Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232373 times)

texasplant

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 84
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8580 on: May 27, 2020, 05:11:37 PM »
I've got some 215s and they've got USA stamped on the bottom.  Do they make them in the states, or is it some 'assembled in the usa' type shit?

Also, any tips on good bushings to put on these wide ass beasts?  I usually run Bones Mediums in Indy 169s

I just got the newest 215s with the ‘wings’ on them. Definitely no USA stamp so I would say you got an old set. Send a photo of the hangar. Mine has 215 embossed on the end like thunder does.

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #8581 on: May 29, 2020, 10:42:36 AM »
i've kind of avoided anything Indy related for the past like...8 months maybe?  whats the latest with them, are people still upset about the China move?  is there quality issues?  is there a cast/forged preference, or anything universal that people prefer?

been on Ventures but was gunna grab a pair of Indys for a cruiser

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8582 on: May 29, 2020, 12:35:22 PM »
i've kind of avoided anything Indy related for the past like...8 months maybe?  whats the latest with them, are people still upset about the China move?  is there quality issues?  is there a cast/forged preference, or anything universal that people prefer?

been on Ventures but was gunna grab a pair of Indys for a cruiser

While I can understand why people might be upset with the move to china...I'm not sure how they can be so angsty yet probably have iPhones, laptops, TVs, Cars, whathaveyou, all either made in or built with parts sourced from, China.

Anyway, I recently picked up 9.5" board (8.75" at both truck areas due to taper) and needed some trucks, it's obviously a bit of a pig at 9.5" and the WBs (dual drilled) are either 14.625" or 15.375" so for my the options were ACE/INDY/THEEVE as I don't want to push the WB any further...and had to be 8.75" ACE55/66 too small and too big, Theeves, too small so I settled on Indy 159 Forged Hollows (I was tempted by Thunder 151s tho).

They are for sure the new stock (they had just arrived in the shop I ordered from) and you can easily tell by the casting quality, they are really quite nice. Stock bushings seem different, higher quality than old stock but I'm not certain if they are aftermarkets used as new 'stock' bushings (I doubt it). Pivot cups seem a bit higher quality as well as far as no jaggie plastic bits , we'll have to see how long they last.

Now to remove those iron crosses...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:36:57 PM by Xen »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #8583 on: May 29, 2020, 12:39:29 PM »

While I can understand why people might be upset with the move to china...I'm not sure how they can be so angsty yet probably have iPhones, laptops, TVs, Cars, whathaveyou, all either made in or built with parts sourced from, China.

Because it was nice to have the option of American made trucks. Simple. iPhones and all the other things you mentioned are a lost cause. Just b/c we all consume a lot Chinese made goods it does not mean we should be OK with everything going that way entirely. Hopefully, Venture and Thunder can hold out longer.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8584 on: May 29, 2020, 12:45:43 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Because it was nice to have the option of American made trucks. Simple. iPhones and all the other things you mentioned are a lost cause. Just b/c we all consume a lot Chinese made goods it does not mean we should be OK with everything going that way entirely. Hopefully, Venture and Thunder can hold out longer.

Like said, I can understand why. However, given that the quality of the truck has improved, why settle for subpar product 'Made in the U.S.A' when you can have better, regardless of where it's made?

Both Tensor and Chinese Indys are lightyears better in terms of fit and finish compared to Thunder and Venture (Venture seemingly cleaner looking to me for some reason).

DSM boards are some of the best finished boards on the market (and I personally prefer the crispier/stiff Chinese pressed decks over BBS/GEN/PS/SC (I get it's personal taste here); but once you get used to them everything else feels soggy/dead feeling by comparison; I wish they'd make wheels, surely they'd be competitive.

Anyway, I get the feeling that DLX will keep, at a minimum Thunder/Spit US made.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8585 on: May 29, 2020, 12:46:24 PM »
Skated 2 days on Thunder 148 Team Raws now, and its my first EVER raw truck, as in no hollows etc. I grew up skating grind king, and have always gone for the lighter options. Well... What a waste! I see no reason to pay more for "less". Tho in my case, I broke 3 hollow kingpins  ::)

^ Since Indy is made in china now, maybe they can pay more skaters? Look at it positive.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 12:49:02 PM by Vintagebody »

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #8586 on: May 29, 2020, 01:29:26 PM »
Xen, thank you for the always detailed responses my man.  also, lol'd hard at you calling your new deck a bit of a pig

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #8587 on: May 29, 2020, 04:03:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Like said, I can understand why. However, given that the quality of the truck has improved, why settle for subpar product 'Made in the U.S.A' when you can have better, regardless of where it's made?

You did not mention anything about quality in the post I was responding to. If the quality is now better that's one thing but that remains to be seen a far as I can tell.

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #8588 on: May 29, 2020, 04:28:35 PM »
Xen, consistently the WORST poster. I really don’t think you do understand why, when you turn around and say “but the quality is better so you shouldn’t care.”

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8589 on: May 29, 2020, 04:33:13 PM »
Xen always telling us to get those fucking primitives too smh!!!   ::)

Jk I love you xen

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8590 on: May 29, 2020, 05:28:11 PM »
I think worst poster is maybe a bit heavy handed, no?
The hyperbole was strong with saying that ‘tensor and Chinese indys are LIGHT YEARS’ better quality, compared to venture/thunder. That’s kinda just saying stuff, unless you provide some specifics. I do understand this is all casual off handed talk, so it doesn’t need some actual science, but.....
I haven’t had tensors cuz I ain’t no nerd (I actually just don’t want a 55mm tall truck).
I absolutely would rather buy USA products, whenever possible, for many reasons: jobs, environment (shipping items across the world is not ideal), I don’t think we need to cede anymore manufacturing to China, China has sus ethics for Chinese people/others....and I honestly believe the cast ventures and thunders I’ve had have been great. I’m currently most stoked on ACE, and they are China all the way, I’d be more stoked if they weren’t.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8591 on: May 29, 2020, 07:14:34 PM »
Xen, thank you for the always detailed responses my man.  also, lol'd hard at you calling your new deck a bit of a pig

It is (for me anyway); just posted it in the Big Boards 9"+( I wanna hear big boys talk about their big boards) thread: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.msg3307430#msg3307430
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:32:25 PM by Xen »

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8592 on: May 29, 2020, 11:45:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You did not mention anything about quality in the post I was responding to. If the quality is now better that's one thing but that remains to be seen a far as I can tell.
They are for sure the new stock (they had just arrived in the shop I ordered from) and you can easily tell by the casting quality, they are really quite nice

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8593 on: May 30, 2020, 12:03:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Both Tensor and Chinese Indys are lightyears better in terms of fit and finish compared to Thunder and Venture (Venture seemingly cleaner looking to me for some reason).

DSM boards are some of the best finished boards on the market (and I personally prefer the crispier/stiff Chinese pressed decks over BBS/GEN/PS/SC (I get it's personal taste here); but once you get used to them everything else feels soggy/dead feeling by comparison; I wish they'd make wheels, surely they'd be competitive.

Anyway, I get the feeling that DLX will keep, at a minimum Thunder/Spit US made.

All of the forged base plates that Ermico (the foundry that makes Thunder, Venture, and formerly, Indy) uses have always, or at least almost always, been made in China. Right now, cast Ventures and Thunders are mostly made in the USA, except for the some of the smaller components.

Oh, and Spitfire moved production to Mexico nearly 3 years ago!

How much for an order of ribs?

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #8594 on: May 30, 2020, 02:24:17 AM »
Current Stage 11 Indys that are made in China are just as good in terms of build quality, function, and durability. Sure, there might be minor differences in the non-USA made to the USA made but there isn't much.
Bushings seem to break in easier (but not last long like they used to. I had to swap to aftermarkets which is rare for me on pre China indys) than they used to (at least from what I can tell) and the metal doesn't grind down any quicker. Grinds feel the same, too. Turning feels just as responsive and turnt, but still stable as USA made, also.

I had Stage 10s last me at least 2 full years of skating with no problem and a pair of China Stage 11s I'm on right now feel and ride great after a year, so I think they're just as good. Then again, I've only skated Indy since 2009-2010, so keep that in mind with my opinion.
Super Champion Fun Zone

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8595 on: May 30, 2020, 03:16:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You guys in the states probably still get the good Spitfire wheels but there has been a recent flood of what I assume are fake Spitfires all over Taobao (China's equivalent of Amazon) and Aliexpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000805451624.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.49f852dd8Mq4rO&algo_pvid=0f91d112-0a86-4d2d-87cd-20a4ff03af3f&algo_expid=0f91d112-0a86-4d2d-87cd-20a4ff03af3f-1&btsid=0ab50f4415908331544852721e3859&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

They are selling for less than $35 with shipping and the urathene looks a little too white for F4 which are more yellow.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #8596 on: May 30, 2020, 03:36:23 AM »
I was watching some videos about the downfall of Harley Davidson and they talk about one of the big reasons for them to move production to Asia was that the price of the imported steel and aluminum got heavily taxed after trumps measures, so making the parts in America got super expensive and not that profitable. Do you guys think that could be one of the reasons for Indy to move production overseas?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Charlie Hustle

« Reply #8597 on: May 30, 2020, 03:42:00 AM »
I was watching some videos about the downfall of Harley Davidson and they talk about one of the big reasons for them to move production to Asia was that the price of the imported steel and aluminum got heavily taxed after trumps measures, so making the parts in America got super expensive and not that profitable. Do you guys think that could be one of the reasons for Indy to move production overseas?

I'm not sure if that's specifically why. I mean it's cheaper to make shit in Asia period, that's why people do it. Everything NHS makes is made in China.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #8598 on: May 30, 2020, 04:27:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I'm not sure if that's specifically why. I mean it's cheaper to make shit in Asia period, that's why people do it. Everything NHS makes is made in China.

The entire Harley Davidson brand is tied to the American identity, think about how much of their products are photographed with the US flag in the background. While a majority of the skateboarding industry is stateside, it's identity less America.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #8599 on: May 30, 2020, 05:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

The entire Harley Davidson brand is tied to the American identity, think about how much of their products are photographed with the US flag in the background. While a majority of the skateboarding industry is stateside, it's identity less America.

I thought NHS, had a change in leadership. This person was pushing the collabs and made the decision to move to China for profits. He also ended certain paid incentives sponsorships. Basically pulling a Nike and thinking that people would stay on basically as Indy flow forever cause “ride the best!”. This at least is what I gleaned from slap post and Instagram comments.

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #8600 on: May 30, 2020, 06:18:40 AM »

True. But of any brand around, Indy had a very dialed-in image which definitely catered/caters to that 'made in America' 'American tradition' vibe. Definitely not as prominent as something like mid-century Harley Davidson nostalgia but as close as you're going to get in skating. I mean, it's like the one brand that has existed pretty much uninterrupted since the 70's with steady popularity.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8601 on: May 30, 2020, 06:47:29 AM »

New Indys don't look right, too shiny. I wouldn't say they look better, just different.

As far as buying stuff that isn't made in China, you're totally fine with buying goods that are made in a communist state that oppresses/kills/enslaves their own citizens but in the same breath you denounce the iron crosses? Double standard.

I and others would rather buy goods that are made in North America due to NAFTA. Mexico has a corrupt government but it isn't the totalitarian regime that is the People's Republic of China.

But anyways yeah you ride Tensors and Minilogos so that's an epic fail bro.

authentic_creed_bratton

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8602 on: May 30, 2020, 09:51:20 AM »
damn this guy knows what’s up, i guess i have to whittle my own trucks
🤙

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8603 on: May 30, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »

Ha. Found some thunders that were squirreled away, some broken feather lights etc, just random parts from the 90s....tossed everything. Should have taken pics. Those thunders in particular, but all of the old parts looked so crude in comparison. The hangers looked uneven. The whole truck looked like it was made out of wax, whittled. More respect to the folks really doing it back when: some equipment is way better now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8604 on: May 30, 2020, 10:34:32 AM »

;D ;D

Actually riding some partially 'made in the USA' Ventures right now, because variety in skating without brand fanboism is rad; you bag on brands because of name or image. You're shallow as fuck.

I and others would rather buy goods that are made in North America due to NAFTA. Mexico has a corrupt government but it isn't the totalitarian regime that is the People's Republic of China.

Says the hypocrite who rides ACE 55s by choice.  Preach brother. Preach.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:47:51 AM by Xen »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #8605 on: May 31, 2020, 08:52:24 AM »
Again, it is simply not hypocrisy to want the option of Made in the USA goods while using imports.

Kennet_h

• Rep: 0
« Reply #8606 on: May 31, 2020, 09:48:16 AM »
Will thunder standard 151 hanger, fit in forged 149 baseplate?

Crabby_Bastard

• Rep: 55
« Reply #8607 on: May 31, 2020, 11:57:41 AM »
Will thunder standard 151 hanger, fit in forged 149 baseplate?

Yes
How much for an order of ribs?

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
« Reply #8608 on: May 31, 2020, 08:10:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

;D ;D
Expand Quote

[close]

Actually riding some partially 'made in the USA' Ventures right now, because variety in skating without brand fanboism is rad; you bag on brands because of name or image. You're shallow as fuck.

Expand Quote

[close]

I was just giving you shit because you're a kook, I don't actually mind who rides those trucks.

Ace/Diamond is a small skater owned company that never produced their trucks stateside. Independent is the biggest truck mfg around and they pulled out of the USA by choice. Unless they pulled out because Ermico couldn't meet their numbers, there's really no excuse.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8609 on: May 31, 2020, 08:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

;D ;D
Expand Quote

[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I was just giving you shit because you're a kook, I don't actually mind who rides those trucks.

Ace/Diamond is a small skater owned company that never produced their trucks stateside. Independent is the biggest truck mfg around and they pulled out of the USA by choice. Unless they pulled out because Ermico couldn't meet their numbers, there's really no excuse.

Everyone's a fucking kook.

I wouldn't doubt that NHS (indy specifically) is losing mindshare, ACE has been making a huge dent in them over time (and theeve for those in the know)...Thunder of course is their biggest threat, now Venture is on the ups and eating more Indy mind/marketshare...then you have Tensors slowly getting a piece (they're really fucking good but haters will never know; they literally handle it all and the mags grind for days).