Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1223664 times)

Beeker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9480 on: December 08, 2020, 11:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Another thing to be aware of with the tensor bushings is the top interlocking portion's depth into the yoke, some trucks (Thunder) don't have a thick enough yoke to house the interlocking portion (I've tried), you'd just end up mashing down/compressing it against the bottom bushing.
[close]

Xen What do you think the difference is wheelbase wise with tensor mag light ATG and indy's?
From what I can tell tensor makes the wb feel are lil longer or am I tripping?
[close]

Ben Degros measure them and put them in the indy category, so pulling them in; I never measured them but found them to feel longer, closer to thunders (I rode them on a 14" WB which is short for me and they felt fine.

I measured mine as exactly the same WB as Thunder. The baseplate extends a solid 3/16" past what Thunders do so maybe that's throwing people off, or maybe I'm wrong.

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #9481 on: December 08, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »
Anyone know where I can buy some inverted kingpins?

These are affordable, same format as the Grind King kingpins. Wider, lower head, no need for a top bushing cup.

https://www.sk8ratz.com/sure-grip-classic-kingpin-3-8-allen-head-kingpin-sold-individually/
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9482 on: December 08, 2020, 12:58:14 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These are affordable, same format as the Grind King kingpins. Wider, lower head, no need for a top bushing cup.

https://www.sk8ratz.com/sure-grip-classic-kingpin-3-8-allen-head-kingpin-sold-individually/
these are quite a bit longer. with an ace top bushing and bottom washer, they're barely snug. any tighter and they'll dig into the board

Nth syd bear

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
« Reply #9483 on: December 08, 2020, 02:13:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Another thing to be aware of with the tensor bushings is the top interlocking portion's depth into the yoke, some trucks (Thunder) don't have a thick enough yoke to house the interlocking portion (I've tried), you'd just end up mashing down/compressing it against the bottom bushing.
[close]

Xen What do you think the difference is wheelbase wise with tensor mag light ATG and indy's?
[close]

Ben Degros measure them and put them in the indy category, so pulling them in; I never measured them but found them to feel longer, closer to thunders (I rode them on a 14" WB which is short for me and they felt fine.
[close]

I measured mine as exactly the same WB as Thunder. The baseplate extends a solid 3/16" past what Thunders do so maybe that's throwing people off, or maybe I'm wrong.

🙂 thank you both for the reply.  Kinda confirms what I was thinking

stets

« Reply #9484 on: December 08, 2020, 02:28:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
these are quite a bit longer. with an ace top bushing and bottom washer, they're barely snug. any tighter and they'll dig into the board

Hacksaw and/or sander should help.

Diocletian

« Reply #9485 on: December 08, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »
I’ve come across some second hand USA stamped Thunder 149s... need help identifying what year these were and if the geometry is any different?

They look like the version of Thunder right before they came out with the "149II's" which is what is known as the 149 today. From what I've read those won't turn good.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #9486 on: December 08, 2020, 05:57:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Those look good. I'll try them maybe in a year after my venture/krux mods are shredded. I like them, just have a feeling im gonna destroy my washer eventuallly.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9487 on: December 08, 2020, 07:08:01 PM »
How often do people with inverted kingpins blow out the allen head or have other issues where they are essentially stuck?

Not judging in any way, just asking and curious, because so many people with the older ones used to have so many issues with them and I really haven't seen many at all in the last ten years.

I still have a few sets of smaller Krux / Silver on boards that were for the kids to use, mainly because the owners couldn't fix them so left them, as well as never having or recommending inverted kingpins in the shop, so I guess it is almost weird to see so many people with inverted kingpins here.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #9488 on: December 08, 2020, 10:02:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

🙂 thank you both for the reply.  Kinda confirms what I was thinking

Just set up my first ever tensors a few weeks ago, so went to measure.
They're on a Baker with an exact 14.25" WB
I got the same overall wheel base as indys, adds 3"
This is with bones + flat washers. nuts flush.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9489 on: December 08, 2020, 10:44:23 PM »
Venture lows + bowls

I mostly ride park where I enjoy the Ventures a lot, but I have been slowly opening up to the bowl next door. Is this setup like bringing a pickup to a racetrack (hopeless) or can it be done with proper skills?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 11:08:04 PM by mbam003 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9490 on: December 09, 2020, 06:58:27 AM »
Venture lows + bowls

I mostly ride park where I enjoy the Ventures a lot, but I have been slowly opening up to the bowl next door. Is this setup like bringing a pickup to a racetrack (hopeless) or can it be done with proper skills?

Do you want to just lean and carve round the bowl (without lifting any wheels off) or do you kick turn around (lift up the front and turn to go round) or both?

Tighter trucks can still carve in a much wider arc, but looser trucks will give you much more of a ride in a bowl.  You can still skate transition or any ramps with tight trucks too, as that will not affect any of the tricks done on ramps if you are going up and down more so than across or around a bowl, but it really depends what you want to get out of it and how much you can or can't do on the existing setup, eg try to lean and turn too much and you might get wheelbite more easily.

mbam003

« Reply #9491 on: December 09, 2020, 07:09:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Venture lows + bowls

[close]

Do you want to just lean and carve round the bowl (without lifting any wheels off) or do you kick turn around (lift up the front and turn to go round) or both?

Tighter trucks can still carve in a much wider arc, but looser trucks will give you much more of a ride in a bowl.  You can still skate transition or any ramps with tight trucks too, as that will not affect any of the tricks done on ramps if you are going up and down more so than across or around a bowl, but it really depends what you want to get out of it and how much you can or can't do on the existing setup, eg try to lean and turn too much and you might get wheelbite more easily.

I want to get into proper carving, not just kickturns. In fact I did yesterday and I experienced what you described, my arc went quite wide, my wheels slipped out and I ate shit. I have Bones bushings in the Ventures, the conical shape actually helps them turn quite a bit more, it just seems like the turn was too delayed in the bowl. This summer I hit the bowl once at 1am with some Indy hollows and it went decently. I might have to consider a pair of Indys or to stay on the park side (where Ventures are excellent).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 07:18:58 AM by mbam003 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9492 on: December 09, 2020, 07:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture lows + bowls

[close]

[close]

I want to get into proper carving, not just kickturns. In fact I did yesterday and I experienced what you described, my arc went quite wide, my wheels slipped out and I ate shit. I'll see what can be done about it, but I probably need a set of Indys - or to stay on the park side ;D I still want to believe it can be done though. I have Bones bushings in the Ventures, the conical shape actually helps them turn quite a bit more (I have tried both), it just seems like the turn was too delayed in the bowl.

Sounds like you are there actually.

Just stay lower over your board, don't lean out / over as much but still put a lot more weight on which ever side you want to turn, but more pressure on your back foot than your front.  You can also try this on flat ground to get the balance right before heading into the deep end of a bowl.

Too much lean on the front foot = wheelbite and stop.
Too much lean on the back foot = maybe wheelbite but will keep going.

Also anyone who would tell you straight up to get new trucks might not understand that all trucks will turn.  Yes taller trucks might turn better and some brands will definitely turn faster than others, but if there is nothing wrong with the trucks you have, you can still make them work.

anon

« Reply #9493 on: December 09, 2020, 07:19:35 AM »
Venture lows + bowls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MXerhH9wvw

mbam003

« Reply #9494 on: December 09, 2020, 07:21:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Venture lows + bowls

[close]

[close]

I want to get into proper carving, not just kickturns. In fact I did yesterday and I experienced what you described, my arc went quite wide, my wheels slipped out and I ate shit. I'll see what can be done about it, but I probably need a set of Indys - or to stay on the park side ;D I still want to believe it can be done though. I have Bones bushings in the Ventures, the conical shape actually helps them turn quite a bit more (I have tried both), it just seems like the turn was too delayed in the bowl.
[close]

Sounds like you are there actually.

Just stay lower over your board, don't lean out / over as much but still put a lot more weight on which ever side you want to turn, but more pressure on your back foot than your front.  You can also try this on flat ground to get the balance right before heading into the deep end of a bowl.

Too much lean on the front foot = wheelbite and stop.
Too much lean on the back foot = maybe wheelbite but will keep going.

Also anyone who would tell you straight up to get new trucks might not understand that all trucks will turn.  Yes taller trucks might turn better and some brands will definitely turn faster than others, but if there is nothing wrong with the trucks you have, you can still make them work.

Thank you. For now I will just try to get better. My trucks tick all the boxes for me except the bowl. I'll try to make it work.

mbam003

« Reply #9495 on: December 09, 2020, 07:29:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Venture lows + bowls

[close]

Stoked on this! Screw gear madness ;D

anon

« Reply #9496 on: December 09, 2020, 07:42:13 AM »
yeah, but since you brought up low trucks, i kinda wanna try ace lows now

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9497 on: December 09, 2020, 07:43:02 AM »

Ha yes, as the small dude with a good sized board for him, he could do so much, some of that footage 18 years apart, but I wonder what he is riding nowdays, or how much his setup has changed.

Beeker

« Reply #9498 on: December 09, 2020, 08:03:58 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yes, as the small dude with a good sized board for him, he could do so much, some of that footage 18 years apart, but I wonder what he is riding nowdays, or how much his setup has changed.

So put a 1/8" riser on Venture lows and rock some 49mm wheels and you ALMOST have as much wheel bite clearance as Brett. Yes you can do it, but it's not the best idea unless you skate pretty damn tight.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #9499 on: December 09, 2020, 08:17:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

So put a 1/8" riser on Venture lows and rock some 49mm wheels and you ALMOST have as much wheel bite clearance as Brett. Yes you can do it, but it's not the best idea unless you skate pretty damn tight.

? Brent said he was on Indy lows, same/similar height to venture, no?

Beeker

« Reply #9500 on: December 09, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy lows are 52mm and venture lows are 48mm afaik.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1107
« Reply #9501 on: December 09, 2020, 09:25:46 AM »
Pretty sure Indy lows were 48. Regular indys, of that era were 53.5, I think (stage 10).

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9502 on: December 09, 2020, 09:27:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy lows are 52mm and venture lows are 48mm afaik.

??? Aren’t Indy lows like 48.5 mm??

Beeker

« Reply #9503 on: December 09, 2020, 09:37:29 AM »
Alright my bad, I'll shut up now.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #9504 on: December 09, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Those look good. I'll try them maybe in a year after my venture/krux mods are shredded. I like them, just have a feeling im gonna destroy my washer eventuallly.

They're for rollerskates, different threads (I know because I have them) so you'll need a different nut than the standard kingpin nuts.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9505 on: December 09, 2020, 12:29:29 PM »
yeah, but since you brought up low trucks, i kinda wanna try ace lows now
Suprisingly good truck, not a lot of kingpin clearance tho. I think they can be ridden much loser than other low trucks without wheelbite but thats just how i felt. Turn is also definitely good enough for carving.

stets

« Reply #9506 on: December 10, 2020, 01:04:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

They're for rollerskates, different threads (I know because I have them) so you'll need a different nut than the standard kingpin nuts.

Oh dang. It's a course thread instead of the standard skate fine thread? That sucks, didn't know. My bad for spreading the word on the imperfect product. It's not a deal breaker if you do the JB Weld conversion (just buy a course version of the nut at a hardware store), but won't work on the new Indy Mid baseplates. Thanks for the firsthand info Xen!

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #9507 on: December 15, 2020, 05:24:26 PM »
I've only ridden standard Indys...
How are the hollows vs regular standard? This is my most curious choice
(Then .. the forged titanium  vs forged hollows?)
I think I am reading that correct, 4 versions? (Not interested in mids at all)

ballintoohard

« Reply #9508 on: December 15, 2020, 06:07:17 PM »
Forged hollows are 1.5mm lower and 100g or so lighter per set which is about 1/4lb overall. I prefer them to standard Indy because of the lower height. Haven’t had the Ti ones yet, but didn’t feel different on my friends board and they’re only an extra 60g lighter per set.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 06:58:06 PM by ballintoohard »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9509 on: December 15, 2020, 06:08:05 PM »
I've only ridden standard Indys...
How are the hollows vs regular standard? This is my most curious choice
(Then .. the forged titanium  vs forged hollows?)
I think I am reading that correct, 4 versions? (Not interested in mids at all)

Certainly a difference in weight and height, but unless you are a very pedantic or extremely sensitive in your setups, they are not going to feel overly different.

That said, standards are 55mm tall on the cast baseplate, anything the forged baseplate are 53.5 mm tall, so a slight difference in height.

For weight, it is about the same as a few coins in your pocket between the various options, so if you definitely need lighter, it will make a difference, but if you don't really need lighter, then it is not going to make a big difference.

I know some people who can really tell with their setups, but there are also lots of others who are not really impacted by it, and depending on how much you want to spend or whatever is actually available, it is still very much up to the individual.

I have skated and had them all, but I keep going back to the simple standard polished as they just work really well for how I skate and what I like, definitely more so than the lower Stage 9 and 10, which I still have on older setups.