Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231941 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8880 on: August 01, 2020, 10:18:35 AM »

Seems like both Krux and Indy inverted kingpins are the same.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

RoadSodas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #8881 on: August 01, 2020, 05:39:22 PM »

169s w/ Bones Mediums on an Anti Hero 8.38 FULL

Normally skate 8.5s and 159s, but my truck with my board was stolen a few years back and wanted to try these bigger trucks when it came time to buy new shit. Then i have some Ace 44s so decided i'd downsize but theyre just too small of trucks for what i like, so i decided im gonna slap these big bad mother fuckers on this.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #8882 on: August 01, 2020, 06:02:12 PM »
I read/heard recently a pro was using 2 top bushings on Indy trucks, reducing the height and helping the turn...has anyone tried this?

Seems to me the geometry would change a lot and the kingpin would he too exposed as youd have screw down the bolt more...

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8883 on: August 02, 2020, 04:35:27 AM »
Not worth starting a thread over but I'm starting to succumb  to truck madness. Currently on 5.8 ventutes but have a pair of 149 Indy hollows. Is the general idea ventures extend WB and work better on mellow kicks/more fingers of flat while Indy's shorten WB and are better for steep kicks/less fingers of flat?
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

sadnocomply

• Rep: 137
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #8884 on: August 02, 2020, 06:46:10 AM »
Not worth starting a thread over but I'm starting to succumb  to truck madness. Currently on 5.8 ventutes but have a pair of 149 Indy hollows. Is the general idea ventures extend WB and work better on mellow kicks/more fingers of flat while Indy's shorten WB and are better for steep kicks/less fingers of flat?
in theory yes but everyone has their own preference

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8885 on: August 02, 2020, 07:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm about to set up a polar with a 14.5 WB and 2 fingers of flat so I'm torn between my broken in ventures or putting the Indy's back on.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8886 on: August 02, 2020, 07:23:49 AM »

I was listening to a podcast where Alex White lead on to them being different but I could see it happening. 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8887 on: August 02, 2020, 07:47:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I'm about to set up a polar with a 14.5 WB and 2 fingers of flat so I'm torn between my broken in ventures or putting the Indy's back on.

Every time I've gone down the rabbit hole of changing trucks because of moving to a different deck shape I've regretted it. It's way easier to get used to a different  shape than an different set of trucks.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8888 on: August 02, 2020, 08:48:49 AM »

So shes the reason there are kittens, jellybeans, hotdogs, faux fur, woodgrain and such all over Krux....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8889 on: August 02, 2020, 08:50:58 AM »
Expand Quote

Been a while since I was on Indy TI (not since they've moved production to China), guess they are screening under the hanger now?

144s
88a Supercush
Riptides (force of habit these days - the stock cups seemed pretty nice, squishy, not that cheap hard shit)
Muir washers (I love these things)
Ti nuts all around
[close]

Just a sidenote if you want softer pivot cups and don't want to pay $15, you can get khiro softs for like $1. They fit fine in indys (a little overlap but you can trim that if you want to make it a pain in the ass to remove them in the future), venture, and every other truck I've tried them in. Just beware that Khiro is out of business so whats on the market now is all that there's going to be, so I'd suggest stocking up if you like them.

Ran khiros forever like 10 years ago...sad they went out of biz.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1483
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8890 on: August 02, 2020, 10:03:33 AM »
I bought two of those tackle boxes full of khiro product back in the day. I still have some pivot cups luckily. It's probably why I haven't bought the riptides.

I knew the guy behind khiro passed, but I didn't know that they shut it down.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8891 on: August 02, 2020, 11:37:07 AM »
where can i get a set of small ass trucks? smaller than the indy 109s

i am having trouble finding some small trucks for a old school carving type board. i have hangars but no baseplates

https://www.tactics.com/ace/00-hi-skateboard-trucks/polished-silver

sketchyrider

« Reply #8892 on: August 02, 2020, 01:04:29 PM »
I bought two of those tackle boxes full of khiro product back in the day. I still have some pivot cups luckily. It's probably why I haven't bought the riptides.

I knew the guy behind khiro passed, but I didn't know that they shut it down.

i noticed that it was shut down, but didn't know why, that's really sad.

it was a bit more of a longboard focused company, but they made bushings and risers of like every shape and urethane duro, back when there weren't a lot of options for that sort of thing. shame to watch em go.

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #8893 on: August 02, 2020, 03:07:03 PM »
anybody ride standard thunder 147's, or any size with the same height, with 56+mm wheels?

the madness is real right now. debating going from indy ti 139 to standard 139 for ridiculous reasons.
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

troy

• Rep: -2
« Reply #8894 on: August 02, 2020, 03:07:50 PM »
Needle nose pliers work well to remove a pivot cup. Does anyone know what the dimensions are for venture low bushings? Like how tall each bushing is?

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8895 on: August 02, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »
anybody ride standard thunder 147's, or any size with the same height, with 56+mm wheels?

the madness is real right now. debating going from indy ti 139 to standard 139 for ridiculous reasons.

I can’t imagine 147s on more than 54, I wouldn’t ride 53s....

Try a small riser with your indy ti first.
Why 56?

Shagohod

• Rep: 6
  • la li lu le lo
« Reply #8896 on: August 02, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Why 56?

i was thinking the same thing. gonna hunt down some 54mm clouds then. but 56 because I have two sets of clouds, both 56mm. one set 86a chrome, other 78a. got them to make these crusty streets a little better while my old ass back gets unfucked lol. and i have a box with a variety of 8" axle trucks I've accumulated. so been messing around with deck wheelbase, truck/wheel combos and trying to find that sweet spot for what i do. and what i do is trash hah
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #8897 on: August 02, 2020, 04:06:11 PM »
Because of the "what was your setup on your best day" I feel like trying some 5.6 on a 8.5 board. Years ago I skated the best in years on a 8?5 with 8" theeve
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #8898 on: August 02, 2020, 04:17:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Why 56?
[close]

i was thinking the same thing. gonna hunt down some 54mm clouds then. but 56 because I have two sets of clouds, both 56mm. one set 86a chrome, other 78a. got them to make these crusty streets a little better while my old ass back gets unfucked lol. and i have a box with a variety of 8" axle trucks I've accumulated. so been messing around with deck wheelbase, truck/wheel combos and trying to find that sweet spot for what i do. and what i do is trash hah

8” trucks are great.
I’d just stick with what you have. Use risers. Especially for a cruiser ish type getting back into it. I mean buy more shit from a cool shop, for sure, but.....nah. Spend some money on a massage or yoga lessons or some shit for your back. Back pain is fucked. No position is safe and comfortable (as you know). Cruising wheels will wear down. I’ve got 56 keyframes (so basically the same) and on my Regular 159s I get horrific wheel bite. Ace trucks don’t wheelbite as much for me. Thunders are awesome to skate, but I get wheelbite too much for me to want to use them as a cruiser with big wheels.
I’m rambling per usual. I’d just make do, particularly when injured.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8899 on: August 03, 2020, 02:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Bump!!

I also wanna know. Busy breaking in some 148 teams. Great truck but cant get it loose enough to my liking. Dont get me wrong i like it a lot but if i HAVE to change the bushings will bones meds make them more turney? Heard all kinds of shit with bones changing geo etc what your take?

My madness is telling me just leave them stock, great truck either way.

However if they go much stiffer i might maybe just have to.
[close]

Expand Quote
In my thunder 149 teams I just swapped the top washer on both of them for a bones flat washer. I really like the turn of ace, and have found this little thing to make my thunders super surfy.
[close]

MalHuis, try a flat washer ^ or no top washer at all. flat washers work great on Thunders and Ventures.
[close]

There we go, here is the insight i was looking for. Thanks gentleman! Will do the top washer and see the difference it makes and report back. Either this or will go full person and go bones :)

So the madness starts with the Thunders!!
[close]

I’d also like to add that I only weigh 120lbs, and had trouble with thunders feeling too tight (especially coming from ace). But with trading the stock top for a flat top washer it made a noticeable difference.

Little bit.

Just flip your kingpin nut upside down. The nylock will be on the inside giving you extra threads but if it doesn't get a bite into the metal it may fall off.
Make sure you thread it right into the metal then grind down the edge
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #8900 on: August 03, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »

wtf is up with how those wheels sound

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #8901 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:03 PM »
Got my new ti indy’s in my car, got crazy hot all day so I’m sure the bushings got soft. That gonna help break them in?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8902 on: August 04, 2020, 07:47:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What do you mean?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #8903 on: August 05, 2020, 12:49:47 AM »
Needle nose pliers work well to remove a pivot cup. Does anyone know what the dimensions are for venture low bushings? Like how tall each bushing is?

They're the same as all venture bushings, the lows aren't any different. I know the bottoms are 12.7mm, can't remember the tops off-hand and I don't have a set close by to check but I want to say 9.2mm or thereabouts.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #8904 on: August 05, 2020, 05:14:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It's just a shitty mic.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8905 on: August 05, 2020, 05:24:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're the same as all venture bushings, the lows aren't any different. I know the bottoms are 12.7mm, can't remember the tops off-hand and I don't have a set close by to check but I want to say 9.2mm or thereabouts.

I hear this BUT I've always thought they looked lower and when I was swapping out a set of lows recently I saw the bottom barrel is slightly shorter and had to sand a set of supercush to make them the same height. I'll measure and take pics when I get home from work.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #8906 on: August 05, 2020, 06:40:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I hear this BUT I've always thought they looked lower and when I was swapping out a set of lows recently I saw the bottom barrel is slightly shorter and had to sand a set of supercush to make them the same height. I'll measure and take pics when I get home from work.

I emailed them about it a while back and they said they're all the same size and duro. Also on another forum someone said they've seen the assembly room and they pull them all from the same bins regardless of the truck, the only thing that changes is the color. I wouldn't doubt that you may have had some aftermarket ones that were weird, but as far as the straight stock ones go there shouldnt be any difference.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8907 on: August 05, 2020, 07:32:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I emailed them about it a while back and they said they're all the same size and duro. Also on another forum someone said they've seen the assembly room and they pull them all from the same bins regardless of the truck, the only thing that changes is the color. I wouldn't doubt that you may have had some aftermarket ones that were weird, but as far as the straight stock ones go there shouldnt be any difference.

I know, I've heard the same things but I'm not talking about aftermarket. I swear, stocks from highs and lows side by side, the barrels for the lows are like 1-2mm shorter. The only after markets I've used in lows (supercush) needed to be shaved down.

Pics as soon as I get home, and if I'm wrong I'll fully admit in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8908 on: August 05, 2020, 07:39:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I know, I've heard the same things but I'm not talking about aftermarket. I swear, stocks from highs and lows side by side, the barrels for the lows are like 1-2mm shorter. The only after markets I've used in lows (supercush) needed to be shaved down.

Pics as soon as I get home, and if I'm wrong I'll fully admit in.

It may have changed since the move to China, but stock indy bottoms were a 1/2mm taller than after market barrels (with aftermarket conical being stock height). Tops were the same. Essentially the aftermarket 'standards' were damn close to low bottoms.

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #8909 on: August 05, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

It's just a shitty mic.
right then buy a set of rictas and let me know how much you love the way they sound and slide