Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221012 times)

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9030 on: September 13, 2020, 11:33:08 AM »
139s/5.2s on a 7.75; yea or nay?
My apologies if this has been discussed already but 303 pages is a lot to skim though.
Got a 7.75 deck a bit ago cuz I wanted to size down, but only trucks my shop has are 139s for indys and 5.2 for ventures; no 129s or 5.0s. What are the pros and cons? It’d pretty much be the equivalent of riding 149s on an 8.25 right?

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #9031 on: September 13, 2020, 11:43:41 AM »
Does anyone here skate medium Bones bushings in Indys? If so, how are they? I usually skate the aftermarket medium Indy or stock Indy bushings but I'm thinking of trying something different.
Ran it for years but I found that I liked the medium hard Indy aftermarkets better. Bones to me never lasted that long

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9032 on: September 13, 2020, 11:57:29 AM »
139s/5.2s on a 7.75; yea or nay?
My apologies if this has been discussed already but 303 pages is a lot to skim though.
Got a 7.75 deck a bit ago cuz I wanted to size down, but only trucks my shop has are 139s for indys and 5.2 for ventures; no 129s or 5.0s. What are the pros and cons? It’d pretty much be the equivalent of riding 149s on an 8.25 right?
yeah, i've been skating 8" trucks with 7.75s for a while. it's a-ok, buddy

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9033 on: September 14, 2020, 04:47:59 AM »
Thinking of switching from venture 5.8 standard to thunder team hollows. I can't find 5.8 hollow ventures anywhere. What's the biggest wheel I could get away with on thunder teams (50mm height) without rocking risers? I have enough clearance on 55mm spits with the ventures (53mm height).
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9034 on: September 14, 2020, 06:23:35 AM »
I've been flip flopping with Indys and Ventures but I rode my dude's board with Thunders over the weekend and now I've got some Thunders on the way. 147s. I've always considered myself an Indy guy who liked to dabble into Venture land but at this point in my skate life, seems like Thunder has what I need. They're light, turn good, quick pop on the flips (This has been my issue with Indys as I get older and my skills diminish. Heavy float low-to-the-ground-flips). This makes me feel kind of stupid, as I recently just bought Venture Lo 5.2s, but one fifteen minute session on Thunders made me buy some.

shawngreg

• Rep: 64
« Reply #9035 on: September 14, 2020, 07:33:36 AM »
Thinking of switching from venture 5.8 standard to thunder team hollows. I can't find 5.8 hollow ventures anywhere. What's the biggest wheel I could get away with on thunder teams (50mm height) without rocking risers? I have enough clearance on 55mm spits with the ventures (53mm height).

i'm almost positive they didnt make 5.8 hollows, just v-lights and titaniums.  unfortunately, i know nothing about Thunders, so i cant help you there

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9036 on: September 14, 2020, 09:09:39 AM »
an Indy guy who liked to dabble into Venture land
I think Ive just found my new Instagram bio description

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9037 on: September 14, 2020, 09:52:27 AM »
I've been flip flopping with Indys and Ventures but I rode my dude's board with Thunders over the weekend and now I've got some Thunders on the way. 147s. I've always considered myself an Indy guy who liked to dabble into Venture land but at this point in my skate life, seems like Thunder has what I need. They're light, turn good, quick pop on the flips (This has been my issue with Indys as I get older and my skills diminish. Heavy float low-to-the-ground-flips). This makes me feel kind of stupid, as I recently just bought Venture Lo 5.2s, but one fifteen minute session on Thunders made me buy some.

Same, I hopped aboard the Venture bandwagon hard, rode my friend's setup with Thunder Team Hollow Lights and now I want to try a pair. And I already have the 147 and 148 in Titanium already. The pop was much lighter and responsive versus Ventures.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

anon

« Reply #9038 on: September 14, 2020, 10:05:24 AM »
switched back to thunders after a few years with ace
manuals are so easy and the kingpin clearance is actually pretty good despite it not looking so
i'm using risers, but the pop is still pretty crispy, even with a razor tailed deck
only thing that bugs me is the nose/tailslides. don't know if i can get used to the feeling of sliding on the wheels
why isn't there a perfect truck?

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #9039 on: September 14, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »
switched back to thunders after a few years with ace
manuals are so easy and the kingpin clearance is actually pretty good despite it not looking so
i'm using risers, but the pop is still pretty crispy, even with a razor tailed deck
only thing that bugs me is the nose/tailslides. don't know if i can get used to the feeling of sliding on the wheels
why isn't there a perfect truck?

Haven’t skated Thunder in ~15 years, stepped on my homies board with em the other day and I could hold a manual for as long as I wanted, until the board stopped moving. Felt like a cheat code.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9040 on: September 14, 2020, 11:21:55 AM »
It's because Thunders land right in the middle between Indy and Venture and, dare I say, give you the best of both.

For Me:

Indy/ACE = bowls

Thunder everything else (I just don't like how they treat me in bowls due to wheelbite in some park pockets).

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 05:29:32 PM by Xen »

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #9041 on: September 14, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »
Funny you guys say that. Bcuz when I skate indy's, I can manual for days.
Meanwhile I actually skate Thunders 99% of the time.

Indy's mellow out the board, it also sits taller, so its got a bigger margin for error.
A Thunder's tipping point is much smaller, if you ask me.

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9042 on: September 15, 2020, 04:28:02 PM »
Thunders are here, set 'em up. My son is being a clown since I walked in the door though, so I'm currently in "discipline mode", which is interfering with the joy of my new trucks.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #9043 on: September 15, 2020, 08:30:34 PM »
Ive been content with my Thunders for a while now and have settled there but I'm questioning the use of a krux kingpin after years of using it simply because I've had too many situations where it's wiggled loose and sent my hanger flying. More recently, I realized that the thread in the front truck kingping had not only stripped, but the nut that normally holds in place within the cast thunder plates has dig in grooves into the sides of the plate where the nut won't tighten past a certain point. In the past I actually really did like the forged baseplate+riser combo with thunders but went to the cast plates so I could use the kingpin.

The question is, as much as I love the krux pins, is the extra clearance even necessary? Even though I hate the feeling of snagging the kingpin on a ledge, it more often comes down to user error than the truck itself. I also feel like the truck hangers are a tad less stable/secure on the truck when using the krux pins vs stock ones but that could just be mind games.

anon

« Reply #9044 on: September 15, 2020, 09:36:21 PM »
Ive been content with my Thunders for a while now and have settled there but I'm questioning the use of a krux kingpin after years of using it simply because I've had too many situations where it's wiggled loose and sent my hanger flying. More recently, I realized that the thread in the front truck kingping had not only stripped, but the nut that normally holds in place within the cast thunder plates has dig in grooves into the sides of the plate where the nut won't tighten past a certain point. In the past I actually really did like the forged baseplate+riser combo with thunders but went to the cast plates so I could use the kingpin.

The question is, as much as I love the krux pins, is the extra clearance even necessary? Even though I hate the feeling of snagging the kingpin on a ledge, it more often comes down to user error than the truck itself. I also feel like the truck hangers are a tad less stable/secure on the truck when using the krux pins vs stock ones but that could just be mind games.
unless you skate tight trucks, i say avoid inverted kingpins
they delay the turn ever so slightly because the kingpin isn't locked in place
i actually prefer the feel of smiths with regular kingpins. it's boring when there's no friction and you can't feel the grind
just do what ben degros does and grind down the kingpin nut beforehand
https://youtu.be/DBLIRIFHxuc?t=139

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #9045 on: September 15, 2020, 11:05:24 PM »
Has anyone found risers that fit Ace baseplates? looking at my board and it's driving me insane.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9046 on: September 16, 2020, 04:16:11 AM »
Has anyone found risers that fit Ace baseplates? looking at my board and it's driving me insane.

Just picked up some 149 thunder team hollows and some deluxe supercush 97du bushing (best bushings ever. Have them in my 5.8 standards). Excited to try out some thunders. Only ever been on venture/Indy.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9047 on: September 16, 2020, 06:44:32 AM »
Supercush are the best

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9048 on: September 16, 2020, 06:50:14 AM »
dooks

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9049 on: September 16, 2020, 07:13:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
dooks

The only risers custom cut to fit Ace perfectly https://bluntsteel.com/collections/accessories/products/1

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #9050 on: September 16, 2020, 08:15:30 AM »
My great "Thunder Trucks Experiment of 2020" has come to a close.

I bought myself a christmas present this year of a pair of Thunder Hollow Lights and set them up a fresh complete (quasi deck, F4 wheels) which I skated for the first time on January 1, 2020. At first it felt super weird and couldn't figure out how tight or loose I wanted the trucks. I'd been primarily been using Ace prior to this and in accordance with their creed I like them loose. So that was the first challenge. I finally got them to where I liked them and I landed a few good tricks at the park that day so I felt good about.

Most of January and February I was working too much, it's our busy time of year, so not skating much. Weather was awful also, and most of my skating was going for a cruise after work to get a beer. I got used to the very different turn of the Thunders by doing this but I never felt comfortable ollieing at high speed. There's a huge bump in the bike path on the way to my favorite bar that I like to ollie off but I never could get the timing right with the Thunders.

Then March came and I was stuck in the house for months. I did some stationary skating in the driveway behind my apartment, but it was just something to kill boredom.

Finally in May I was able to go out again so I set up a new deck. Ishod twin tail. It was weird but I blamed the deck. Didn't feel comfortable at speed nor pushing tricks higher. That bump in the bike path continued to be a problem.

A week ago I set up a third deck on that truck/wheels setup, this time a Hockey. A shape I'm very comfortable with. I skated lots of Quasi and FA/Hockey in the past and I think they are my fav deck shape, I switch it up depending on what's at the shop that day. Same problems. What the fuck?!

For shits and giggles I took my old setup to work today for my lunchtime session. Quasi/Ace/F4. The first ollie I did was weird. But the second one was the same lofty and almost effortless ollie I remember from my past. I felt the skate gods lifting me up at that moment. Kickflips came back. Grinds felt dope. I missed the quick twitchy turn of the thunders but Ace turn great in a different way.

I blamed my shitty skating on decks; on my atrophied legs from Covid lockdown; from a hot summer; from depression; from my fat ass being a lazy old man. NOPE. Now I blame Thunder trucks. And the fact that I'm actually a horrible skateboarder, but not THAT bad, luckily.

I'm sticking to Ace from now on.

How do you people who switch stuff all the time do it? I still had Ace muscle memory from 9 months ago. It came right back. You must all be amazing skateboarders, or I'm just terrible. I can't do it.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #9051 on: September 16, 2020, 08:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
unless you skate tight trucks, i say avoid inverted kingpins
they delay the turn ever so slightly because the kingpin isn't locked in place
i actually prefer the feel of smiths with regular kingpins. it's boring when there's no friction and you can't feel the grind
just do what ben degros does and grind down the kingpin nut beforehand
https://youtu.be/DBLIRIFHxuc?t=139

Man I knew it was SOMETHING going on with the kingpin not being "set" into the baseplate but I could never put my finger on it. makes sense. I always have to tighten my front truck after a couple weeks or so because it'll slowly wiggle loose from grinds/hard wheelbite so I'm gonna do the forged baseplates for a while and see how it goes

Diocletian

« Reply #9052 on: September 16, 2020, 09:19:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
dooks
[close]

The only risers custom cut to fit Ace perfectly https://bluntsteel.com/collections/accessories/products/1

I donated a huge box of all my extra truck stuff including Dooks hard risers that seem to be hard to find. I could have swore they don't fit Ace's properly. Gay Imp Sausage Metal uses Diamond ones and in the set-up thread it looks like they're cut to fit perfectly.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #9053 on: September 16, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »

It'll work with indy risers with only very little of the riser showing (I choose to do it towards the center of the board instead of the nose/tail). You just gotta use the area beside the holes (you'll have to use a tiny bit of force to poke the hardware through the first time)

Junglist

« Reply #9054 on: September 16, 2020, 01:53:40 PM »
Can I ask a stupid question here? What do pivot cups really do? How much will a truck feel different if they’re switched to riptide? (Venture, thunder, ace)

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9055 on: September 16, 2020, 02:01:48 PM »
Can I ask a stupid question here? What do pivot cups really do? How much will a truck feel different if they’re switched to riptide? (Venture, thunder, ace)
Pivot cups are like cushions or bushings for the other end of the hanger. They assist the turn of a truck. Riptide pivot cups are a premium accessory made with a self lubricating formula so that the bushings last longer. Never had a set of riptides crack, creak, or wear out on me - still using the first set I ever got, the only reason I got more is for multiple setups because I won't ride a board without them now.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #9056 on: September 16, 2020, 02:02:12 PM »

I'm sure you'll get more science based answers, but it's really a 3rd bushing. The hangar is mashing around in it like a pestle in mortar. It provides resistance when needed in the turn arc, and should snap back/fill in to its original shape when the truck is rebounded to its regular spot.

Riptide just happens to be an awesome brand, among a few others.

Junglist

« Reply #9057 on: September 16, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
Thanks guys. So the riptides make the turn, rebound and snapback better? Or are they just the bones bushings of pivot cups?

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #9058 on: September 16, 2020, 04:59:19 PM »

They're bigger than the baseplate, but bones risers have oblong holes and will move under your plates so they don't stick out on nose/tailslides.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9059 on: September 17, 2020, 05:09:37 AM »
My great "Thunder Trucks Experiment of 2020" has come to a close.

I bought myself a christmas present this year of a pair of Thunder Hollow Lights and set them up a fresh complete (quasi deck, F4 wheels) which I skated for the first time on January 1, 2020. At first it felt super weird and couldn't figure out how tight or loose I wanted the trucks. I'd been primarily been using Ace prior to this and in accordance with their creed I like them loose. So that was the first challenge. I finally got them to where I liked them and I landed a few good tricks at the park that day so I felt good about.

Most of January and February I was working too much, it's our busy time of year, so not skating much. Weather was awful also, and most of my skating was going for a cruise after work to get a beer. I got used to the very different turn of the Thunders by doing this but I never felt comfortable ollieing at high speed. There's a huge bump in the bike path on the way to my favorite bar that I like to ollie off but I never could get the timing right with the Thunders.

Then March came and I was stuck in the house for months. I did some stationary skating in the driveway behind my apartment, but it was just something to kill boredom.

Finally in May I was able to go out again so I set up a new deck. Ishod twin tail. It was weird but I blamed the deck. Didn't feel comfortable at speed nor pushing tricks higher. That bump in the bike path continued to be a problem.

A week ago I set up a third deck on that truck/wheels setup, this time a Hockey. A shape I'm very comfortable with. I skated lots of Quasi and FA/Hockey in the past and I think they are my fav deck shape, I switch it up depending on what's at the shop that day. Same problems. What the fuck?!

For shits and giggles I took my old setup to work today for my lunchtime session. Quasi/Ace/F4. The first ollie I did was weird. But the second one was the same lofty and almost effortless ollie I remember from my past. I felt the skate gods lifting me up at that moment. Kickflips came back. Grinds felt dope. I missed the quick twitchy turn of the thunders but Ace turn great in a different way.

I blamed my shitty skating on decks; on my atrophied legs from Covid lockdown; from a hot summer; from depression; from my fat ass being a lazy old man. NOPE. Now I blame Thunder trucks. And the fact that I'm actually a horrible skateboarder, but not THAT bad, luckily.

I'm sticking to Ace from now on.

How do you people who switch stuff all the time do it? I still had Ace muscle memory from 9 months ago. It came right back. You must all be amazing skateboarders, or I'm just terrible. I can't do it.
Thunders also don't work for me. They just won't.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.