Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232634 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #8910 on: August 05, 2020, 04:49:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Needle nose pliers work well to remove a pivot cup. Does anyone know what the dimensions are for venture low bushings? Like how tall each bushing is?
[close]

They're the same as all venture bushings, the lows aren't any different. I know the bottoms are 12.7mm, can't remember the tops off-hand and I don't have a set close by to check but I want to say 9.2mm or thereabouts.
[close]

I hear this BUT I've always thought they looked lower and when I was swapping out a set of lows recently I saw the bottom barrel is slightly shorter and had to sand a set of supercush to make them the same height. I'll measure and take pics when I get home from work.
[close]

I emailed them about it a while back and they said they're all the same size and duro. Also on another forum someone said they've seen the assembly room and they pull them all from the same bins regardless of the truck, the only thing that changes is the color. I wouldn't doubt that you may have had some aftermarket ones that were weird, but as far as the straight stock ones go there shouldnt be any difference.
[close]

I know, I've heard the same things but I'm not talking about aftermarket. I swear, stocks from highs and lows side by side, the barrels for the lows are like 1-2mm shorter. The only after markets I've used in lows (supercush) needed to be shaved down.

Pics as soon as I get home, and if I'm wrong I'll fully admit in.
[close]

It may have changed since the move to China, but stock indy bottoms were a 1/2mm taller than after market barrels (with aftermarket conical being stock height). Tops were the same. Essentially the aftermarket 'standards' were damn close to low bottoms.

Ok, buttfart was right and I was wrong. At one point I considered saying I would eat a bushing if I was wrong, but thankfully I didn't.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 07:27:57 PM by FrozenIndustries »

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 401
« Reply #8911 on: August 05, 2020, 06:36:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Seems like both Krux and Indy inverted kingpins are the same.
[close]
wtf is up with how those wheels sound
[close]

It's just a shitty mic.
[close]
right then buy a set of rictas and let me know how much you love the way they sound and slide
If I recall, I had one set of Brian Anderson rictas a long time ago and they were the hardest wheels I’ve ever owned. I haven’t had a set of rictas since, except tomorrow when a set of clouds for my cruiser comes but that don’t count

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #8912 on: August 05, 2020, 07:41:12 PM »
Motherfucker i want my money back
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:14:13 AM by Slayer666 »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 844
« Reply #8913 on: August 05, 2020, 09:54:58 PM »
Ok, buttfart was right and I was wrong. At one point I considered saying I would eat a bushing if I was wrong, but thankfully I didn't.

Haha I guess being mentally ill enough to tape a pair of calipers to my bushings finally came in handy. I did actually have a pair of them that broke in super weird and I have to crank them down like almost 2 threads past where I normally ride ventures so I was convinced they were different which is what lead to me emailing DLX about it. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #8914 on: August 06, 2020, 10:17:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Seems like both Krux and Indy inverted kingpins are the same.
[close]
wtf is up with how those wheels sound
[close]

It's just a shitty mic.
[close]
right then buy a set of rictas and let me know how much you love the way they sound and slide
[close]
If I recall, I had one set of Brian Anderson rictas a long time ago and they were the hardest wheels I’ve ever owned. I haven’t had a set of rictas since, except tomorrow when a set of clouds for my cruiser comes but that don’t count

The older chrome cores were easily the hardest wheels I've ridden (I loved them in smooth park); the urethane change to 'NRG' formula made them less chalky and not nearly as hard as the chrome cores; the Rapidos aren't that hard either.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8915 on: August 10, 2020, 06:17:15 AM »

Bob Genghis Khan is down with the gullwing army
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8916 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:12 AM »
What size trucks is preffered for 8.5 decks?

Cant decide between Indy 144 or 149s. I'm setting them up with conicals or conical fulls depending on whats available.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #8917 on: August 10, 2020, 06:57:24 AM »

Cant decide between Indy 144 or 149s. I'm setting them up with conicals or conical fulls depending on whats available.

144 is an 8.25 axle
149 is 8.5

I would go 149 personally but both should work.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8918 on: August 10, 2020, 07:15:19 AM »

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #8919 on: August 10, 2020, 07:20:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This I prefer indy149, or venture 5.8 on anything bigger than 8.25.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Solid bowlcut

« Reply #8920 on: August 10, 2020, 07:26:53 AM »
I would go 144, it would make flip tricks better for me.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #8921 on: August 10, 2020, 07:34:44 AM »

Ace 44

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #8922 on: August 10, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »

Are you for sure planning on staying that size. Because either truck will work really well if you like Indy's.
I would buy the 144 because the 139 stage 11 is one of my favorite trucks. The 149 I had was no where as good as the 159 truck.

I would buy a 159 over a 149 always.

If you could potentially go above 8.5 and a 159 isn't an option
149 hollows

I tried hollow 149s right before I bought these hollow ventures.
My friend Drew has been riding them for a while and they were nice but they felt lower I think they might have been stage X.

If you're potentially going back down in size or I would go 144.

I always tell people to get genuine independent replacement parts conical bushings.

Even tight trucks turn with the conical bushings and they last way longer than the stock ones.

It's almost as if they're two different materials.

Expand Quote

[close]

Ace 44

I second this. With conical wheels it's the perfect combination with any 8.5
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #8923 on: August 10, 2020, 07:55:48 AM »
Nobody asked me but, I run Ace baseplates with Venture 5.8 hangers.  It’s an awful setup and I love it. 

Diocletian

« Reply #8924 on: August 10, 2020, 08:16:21 AM »
How good is the turn? lol

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #8925 on: August 10, 2020, 08:43:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you for sure planning on staying that size. Because either truck will work really well if you like Indy's.
I would buy the 144 because the 139 stage 11 is one of my favorite trucks. The 149 I had was no where as good as the 159 truck.

I would buy a 159 over a 149 always.

If you could potentially go above 8.5 and a 159 isn't an option
149 hollows

I tried hollow 149s right before I bought these hollow ventures.
My friend Drew has been riding them for a while and they were nice but they felt lower I think they might have been stage X.

If you're potentially going back down in size or I would go 144.

I always tell people to get genuine independent replacement parts conical bushings.

Even tight trucks turn with the conical bushings and they last way longer than the stock ones.

It's almost as if they're two different materials.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace 44
[close]

I second this. With conical wheels it's the perfect combination with any 8.5

I run 169 on my 8.5 with I use for cruising mostly and getting tired of hitting the axle.

Got 144s in my reg 8.25 setup.
Figured ill just put some extra washers on them and see how they feel.

I take care of my curbs.

« Reply #8926 on: August 10, 2020, 08:44:17 AM »
How good is the turn? lol

Kind of great, I think.  I do trim my bushings down a whole lot so you really can’t feel the bushing hit the hanger until you’ve almost hit wheelbite.  But, for me it’s great, I wouldn’t recommend it.

CaderSk8r

• Rep: 19
« Reply #8927 on: August 15, 2020, 12:01:35 PM »
Has anyone tried krux dl kingpins in ventures? I was going to get a set for some ace 44s but thought might as well get 2 sets. Just curious to see if they fit ventures.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8928 on: August 15, 2020, 02:44:24 PM »

My friend purchased a yard sale board for $15 with these trucks. Needless to say he does not skate and so I talked him out of them. Indy stage 2 131s. 8" axle, Hanger is about 133mm. With Original Snap bushing. Barely used... I don't collect vintage skate shit but holy shit, I'm pretty stoked on these.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #8929 on: August 15, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »

My friend purchased a yard sale board for $15 with these trucks. Needless to say he does not skate and so I talked him out of them. Indy stage 2 131s. 8" axle, Hanger is about 133mm. With Original Snap bushing. Barely used... I don't collect vintage skate shit but holy shit, I'm pretty stoked on these.

Damn, yo. Will you skate them?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #8930 on: August 15, 2020, 03:36:47 PM »
Great question. I feel like they should be skated. Might set up an early 80s inspired rig but I want to experience the geometry for sure.

peptobismol

« Reply #8931 on: August 15, 2020, 03:41:06 PM »
Great question. I feel like they should be skated. Might set up an early 80s inspired rig but I want to experience the geometry for sure.

RIDE EM, DONT HIDE EM! for fucks sake!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8932 on: August 16, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »
On something like a zip zinger would be super fun....

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8933 on: August 17, 2020, 09:12:06 PM »
Anyone know if krux bushings have the same dimensions as independent?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #8934 on: August 19, 2020, 10:25:55 PM »
doh dohs suck horse dick. cracked in two sessions and i ride rattly loose. what are the most durable bushings? cant stand knowing im riding mangled ones if i just bought em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #8935 on: August 20, 2020, 06:39:22 AM »
doh dohs suck horse dick. cracked in two sessions and i ride rattly loose. what are the most durable bushings? cant stand knowing im riding mangled ones if i just bought em
What kind of trucks you ride?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #8936 on: August 20, 2020, 06:45:56 AM »
Anyone know if krux bushings have the same dimensions as independent?

They are the same as the Indy aftermarket ones at least. Krux bushings are pretty overrated, quality is fine, but they are hard as hell and stay that way. Check out the Ace low bushings.

baustin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #8937 on: August 20, 2020, 07:24:29 AM »
I’m sure someone here has done this before but my pivot cups were starting to look and feel a little decrepit so I dabbed some rubber cement at the bottom and a bit around the rest of the cups and allowed that to dry. Skated once since then and they really do feel revived, hopefully it holds up and extends their life a little bit.

ballintoohard

« Reply #8938 on: August 20, 2020, 11:33:09 AM »
Do I have this right?

Bottom bushing controls the feeling at the top of the turn. The top bushing determines how far that turn goes. So if I want a lose top with a stiffer arc near the bottom I would use a soft bottom hard top?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8939 on: August 20, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
Do I have this right?

Bottom bushing controls the feeling at the top of the turn. The top bushing determines how far that turn goes. So if I want a lose top with a stiffer arc near the bottom I would use a soft bottom hard top?

Yes, kinda like stock ACEs have.