Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230796 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9420 on: November 27, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »
^You positive they aren't bootleg? There's a lot of bootleg gear out there these days.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9421 on: November 27, 2020, 02:46:07 PM »
^You positive they aren't bootleg? There's a lot of bootleg gear out there these days.

Don't think so, I have bought mountains of gear from my local shop from every thinkable brand (including Bones wheels and bearings). The bushings also work really well. I shot Skate One a message just in case.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9422 on: November 27, 2020, 04:30:54 PM »
Bought a set of Bones Hard bushings, no Bones washers in the package. The instructions said to use your own top washers. What's up with that, is this a hard thing, because I'm pretty sure the mediums I ordered this summer had Bones washers. Bummed about that.

Definitely old stock.  It took them a while to actually have anything else in the packaging, but the two slim flat washers are relatively recent, compared to how long they have been making them.

Anyone remember when they only came in single truck sets too?  That is going back even longer.

Also, this is the sort of thing you can get from a hardware store, just the flat washers with 12mm inner or so.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Diocletian

« Reply #9423 on: November 28, 2020, 07:44:55 AM »
Someone bring me out of truck psychosis here. Lots of being cooped up inside and thinking about gear. I've never tried Ventures and I want to try the cast ones that don't extend the wheelbase any longer than they already are. When I dial them in with the right bushings am I still going to hate these trucks since I'm an Ace head?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9424 on: November 28, 2020, 08:01:34 AM »
Someone bring me out of truck psychosis here. Lots of being cooped up inside and thinking about gear. I've never tried Ventures and I want to try the cast ones that don't extend the wheelbase any longer than they already are. When I dial them in with the right bushings am I still going to hate these trucks since I'm an Ace head?

I don't want to fuel the madness but I go back and forth between venture and ace a lot. I love the turn and grind on the aces but the pop on ventures is just effortless and with a harder bushing and flat washer the turn is pretty excellent.

Regarding what you said about WB, even the cast stretch it a lot compared to ace. I have a pop with a 14.25" WB and venture a shaped board with a 14.8" WB with aces. The pop with ventures ends up with like a 1/8" longer WB. You probably are accounting for that already but I wanted to put it out there because I thought it was pretty wild.

Edit: only chiming in on this because I hate the madness this is causing me and don't want to feel alone in it.

Diocletian

« Reply #9425 on: November 28, 2020, 08:31:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I don't want to fuel the madness but I go back and forth between venture and ace a lot. I love the turn and grind on the aces but the pop on ventures is just effortless and with a harder bushing and flat washer the turn is pretty excellent.

Regarding what you said about WB, even the cast stretch it a lot compared to ace. I have a pop with a 14.25" WB and venture a shaped board with a 14.8" WB with aces. The pop with ventures ends up with like a 1/8" longer WB. You probably are accounting for that already but I wanted to put it out there because I thought it was pretty wild.

Edit: only chiming in on this because I hate the madness this is causing me and don't want to feel alone in it.

Thanks man. I think the stability and kingpin clearance are the main factors in me wanting to try them. Ace are more stable than Indy but sometimes I still find them feeling a bit squirrely under my feet depending on what I'm doing. If Ventures can still carve a bowl and allow me to slappy I'm willing to give them a shot.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9426 on: November 28, 2020, 09:02:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks man. I think the stability and kingpin clearance are the main factors in me wanting to try them. Ace are more stable than Indy but sometimes I still find them feeling a bit squirrely under my feet depending on what I'm doing. If Ventures can still carve a bowl and allow me to slappy I'm willing to give them a shot.

Can't speak for bowls but I would probably be considered a slappy skater and I love them. They definitely need the flat top washer to make them surfy enough, though. I'm like 205 so I also run a harder bushing in mine (94-96) to keep the turn nice and controlled.

Diocletian

« Reply #9427 on: November 28, 2020, 09:27:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Can't speak for bowls but I would probably be considered a slappy skater and I love them. They definitely need the flat top washer to make them surfy enough, though. I'm like 205 so I also run a harder bushing in mine (94-96) to keep the turn nice and controlled.

Yeah, no matter what truck I ALWAYS ditch the top washer and if I really need one, I use the Bones flat washer. I saw this vid of this gentleman explaining his experience with slappies using Ventures, and it has me second guessing now. What are your thoughts?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #9428 on: November 28, 2020, 09:28:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ok so even though the hollow venture los extend wb. On my decks I find they still yield better pop than the casts.

I skate both on decks between 14-14.25wb
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9429 on: November 28, 2020, 09:45:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, no matter what truck I ALWAYS ditch the top washer and if I really need one, I use the Bones flat washer. I saw this vid of this gentleman explaining his experience with slappies using Ventures, and it has me second guessing now. What are your thoughts?

They definitely grind down faster than Indy due to the hanger being less meaty but not as fast as Ace from my experience. The aluminum feels exactly like Indy to me.

I've had no issues with durability or QC, though, no bent axles or anything like that. I also don't skate the stock bushings just because 90a is too soft for me but I know a lot of people mention the stocks blowing out. As far as what he was saying about the smiths...I don't do a lot of them so I've never had that issue but I assume it's possible. That being said it seems a little wild to me due to the kingpin clearance in comparison to Ace or even Indy.

Diocletian

« Reply #9430 on: November 28, 2020, 10:13:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

They definitely grind down faster than Indy due to the hanger being less meaty but not as fast as Ace from my experience. The aluminum feels exactly like Indy to me.

I've had no issues with durability or QC, though, no bent axles or anything like that. I also don't skate the stock bushings just because 90a is too soft for me but I know a lot of people mention the stocks blowing out. As far as what he was saying about the smiths...I don't do a lot of them so I've never had that issue but I assume it's possible. That being said it seems a little wild to me due to the kingpin clearance in comparison to Ace or even Indy.

Thanks a lot for all your feedback man. I weigh about the same as you, so I would need to get some proper aftermarket bushings in these. I can't decide between the 5.6's, 5.8's or the 6.1's.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9431 on: November 28, 2020, 10:24:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thanks a lot for all your feedback man. I weigh about the same as you, so I would need to get some proper aftermarket bushings in these. I can't decide between the 5.6's, 5.8's or the 6.1's.

No problem! Currently running 5.8s with Indy 96a bushings and a bones flat top washer. I've had the 5.6s and they rule but I like the 5.8s for the sake of versatility. I want some 6.1s so I can run them on a shorter WB big boy shape (Dane1 etc).

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #9432 on: November 28, 2020, 04:30:12 PM »
Biggest truck nerd move ever. I wanted something lower than a 3 mm (1/8 inch) riser, but couldn’t find any, so I purchased a small sheet of polycarbonate plastic online and made my own. Traced the baseplate and used simple handheld snips to cut them out. Made perfect 1.5 mm risers which basically raises a forged baseplate to the height of a cast.

The.Tran.Man

• Rep: -2
« Reply #9433 on: November 28, 2020, 09:10:15 PM »
Biggest truck nerd move ever. I wanted something lower than a 3 mm (1/8 inch) riser, but couldn’t find any, so I purchased a small sheet of polycarbonate plastic online and made my own. Traced the baseplate and used simple handheld snips to cut them out. Made perfect 1.5 mm risers which basically raises a forged baseplate to the height of a cast.

let's see pictures!! this seems like a really cool idea tbh

Hanna Schygulla

« Reply #9434 on: November 28, 2020, 09:54:08 PM »
I am a Quiver Guy, but on my main set-up this is what I've been using and I'm really into it:
Ace 44
Riptide pivot cups
Riptide soft 85a blue barrel bottom bushing
stock white Ace top bushing

In a way this might be more of a deck/wheel-based decision, but I also use one 1/8" Modus riser trimmed down to be flush with my baseplates.

MxsDx

• Rep: 98
« Reply #9435 on: November 28, 2020, 11:32:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here you are...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9436 on: November 29, 2020, 02:10:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Here you are...

I was interested to see too.

Looks pretty good, and you don't have any overhang, which was always annoying on any risers that didn't fit nicely, or when people put them on the wrong way.

Makes the trucks sit nicely too!

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9437 on: November 30, 2020, 08:57:07 AM »
Bought a set of Bones Hard bushings, no Bones washers in the package. The instructions said to use your own top washers. What's up with that, is this a hard thing, because I'm pretty sure the mediums I ordered this summer had Bones washers. Bummed about that.

Skate One sent me a replacement set free of charge. Thanks to the guys over there.

35mm

• Rep: 27
« Reply #9438 on: November 30, 2020, 10:22:40 AM »
Has anyone tried thunder 161s? Thoughts on them? I'm planning to size up boards and debating buying them.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9439 on: November 30, 2020, 11:38:15 AM »
Been skating my 149 forged hollows again and having weird difficulty popping out of backside crooks. The board seems to want to primo out of the pop out. Is this a function of tightness/looseness?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9440 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:17 AM »
Been skating my 149 forged hollows again and having weird difficulty popping out of backside crooks. The board seems to want to primo out of the pop out. Is this a function of tightness/looseness?
Nah, just gotta nollie out that beast.

Diocletian

« Reply #9441 on: November 30, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
Has anyone tried thunder 161s? Thoughts on them? I'm planning to size up boards and debating buying them.

I skated them. Didn't like them because at that board size the wheelbase is long and Thunders already have a long wheelbase. You're gonna want Ace or Indy at that size if you're interested in more snap/surf-like turns.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9442 on: November 30, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »

What are you on now and what would change in your setup, eg going to a wider board, might be bigger, longer and with longer wheelbase?

There are a lot of wider boards out now with shorter wheelbases too, so sizing up is not necessarily going to mean longer wheelbase, but comment below is definitely true too.

Didn't like them because at that board size the wheelbase is long and Thunders already have a long wheelbase.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9443 on: November 30, 2020, 06:57:08 PM »
So I tried out the Krux inverted kingpins on my Venture 5.8's. Fit great but there is nothing to keep them from turning when tightening so I JB welded them and fuck I put way too much on there because I stripped out one of the Allen bolts trying to tighten them and broke out all the JB weld. This would be fine, but I can't get the fucker out now. Anyone got any tips, ideally someone who has successfully done the inverted kingpins but on a truck that the baseplate is just a circle at the king pin?

For the JB weld, I applied onto the bottom of the nut, under where the nut sits (where I took out the standard kingpin) and then filled in the rest of the hole, which I where I think I fucked up too much got into the nut as I could only get them snug and made it impossible to tighten all of it ended up cracking out of one, which that kingpin is fine, but can't get it out, tried wedging screwdrivers in the loosening, nothing.

Said Truck that can't get kingpin out of

This one actually worked out, just stripped the Allen key hole, but fortunately I ordered 2 Sets

Looks pretty sick IMO, almost an inch of clearance.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 07:11:41 PM by Lloyd Braun »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9444 on: December 01, 2020, 01:40:20 AM »

Looks pretty sick IMO, almost an inch of clearance.

Wow that is some heavy work there!

So although it is stuck and not going anywhere, it wouldn't happen to be done up about how you like it?

That would be nice.

So you said the allen top is stripped and the nut is loose in the baseplate?

About the only way to get the thing out is cut through the bushing and kingpin, or angle grind the top off or something like that.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9445 on: December 01, 2020, 09:03:49 AM »

Not feeling the Indy inverted kingpin so gonna try if DLKs are any better. Anyone tried this already and have experiences with it?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9446 on: December 01, 2020, 10:06:49 AM »

Not feeling the Indy inverted kingpin so gonna try if DLKs are any better. Anyone tried this already and have experiences with it?

The Krux pin is a bit lower and quite a bit lighter, it also grinds better than the indy pin (shape) that's about it. Def better for slappies.

I'm running the same wheels/pin in mine as well...tho I put them to rest for a bit and switched over to ACEs and classics for a change up.

Sandygoat

• Rep: -45
  • THE BIGGEST SHALOMIE
« Reply #9447 on: December 01, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »
I dont know if this is the wrong board but I'll give it a try. Should I tighten my trucks to have more tension on no complys. I ride my trucks pretty loose on some soft indy bushings. I wonder because they have so much give that all tension is lost. I was think that tightening them would help. Is this just a technique thing ? Any help is appreciated.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #9448 on: December 01, 2020, 07:55:49 PM »
I dont know if this is the wrong board but I'll give it a try. Should I tighten my trucks to have more tension on no complys. I ride my trucks pretty loose on some soft indy bushings. I wonder because they have so much give that all tension is lost. I was think that tightening them would help. Is this just a technique thing ? Any help is appreciated.

One thing that helps me (that I read on here) is to imagine you are skating on a board that is only as wide as your truck baseplates when doing some tricks. The looser I ride my trucks, the narrower the stable point of my board feels, so balancing on an 8.5 might feel more like balancing on the 2’ strip in the center whereas tighter trucks might feel more like balancing on a 4-6’ strip in the center.

Obviously there are tricks requiring tension being applied diagonally across the board, but the narrow center strip idea helps me a lot as a general rule of thumb that helps more often than not.

Hope that helps!

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9449 on: December 01, 2020, 08:52:48 PM »