Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221049 times)

Diocletian

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9810 on: February 18, 2021, 02:06:13 PM »
Those trucks look amazing with all the work put in on them. I would never sell those, though. That's like practicing for something, winning first place, then selling your gold medal. Makes no sense.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #9811 on: February 18, 2021, 02:32:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Random question, not sure if this is the best place to ask, but does anyone ride smaller trucks than their deck width? Hearing Reynolds and some other OGs ride like 8.0 trucks on 8.5 decks had me really intrigued for awhile but I never bothered to try.

I heard it makes scooping and flipping tricks easier? Any downsides aside from stability and grinding space? Wanted to see if there are any strong opinions out there before I take apart my deck.
[close]

Lots of people do, some by accident and some on purpose who love the "magic carpet ride".

It definitely changes the feel of the board, but generally a truck that sits fairly evenly with the deck or a bit under works best.  A good way just to feel it out too is take out all the axle washers and that will narrow the wheels on the trucks by a few mm, but I prefer washers on the inside and wheels sitting wide, but still not more than the deck is wide.

Sizing down a lot makes a board very tippy, but I know people like the feel of that, some saying it is better for flips, etc.

What are you on now and what are you thinking of trying?
[close]

Thanks for the advice on the washers. I might try that out first.

I have a hockey 8.25 with Indy 144 standards. They feel really nice, but even though I wore them down, the trucks are heavy for me. I was thinking of tossing some Indy 129 titaniums I have on a cruiser on it to see how it would feel. Would the 129s and extra washers be weird you think? I’ve ridden 8.0 trucks on a 8.25 but haven’t gone down like 2 sizes before.

*Edit - for the record, I’m not a tall dude and can skate the 129s completely fine on a smaller deck (they don’t feel too unstable when riding on a 7.75 for example).

I think the muska did 129s on an 8, and Greco did something more extreme. I’ve done 5.0s on an 8, was fine, used extra washers. Wasn’t helpful tho (I was hoping for some extra scoop, easier 360 flips)

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9812 on: February 18, 2021, 02:56:45 PM »
rode 5.2s (lows) on an 8.5 with three inside washers, cant recommend it. if you really love small trucks and dont want to size up, it may very well work.

if you are accustomed to your trucks being .25 smaller/larger than your deck, its going to feel pretty weird and take time to adjust to. its worth depends on the skater and what you are willing to give up. wheelbite was more frequent, landings and hill bombs felt sketchier, less room to grind. flip tricks felt more compact and easier to throw but it was negligible/bad to me, i struggle with landings if im not fully focused. went up to 5.6s and had a much better time.

if you have the trucks available its worth a shot but definitely dont buy new trucks for something like that. ended up being a waste for me because i dont ride anything less than 8.5, had to sell basically brand new trucks for little return. at least i know better
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9813 on: February 18, 2021, 02:59:55 PM »
rode 5.2s (lows) on an 8.5 with three inside washers, cant recommend it. if you really love small trucks and dont want to size up, it may very well work.

if you are accustomed to your trucks being .25 smaller/larger than your deck, its going to feel pretty weird and take time to adjust to. its worth depends on the skater and what you are willing to give up. wheelbite was more frequent, landings and hill bombs felt sketchier, less room to grind. flip tricks felt more compact and easier to throw but it was negligible/bad to me, i struggle with landings if im not fully focused. went up to 5.6s and had a much better time.

if you have the trucks available its worth a shot but definitely dont buy new trucks for something like that. ended up being a waste for me because i dont ride anything less than 8.5, had to sell basically brand new trucks for little return. at least i know better

Exactly my experience except with 5.2 (not lows) on an 8.25... coming from 5.8 on 8.25/8.38/8.5

I do however have a big 8.8 shaped board that had Thunder 151s on it, axles poked out a bit due to taper, put old venture 5.8s on it and I feel like the skinnier trucks on that made it noticeably better to do kickflips, nollie/sw flips and tres on. Not exactly my go to flatground board though, but there's probably merit to the idea that skinnier trucks have better leverage for flipping.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:29:53 PM by tzhangdox »

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #9814 on: February 18, 2021, 03:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess general consensus is that the benefits are negligible. I might try it if I get bored, but I think I’m blaming my gear for my lack of ability lol.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9815 on: February 18, 2021, 06:31:17 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! I guess general consensus is that the benefits are negligible. I might try it if I get bored, but I think I’m blaming my gear for my lack of ability lol.

You can always just change over the hangers, not needing to take the whole truck off the board, but for some people who have the bushings just right, I would be leaving the kingpin nut as the last thing to touch.

As you said, you have the parts, so if you had time, it can't hurt to try a few variations.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9816 on: February 18, 2021, 11:47:03 PM »
Those trucks look amazing with all the work put in on them. I would never sell those, though. That's like practicing for something, winning first place, then selling your gold medal. Makes no sense.

hahaha thank you :'-o

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9817 on: February 19, 2021, 06:51:17 PM »
Expand Quote
i am curious to know how much weight is taken off when a standard indy (~144) is ground down to the axle.

also why do people switch out the trucks when they hit the axle? i suppose you could still grind the axle, or does it snap instantly and/or make the grinds super sticky?

been trying to peice together a cruiser, wanted the indy turn with less weight :p
[close]

Maybe a Ben DG video, his standards were lighter when worn down than his hollow forged or something, but it might only reduce the weight by 20 grams unless you really took a lot off each truck.

I often try to save old trucks worn down to axle and use them on cruisers or even boards that people don't grind on much, so that is a good retirement and they can last indefinitely.

Some people take great pride in grinding them until they break, and as said that can take a long time even after you hit axle, but if they are skated as normal trucks until they are down to axle and at the point where new trucks would be good, that is the time to turn them into cruiser trucks.  Solid axle will last longer than hollow axle when they grind down.

These have been on ebay au for a while (not mine), but I don't need any more trucks.  They definitely seem at the far end of useful life, but the weight loss would be considerable.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Independent-Trucks-144-Hollow/164702931385

woah holy fuck thats so clean! carved by god himself.
thanks to everyone for responding lol i would gnar but im jr member :(
always liked to lean and crunch through grinds sounds like great news :)))
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #9818 on: February 21, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »

I ride stage 11 indy 149 Ti forged, with bones medium bushings, with the nut flush, or even a little looser. the bottom bushings never last more than 3-4 months, sometimes less, so I have a bunch of top bushings that are fine, and a lot of the bones kingpin washers that come with them. Has anyone tried running top bushings on both the top and bottom, but adding 2-3 truck washers under the bottom bushing? Any accomplished truck engineers /nerds who can give me some pros/cons of such a setup?
i hope you all forgive me for not reading 329 pages to see if this has already been answered.
Thanks in advance

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #9819 on: February 21, 2021, 02:38:49 PM »

I ride stage 11 indy 149 Ti forged, with bones medium bushings, with the nut flush, or even a little looser. the bottom bushings never last more than 3-4 months, sometimes less, so I have a bunch of top bushings that are fine, and a lot of the bones kingpin washers that come with them. Has anyone tried running top bushings on both the top and bottom, but adding 2-3 truck washers under the bottom bushing? Any accomplished truck engineers /nerds who can give me some pros/cons of such a setup?
i hope you all forgive me for not reading 329 pages to see if this has already been answered.
Thanks in advance
It should ride pretty similar if you get the height to match a bottom bushing using washers. Id suggest trying out bones hard bushings. They are stiff at first but once broken in they are much better and don't blow out. You could even mix it up with a hard bottom and med top to brake in the bottom first so when you put the hard top on it wont feel like a big change. Indy black bushings with the bottom barrel feel very similar to broken in bones hards too.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #9820 on: February 23, 2021, 03:01:39 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance
[close]
It should ride pretty similar if you get the height to match a bottom bushing using washers. Id suggest trying out bones hard bushings. They are stiff at first but once broken in they are much better and don't blow out. You could even mix it up with a hard bottom and med top to brake in the bottom first so when you put the hard top on it wont feel like a big change. Indy black bushings with the bottom barrel feel very similar to broken in bones hards too.
thanks, i set it up with three washers at the bottom against the baseplate, two bones washers and one thicker washer (about 1.8 x the thickness of a bones washer) from a hardware store. I got 20metres down the road and immediately stopped to remove one bones washer from each, it was too tight and didn't carve right. Now it's riding great. The top nut is flush, and it feels a little looser than riding them with the regular bones bushings setup. Somehow feels like it has more pop too, like it's lifted the wheels a little higher and out, lengthening the wheelbase marginally while still feeling as loose as i like it, but hey, that might be all in my head.

TLDR:
Yup, it works great, thanks

Boog

• Rep: 190
« Reply #9821 on: February 23, 2021, 05:17:18 AM »
Expand Quote

Thanks in advance
[close]
Bones hards are the way to go. I've been on here telling people that but they don't listen.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9822 on: February 24, 2021, 07:24:54 AM »
Old mate taking things to the next level once more.

How about that setup in the video he made...

Amazing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLmEeB_lbgG/

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #9823 on: February 24, 2021, 12:47:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Great job on the finish, those are SAF! I'm running the Bones meds top and bottom, same overall effect as the tensor top, no bottom washer and Ti nuts as well on my Maglights; that washer tho...looks sick...ebay seller has it listed at 6.2g, stock cup washer is 4/5g ...@$12 a washer, it's adding weight? I just use the bones washer on top (2g)..thunder are 4g each as well tho, indy's are, like everything else they make, heavier as well (but if I had t bet, more durable).
[close]

Thanks Xen! So I took one off and it measured in at just a hair above 3g. So they are MARGINALLY lighter, haha. Luckily I got the top washer cheaper than it is now. But also I figured, might as well go that extra step, complete the light weight Titanium mania. Haha

Also, for that inverted kingpin loving crowd, I found a Ti bolt from an auto parts resource that is like a flat top Bones washer as the head of the bolt. It's perfect kingpin size, length, pitch, etc. Here it is mocked up with a Bones bushing (it's my bottom bushing, but it gets the point across...) Not modding these trucks to use this, but I will be putting them in some Indy's after I buy a pair of the new inverted baseplates when those are on the market.

that kingpin is wild

drinny

• Rep: 22
« Reply #9824 on: February 24, 2021, 01:13:54 PM »
I need to know about that kingpin! Specs, name, is it Allen key? Weight compared to a Krux hollow DLK? 😮

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #9825 on: February 24, 2021, 01:26:51 PM »
I love that the inverted Ace kingpin guy appears to have built an entire apparatus for kingpin removal. I'd place that thing on my vise and whack it with a dead blow, but I appreciate the commitment

But anyway, I also need details on that titanium kingpin. Part number, plz
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #9826 on: February 24, 2021, 06:12:58 PM »
Old mate taking things to the next level once more.

How about that setup in the video he made...

Amazing!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLmEeB_lbgG/

also im impressed with how easy it popped out. i've never had the luck of and easy kingpin removal

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9827 on: February 24, 2021, 10:34:54 PM »
Ti hardware co. isn't the worst idea.....or just curate all the better versions....I think they are out there....

Let us know the specs because the new Indy set up is trash....the new thunder will be trash.....

Diocletian

« Reply #9828 on: February 25, 2021, 07:22:27 AM »
Eventually when you grind the hanger down enough, you'll start touching that inverted kingpin, and it being Ti, it will grind funky on certain surfaces based on what people have said about that Theeve TiH hanger.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #9829 on: February 25, 2021, 11:38:38 PM »
There's a ton of clearance with that.....you'll hit the axel before you hit the head....

sketchyrider

« Reply #9830 on: February 26, 2021, 06:43:29 AM »
anyone else not get great grooves on their truck? maybe i swap them out too much, maybe its cause i do too many slash grinds...maybe just shit technique, but it seems like i barely get grooves going, its like the whole truck wears almost evenly.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #9831 on: February 26, 2021, 10:09:04 AM »
anyone else not get great grooves on their truck? maybe i swap them out too much, maybe its cause i do too many slash grinds...maybe just shit technique, but it seems like i barely get grooves going, its like the whole truck wears almost evenly.

You gotta really grind them in for deep grooves. Depends on what you're skating too. Some trucks I had but only skated at a skatepark with rounded angle iron had barely anything on them compared to a set I did mainly slappy grinds with on crunchy curbs

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #9832 on: February 26, 2021, 11:14:26 AM »
Depends on what you're skating too. Some trucks I had but only skated at a skatepark with rounded angle iron had barely anything on them compared to a set I did mainly slappy grinds with on crunchy curbs
Yeah, one day skating concrete and my 139s are ground down further than the 149s that have been used for over a year at just the park

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9833 on: February 26, 2021, 11:57:58 AM »
Got some riptides set up in my Aces after having really good experiences running them in Thunders - even got the Ace-specific ones, but I feel like it's made my board more herky-jerky than it was before - almost like the metal truck components won't sit right on the bushings.

I'm running stock bushings and don't know if changing those out would do anything, but just curious if anyone else has had this experience before.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #9834 on: February 26, 2021, 11:59:18 AM »
Also, as a side note, is it generally accepted that lighter people should run softer bushings? I'm 5'9" and weigh about 140 at my max

Diocletian

« Reply #9835 on: February 26, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »
Got some riptides set up in my Aces after having really good experiences running them in Thunders - even got the Ace-specific ones, but I feel like it's made my board more herky-jerky than it was before - almost like the metal truck components won't sit right on the bushings.

I'm running stock bushings and don't know if changing those out would do anything, but just curious if anyone else has had this experience before.

I think this comes down to Ace's QC. I've had sets where Riptides fit perfectly. Then took the same broken-in Riptides and used them for a different set of Ace's, and the pivot nub on the hanger will NOT stay in there and the geometry is all messed up after I squish everything down and secure the kingpin nut.

I also just set up some 22's last night and noticed inside the pivot cavity when i took the cups out, there were a ton of holes from bubbles in the aluminum or something. Same on another set of brand new 11's that I got for my nephew's first board. The pivot mold in Ace baseplates seems to have taken a bad turn. I notice a lot of photos of Ace's on the web of the latest batches, along with my 11's and 22's, the stock pivot cups and riptides sit cockeyed in the baseplate because the actual mold itself seems altered or something. Might not have any effect on the ride but it just screams Chi-nah

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #9836 on: February 26, 2021, 01:12:43 PM »
Been having an all out gear madness personal crisis and I went back to my old ways of running indy 159 hollows on an 8.5. Had the best session I have had in a long time yesterday on that setup. Also I threw in ace low bushings with the washers that came with them and they are perfect. I am a full ace bushing convert now.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9837 on: February 26, 2021, 09:16:40 PM »
Also, as a side note, is it generally accepted that lighter people should run softer bushings? I'm 5'9" and weigh about 140 at my max

A lighter body will find it much harder to put weight into turning trucks than a heavier body, who might often put too much turn (and wheelbite) on the same duro bushings, most being about 90A duro in the stock bushings, but can go down as far as Indy super soft 78 or up as high as 99 or even 100 super hard kegs.

I know some super big dudes who ride the softest bushings and like it that way, but that is the exception as most bigger guys ride harder bushings and smaller dudes ride softer bushings or struggle to turn on stock bushings.

I have helped a lot of younger and lighter bodies with both these options equally, but if you cannot turn with normal bushings, you can either cut the tops down on the ones you currently have, or just buy softer bushings to replace what you currently have.

Lots of choices, maybe too many.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #9838 on: February 27, 2021, 07:42:34 AM »

This is what I did for a long time. I found that Ace bushings were perfect as-is, so I stopped futzing once I made the switch. But yeah, soft white Indy bushings made the trucks much more enjoyable for me
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9839 on: February 28, 2021, 02:19:38 AM »
Does anyone run a tighter front truck? I know a lot of people do the tighter at the back, looser at the front. I used to do this too but kinda stopped since I skate a lot of switch/fakie so I try have it exactly the same.

I think I could use a bit more stability when setting up for certain switch and nollie tricks, but besides that I do like my current looseness. Tighter at the front and looser at the back sounds weird but maybe it could work? Anyone ever done this before?

edit: did this, definitely helps a little bit, but feels really weird. But doesn't affect performance or anything.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 08:11:12 PM by tzhangdox »