Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232441 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8700 on: June 25, 2020, 10:41:48 PM »
Expand Quote
whats the easiest truck to transition to from thunder? I see a lot of you go from indy to venture out indy to ace without issues. rarely hear anything about thunder on that front
[close]

I guess Ventures, or Tensor atgs actually. Why switch tho

Tensor ATG, similar weight and WB extension as Thunder cast plates with less wheel rub during slides.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8701 on: June 25, 2020, 11:09:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
whats the easiest truck to transition to from thunder? I see a lot of you go from indy to venture out indy to ace without issues. rarely hear anything about thunder on that front
[close]

[close]

Tensor ATG, similar weight and WB extension as Thunder cast plates with less wheel rub during slides.
I would say Ventures. The height made Tensors feel more like Indy to me personally.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8702 on: June 25, 2020, 11:19:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I would say Ventures. The height made Tensors feel more like Indy to me personally.

I switched back and forth between GK and thunders mostly in the 90s. Was pretty similar in height and turn. The kp didn't break as much in the GK unless you're talking the Allen key hole closing up.

That was definitely the same turn almost. Maybe the disruptor is the same?

Maybe try the tracker darts. It's low and it turns better than the old Indy lows.

I'm into venture highs right now then Ace then thunders.

It's hard to buy a tracker and a GK they're not in shops out here.

I think like oddballs is the only place to score both
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 11:23:02 PM by Banned from the room »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

sketchyrider

« Reply #8703 on: June 26, 2020, 10:04:09 AM »
has anyone tried using standard indy hangars on the forged baseplates?

Paperclip20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8704 on: June 26, 2020, 10:09:31 AM »
has anyone tried using standard indy hangars on the forged baseplates?

I have, it works just fine they're the same shape, the forged are just thinner

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8705 on: June 26, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

ATGs are much more responsive than Indys.

The odd thing about them is they are decidedly neutral in every [good] way; great turn, light, great pop, stable on center, very little wheel bite, nice stock bushings, excellent build quality, warranty, etc., they're just 'missing' a tensor 'trait', i.e., they don't carve slow or fast, or have a short baseplate, extended or tighten the WB too much or too little...are not hard to mount to your board, aren't twitchy, loose, carvey, etc., they just skate well and do what you need them to do (and if  you get maglights, grinds for days and stupid, stupid light).

Honestly if they did a hollow aluminum truck I bet they'd get more traction.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 11:45:29 AM by Xen »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8706 on: June 26, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

ATGs are much more responsive than Indys.

The odd thing about them is they are decidedly neutral in every [good] way; great turn, light, great pop, stable on center, very little wheel bite, nice stock bushings, excellent build quality, warranty, etc., they're just 'missing' a tensor 'trait', i.e., they don't carve slow or fast, or have a short baseplate, extended or tighten the WB too much or too little...are not hard to mount to your board, aren't twitchy, loose, carvey, etc., they just skate well and do what you need them to do (and if  you get maglights, grinds for days and stupid, stupid light).

Honestly if they did a hollow aluminum truck I bet they'd get more traction.
I agree. That makes me like ATG's even more. no specific flaw.. do what you need them to. Like a good pair of shoes you forget about when you're wearing them. Just fit good, feel good.
Funny the 3 trucks I am riding now are ATG aluminum, Venture, and Indy.. but all different sizes so it is a bit trickier to pick out the exact differences in feel.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8707 on: June 27, 2020, 05:39:56 AM »
Does any of you guys ever change front and back trucks around? I got the idea to try it with my current pair of trucks and was curious to hear if anybody here does that on regular.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #8708 on: June 27, 2020, 06:21:46 AM »
Does any of you guys ever change front and back trucks around? I got the idea to try it with my current pair of trucks and was curious to hear if anybody here does that on regular.

I don’t do it regularly, but my front truck grooves a lot quicker than my back, so when i hit the bone on my front truck I’ll switch if it’s a set of trucks I really like and want to get the most from.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8709 on: June 27, 2020, 07:12:36 AM »
I've contemplated doing this too but just get new trucks instead...

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8710 on: June 27, 2020, 08:56:30 AM »

I do. Once I get to axle on the back, I switch them around. Creates some interesting grooves and prolongs truck life. I keep them both the same looseness so its fine on that front.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:19:22 AM by Frank and Fred »

Live Fast Johnny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #8711 on: June 27, 2020, 09:07:23 AM »

I have ridden Thunder Team Hollow II's 149's since the re-design and more or less love them.  Out of curiosity I tried some Venture V Lite Hollow 5.8's and found them really similar, even with the different baseplate.  Similar stability and control for me, being just a little bit more surfy, especially after a trick.

Conversely, the hardest to go to were some Films I tried a couple of months ago.  After they broke in they were just so turny that they made the board feel tiny and out of control all the time.  They were also really hard to get a pop out of for me.  Very well made, just not my thing.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8712 on: June 27, 2020, 02:00:09 PM »

Yup just hit axle on my front and didn't wanna retire these trucks anytime soon yet so did a lil switch up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 05:30:06 PM by tzhangdox »

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8713 on: June 27, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
Anyone know if yellow Doh-Doh’s fit well on Thunders ?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8714 on: June 27, 2020, 04:32:01 PM »

Only thunder (bottoms) really fit well in Thunders; No other bushings are as tall as Thunder bottoms, at least none that I have found.

Bones work well enough, plenty of pros do it (dylan did it). Two flat washer+bones is about the same height as sock thunder bottom w/cup washer. I ran bones softs in the thunders for a few month, skate great.

I'd image that when the thunder bottom flattens ou-t you can't notice.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8715 on: June 27, 2020, 04:37:13 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only thunder (bottoms) really fit well in Thunders; No other bushings are as tall as Thunder bottoms, at least none that I have found.

Bones work well enough, plenty of pros do it (dylan did it). Two flat washer+bones is about the same height as sock thunder bottom w/cup washer. I ran bones softs in the thunders for a few month, skate great.

I'd image that when the thunder bottom flattens ou-t you can't notice.
I’m running a Krux bushing on the bottom and stock Thunder (gold-ish) on top, and I really like it. I ride them medium-loose.

It’s just my local shop got a Doh Doh shipment in and I used to run them in all my truck set ups for about ten years... i just really like them.

At 205 lbs, i’m not the biggest fan of conical bushings, especially on Thunders... the wheelbite is out of this world.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8716 on: June 27, 2020, 04:57:35 PM »
Never had done it but sure I will, I'll just change the bushings.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #8717 on: June 27, 2020, 08:46:06 PM »
I literally just did because my trucks kept pulling to the right and it wasn't the bushings because they're brand new and the pivot cups and axles are fine. Plus they were mounted straight. It seems to have fixed the problem tho.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8718 on: June 28, 2020, 01:26:14 AM »
ace bottoms in thunders is my favorite bushing swap
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #8719 on: June 28, 2020, 02:04:24 AM »

the lows?
even the steven

thebaggy

• Rep: -14
« Reply #8720 on: June 28, 2020, 07:59:13 AM »

Nice. I gotta question. Currently skating 147 hangars on these 149 forged baseplates with medium indy bushings, sans bottom washer ( very comfortable ride, wheelbase feels a bit shortened ). I'm almost forced to skate small thunders due to ankle injuries and surgeries in the past, but I still cannot get over how shitty they grind on concrete sometimes, or how I'll just stick on tail slides while going fast. Fuckin back blunts feel easier most of the time.
  Question is regarding ventures, and whether or not they have that same flatline turn that thunders do...and if they grind better, perhaps like indys do?
Rotate your wheels regularly.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8721 on: June 28, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice. I gotta question. Currently skating 147 hangars on these 149 forged baseplates with medium indy bushings, sans bottom washer ( very comfortable ride, wheelbase feels a bit shortened ). I'm almost forced to skate small thunders due to ankle injuries and surgeries in the past, but I still cannot get over how shitty they grind on concrete sometimes, or how I'll just stick on tail slides while going fast. Fuckin back blunts feel easier most of the time.
  Question is regarding ventures, and whether or not they have that same flatline turn that thunders do...and if they grind better, perhaps like indys do?
Ventures def have harder grind than Indys and Thunders and i had trouble sometimes grinding with them if i didn't wax. Turn also isn't as sharp.

thebaggy

« Reply #8722 on: June 28, 2020, 08:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Ventures def have harder grind than Indys and Thunders and i had trouble sometimes grinding with them if i didn't wax. Turn also isn't as sharp.

Damn ok. I appreciate the intel. Would be nice to have a quick low truck with soft ass metal ala ACE

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8723 on: June 28, 2020, 08:17:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Damn ok. I appreciate the intel. Would be nice to have a quick low truck with soft ass metal ala ACE
Ace lows maybe? I don't have any experiences with them tho

thebaggy

« Reply #8724 on: June 28, 2020, 08:18:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

This is a revelation to me. Might be the answer. Dudnt even know ace made a low truck

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8725 on: June 28, 2020, 10:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This is a revelation to me. Might be the answer. Dudnt even know ace made a low truck

Someone (@Tom) has been skating some 03s (8" lows) and has posted them in the setup thread. Also FWIW standard Ace are only 52mm tall, so lower than Indys or cast Ventures (same height as the forged his tho).

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8726 on: June 28, 2020, 11:04:12 AM »
I want ace lows just because I want all of the trucks.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8727 on: June 28, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »
Ace lows are nice. My homie dayo has them on his get around.

Outstanding turn.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8728 on: June 28, 2020, 12:44:17 PM »
I want ace lows just because I want all of the trucks.
Gotta catch 'em all

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8729 on: June 28, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the lows?
classics. almost the same height as the stock thunder bottoms
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo