Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221057 times)

Gabagoolslide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9270 on: October 27, 2020, 07:39:27 PM »
Do any major truck company make trucks higher than 55mm
I’m looking for a 56.5mm or 57mm high truck

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9271 on: October 27, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »

Destructo D1 Mids (56mm) and Squadron 6.0 (58mm)
https://destructotrucks.com/pages/customer-service

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Have never tried any of the "light" trucks but am planning on trying either the indy forged hollows or thunder hollow lights. Any insight on either of these would be appreciated.

FYI I've had both indy standard and thunder team trucks in the past and I like them both. Wouldn't say I'm a purist for either.
[close]

Both are good for all round normal but slightly lighter skating, to note the Indy forged hollow is only 53.5mm high, compared to the standard which is 55mm high.  Thunder is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.
[close]

Thunder lights with forged baseplate are 50mm. I was on some for about a year. They were cool, but I like the extra height and ended up using risers with them until I snagged some team hollow baseplates. I sorta feel that the weight difference isn't all that much in the end. I notice it when I pick up my board, but that's it.

Height aside, Light / Hollow variants of trucks are felt more acutely on brands that have a heavy "standard" truck. The standard Thunder at 337g is substantially lighter than Venture (357g) and Indy (377g). ie I would be ok to ride a cheaper Thunder (standard / light) but I would spend more for the double hollow versions on Indys or Ventures. 

(he said, riding his Thunder 148 Titanium)

Like Ben Degros said in his Tensor Maglight review, there comes a point of diminishing returns for truck weight. Too light and the board has no "umph" and it feels very limp when you pop. Too heavy and the board struggles against gravity.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9272 on: October 27, 2020, 08:43:12 PM »

Not "major" in the skate world - but Paris Street Truck is 57.1.   

This guy says the height is mostly in the baseplate, so I'm not sure what advantage you have over just putting a riser on.

http://skateboardingismylifetimesport.blogspot.com/2013/12/paris-street-trucks-169.html

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9273 on: October 27, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »

Thunder lights with forged baseplate are 50mm. I was on some for about a year. They were cool, but I like the extra height and ended up using risers with them until I snagged some team hollow baseplates. I sorta feel that the weight difference isn't all that much in the end. I notice it when I pick up my board, but that's it.

Yes, and I always forget they go up in height as they get wider too. I should have said:

Thunder in 149 is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.

*** I always had to put a thin riser under the older (stage 9 and 10) Indy and any and all Thunders too, but I am using 56mm wheels for the most part and still ride fairly loose trucks.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9274 on: October 27, 2020, 09:05:26 PM »

Any truck can go up to whatever height you want it with risers, eg I used to use the thinnest rubber risers on my normal boards until the 55mm Indys came out, then 1/8 on the normal 60mm wheel boards, then 1/4 on the cruisers with big soft wheels and the 1/2 inch high are really good on the mega big soft wheel boards and come standard on Z Flex old skool completes, which is a touch too high for my liking but you get used to it for cruiser setups.  Just get deck bolts to match the size of the risers and you are set.

It is better than getting wheelbite and ending up on the ground.

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
« Reply #9275 on: October 27, 2020, 10:36:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Destructo D1 Mids (56mm) and Squadron 6.0 (58mm)
https://destructotrucks.com/pages/customer-service

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Have never tried any of the "light" trucks but am planning on trying either the indy forged hollows or thunder hollow lights. Any insight on either of these would be appreciated.

FYI I've had both indy standard and thunder team trucks in the past and I like them both. Wouldn't say I'm a purist for either.
[close]

Both are good for all round normal but slightly lighter skating, to note the Indy forged hollow is only 53.5mm high, compared to the standard which is 55mm high.  Thunder is 52 or so from measuring a set I have, both do the job well.
[close]

[close]

Height aside, Light / Hollow variants of trucks are felt more acutely on brands that have a heavy "standard" truck. The standard Thunder at 337g is substantially lighter than Venture (357g) and Indy (377g). ie I would be ok to ride a cheaper Thunder (standard / light) but I would spend more for the double hollow versions on Indys or Ventures. 

(he said, riding his Thunder 148 Titanium)

Like Ben Degros said in his Tensor Maglight review, there comes a point of diminishing returns for truck weight. Too light and the board has no "umph" and it feels very limp when you pop. Too heavy and the board struggles against gravity.

Guys thanks for all the insights, alot of info I had no idea about. I'm definitely leaning more into the Thunder hollow lights or lights, I think. Looking for less "umph" tbh, so they seem to be where I should be looking at. Gonna do some Google searching and see what shops have them in stock. Again much appreciated.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9276 on: October 31, 2020, 07:52:58 PM »
Can someone tell me the difference between conical and cylinder bottom bushings? I'm specifically interested in Indy mediums but I assume the principle will apply to any trucks. Is a cylinder bottom bushing more "stable"?

Also, how soft are Indy soft bushings versus Bones yellows (which I personally cannot stand)?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #9277 on: October 31, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
Can someone tell me the difference between conical and cylinder bottom bushings? I'm specifically interested in Indy mediums but I assume the principle will apply to any trucks. Is a cylinder bottom bushing more "stable"?

Also, how soft are Indy soft bushings versus Bones yellows (which I personally cannot stand)?

I’m also interest in hearing an explanation for bushing shapes, the ones I’ve heard started to sound pretty mumbo jumbo, vague at best. ‘Surfy’ (fuck that term, hate it).
Why don’t you like medium bones? I’ve had a love/hate/and now like, with those yellow bones. If I was going to swap bushings without breaking the trucks in, like a fuckin lunatic, my default would be yellow bones. The only trucks I really like them in are ventures tho, every other truck I’ve tried them with seems better stock.
I feel like conical bushings are a little quicker in turn. Not sure if that’s true.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9278 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:34 AM »

Brief explainer is that a “barrel” (or cylinder) shaped bottom bushing has more material in the compression zone, hence provides more resistance in the latter portion of the turn, where as a “conical” bushing allows for a consistent lean-in the whole way across the turn, thus conical bushings tends to lead to more wheel bite due to lack of resistance.
Stack height (including washers) is kinda crucial for maintaining your trucks designed turn, so attempt to replicate your existing stack height if you want an idea of how the trucks were intended to ride, regardless of preferred tightness, or which duro bushies you put in there.
Monkeying w/ trucks is fun, but after nearly 40 years, I’m back to running things stock & just finding the trucks I enjoy in that format (currently Thunders, Indys, & Ace.)

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #9279 on: November 01, 2020, 08:51:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Brief explainer is that a “barrel” (or cylinder) shaped bottom bushing has more material in the compression zone, hence provides more resistance in the latter portion of the turn, where as a “conical” bushing allows for a consistent lean-in the whole way across the turn, thus conical bushings tends to lead to more wheel bite due to lack of resistance.
Stack height (including washers) is kinda crucial for maintaining your trucks designed turn, so attempt to replicate your existing stack height if you want an idea of how the trucks were intended to ride, regardless of preferred tightness, or which duro bushies you put in there.
Monkeying w/ trucks is fun, but after nearly 40 years, I’m back to running things stock & just finding the trucks I enjoy in that format (currently Thunders, Indys, & Ace.)

Thanks! That was a really good explanation.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9280 on: November 01, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »
While I would lose some of the responsiveness of the thunders, do Indy barrel bushings work? First set of thunders and I'm trying to dial them in.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9281 on: November 01, 2020, 10:17:35 AM »
**********CLICK ME**********

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #9282 on: November 01, 2020, 03:16:09 PM »
While I would lose some of the responsiveness of the thunders, do Indy barrel bushings work? First set of thunders and I'm trying to dial them in.

Nah they won't turn. You need to cut the Indy/bait and tackle to fit thunder
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #9283 on: November 01, 2020, 03:14:21 PM »

Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9284 on: November 01, 2020, 03:50:19 PM »
Different brands cannot really be compared just on duro / hardness alone, as they feel so different to me.

Bones bushings - 3 Hardnesses: Soft Bushing: 81A, Medium Bushing: 91A, Hard Bushing: 96A

Indy current colours, white very soft 78, red soft 88, orange medium 90, blue medium hard 92, black hard 94 and yellow very hard 96

Thunder aftermarket has the rebuild kits soft red 90, meduim blue 95 and hard black 100, then just the container tube from the current thundertrucks.com showing clear yellow and white both 90, clear blue 94, clear red 97 and neon yellow 100

Also Thunder has different heights of truck depending on size, so for mine in 149, or from 148 up the Indy bushings will fit fine as the Thunder trucks are taller, but the smaller sizes are lower, so will not fit as well.

Stock bushings are said to be around 90 duro but feel way different to the aftermarket bushings of the same number and the different brands have different amounts of squash and rebound too, as well as a significant difference when new to when worn in.

Before you put different bushings in your trucks compare sizes and heights of the bushings, especially the bottom bushing as difference in height will most definitely affect how the truck performs.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:04:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9285 on: November 01, 2020, 04:08:04 PM »
In saying all that, I am quite brand specific, so I keep Indy bushings in my Indy trucks and Thunder bushings in my Thunders, but I have had Indy, Thunder, Venture, Ace, and a few other brands and swapped bushings around just to feel out what works and what doesn't work and most combinations still work fine, but there are a few interesting differences with how they turn and bounce back.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #9286 on: November 01, 2020, 07:26:16 PM »
I've googled but not found anything, so hoping wisdom here can help.

which bushing, top or bottom, would have more impact on reducing wheel bite on thunders?

I am thinking about putting a super hard bushing in either the top or bottom and have a softer one in the other position.

I've currently got hard bushings, but I'm about 95kg, so that's probably equivalent to a medium on most other lighter skaters and my trucks are about medium tight.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #9287 on: November 01, 2020, 08:00:45 PM »

which bushing, top or bottom, would have more impact on reducing wheel bite on thunders?

I am thinking about putting a super hard bushing in either the top or bottom and have a softer one in the other position.

I've currently got hard bushings, but I'm about 95kg, so that's probably equivalent to a medium on most other lighter skaters and my trucks are about medium tight.

Softer bottom/hard top turny with quick rebound/snap to center

Hard bottom/soft top is weird you get stability from the hard bottom but a bit of squish on the turn (and no snap back to center).

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #9288 on: November 01, 2020, 08:01:46 PM »
I love this thread but I wonder how many marriages it has ruined?

The relationship between man/woman and truck reminds me of the Kids in the Hall episode where the guy goes on vacation, decides to grow a beard, and then becomes overtaken by his beard.

I imagine a SLAP pal in their basement tinkering with pivot cups, hangers, king pins etc., and having a similar situation as what occurs at :42 seconds. "The trucks stay, YOU go."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeX2ZI5KL3E
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

ballintoohard

« Reply #9289 on: November 01, 2020, 08:15:00 PM »
There are no difference between 148 and 149 Thunders in terms of height correct?

sammyz

« Reply #9290 on: November 01, 2020, 08:23:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Hard bottom/soft top is weird you get stability from the hard bottom but a bit of squish on the turn (and no snap back to center).

awesome thanks, the first one sounds like a good combo. ill try it out tonight.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9291 on: November 02, 2020, 03:05:28 AM »
There are no difference between 148 and 149 Thunders in terms of height correct?

I found this thread which has a lot more info on Thunder truck heights, but I believe them to be the same from 148 up, which is 52.3 mm.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=104383.0
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:20:41 AM by Mbrimson88 »

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #9292 on: November 02, 2020, 03:31:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for the feedback. I'm just going to wait for the thunder aftermarkets to break in and harden up. I have a spare set of bait n tackle but I'd prefer to not cut or trim them. I'll use them in my 5.8 ventures eventually.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #9293 on: November 02, 2020, 05:22:48 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just put a 96 cylinder bottom and 92 top on my indies pretty stoked for the stability. May put a 96 on top too. I worry about losing pinch. If I do.   I’m 6 1’ over well 200lbs.

After thought: I may just put the 96 top on the back truck only
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:48:06 AM by Murge »

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #9294 on: November 02, 2020, 08:27:25 AM »
Any tip to get your trucks to stop leaning/curving towards one side? I’m regular and my board wants to go to the left, whenever I am trying backside tail slides it’s the worst.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9295 on: November 02, 2020, 08:30:25 AM »
Any tip to get your trucks to stop leaning/curving towards one side? I’m regular and my board wants to go to the left, whenever I am trying backside tail slides it’s the worst.
New pivot cups should fix it. Get riptides.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9296 on: November 02, 2020, 10:38:08 AM »
Just curious, how many of you swap your trucks if/when your front truck it at or close to axle?

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9297 on: November 02, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »

You sure it's the trucks and not a warped deck?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #9298 on: November 02, 2020, 11:02:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You sure it's the trucks and not a warped deck?
I’ve been leaving my deck in my car so maybe. I got it a few weeks ago from the Crail store, the new Bennett.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:38:54 PM by Idk »

sammyz

« Reply #9299 on: November 02, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Genius!

I set up my trucks last night, thunder medium bushing on bottom, indy super hard bushing top.

It felt soo good! I could feel that bounce back and resistance when i was leaning...nothing to stop me from turning, but just felt when i was leaning too much.