little oil on the pivot cup and they good. My old Indy’s (USA cast) pivot cups are fine. Newer, forged plate Indy’s have less good pivot cups imo.

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8170 on: April 07, 2020, 03:53:53 PM »
For squeaks a silicone dry spray might work. Just make sure it's safe for rubber and plastic, I think most are now.
Tweak the hanger when you spray to get under the bushings better

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #8171 on: April 07, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »
Soap bar shavings on the pivot cup and bushings have always done me well, but if wax didn’t work I don’t how much better a bar of soap will do. My 159s were squeaky as hell.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8172 on: April 07, 2020, 05:54:48 PM »
Soap bar shavings on the pivot cup and bushings have always done me well, but if wax didn’t work I don’t how much better a bar of soap will do. My 159s were squeaky as hell.

Second the soap bar shavings. Whenever I tried the wax it got gummy real quick on the urethane. Soap just sort of turns to powder, no mess. 

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #8173 on: April 07, 2020, 06:40:46 PM »
Expand Quote
I was gifted, what I believe to be some unground Stage 8 146s today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took out the 20+ year old bushings and  put in some newer  88a Indy barrel bushings and swapped my Ace 44s for them. I had no idea they'd turn so damn well. The harder metal is great also. Compared to my 44s, they are a tad wider (might actually measure 146mm on the money but they seem to have an 8 3/8" hanger like 44s), they are also a little higher and they push the wheelbase out a tiny bit more than Ace but less than Stage 11s. I'd say these turn a lot better than Stage 11s. They are not even that heavy. The only downside is there is not as much kingpin clearance. Pretty stoked though. These will do until an Ace 8.5 comes outs.
[close]

Proper jealous. I've managed to score stage 8 166's in that kind of shape but never 146's. They're indeed lighter than stage 11's, but as you noted the clearance is bad. And they have a tendency to slip axles (although not as bad as stage 7's). Enjoy that turn. For my money that design is the best wb/turn/height ratio that they ever did.

sweet! these are the perfect candidate for the krux down low kingpin swap. and no jb weld is needed.
hammer out the old kingpin, the new nut will slide + lock right into the groves left from the old kingpin hex head.
clearance problem solved + you shave a few grams of weight w/new hollow king pins. here's a shot of my stage 7s.
i also have a tip for preventing the axle slip. will take some pics + share

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8174 on: April 07, 2020, 06:52:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was gifted, what I believe to be some unground Stage 8 146s today. Curiosity got the best of me so I took out the 20+ year old bushings and  put in some newer  88a Indy barrel bushings and swapped my Ace 44s for them. I had no idea they'd turn so damn well. The harder metal is great also. Compared to my 44s, they are a tad wider (might actually measure 146mm on the money but they seem to have an 8 3/8" hanger like 44s), they are also a little higher and they push the wheelbase out a tiny bit more than Ace but less than Stage 11s. I'd say these turn a lot better than Stage 11s. They are not even that heavy. The only downside is there is not as much kingpin clearance. Pretty stoked though. These will do until an Ace 8.5 comes outs.
[close]

Proper jealous. I've managed to score stage 8 166's in that kind of shape but never 146's. They're indeed lighter than stage 11's, but as you noted the clearance is bad. And they have a tendency to slip axles (although not as bad as stage 7's). Enjoy that turn. For my money that design is the best wb/turn/height ratio that they ever did.
[close]

sweet! these are the perfect candidate for the krux down low kingpin swap. and no jb weld is needed.
hammer out the old kingpin, the new nut will slide + lock right into the groves left from the old kingpin hex head.
clearance problem solved + you shave a few grams of weight w/new hollow king pins. here's a shot of my stage 7s.

please so. i wish i'd scored some 156s but the 146s will have to do. can't complain...

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8175 on: April 07, 2020, 07:50:48 PM »
Hey PALS,

I tried:

Then, I tried

Thanks, and  s h a l o m

The squeak might be coming from the baseplate if your hardware is loose.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8176 on: April 07, 2020, 09:09:16 PM »
setup up an alltimers 8.25 with thunder 151 HL and got the floatiest kickflips everwhen I gave a casual flick. the wider trucks just were working everywhere i wanted them to
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8177 on: April 07, 2020, 09:14:49 PM »
setup up an alltimers 8.25 with thunder 151 HL and got the floatiest kickflips everwhen I gave a casual flick. the wider trucks just were working everywhere i wanted them to

8.25 with 151? Now that's some crazy talk right there.

I do like the feeling of wider trucks vs board, so much room for activities. However, the added truck size has to be compensated by having a lighter version of the truck IMO.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8178 on: April 07, 2020, 09:19:32 PM »
De gros been rockin that 8.3 151 life lately. Maybe it is nice and dreamy for activities  :o

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8179 on: April 07, 2020, 09:42:58 PM »
Is it true that thunder Venture and now ace all began as an indy stage 3?

I don't remember a thunder that was not with X wing hangers
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8180 on: April 07, 2020, 09:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

8.25 with 151? Now that's some crazy talk right there.

I do like the feeling of wider trucks vs board, so much room for activities. However, the added truck size has to be compensated by having a lighter version of the truck IMO.

This is about to be me will report back end of weekend lol/

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #8181 on: April 09, 2020, 08:11:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

please so. i wish i'd scored some 156s but the 146s will have to do. can't complain...
the stage 7+8 in that size are like todays 144s with 8.25" axles. i have a set, did the krux kingpin swap, and LOVE them.
to help prevent axle slip, i used a metal punch to 'crimp' the hanger metal into the exposed axle on the underside.
Give a few solid whacks to pinch the hanger metal into the axle. so far so good.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8182 on: April 09, 2020, 08:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
the stage 7+8 in that size are like todays 144s with 8.25" axles. i have a set, did the krux kingpin swap, and LOVE them.
to help prevent axle slip, i used a metal punch to 'crimp' the hanger metal into the exposed axle on the underside.
Give a few solid whacks to pinch the hanger metal into the axle. so far so good.

Hot tip. Needed you in the 90s real bad. Was one of the things that always kept me wary of Indy’s (everything slipped, I just always want to hate Indy).

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8183 on: April 09, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »
Anyone with cast baseplate thunder teams ocd about which baseplate faces front vs back. Lightening bolt facing front or nah? I always try and make the one with more exposed kingpin above the nut the rear. ::)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8184 on: April 09, 2020, 09:19:17 AM »
Anyone with cast baseplate thunder teams ocd about which baseplate faces front vs back. Lightening bolt facing front or nah? I always try and make the one with more exposed kingpin above the nut the rear. ::)
What?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #8185 on: April 09, 2020, 09:45:49 AM »
That always bugged me that they didn't always match. Lightning bolt pointing towards the tail. Same with the more exposed pin towards the rear, since you know it'll be the one that gets ground down anyway.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8186 on: April 09, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What?
On cast plate thunders they usually don't match with the logo. It will have either the three lines, lightening bolt or Team printed across the other side of the baseplate.

Fred Gerwer Frank Gall

« Reply #8187 on: April 09, 2020, 10:12:16 AM »

Salamander up front, skull and bones out back. Terry said so.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8188 on: April 09, 2020, 12:17:41 PM »

Pretty good and comparison on two diff decks.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8189 on: April 09, 2020, 01:57:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
What?
[close]
On cast plate thunders they usually don't match with the logo. It will have either the three lines, lightening bolt or Team printed across the other side of the baseplate.
Monday = Thunder
I'll check
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.