Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220720 times)

ballintoohard

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9570 on: December 21, 2020, 09:42:00 PM »
I have a durometer and they measured identical so that would be super odd. They would have to be a fundamentally different material.

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #9571 on: December 22, 2020, 12:06:22 AM »
They used to be slightly different color, stock ones being more yellow-ish orange while aftermarket were bright clean orange. All the sets I’ve seen lately has had those bright orange ones stock.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9572 on: December 22, 2020, 12:30:35 AM »
I have a durometer and they measured identical so that would be super odd. They would have to be a fundamentally different material.
They used to be slightly different color, stock ones being more yellow-ish orange while aftermarket were bright clean orange. All the sets I’ve seen lately has had those bright orange ones stock.

That would make sense then, that the stock ones are now the same as the after market ones.

Just funny that they had such different bushings, even some of the stock dark red coloured ones were so hard compared to the other ones, but all the rest of the stock bushings - white, black, another colour and of course orange in the stage 11s were all the same when we tested them, cause some people were tripping on the different coloured bushings in all the various versions of the trucks, mainly the different graphic trucks, eg Thrasher versions, Wes Kremer, Luan Olivera, round cross logo, bar logo, etc.  So many of them.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9573 on: December 22, 2020, 04:55:36 AM »
Is the added heft on Indy 149 Standards really that relevant in transition vs the Titaniums? I'm trying to get a nice compromise setup going with the 149 Titaniums, but I have been skating a giant bowl recently that requires a lot of carving. Since all the transition dudes skate the standards it leaves me wondering whether the reduced weight and height of the Titaniums is a legit concern that would leave me struggling for stability on carves or just another example of a bad artist blaming the instrument. I'm not gonna do 10 foot airs or go around some gnarly abandoned bowl at Mach 10, but I would appreciate a truck that would be easier to flip around.Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 05:30:02 AM by mbam003 »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9574 on: December 22, 2020, 08:27:43 AM »
I don't think so....I even think something heavier feels more stable.....

BL0B

• Rep: 412
« Reply #9575 on: December 22, 2020, 12:19:09 PM »
if you're buying orange aftermarkets, watch out there's fuckery afoot with shop kids swapping their new stock bushing out for aftermarkets.

aftermarkets are more opaque and the stocks are slightly translucent.

i got some orange aftermarkts sent to me like this, they looked brand new but when i looked close, they were slightly sliver where they sat in the hanger and were more trans than aftermarkets. if i hadn't taken apart a lot of new trucks i might not have noticed.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9576 on: December 22, 2020, 12:57:09 PM »
Weird, mine are sitting right here in good lighting and look identical. I might just put them in to not freak out mentally even tho I'm convinced they're the same. They were brand new out of a box from NHS.

Despite feeling pretty damn at home on my Indy's lately and 139 finally feeling normal. I have a stupid itch to go down to 5.2 Low's and stick around 8-8.25. I like narrower trucks quite a bit more, but a 17.25-17.375WB

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9577 on: December 22, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
if you're buying orange aftermarkets, watch out there's fuckery afoot with shop kids swapping their new stock bushing out for aftermarkets.

aftermarkets are more opaque and the stocks are slightly translucent.

i got some orange aftermarkts sent to me like this, they looked brand new but when i looked close, they were slightly sliver where they sat in the hanger and were more trans than aftermarkets. if i hadn't taken apart a lot of new trucks i might not have noticed.

People have tried that with other bushings too and usually get caught out, but the most annoying one I have heard of is a local shop always upselling to Bones bushings for newbies without even telling the customer, then keeping the Indy stock bushings to sell as plain packaged generic bushings.

Awesome humans!

As to bushing colour, I know I have posted this one before (sorry) but if you check out all up to the second last pic (stock bushings) and the last pic (aftermarket bushings) you can see the difference.

As said, Indy stock are a darker and more murky orange colour, but the aftermarket ones are a lot brighter and more plastic looking, for want of a better explanation but you should get what I mean.  It might not be much, but it is there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpGf4tGlRyf/

mbam003

« Reply #9578 on: December 26, 2020, 05:37:15 AM »
Do forged baseplates throw off nose/tailslides or is it negligible?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9579 on: December 26, 2020, 06:53:30 AM »

They are ever so slightly thinner, but they are stronger, and still slide just as well if not better than the standard cast ones, from what some of the guys I know who skate them a lot.  I have their old gear, including some well worn baseplates, so they would say negligible.

mbam003

« Reply #9580 on: December 26, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They are ever so slightly thinner, but they are stronger, and still slide just as well if not better than the standard cast ones, from what some of the guys I know who skate them a lot.  I have their old gear, including some well worn baseplates, so they would say negligible.

Perfect answer, thanks.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #9581 on: December 27, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »
Have thunder titanium’s being discontinued cause I have not come across since the beginning of the summer

ballintoohard

« Reply #9582 on: December 27, 2020, 08:42:58 PM »
I bought a pair in August so likely not. And DLX had them when I went there in November.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9583 on: December 28, 2020, 11:38:06 AM »

indy hanger, hollow axle
ace baseplate
ace top bushing
indy conical bottom bushing
suregrip kingpin (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3453430#msg3453430)
bones washer
https://gfycat.com/disfiguredmeaslyangelwingmussel
it's okay. gonna go back to stock ace (sans pivot cups) after this

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9584 on: December 28, 2020, 11:50:39 AM »
Thunder 148 team baseplate non hollows.
Ace low bushings
Ace pivot cups only because the stocks blew out.
This is the dream setup for me. Stable while being able to turn sharp when needed. The pop feel on thunders is the best for me and the setups I ride. The only complaint I ever had was the stock bushings blowing out but now that's solved and I couldn't be happier.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #9585 on: December 29, 2020, 05:29:23 AM »

indy hanger, hollow axle
ace baseplate
ace top bushing
indy conical bottom bushing
suregrip kingpin (https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3453430#msg3453430)
bones washer
https://gfycat.com/disfiguredmeaslyangelwingmussel
it's okay. gonna go back to stock ace (sans pivot cups) after this

When my ace die I plan on taking an Indy ti hanger to the ace baseplates. Did it feel close to ace ? Was the geo about the same?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9586 on: December 29, 2020, 05:56:08 AM »
The second half of this video does a great job describing the Indy mids. 

https://youtu.be/Gfk_W3W-xY0

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #9587 on: December 29, 2020, 06:07:07 AM »
^ I'm sure this was already known, but I was interested to learn that they are planning on releasing the inverted kingpin baseplates separately in March that work with all modern Indys.

I don't really have a need for them myself, but I'd be interested to see how a pair of Stage 11s look with Krux DLKs.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #9588 on: December 29, 2020, 07:14:12 AM »
You can buy krux down lo's....I like the design better. 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9589 on: December 29, 2020, 07:59:26 AM »

"I ran a truck company for 17 years, and I still don't understand all the nuances of truck geometry.  I just wanted to make them look like wood."

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9590 on: December 29, 2020, 08:01:46 AM »
I'd be interested to see how a pair of Stage 11s look with Krux DLKs.
Just read through the thread and you'll see a few.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9591 on: December 29, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »

Informative video, I mean, compared to most things that one can find regarding skateboard equipment.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #9592 on: December 29, 2020, 09:44:11 AM »
When my ace die I plan on taking an Indy ti hanger to the ace baseplates. Did it feel close to ace ? Was the geo about the same?
about the same, yes. i can feel the height difference, though. it's a little more tipsy and less stable than ace. also, the distance from the pivot to kingpin is shorter on ace and indy hangers are a bit taller. when combined, the yoke will be at a slight downward angle (compared to stock indy) and the top bushing won't sit properly. others have tried this combination and haven't mentioned this, so it's most likely not that big of a deal. but yeah, feels more like an ace

Diocletian

« Reply #9593 on: December 29, 2020, 12:05:22 PM »
I've ran Indy hangers on Ace baseplates and as long as the bottom bushing is an Ace or Krux with the included bottom washer, the top bushing sits fine for whatever bushing you choose.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9594 on: December 29, 2020, 05:25:09 PM »

Forged and Ti mids @ 50.5mm coming out next spring.  Timestamp 13:16

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9595 on: December 29, 2020, 05:26:22 PM »
I've ran Indy hangers on Ace baseplates and as long as the bottom bushing is an Ace or Krux with the included bottom washer, the top bushing sits fine for whatever bushing you choose.

Why did you stop? No diss: I know you liked the ace turn, but weren’t fond of the qc. Seems like the Indy hanger/ace plate would be the answer for you.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9596 on: December 30, 2020, 03:15:40 AM »

Sure does!

If I wasn't so happily setup with a dozen sets of regular Stage 11 149s on my boards, I would be so keen to buy / try a set of mids after watching this.

It would be interesting to see some and feel how they skate anyway, but I am more than happy with what I already have.

This definitely puts them in a better light than just the specs or the Ben DG video, but Ron is NHS to the core, so is also a good salesman for his own in house brands.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #9597 on: December 30, 2020, 06:05:13 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure does!

If I wasn't so happily setup with a dozen sets of regular Stage 11 149s on my boards, I would be so keen to buy / try a set of mids after watching this.

It would be interesting to see some and feel how they skate anyway, but I am more than happy with what I already have.

This definitely puts them in a better light than just the specs or the Ben DG video, but Ron is NHS to the core, so is also a good salesman for his own in house brands.

Agreed.  Very interesting point he makes about the shaft nut increasing the weight and that being centered on the baseplate.  I remember reading that Rodney Mullen would tape or glue BBs in the cavities of his baseplate for added weight in the center of his board.

None of this is going to help me tre flip though haha

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9598 on: December 30, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure does!

[close]

Agreed.  Very interesting point he makes about the shaft nut increasing the weight and that being centered on the baseplate.  I remember reading that Rodney Mullen would tape or glue BBs in the cavities of his baseplate for added weight in the center of his board.

None of this is going to help me tre flip though haha

I’m not sure why this trick has gotten so far away from me. Once upon a back in the day it was easier than a kickflip, now it’s not gonna happen. The best I can do is make it look like I’m 2 or 3 tries from putting it down. Mirage.
I’d sadly buy whatever setup I thought would make this easier....but the setup I need is new mcls.
The mids do look interesting to me, haven’t heard anyone really extol the virtues of them tho.
The setup in the video looked sick and I found myself wanting to get it, dude is like a foot taller than me tho. Not sure why wide shit looks so cool to me.

Diocletian

« Reply #9599 on: December 30, 2020, 07:54:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why did you stop? No diss: I know you liked the ace turn, but weren’t fond of the qc. Seems like the Indy hanger/ace plate would be the answer for you.

The madness never stops....