Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1224426 times)

pointandclick

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9000 on: September 07, 2020, 06:49:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I picked up a Real 8.06 Full SE today and cant decide on either 147s or 148s...anyone got suggestions, ill gladly listen!  :P
[close]
just got 148's and i skirt between 8.06 and 8.125, came off of 147s, both team baseplates. honestly the 148's height and grind clearance is what sold me. feels like a bit more stable too. never run bigger trucks on a board but i like the feel. 147's were fun but wheel bite is what put me off.
[close]

Ya im kinda leaning to the 148s for the same reason. 147s are def super low and i get so much wheel bite
after almost all summer on 147's im happy i switched to 148's. im not super heavy and i run 54's sick of wheel bite.

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9001 on: September 07, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
I've been going thru truck madness since Winter 2019 haha. Started with 5.8 ventures and ran that for a while on 8.25's. Got some Ace 44's early summer and been enjoying those a lot more than the Ventures. They just seem more versatile in terms of what board shapes you can ride on compared to Venture (kicks, concave, WB, etc.)

Now I want to downsize in board size so I bought some Thunder 147's (thanks to recent Brad Cromer clips). According to the Thunder website: 143, 145, 147 & 148 are all the same height at 50 mm.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9002 on: September 07, 2020, 11:32:07 PM »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #9003 on: September 08, 2020, 12:10:17 AM »
huh, are Thunder's 50mm tall with team baseplate?
I thought they was around 52? Mkey

chappers

« Reply #9004 on: September 08, 2020, 01:26:50 AM »
yeh for years theyve been saying 52mm high with the cast plate. why tf they alter it now?

Frank and Fred

« Reply #9005 on: September 08, 2020, 10:36:40 AM »
Are Thunder the only truck company that higher their trucks slightly as the width goes up? This is very sensible.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9006 on: September 08, 2020, 10:42:34 AM »

Kind of a weird move, 148/149 should have stayed at 52mm. I can't do trucks that low :(

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9007 on: September 08, 2020, 11:28:51 AM »

hmm i checked my 148's and 147's and there is a noticeable height difference. dont have them with me otherwise i would measure. even if im wrong, the kingpin clearance on 148's is way better than 147's so im happy to switch.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 978
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9008 on: September 08, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »
yeh for years theyve been saying 52mm high with the cast plate. why tf they alter it now?

Didn't this just come up recently too? Where DLX confirmed the heights of 147s vs the rest?

Def and odd move...have these always been the heights all along and they are just now listing accurate measurements?

Everyone been skating 49mm trucks :P

Based on the chart, it's the hanger that causes the height increase and not different B-plates (I'm guessing pivot length to retain geo).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:47:31 AM by Xen »

ballintoohard

« Reply #9009 on: September 08, 2020, 12:34:39 PM »
Just measured some 148 and 149 both at 52

anon

« Reply #9010 on: September 08, 2020, 12:46:58 PM »
how badly do risers affect pop?
i'm switching away from ace because of the pop issue to thunders, but will need risers to prevent wheelbite
will this change be in vain?
already ordered the equipment, god dammit

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9011 on: September 08, 2020, 12:55:11 PM »
how badly do risers affect pop?
i'm switching away from ace because of the pop issue to thunders, but will need risers to prevent wheelbite
will this change be in vain?
already ordered the equipment, god dammit

Proof will be in your ollies.

anon

« Reply #9012 on: September 08, 2020, 01:01:56 PM »
actually, i'm talking about the sound/feel, not the height/timing
i like to make my boards last and it sucks if they feel dead before they really are
is the pop dampened noticeably with risers? also, i'm going with forged baseplates, so maybe that'll even things out?

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #9013 on: September 08, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i like to make my boards last and it sucks if they feel dead before they really are
is the pop dampened noticeably with risers? also, i'm going with forged baseplates, so maybe that'll even things out?

It depends on the material of the riser. The polycarbonate risers GardenSkater77 hooked me up with deaden the pop much less than previous materials I’ve used.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9014 on: September 09, 2020, 10:14:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've always loosened my wheels to give a bit more rattle if the board is too dead (it's why I hate skating 99s).

anon

« Reply #9015 on: September 09, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I've always loosened my wheels to give a bit more rattle if the board is too dead (it's why I hate skating 99s).
i only skate 99s... and use bearing spacers... and have them snug ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9016 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

snug wheels destroys sound and feel according to everyone, so maybe don't do that.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #9017 on: September 10, 2020, 05:10:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

snug wheels destroys sound and feel according to everyone, so maybe don't do that.

do yall mean just a tiny bit of chikka chikka or completely snug with no free spin?

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9018 on: September 10, 2020, 07:01:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

do yall mean just a tiny bit of chikka chikka or completely snug with no free spin?

If you use spacers or 'built-in' bearings you can tighten the nut down so that there is no play (no chikka chikka) and your wheels will still spin (this rarely works in practice with spacers). That's what's meant by snug. It murders the feel and sound of the board and you don't get squeaks when reverting, hence why no one does it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9019 on: September 10, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

chikka chikka

(I'm running race reds right now with some chikka chikka, totally defeating their build purpose)...

MxsDx

• Rep: 93
« Reply #9020 on: September 10, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »
Light vs. Heavy Trucks...Does anyone prefer standard/heavier trucks over their reduced weight counterparts (e.g., polished ventures vs. hollow-lights, indy standards over hollows etc.)  It seems like a super light weigh truck would help with pop, but many people say the tensor mag-lights, for example, are too light while others say they enjoy the pop of a heavier truck.  Without factoring in things like wheelbase and axle height, does anyone have strong opinions on how truck weight effects board feel?

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9021 on: September 10, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
Light vs. Heavy Trucks...Does anyone prefer standard/heavier trucks over their reduced weight counterparts (e.g., polished ventures vs. hollow-lights, indy standards over hollows etc.)  It seems like a super light weigh truck would help with pop, but many people say the tensor mag-lights, for example, are too light while others say they enjoy the pop of a heavier truck.  Without factoring in things like wheelbase and axle height, does anyone have strong opinions on how truck weight effects board feel?

On smaller decks 8-8.25 I like the feel of standard trucks and as the deck sizes go up I prefer lighter trucks. 8.75-9.5 feel best with lighter trucks for me. Bigger than that and I’m not usually doing that much stuff where the weight  is that big of a deal, though some shapes I like lighter trucks on. I’m riding a 10’ Heroin egg shape right now that feels good with Indy 169Ti and an 8.3 popsicle with Thunder 149 standards and the weight feels right on both.

I’m prepared to accept the possibility that it’s all mental, though.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 858
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9022 on: September 10, 2020, 02:49:27 PM »
im just hoping dlx shows venture some love too with a height chart
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Vintagebody

• Rep: 75
« Reply #9023 on: September 10, 2020, 02:49:31 PM »
There's probably some physics to explain it.

I guess the inertia from a heavier truck will make the board go upwards for longer vs a lighter truck.
We're talking less than 100g(total) differences unless we talk about something like a Tensor.

I went from Thunder Hollow Lights to Raws. Can still only 8 boards without too much of a hassle.

aksanaom

• Rep: 3
« Reply #9024 on: September 11, 2020, 10:50:15 AM »
This is a dumb as fuck question. I never ride indys and i just ordered these. Are these "indy polished" the standard stage 11 indys? It doesn't say stage 11 anywhere and now i'm curious

https://www.zumiez.com/independent-polished-silver-navy-169-skateboard-truck.html?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=1085231&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwwOz6BRCgARIsAKEG4FVfh5jWdlrv8XInOZ9wp7ok0pKu-S2q1wHL747dLKIjsgsmj-dfa7kaAlaIEALw_wcB

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #9025 on: September 11, 2020, 10:54:11 AM »
This is a dumb as fuck question. I never ride indys and i just ordered these. Are these "indy polished" the standard stage 11 indys? It doesn't say stage 11 anywhere and now i'm curious

https://www.zumiez.com/independent-polished-silver-navy-169-skateboard-truck.html

Yep, regular ass stage 11 Indys. They have been out a while. Like 7-8 years or something?

On another note, could someone please explain why Venture has so many colored bushings and what duro they are? I just got some with purple ones.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9026 on: September 11, 2020, 11:00:45 AM »
Expand Quote

https://www.zumiez.com/independent-polished-silver-navy-169-skateboard-truck.html
[close]

Yep, regular ass stage 11 Indys. They have been out a while. Like 7-8 years or something?

On another note, could someone please explain why Venture has so many colored bushings and what duro they are? I just got some with purple ones.

All the stock bushings are 90a. Deluxe makes aftermarkets in different durometer/color combos, but the stocks or always 90a. Or is it 92a? Whatever the case, they're all the same duro and come in different colors just to look nice.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #9027 on: September 11, 2020, 11:02:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

All the stock bushings are 90a. Deluxe makes aftermarkets in different durometer/color combos, but the stocks or always 90a. Or is it 92a? Whatever the case, they're all the same duro and come in different colors just to look nice.

Ahh ok thanks, that makes sense. Gnar

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9028 on: September 11, 2020, 11:50:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ahh ok thanks, that makes sense. Gnar
yep spot on. pretty sure 90a stock. but the purple dxl aftermarket are 97a
Deluxe Bushings Supercush Purple Skateboard Bushings - 97a - Warehouse  Skateboards

sketchyrider

« Reply #9029 on: September 11, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »

for some reason, this just jogged my memory that i hated the turn of those stage 10s, but i like the pop more betta.

i gave them away when they were approaching axle, kinda regret.