Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231372 times)

Crabby_Bastard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 55
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8820 on: July 20, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
Anyone ever do the magic carpet ride? I like riding big boards, but the obvious is that they are a lil more difficult to flip around. After listening to Ishod's Stop n chat board discussion, been thinking about trying Thunder 148s on an 8.5. Thinkin about making it "tippier" in his words, might help get that board flickin around easier.

Biggest thing in my way is SW hasn't gotten a new shipment in what seems like over a month. Hoping they do soon. Otherwise, I'm gonna just be thinking about it, and bullshitting myself on this forum about it till they get restocked.

My biggest concern is for grinds, but might be more fun to learn shit. Maybe it's what I've needed in these past 15+ years.

I ride Thunder 148s on an 8.5 albeit the AH Classic Eagle 8.5 which is a bit smaller and tapers toward the back. I like them much more than 149s on that shape. Perfect combo IMO.
How much for an order of ribs?

oldbummer

• Rep: -25
« Reply #8821 on: July 20, 2020, 10:35:34 PM »
Here is one on the 96 bushings

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #8822 on: July 20, 2020, 11:43:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Anyone ever do the magic carpet ride? I like riding big boards, but the obvious is that they are a lil more difficult to flip around. After listening to Ishod's Stop n chat board discussion, been thinking about trying Thunder 148s on an 8.5. Thinkin about making it "tippier" in his words, might help get that board flickin around easier.

Biggest thing in my way is SW hasn't gotten a new shipment in what seems like over a month. Hoping they do soon. Otherwise, I'm gonna just be thinking about it, and bullshitting myself on this forum about it till they get restocked.

My biggest concern is for grinds, but might be more fun to learn shit. Maybe it's what I've needed in these past 15+ years.
[close]
or you could skip SW and support a real skate shop and grab those 148s right now and stop thinking about it, just sayin.

They are the only skate shop in my town. It's either them or a surf shop, and I don't think the surf shop carries them (I live where SW is located). Thanks for the sass tho :-*
The chillest1

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #8823 on: July 21, 2020, 01:45:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
or you could skip SW and support a real skate shop and grab those 148s right now and stop thinking about it, just sayin.
[close]

They are the only skate shop in my town. It's either them or a surf shop, and I don't think the surf shop carries them (I live where SW is located). Thanks for the sass tho :-*
How about ordering them online from legit shop? I don’t fuck with only shop in my town (personal beef with owner) so I have to order everything online.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8824 on: July 21, 2020, 03:47:59 AM »
Not Trucks but years back I read something about making your own base plates with polycarbonate and I had some laying around the house. The idea is that because PC is very hard it should not deaden Your board as much.

Update: After riding around I can say that these have more pop than any other plastic risers I’ve used. Adds 2 mm .

What did you use to cut them?

Please keep us updated if they last or break.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #8825 on: July 21, 2020, 06:01:59 AM »
^I used a jig saw for the outside. Drill bit for the holes. And a hole saw to remove some weight.

Having worked with polycarbonate in my job I can tell you that the risers will last forever. It’s used to bullet proof glass, so there are no impact issues. I’m glad I did it cause regular risers dead your shit greatly while I can’t tell if PC risers do at all.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • &#633;&#477;&#652;&#477;&#633;o&#607; llo&#7450;
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8826 on: July 21, 2020, 06:08:53 AM »

When I started skating 8.5 I had 139, I was coming from 8.125, and things worked great but I'm too maniac and the fact that the trucks weren't matching the board made size up for 149.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #8827 on: July 21, 2020, 08:21:57 AM »
^I used a jig saw for the outside. Drill bit for the holes. And a hole saw to remove some weight.

Having worked with polycarbonate in my job I can tell you that the risers will last forever. It’s used to bullet proof glass, so there are no impact issues. I’m glad I did it cause regular risers dead your shit greatly while I can’t tell if PC risers do at all.
If you have extra polycarbonate and could either send it or make another set, I'll buy them. I'm curious about this.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8828 on: July 21, 2020, 08:28:41 AM »

Currently running magic carpet on both my setups:

Venture 5.2 low on an 8.25 and Ace 44s on a 8.875 shaped. I prefer it to hotrodding. I do a lot of slappies on both and it has never messed me up at all. Can't say if it's helped my flip tricks (mostly heels and shitty varial heels) but it certainly hasn't hurt them.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #8829 on: July 21, 2020, 08:52:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
If you have extra polycarbonate and could either send it or make another set, I'll buy them. I'm curious about this.

I second this
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

slutonparade

• Rep: 26
« Reply #8830 on: July 21, 2020, 09:20:02 AM »

Got these boys ready to go on an 8.5 AH Classic Eagle later

149mm Independent Forged Ti
Med/Hard 92a Conical
Riptide pivot cups

Should be fun

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8831 on: July 21, 2020, 09:35:58 AM »
Andrew Reynolds got some sneak peeks of the new "MIndys" on his instagram story. There's several pictures on his story

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #8832 on: July 21, 2020, 09:39:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I ride Thunder 148s on an 8.5 albeit the AH Classic Eagle 8.5 which is a bit smaller and tapers toward the back. I like them much more than 149s on that shape. Perfect combo IMO.

This is exactly what I ride and I will never switch. Finally solved my board madness.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #8833 on: July 21, 2020, 10:42:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I second this

I have enough material left over to make 4 sets. Since I have the process and the template I am fine with making base plates with the material I have left. I’ll have it done before the end of next week and send out FOC. I also can’t remember my Pay Pal account and for $10 a set and shipping it’s not worth it. I’ll let you know when the sets are complete: young jugg, oneOone, Frothy and MNINJ get 1st dibs

oneOone

« Reply #8834 on: July 21, 2020, 10:48:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I second this
[close]

I have enough material left over to make 4 sets. Since I have the process and the template I am fine with making base plates with the material I have left. I’ll have it done before the end of next week and send out FOC. I also can’t remember my Pay Pal account and for $10 a set and shipping it’s not worth it. I’ll let you know when the sets are complete: young jugg, oneOone, Frothy and MNINJ get 1st dibs

Thanks for the offer, I am in Europe so shipping is not reasonable I guess.

I'll try to make them, most likely without the inner hole as I do not have the tool for it.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #8835 on: July 21, 2020, 12:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I second this
[close]

Hell yeah thanks dude, keep us updated!

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8836 on: July 21, 2020, 12:56:36 PM »
Anyone running Bones mediums on Thunders, or have experiences with it?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8837 on: July 21, 2020, 01:10:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Venture 5.2 low on an 8.25 and Ace 44s on a 8.875 shaped. I prefer it to hotrodding. I do a lot of slappies on both and it has never messed me up at all. Can't say if it's helped my flip tricks (mostly heels and shitty varial heels) but it certainly hasn't hurt them.

5.2 lo on 8.25 is hot. Overhang works the best for me.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8838 on: July 21, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I like it, doesn't look or feel weird to me at all.

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #8839 on: July 21, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »
Med/Hard 92a Conical

my favorite bushings!

i'm 175lbs and like to ride my trucks medium-loose

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8840 on: July 21, 2020, 01:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I like it, doesn't look or feel weird to me at all.

Plus flips decently, in my experience. If I get too self conscious about my baby board that’ll be the move for me

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8841 on: July 22, 2020, 01:05:19 AM »

Bump!!

I also wanna know. Busy breaking in some 148 teams. Great truck but cant get it loose enough to my liking. Dont get me wrong i like it a lot but if i HAVE to change the bushings will bones meds make them more turney? Heard all kinds of shit with bones changing geo etc what your take?

My madness is telling me just leave them stock, great truck either way.

However if they go much stiffer i might maybe just have to.

oneOone

« Reply #8842 on: July 22, 2020, 02:55:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bump!!

I also wanna know. Busy breaking in some 148 teams. Great truck but cant get it loose enough to my liking. Dont get me wrong i like it a lot but if i HAVE to change the bushings will bones meds make them more turney? Heard all kinds of shit with bones changing geo etc what your take?

I do Bones hards or medium in my 147 TI, sometomes they only last like half a hear for me but I deal with it, no washers.

If you fear geometrical changes you can keep the stock bottom washer and bushing.

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8843 on: July 22, 2020, 04:16:07 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote
[close]

Bump!!

[close]

I do Bones hards or medium in my 147 TI, sometomes they only last like half a hear for me but I deal with it, no washers.

If you fear geometrical changes you can keep the stock bottom washer and bushing.
Are the stock bushings same size for 147 and bigger trucks since the bigger ones are also higher? Nothing against how stock bushings feel but they tend to break really fast for me.

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8844 on: July 22, 2020, 10:40:27 AM »
In my thunder 149 teams I just swapped the top washer on both of them for a bones flat washer. I really like the turn of ace, and have found this little thing to make my thunders super surfy.

BL0B

• Rep: 414
« Reply #8845 on: July 22, 2020, 01:52:55 PM »
Bump!!

In my thunder 149 teams I just swapped the top washer on both of them for a bones flat washer. I really like the turn of ace, and have found this little thing to make my thunders super surfy.

MalHuis, try a flat washer ^ or no top washer at all. flat washers work great on Thunders and Ventures.

MalHuis

• Rep: 4
« Reply #8846 on: July 22, 2020, 11:59:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Bump!!

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

MalHuis, try a flat washer ^ or no top washer at all. flat washers work great on Thunders and Ventures.

There we go, here is the insight i was looking for. Thanks gentleman! Will do the top washer and see the difference it makes and report back. Either this or will go full person and go bones :)

So the madness starts with the Thunders!!

KushBush

• Rep: 2
« Reply #8847 on: July 23, 2020, 10:04:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

There we go, here is the insight i was looking for. Thanks gentleman! Will do the top washer and see the difference it makes and report back. Either this or will go full person and go bones :)

I’d also like to add that I only weigh 120lbs, and had trouble with thunders feeling too tight (especially coming from ace). But with trading the stock top for a flat top washer it made a noticeable difference.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8848 on: July 23, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’d also like to add that I only weigh 120lbs, and had trouble with thunders feeling too tight (especially coming from ace). But with trading the stock top for a flat top washer it made a noticeable difference.

I'm running some 147s with those sleeved flat washers (which are a couple hairs thicker than normal) + Indy aftermarket 88a conicals, feels great and can't see/feel any difference in geo at all.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8849 on: July 23, 2020, 02:44:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm running some 147s with those sleeved flat washers (which are a couple hairs thicker than normal) + Indy aftermarket 88a conicals, feels great and can't see/feel any difference in geo at all.

8.125”? 8.25”? What are you using the 147s with? After that Ishod talk I put some 147s on an 8.38, with the spaced out washers. Haven’t had a chance to skate tho. I think boards that big just aren’t for me. Slow learner. But the overall vibe/idea, would probably do ok if I did 145s on like 7.9. Baby board