Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221048 times)

FrozenIndustries

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9060 on: September 17, 2020, 06:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Has anyone found risers that fit Ace baseplates? looking at my board and it's driving me insane.
[close]
dooks
[close]

The only risers custom cut to fit Ace perfectly https://bluntsteel.com/collections/accessories/products/1
[close]

I donated a huge box of all my extra truck stuff including Dooks hard risers that seem to be hard to find. I could have swore they don't fit Ace's properly. Gay Imp Sausage Metal uses Diamond ones and in the set-up thread it looks like they're cut to fit perfectly.

I have some Diamonds on the way and will post once they arrive. As far as slotted risers, Lucky fit pretty well. I was running Modus for a bit but I didn't like how far it stuck out for nose slides.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9061 on: September 17, 2020, 07:30:37 AM »
I also have diamond risers for my aces, although you do have to cut them to fit since they’re a little bit longer than the baseplate.

Noble Experiment

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9062 on: September 17, 2020, 07:45:59 AM »
As I mentioned earlier on in this thread, I put together a second setup recently, a 7.75 Toy Machine just to mess around on, and i wanted Ventures for them but the only trucks the shop had that matched that size were Indy standards. It’s my first set of Indy’s in a while ever since I switched to ventures; right off the bat they felt a lot less stable and a lot squirrellier than the ventures I’ve grown accustomed to, but man does that surfy turn just feel so right to me; I’d be lying if I said I didn’t miss it. Grew up skating nothing but indys and going back to a pair almost gave me like a “welcome home” feeling. It’s just what my mind and muscle memory is used to.

I think I’ve found my perfect bushing combo too for indys: bones hard tops with Indy aftermarket barrels on the the bottom; gives em the bones rebound but takes away the mushiness that comes with bones as well (not sure if anyone else thought bones just felt mushy at times but I always did). Makes em feel a lot more responsive and less squirrelly right off the bat.

Still love the stability and hefty pop of a venture but so far I’ve been enjoying my time back on indys for this second setup

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #9063 on: September 17, 2020, 04:45:47 PM »
Thanks guys. So the riptides make the turn, rebound and snapback better? Or are they just the bones bushings of pivot cups?
Riptides are indestructible. Bones won’t even last me the life of a set of trucks. Do yourself the favor, spend the 14 bucks and know true pleasure

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9064 on: September 17, 2020, 06:26:08 PM »
How do you rock your tensors? do you keep the stock bushings or switch to bones soft?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9065 on: September 17, 2020, 06:51:04 PM »
How do you rock your tensors? do you keep the stock bushings or switch to bones soft?
atg? Stock all day they’re great w the interlocking bushings

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #9066 on: September 17, 2020, 07:06:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I ran mine with both. For me the stock ones ended up making a clicking sound

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9067 on: September 17, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wonder how would Ace work with Tensor interlocking bushings...
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #9068 on: September 17, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Can I ask a stupid question here? What do pivot cups really do? How much will a truck feel different if they’re switched to riptide? (Venture, thunder, ace)
[close]
Pivot cups are like cushions or bushings for the other end of the hanger. They assist the turn of a truck. Riptide pivot cups are a premium accessory made with a self lubricating formula so that the bushings last longer. Never had a set of riptides crack, creak, or wear out on me - still using the first set I ever got, the only reason I got more is for multiple setups because I won't ride a board without them now.

Actually just ordered a set of these for my Ace.  This thread has given me the madness and now I can’t get My trucks right.  I noticed the hanger was sloshing around in the pivot cups, and I hope this fixes it
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9069 on: September 18, 2020, 01:18:21 PM »

I ran them stock and with bones meds/softs; I found the stocks to be quite hard/tight (at only 90a if Tensor is to be trusted); if you ride on the tighter side, they're probably great but I found bones softs to be perfect for how loose I ride). Bones Meds were fine as well, just not as loose as I wanted the ATGs to be.

Bones without washers are the same height as tensors with washers.

cjt

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #9070 on: September 18, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Can I ask a stupid question here? What do pivot cups really do? How much will a truck feel different if they’re switched to riptide? (Venture, thunder, ace)
[close]
Pivot cups are like cushions or bushings for the other end of the hanger. They assist the turn of a truck. Riptide pivot cups are a premium accessory made with a self lubricating formula so that the bushings last longer. Never had a set of riptides crack, creak, or wear out on me - still using the first set I ever got, the only reason I got more is for multiple setups because I won't ride a board without them now.
[close]

Actually just ordered a set of these for my Ace.  This thread has given me the madness and now I can’t get My trucks right.  I noticed the hanger was sloshing around in the pivot cups, and I hope this fixes it

i live for the slosh

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9071 on: September 20, 2020, 11:26:53 PM »
how would one go about removing rust on the inside of hollow axles?

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #9072 on: September 21, 2020, 08:00:32 AM »
how would one go about removing rust on the inside of hollow axles?
Every hollow axle out there is rusty. If you really wanted to clean it up though, I guess a pipe cleaner and some wd40 would work.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #9073 on: September 21, 2020, 08:51:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

i live for the slosh
The Shoes and Gear thread will have you getting a bunch of parts and stuff to try.
I remember when people would get the Ace Mag plates and modify them with RipTides and Krux kingpin, then throw some Khiro bushings with the khiro racer washers and Thunder hanger.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

kenjiro

« Reply #9074 on: September 21, 2020, 08:56:41 AM »
So i’ve come to the realization I’m probably never going to size up from 8.25. Maybe occasionally trying an 8.38/8.125.  My question for you all is should i go with 149 or 148s? I mainly skate transition/mini ramp. Still beginner level for ledges and rails.

I love everything about my thunder 149s, but i’m wondering how much of a difference in flipability i would gain from sizing down. And also what id lose by sizing down in my transition skating. If anyone has some insight into what trucks they use for 8.25 that’d be appreciated

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9075 on: September 21, 2020, 09:16:45 AM »
So i’ve come to the realization I’m probably never going to size up from 8.25. Maybe occasionally trying an 8.38/8.125.  My question for you all is should i go with 149 or 148s? I mainly skate transition/mini ramp. Still beginner level for ledges and rails.

I love everything about my thunder 149s, but i’m wondering how much of a difference in flipability i would gain from sizing down. And also what id lose by sizing down in my transition skating. If anyone has some insight into what trucks they use for 8.25 that’d be appreciated

Moved up from 8.125 to 8.25, swapping Ventures for Thunder 148. Never rode 149, but at 148 things are feeling right. I skate mostly ledges and rails on a deck with steep kicks. Popping tricks felt easier and lighter versus the Ventures I setup previously.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #9076 on: September 21, 2020, 09:38:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Moved up from 8.125 to 8.25, swapping Ventures for Thunder 148. Never rode 149, but at 148 things are feeling right. I skate mostly ledges and rails on a deck with steep kicks. Popping tricks felt easier and lighter versus the Ventures I setup previously.
If you’ll flip from 8.125 and 8.38, i think 148 is a safe bet. Just because it’s in between.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Diocletian

« Reply #9077 on: September 21, 2020, 12:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

i live for the slosh

I've been sloshing for awhile and remembered I had a stash of riptides and they reminded me how crucial pivot cups are just as much as bushings. Riptides in some Ace's with either Krux aftermarkets or the new Ace bushings and you have the most insane turning on the market right now.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9078 on: September 21, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »
Anyone try riptide pivots in thunders?  They have a generic one that they say can be used in indy/thunder/venture but they don't know this thread.   I think Ben d tried it and it worked ok....

With the hardgoods shortage, I'm thinking of an overhaul where I swap hangers.  I usually would never do that but, I guess I might have to squeeze out the life of a set of trucks. 

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9079 on: September 21, 2020, 02:40:50 PM »
Anyone try riptide pivots in thunders?  They have a generic one that they say can be used in indy/thunder/venture but they don't know this thread.   I think Ben d tried it and it worked ok....

With the hardgoods shortage, I'm thinking of an overhaul where I swap hangers.  I usually would never do that but, I guess I might have to squeeze out the life of a set of trucks.
theres a pair specifically for thunders
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

themanwhomakes

• Rep: -5
« Reply #9080 on: September 21, 2020, 03:03:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks guys. So the riptides make the turn, rebound and snapback better? Or are they just the bones bushings of pivot cups?
[close]
Riptides are indestructible. Bones won’t even last me the life of a set of trucks. Do yourself the favor, spend the 14 bucks and know true pleasure

I’ve cracked a riptide pivot cup.
One post in and he's threatening pro skaters with violence over their shitty bands. Best first post ever?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9081 on: September 21, 2020, 06:00:00 PM »

I've used the 'indy' riptides in everything: Thudner, indy, ace, theeve, tensors, ventures, they work fine, they're flexible and confirm (besides how different are the pivots anyway really).

Only the ACE riptides seem to be thicker.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9082 on: September 21, 2020, 06:34:36 PM »
The thunder pivot is definitely smaller.  I can see though if they fit tight they'll be fine. 

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #9083 on: September 21, 2020, 06:45:17 PM »
Ishod. Thunder.  Kingpin?

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #9084 on: September 21, 2020, 07:47:11 PM »

thats delicious
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9085 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
thats delicious

Thunders been working on those for a while now, not sure when they're being officially released though.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9086 on: September 21, 2020, 09:58:04 PM »

that's great and all, but what about extending the baseplates?

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9087 on: September 21, 2020, 11:04:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude is asking the real questions here!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #9088 on: September 22, 2020, 03:36:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's the truth, nosesliding on your wheels. Nobody likes that.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #9089 on: September 22, 2020, 03:41:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

That's the truth, nosesliding on your wheels. Nobody likes that.
i think it’s fun