Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232101 times)

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 117
  • evensteven
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8760 on: July 03, 2020, 05:29:46 PM »
for fun last night i loosened the shit out of my trucks after throwing in some red thunder bushings with the top washer gone. like click clack loose. i like it because it shows you where to put your feet properly and it feels like you become one with the board
even the steven

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #8761 on: July 03, 2020, 07:12:29 PM »
After 3 years of riding Ventures, I think my Thunder 148's have been promoted to my main set-up.

They feel damn good.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #8762 on: July 03, 2020, 10:16:50 PM »
the thunder bushings i ordered really suck. very stiff for 90a

i need some good bushings. i ride thunder 148 with the bolt barely fitting on
even the steven

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8763 on: July 03, 2020, 10:47:11 PM »

Would low bushings fit in Thunder? Something like a conical low?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #8764 on: July 04, 2020, 03:32:55 AM »
So, i had thought...firstly I dont ride switch, so take that into consideration when reading through this thought

Has anyone tried putting heavier truck on the nose side and lighter on the tail side? The concept being it take more effort to lift the front, but you get more force and when they go up the tail will follow easily because its lighter...theoretically higher pop?

I remember back in the late 80’s we use to experiment with having higher risers on tail than on the nose to increase pop...which never felt right...but did help...so i guess this similar idea

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #8765 on: July 04, 2020, 10:51:55 AM »
So, i had thought...firstly I dont ride switch, so take that into consideration when reading through this thought

Has anyone tried putting heavier truck on the nose side and lighter on the tail side? The concept being it take more effort to lift the front, but you get more force and when they go up the tail will follow easily because its lighter...theoretically higher pop?

I remember back in the late 80’s we use to experiment with having higher risers on tail than on the nose to increase pop...which never felt right...but did help...so i guess this similar idea

On my shaped board I have standard in the front and hollow on the back. Accidentally mixed it up at the shop and grabbed the wrong one so I’ve just been running it. I don’t mind losing a couple grams in the back, especially on shaped decks. Would probably irk me if it was my everyday popsicle deck though.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8766 on: July 04, 2020, 10:54:48 AM »

I ride Independent super soft bushings in my thunders, the white ones with the barrel bottom. Super loose.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #8767 on: July 04, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I ride Independent super soft bushings in my thunders, the white ones with the barrel bottom. Super loose.

ironic, i have a set of those from when i got my ex a board. i was yrying to use them but the bottom bushing doesnt fit into the washer. do you go washer-less?
even the steven

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #8768 on: July 06, 2020, 03:44:36 PM »
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
Stock bushings, but top bushings on top and boardside
three washers on the inside of each wheel to push the wheels out
52 mm wheels.

Timestamp: 11:27
https://youtu.be/JFJ1F_xGNPU?t=687

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8769 on: July 06, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8770 on: July 06, 2020, 06:02:51 PM »
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

at that point why not ride 148s? i might try it out to see where the wheels sit in comparison
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Fat Tire

« Reply #8771 on: July 06, 2020, 06:14:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

ironic, i have a set of those from when i got my ex a board. i was yrying to use them but the bottom bushing doesnt fit into the washer. do you go washer-less?

I use the washers that came with the aftermarket Indy bushings. They fit perfectly, the nut is flush with the kinpin.

Juanjo789

« Reply #8772 on: July 07, 2020, 05:30:29 AM »
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

doea he use bushing washers or nah
i got a friend that does this w/o washers on indys and his trucks are woobly as shit

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8773 on: July 07, 2020, 12:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

[close]
at that point why not ride 148s? i might try it out to see where the wheels sit in comparison

For reals. Not sure about the two top bushings tho lol -  I did for the hell of it and holy shit so much kingpin showing and geo is waaay off, like a stupidly low thunder lol

Expand Quote
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

[close]
doea he use bushing washers or nah
i got a friend that does this w/o washers on indys and his trucks are woobly as shit

He notes using two small (top) washers - no idea if he means two total per truck or just two small as bottoms
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 01:30:58 PM by Xen »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8774 on: July 07, 2020, 01:57:58 PM »
For reals. Not sure about the two top bushings tho lol -  I did for the hell of it and holy shit so much kingpin showing and geo is waaay off, like a stupidly low thunder lol

I have an extra 8.3 twin tail, some 147 hollow lights and some 52 spit classics.  Maybe I'll get bored and try his setup. (although he didn't mention if he did forged or cast baseplates)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8775 on: July 07, 2020, 02:08:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have an extra 8.3 twin tail, some 147 hollow lights and some 52 spit classics.  Maybe I'll get bored and try his setup. (although he didn't mention if he did forged or cast baseplates)

Ha, I do too! Tho I would need to move my thunders over...8" on an 8.38" I can't do the [old] Reynolds/Ellington magic carpets.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 02:45:42 PM by Xen »

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8776 on: July 07, 2020, 03:05:41 PM »
Just put an initial 45 minutes of sharp turns and slap grinds on new Thunder 161s. I have them with stock bushings and factory tightness and am really surprised by how well they turn, though they’re a bit loose for me (got pitched a couple times from wheel bite). Do the bushings harden up after a while, or should I go ahead and tighten them down? Just want to do the correct thing to make these bushings last. I love the cough syrup blue color...

Fat Tire

« Reply #8777 on: July 07, 2020, 05:28:54 PM »
Just put an initial 45 minutes of sharp turns and slap grinds on new Thunder 161s. I have them with stock bushings and factory tightness and am really surprised by how well they turn, though they’re a bit loose for me (got pitched a couple times from wheel bite). Do the bushings harden up after a while, or should I go ahead and tighten them down? Just want to do the correct thing to make these bushings last. I love the cough syrup blue color...

they tighten up just keep skating them

babywantsbluevelvet

• Rep: 36
« Reply #8778 on: July 07, 2020, 05:50:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they tighten up just keep skating them

Thanks, I’ll just take it easy until they do

lysdexia

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8779 on: July 07, 2020, 07:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

[close]

i think 147s are lower than 148s and up?  that's about the only reason i could imagine doing that

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8780 on: July 07, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

[close]
[close]

i think 147s are lower than 148s and up?  that's about the only reason i could imagine doing that
It’s so the nut is flush and he can continue to use his trucks without the need to rethread.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8781 on: July 07, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

[close]
[close]

[close]
It’s so the nut is flush and he can continue to use his trucks without the need to rethread.

BIA: thanks for this gem. Ishod is the best. I for sure want to try this, because Ishod. It’s always way too interesting for me to hear/see a pro talk about their setup, and this was some next level shit. I’m pretty shocked, he says he’s been doing this for awhile, looking at his footage I always thought he was on 149s. Busenitz did 147s for awhile, but his setups looked like that.
I believe ishod does this setup because 147s sit different/lower than the rest of thunders larger sizes. I didn’t catch what wheel he said. Doesn’t grant Taylor only use like 52 wheel?
I wouldn’t be surprised, at all, if it turns out he was skating 148s. Tons of rippers and a few pros seemingly don’t know the name/specs of their equipment, which is both rad/weird to me. He was sounding like a bit of an equipment nerd tho, and he’s obviously tried some shit....the amount of folks saying bolt, when they mean nut is wild to me.

Juanjo789

« Reply #8782 on: July 07, 2020, 09:49:57 PM »
Im riding Ace 44 w/o the top washer and with 1/8 risers with worn down 56 conical full
 Recently went from 14.75 to 14.25 wb but it hasnt been too bad. Its fun to skate but Im wobbling when trying to ollie while cruising downhill I could tighten them but I got nothing to lose so I might as well try and get used to it

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8783 on: July 08, 2020, 04:43:36 AM »
Stock ace 44's cleared my madness. They just work for me and the lowish height plus mellow pop is everything I need. I really tried ventures for awhile but the height on the highs is too much.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #8784 on: July 08, 2020, 12:18:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ishod Wair:

Thunder 147s (on an 8.3)
52 mm wheels.

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

BIA: thanks for this gem. Ishod is the best. I for sure want to try this, because Ishod. It’s always way too interesting for me to hear/see a pro talk about their setup, and this was some next level shit. I’m pretty shocked, he says he’s been doing this for awhile, looking at his footage I always thought he was on 149s. Busenitz did 147s for awhile, but his setups looked like that.
I believe ishod does this setup because 147s sit different/lower than the rest of thunders larger sizes. I didn’t catch what wheel he said. Doesn’t grant Taylor only use like 52 wheel?
I wouldn’t be surprised, at all, if it turns out he was skating 148s. Tons of rippers and a few pros seemingly don’t know the name/specs of their equipment, which is both rad/weird to me. He was sounding like a bit of an equipment nerd tho, and he’s obviously tried some shit....the amount of folks saying bolt, when they mean nut is wild to me.

He said he used to skate 149s... put on 147s because he wanted to skate this rail against a wall without having the axles scraping the wall, but never got around to skating that rail lol.

Cindaykook

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8785 on: July 09, 2020, 01:49:29 PM »
Doing the opposite of Ishod. I’ve been running Indy 144 titanium’s on a 8.125. I’ve been liking it pretty well. Have a little more wheel poking out which makes grinds feel easier. But I land primo way more often.

WoodRat

• Rep: 5
« Reply #8786 on: July 09, 2020, 03:10:52 PM »
Thunder 147 Hallows with Bones Med. no washers.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8787 on: July 09, 2020, 04:51:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Odd setup I threw together last second today to get an extra board out to the park. Indy 149 with khiro 95a cylinder with no bottom washer, and a broken in orange indy small cone with a washer. I weigh around 225, but it felt tight truck stable until I decided to start carving hair-pin figure 8's!

I usually ride super loose rattley Daewon style with khiro 95a hard core cones, but the stability felt cool while still having the insane quick turn ability.
[close]

Does it return to center without a bottom washer?
[close]

So far, yes. It's already starting to mold around the plate, though, so I'm thinking it's not gonna work long term. I'm all for bottom washer if I can make it fit. I've tried longer kingpins and don't like losing the clearance. Should I shave off some of the cylinder bottom bushing?

Try a bottle cap
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8788 on: July 09, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »
someone please help me. I got a pair of thunder 147’s about 3 months ago, they felt great off the rip. after breaking them in, they wouldn’t turn, bushings felt rock hard. then I got a pair of thunder 145’s about a month ago, felt great at first, after breaking them in they too wouldn’t turn!! what the fuck.
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #8789 on: July 10, 2020, 03:47:44 AM »
ok so i have indys cause i focused my theeves (which i liked more) and im sorta over it cause they cant really tighten down enough to my liking so i get wheelbite 24/7, and im thinking of impulse buying either some krux or aces, if anybody has any opinions or comments on the matter im open to it.