Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232814 times)

sadnocomply

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8280 on: April 15, 2020, 02:38:34 PM »
I can't decide if I like these thunders. I'm 4 sessions in on a pair of 147s and had one great session and 2 awful ones.  Yesterday it seemed like every time I did a tre flip it just immediately wheelbites on landing and I get tossed. Frontside flips have become impossible and were a breeze on venture lows. For whatever reason regular kickflips feel easier and my ollies are popped nice and high. I haven't been able to do kickflips this well in a half decade. I don't know if I need to just stick it out and give these another week but I just like having ventures on my board and how nostalgic it feels. Maybe going to a slightly bigger wheel has also had an effect. I'm having an identity crisis with my setup lol.

What deck and wheel size you runnin

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8281 on: April 15, 2020, 03:20:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I can't decide if I like these thunders. I'm 4 sessions in on a pair of 147s and had one great session and 2 awful ones.  Yesterday it seemed like every time I did a tre flip it just immediately wheelbites on landing and I get tossed. Frontside flips have become impossible and were a breeze on venture lows. For whatever reason regular kickflips feel easier and my ollies are popped nice and high. I haven't been able to do kickflips this well in a half decade. I don't know if I need to just stick it out and give these another week but I just like having ventures on my board and how nostalgic it feels. Maybe going to a slightly bigger wheel has also had an effect. I'm having an identity crisis with my setup lol.
[close]

What deck and wheel size you runnin
before I was rocking venture 5.25 lows with 50mm classic spits and 8.0 deck. Now I'm running an 8.0 Real Full SE with 52mm classic spits. Always 14 inch wheelbase.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8282 on: April 15, 2020, 03:49:19 PM »
Can't remember if it was on this thread, most likely yes, that a pal was saying about badly he hated when Thunder trucks came "swapped".
In my case got these with "Team" on both of them

Luckily the anodized colors on the hanger don't bother me :)
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8283 on: April 15, 2020, 04:31:43 PM »

Just gotta get used to the timing of your thunders. They're slightly different from ventures. You'll adjust over time.

side note: my venture lows pinch way better than thunders. on top of that, the pop out is better too, given that I'm using bones mediums. Not missing my thunders very much right now.

skatefresh

• Rep: 21
« Reply #8284 on: April 15, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just gotta get used to the timing of your thunders. They're slightly different from ventures. You'll adjust over time.

side note: my venture lows pinch way better than thunders. on top of that, the pop out is better too, given that I'm using bones mediums. Not missing my thunders very much right now.
You're making me want to switch them out more.  :-\

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #8285 on: April 15, 2020, 10:51:29 PM »
149s on 8.75. Any experiences? Never done the magic carpet setup before but I have Conical Fulls so it’s basically flush.

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8286 on: April 15, 2020, 10:57:30 PM »
Can't remember if it was on this thread, most likely yes, that a pal was saying about badly he hated when Thunder trucks came "swapped".

never seen this color of thunders. digging the “prime” colored hangers. just got some pig hardware like that.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8287 on: April 15, 2020, 11:00:28 PM »
149s on 8.75. Any experiences? Never done the magic carpet setup before but I have Conical Fulls so it’s basically flush.

I ride an 8.75 and have run both 8.5 and 8.75 wides underneath. I prefer 159's but I have big ass size 16 shoes so the extra stability (even if it's only imagined) helps. With conical fulls you probably won't be able to tell a difference tbh.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #8288 on: April 15, 2020, 11:04:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I ride an 8.75 and have run both 8.5 and 8.75 wides underneath. I prefer 159's but I have big ass size 16 shoes so the extra stability (even if it's only imagined) helps. With conical fulls you probably won't be able to tell a difference tbh.

I normally ride 159/169/55 but just feeling like changing things up to save some weight. The 149s are the old Hollow Cast ones.

giantbeardedone

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8289 on: April 15, 2020, 11:06:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I normally ride 159/169/55 but just feeling like changing things up to save some weight. The 149s are the old Hollow Cast ones.

makes sense. you could also get some thunder hollows or something if you want to keep the same width. they are super light and come in a 159.

ultrabra

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8290 on: April 16, 2020, 03:04:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I come to you all in the truck thread seeking advice.

I've moved back on to some thunder 151s, that I was running bones in before, but I'd like to move to some cylinders for stability. What bushings would suit the thunders best? Thinking about some Indy barrels for simplicity.
[close]
ace bottoms with a shaved down stock top has been sooo good for my 151s. not as simple as just buying a set and throwing them in but it was well worth my 15 minutes tinkering around. coming off the stock conicals, i was able to set up for tricks without all the wobble and still have them loose enough to get that surfy turn that feels thunder like with a hint of ace.

there is a noticeable balance deadzone at first but it works perfectly once the bushings are broken in.

I have ace bottom, white thunder top(roadside) on my 148 Thunders. Helped mee too with tricks stability. Really like them now.
Thunder 147's i can skate with standard bushings.
Anything bigger, and conicals are too loose for me. Tried 94a aftermarket conicals, but the barrels just feel more controllable.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8291 on: April 16, 2020, 06:52:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

never seen this color of thunders. digging the “prime” colored hangers. just got some pig hardware like that.
I'll put a decent photo on the setup thread since this was taken at night
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8292 on: April 16, 2020, 11:57:49 AM »
Last night I swapped out bushings. I put in the 78a super soft Independents in place of the stocks. Hand tightened. I skated some parking blocks. An hour, an hour and a half at the most. The top bushing in the back already split! One session. You can see that line going around the middle, if I pulled at both halves I could just peel it apart. I know they're super soft but I wasn't expecting this. I'm a whole 130 right now. Not impressed.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8293 on: April 16, 2020, 02:37:35 PM »
Last night I swapped out bushings. I put in the 78a super soft Independents in place of the stocks. Hand tightened. I skated some parking blocks. An hour, an hour and a half at the most. The top bushing in the back already split! One session. You can see that line going around the middle, if I pulled at both halves I could just peel it apart. I know they're super soft but I wasn't expecting this. I'm a whole 130 right now. Not impressed.

I rode the 78a once, they got shredded almost instantly, same happened with the Khiro 73a, they just aren't made for heavy people, I don't they're for anyone over 60lbs. Not that they shouldn't be durable if used by bigger people tho. sucks.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8294 on: April 16, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I rode the 78a once, they got shredded almost instantly, same happened with the Khiro 73a, they just aren't made for heavy people, I don't they're for anyone over 60lbs. Not that they shouldn't be durable if used by bigger people tho. sucks.

that's what happened to my stock purple bushings.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8295 on: April 16, 2020, 03:50:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

that's what happened to my stock purple bushings.

same, though after a week or two rather than one session. Running old broken in bushings is the best but hard if they keep getting shredded.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #8296 on: April 16, 2020, 07:49:07 PM »
Why can't thunder baseplates hit the ledge.... my truck crisis would be cured immediately.

sneakpeekmeek

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8297 on: April 16, 2020, 08:19:27 PM »
Why can't thunder baseplates hit the ledge.... my truck crisis would be cured immediately.

Throw on some smaller wheels. I loved sliding when i was rocking 147s and 50mms. They locked in so damn well.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8298 on: April 16, 2020, 08:40:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Throw on some smaller wheels. I loved sliding when i was rocking 147s and 50mms. They locked in so damn well.

Best slides I’ve ever had have been on this configuration

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8299 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They'll probably have to be classics or 101a though. I had some slightly wider wheels worn down to 50 or just under and they were still dragging a good amount.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8300 on: April 16, 2020, 09:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They'll probably have to be classics or 101a though. I had some slightly wider wheels worn down to 50 or just under and they were still dragging a good amount.

Great point: classics, but mine were 99. Fulls have that grip.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #8301 on: April 17, 2020, 07:13:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Hmm... never occurred to me that smaller wheels might fix the issue. Although I've never gone below 53 mm in my life.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8302 on: April 17, 2020, 04:00:35 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

lol. Its ok.

Look how beautiful they are.
(A)pl(E)

Saint Coke

« Reply #8303 on: April 17, 2020, 05:01:19 PM »
Does anyone have any experience with ventures on a 14.5 wb?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #8304 on: April 17, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
Expand Quote

I've moved back on to some thunder 151s, that I was running bones in before, but I'd like to move to some cylinders for stability. What bushings would suit the thunders best? Thinking about some Indy barrels for simplicity.
[close]
ace bottoms with a shaved down stock top has been sooo good for my 151s. not as simple as just buying a set and throwing them in but it was well worth my 15 minutes tinkering around. coming off the stock conicals, i was able to set up for tricks without all the wobble and still have them loose enough to get that surfy turn that feels thunder like with a hint of ace.

there is a noticeable balance deadzone at first but it works perfectly once the bushings are broken in.

The Ace bottom bushings are a magic bullet for me. They feel how a soft bushing should feel, but never does. I have 5 pairs of trucks and they are all better with an ace on bottom. I don't think they even realize what they have. I use them in my Krux and if it weren't for the bushings I'd probably skate Ace or Thunder.

Notice how no one ever talks about swapping the bushings on Ace anymore?

Unfortunately the sizing is a little weird, so I'd suggest anyone just get one of each type of ace bushings and figure out what size combo is best in your trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8305 on: April 17, 2020, 07:17:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The Ace bottom bushings are a magic bullet for me. They feel how a soft bushing should feel, but never does. I have 5 pairs of trucks and they are all better with an ace on bottom. I don't think they even realize what they have. I use them in my Krux and if it weren't for the bushings I'd probably skate Ace or Thunder.

Notice how no one ever talks about swapping the bushings on Ace anymore?

Unfortunately the sizing is a little weird, so I'd suggest anyone just get one of each type of ace bushings and figure out what size combo is best in your trucks.

I think they know, or they wouldn't have made them in that specific dual duro and upgraded/improved them from the first gen of bushings.

Low top Regular bottom or just shave down the tall top (that fucker is really tall tho).

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8306 on: April 17, 2020, 07:23:46 PM »

lol. Its ok.

shit i just got purple 97a for my 6.1 waiting for them to arrive. im 200lbs tho

legion

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8307 on: April 17, 2020, 11:49:07 PM »
Expand Quote

lol. Its ok.

[close]
Lol. I'm too skinny.. I see that pic and all I can think are tictacs ;D

Bumming me out on the super softs though. I was thinking of add them to the collection.
Guess I'll go clear Supercush and red Indy bushings.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8308 on: April 17, 2020, 11:55:10 PM »
Expand Quote

lol. Its ok.

[close]

I'm down to a 170 from like 190. My goal is 165.
(A)pl(E)

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #8309 on: April 18, 2020, 05:40:29 AM »
Expand Quote

lol. Its ok.