Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232303 times)

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8670 on: June 22, 2020, 09:21:44 AM »
Hi,

I just switched from independent to ace. I’m having a hard time with the bushings. I haven’t changed the factory tightness but the bushings keep jumping out of the washers, if that does make any sense. This makes the Trucks pretty much unskateable. They’re wobbling arround and lock in that crooked position.

Did anyone have the same issue?

Yep.  Multiple people have reported it - including me.  People say that they stiffen up and stop doing it - but I haven't tried. I just replace them.  Other folks say that the boardside bushing may need to be flipped - there is one side that is machined and one side that is not, so I guess that could theoretically matter.   The reality is that ACE just needs to provide slightly bigger washers.  I have thought about looking through my parts drawer to see if any other washers I have are bigger and could make them work - but I am just skating other bushings instead.

A while ago I measured a bunch of bottom bushings with calipers.  They were all between .53" and .55" - so you can run whatever.  Mini Logo, Bones, Indy, Thunder.....

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #8671 on: June 22, 2020, 10:21:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Hi,

I just switched from independent to ace. I’m having a hard time with the bushings. I haven’t changed the factory tightness but the bushings keep jumping out of the washers, if that does make any sense. This makes the Trucks pretty much unskateable. They’re wobbling arround and lock in that crooked position.

Did anyone have the same issue?
[close]

Yep.  Multiple people have reported it - including me.  People say that they stiffen up and stop doing it - but I haven't tried. I just replace them.  Other folks say that the boardside bushing may need to be flipped - there is one side that is machined and one side that is not, so I guess that could theoretically matter.   The reality is that ACE just needs to provide slightly bigger washers.  I have thought about looking through my parts drawer to see if any other washers I have are bigger and could make them work - but I am just skating other bushings instead.

A while ago I measured a bunch of bottom bushings with calipers.  They were all between .53" and .55" - so you can run whatever.  Mini Logo, Bones, Indy, Thunder.....

Was happening on my homies Aces yesterday, one truck the bottom bushing was bulging over the washer and on the other truck the top bushing was bulging out a bit. They’re pretty new and still breaking in, but would be annoying if that continues to happen.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8672 on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:03 AM »
Mine did that too when i started riding them. I just put it back in there, tightened my trucks little bit and loosened back when they were broken in. Also could try Indy washers, they might be little bigger(?)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8673 on: June 22, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »
Mine did that too when i started riding them. I just put it back in there, tightened my trucks little bit and loosened back when they were broken in. Also could try Indy washers, they might be little bigger(?)

The stock Indy washers will work as they have sort for a 'flange' cup VS. the ACE (or indy aftermarket cups), if you look at thunders (yes they are too small) they have the same \______/ - ACE and Indy after market are very 'cuppy' in comparison |_________|. I'm riding flat washers with the ACEs (but also a low top).

Skateandbones

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8674 on: June 22, 2020, 07:51:21 PM »
I'm new to skating and I have indy 149. The stock bushings felt very loose to me. I cranked them down and they got stuck when I'd ollie.I'm 199lbs so I think that is why. I ordered bones hard bushings.

That is my contribution to this thread.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #8675 on: June 23, 2020, 01:14:38 PM »
I'm new to skating and I have indy 149. The stock bushings felt very loose to me. I cranked them down and they got stuck when I'd ollie.I'm 199lbs so I think that is why. I ordered bones hard bushings.

I just put bones hards in my independent 144s and they feel perfect. You don't have to tighten the axle nut down to make them turn good. I weigh about 180.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8676 on: June 23, 2020, 02:40:34 PM »

I took this screenshot from Ronnie's ig story a while back and I'm wondering what top bushings are those. Im thinking bones maybe?

Maybe Indy grp hard cones
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

thelonelynow

« Reply #8677 on: June 23, 2020, 03:31:06 PM »

The older (pre-China) bushings were a bit softer and took a bit longer to break-in. The new ones are more firm and took me like just an hour or two to completely break-in. Whichever ones you have I would stick with the stock bushings for a bit. Do not crank them down right away! Skate them with the kingpin nut somewhere around flush with the top of the kingpin and just cruise around for a while, they should break-in relatively quick. Only after breaking them in would I do further tightening or loosening if needed. If you crank them down before they're broken in they're just going to get cuts in them from the washers and never feel right. If you have the older bushings, which are easily identifiable by having air bubbles or defects and excess urethane tags hanging onto the bottom edge you can get some Indy replacement bushings which are the same as the ones that come stock on the trucks now and are really good! I also recommend Riptide Pivot Cups, which will get rid of any pivot squeak and help re-center your trucks after turning. They make breaking in a new set of trucks a much smoother experience in my opinion. Hope that helps!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8678 on: June 23, 2020, 04:39:52 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The older (pre-China) bushings were a bit softer and took a bit longer to break-in. The new ones are more firm and took me like just an hour or two to completely break-in. Whichever ones you have I would stick with the stock bushings for a bit. Do not crank them down right away! Skate them with the kingpin nut somewhere around flush with the top of the kingpin and just cruise around for a while, they should break-in relatively quick. Only after breaking them in would I do further tightening or loosening if needed. If you crank them down before they're broken in they're just going to get cuts in them from the washers and never feel right. If you have the older bushings, which are easily identifiable by having air bubbles or defects and excess urethane tags hanging onto the bottom edge you can get some Indy replacement bushings which are the same as the ones that come stock on the trucks now and are really good! I also recommend Riptide Pivot Cups, which will get rid of any pivot squeak and help re-center your trucks after turning. They make breaking in a new set of trucks a much smoother experience in my opinion. Hope that helps!

I've a new set if 159s I've been skating Bushings seem ok, better than the old stocks but no clue if they are the same caliber as after markets (assuming not).  I cranked them down 1.5 turns before skating them (let them sit that way overnight) then loosened to flush on first skate (then loosened again). 90a is just too hard for my liking for new bushings (but they're great when they break in, I'm just lazy). I usually drop in 88a aftermarkets or bones softs on everything but thunders due to the tall bottom bushing....but I'm getting to the point where I'm like fuckit and just dropping in bones bottoms and giving no shits about the geo change

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 466
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8679 on: June 23, 2020, 04:55:59 PM »
i need to replace the bushings in my thunder 148s..they had the clear orange kind in them. which duro are those? which of their truck rebuild kits do i get?

also, with the past three sets of 148s i have noticed the part of the truck that goes into the pivot cup wiggles from side to side about a week after skating them. what are some good pivot cups i can get that will fit?
Stock Thunder bushings are 90a so either the red rebuild kit or the white or clear yellow tube.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8680 on: June 23, 2020, 10:01:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I've a new set if 159s I've been skating Bushings seem ok, better than the old stocks but no clue if they are the same caliber as after markets (assuming not).  I cranked them down 1.5 turns before skating them (let them sit that way overnight) then loosened to flush on first skate (then loosened again). 90a is just too hard for my liking for new bushings (but they're great when they break in, I'm just lazy). I usually drop in 88a aftermarkets or bones softs on everything but thunders due to the tall bottom bushing....but I'm getting to the point where I'm like fuckit and just dropping in bones bottoms and giving no shits about the geo change

I measured with calipers. Indy, thunder and bones are all the same height.

Ace (white out of a 66) : .53" tall
Mini Logo (Soft Green) : .53"
Thunder (red 90a aftermarket) : .55"
Indy (blue 92a conical) : .545"
Bones (black hard) : .55"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8681 on: June 23, 2020, 11:30:14 PM »
That's interesting in that I've heard bones don't work well in thunders, but others disagree....ill have to try it at some point. 

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #8682 on: June 24, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »
That's interesting in that I've heard bones don't work well in thunders, but others disagree....ill have to try it at some point.

Bones in Thunders = Bushings break after 1 week, if that.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8683 on: June 24, 2020, 09:59:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. Not sure what it is but same happens to me. Although I saw Dylan used bones in his and I believe Suciu does as well. Not sure what the setup is for them not to break i'd love to know.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #8684 on: June 24, 2020, 10:03:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep. Not sure what it is but same happens to me. Although I saw Dylan used bones in his and I believe Suciu does as well. Not sure what the setup is for them not to break i'd love to know.

I've had this happen to me as well when using medium and soft Bones bushings in a few different sets of Thunder (cast and forged plates).
They work great for about a week, then the bottom bushing inevitably smooshes in around the plastic insert.
Note: I haven't tried Bones hard bushings, so I can't confirm if the same thing happens there.

Thunder aftermarkets are the best replacement in Thunders IMO...

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8685 on: June 24, 2020, 10:19:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I've had this happen to me as well when using medium and soft Bones bushings in a few different sets of Thunder (cast and forged plates).
They work great for about a week, then the bottom bushing inevitably smooshes in around the plastic insert.
Note: I haven't tried Bones hard bushings, so I can't confirm if the same thing happens there.

Thunder aftermarkets are the best replacement in Thunders IMO...

For everyone having Thunder / Bones problems - are you ditching the bottom washer? 

The bushing is the same height as the Thunder, so the washer needs to stay.  I ran Bones in Thunder for a while and did not have issues.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 11:14:49 AM by backinaction »

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8686 on: June 24, 2020, 11:10:05 AM »

I have 149s on two set ups, one with Bones hards and the other with mediums. I’m a few pounds lighter than you.

I think the Hards will give you the stability you want without having to crank your trucks (I have them flush). If not, I’d try the Indy super hards. They are cheap so worth a try if you can track some down.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #8687 on: June 24, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »
I wish thunder sold those transparent ice blue bushings that come on their stock trucks like indy does with their orange ones. kinda split the top bushing on one of mine and don't want to replace them because it's gonna throw them off for me. really like the color of the bushings, just turned the bushing around a bit because I can't find them in that color, hoping it was just a freak thing because I'm really liking thunder.

really stupid but the color of the bushings is surprisingly more important to me than I thought. like having white bushings on my ventures was throwing me off, had to have purple ones. so fucking stupid, but dlx should put their bushings out like indy does.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #8688 on: June 24, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8689 on: June 24, 2020, 06:12:54 PM »

Krux 2020 incoming! :)

I'll give them shot - lame ugly hex pin tho, should have just gone with their DL pins (unless those are going to disappear).

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #8690 on: June 24, 2020, 07:07:49 PM »

Nice! If the turn has improved a lot then I’ll give them a shot for sure

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #8691 on: June 25, 2020, 04:47:15 AM »
those trucks look really good.

would putting a krux kingpin in a pair of thunders be a good move? i like the way it looks but how does it perform?
even the steven

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8692 on: June 25, 2020, 05:07:11 AM »

would putting a krux kingpin in a pair of thunders be a good move? i like the way it looks but how does it perform?

I've done it and it performed pretty good. Only thing is you may need to shave down the nut because mine stuck out from the baseplate just a little bit. They added a ton of clearance as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8693 on: June 25, 2020, 10:16:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've done it and it performed pretty good. Only thing is you may need to shave down the nut because mine stuck out from the baseplate just a little bit. They added a ton of clearance as well.

The current Krux DLK and cast Thunder plates work perfect; as noted above on forged plates the nut will stick out (down?) just a little bit, but will dig into the deck when you tighten your trucks and it doesn't cause an issue (it really only sticks out a small amount).

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #8694 on: June 25, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The current Krux DLK and cast Thunder plates work perfect; as noted above on forged plates the nut will stick out (down?) just a little bit, but will dig into the deck when you tighten your trucks and it doesn't cause an issue (it really only sticks out a small amount).

I tried running them in my last set of Thunders and it didn’t work out for me. They made a weird clicking sound when I pinched them that drove me crazy, and the baseplates didn’t hold the kingpin nut in place so I had to remove the trucks to tighten or loosen them. Your results may vary though, perhaps I fucked up installing them. I just file the kingpin down a bit with a metal file if doing a few feebles/smiths on a curb doesn’t take care of them.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8695 on: June 25, 2020, 07:51:57 PM »
whats the easiest truck to transition to from thunder? I see a lot of you go from indy to venture out indy to ace without issues. rarely hear anything about thunder on that front
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8696 on: June 25, 2020, 07:55:33 PM »

this is most likley the same kingpin as the the new indy mids.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8697 on: June 25, 2020, 08:46:59 PM »
whats the easiest truck to transition to from thunder? I see a lot of you go from indy to venture out indy to ace without issues. rarely hear anything about thunder on that front

I guess Ventures, or Tensor atgs actually. Why switch tho

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8698 on: June 25, 2020, 08:51:24 PM »
you ride 151s right? Tough to say honestly dude. 6.1s might be too beastly and 159s the same. I’m over here on 5.6 ventures for 6 months, favorite truck of my life so far lol.

I will say if I was going for a beast truck 8.5 or above I would rank it indy,ace,venture,thunder, & the rest in that order. Something about indy and ace over 8.5 axles seem to be godly. You get the stability of other brands with the wide hanger and the extra height makes up for bigger wheels and potentially more pop.

Depending on how much your thunders weigh you might want to reconsider everything I have mentioned. Pretty sure thunder has one of the lightest if not lightest “raw” 8.75 trucks.

If you go hollows or lights on your next truck we might need to rethink this thoroughly

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8699 on: June 25, 2020, 09:25:39 PM »
probably should have included that im not interested in switching off my 151 hollow/light variants bar random madness, just interested in the opinions
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo