Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220936 times)

Boog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 190
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #9840 on: February 28, 2021, 04:54:23 AM »
Does anyone run a tighter front truck? I know a lot of people do the tighter at the back, looser at the front. I used to do this too but kinda stopped since I skate a lot of switch/fakie so I try have it exactly the same.

I think I could use a bit more stability when setting up for certain switch and nollie tricks, but besides that I do like my current looseness. Tighter at the front and looser at the back sounds weird but maybe it could work? Anyone ever done this before?
When I first started skatboarding my friend's brother who I really looked up to and was really good told me to ride my trucks like that because it made switch easier. So I did that for years until I quit and now that I've been skatboarding again for a couple years I've done the looser front tighter back. I ride goofy. I'm heavier on my left foot when skating switch/fakie so I think it makes more since to have a tighter back truck for me.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #9841 on: February 28, 2021, 09:21:03 AM »

Indy aftermarket barrel bottom bushing, bones top bushing; best combo ever.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9842 on: February 28, 2021, 11:31:25 AM »
The last year of this thread is basically people's experiments getting Ventures to turn well and problems with Ace QC

sk8_cat

• Rep: 3
« Reply #9843 on: February 28, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
I need some desperate help with my thunder trucks guys. I switched from riding indys about a year ago and I've been having a lot of issues with the bushings.. in general I like my trucks on the tighter side so I switched stock for aftermarket thunders 94a 95a(rebuild kit) and they keep on blowing out within the first month right after they get that broken in feeling. I tried also getting some of the DLX supercush bushings which are supposedly a fit for thunders but they didn't seem to fit at all.. if anything they were fatter than an indy bushing so I didn't even try riding those. So I guess I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any other alternatives like bones bushings and how well they ride. I am also planning to get some of the 97 and 100a thunder bushings and see if I have any better luck with the blowouts.

ballintoohard

« Reply #9844 on: February 28, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
Weird, I wish I could help but I have had nothing but fantastic luck with Thunder bushings in general be it stock or rebuild.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9845 on: February 28, 2021, 04:15:22 PM »
I need some desperate help with my thunder trucks guys. I switched from riding indys about a year ago and I've been having a lot of issues with the bushings.. in general I like my trucks on the tighter side so I switched stock for aftermarket thunders 94a 95a(rebuild kit) and they keep on blowing out within the first month right after they get that broken in feeling. I tried also getting some of the DLX supercush bushings which are supposedly a fit for thunders but they didn't seem to fit at all.. if anything they were fatter than an indy bushing so I didn't even try riding those. So I guess I just wanted to ask if anyone knows of any other alternatives like bones bushings and how well they ride. I am also planning to get some of the 97 and 100a thunder bushings and see if I have any better luck with the blowouts.

Are you using the correct size metal washers for the bushings?

Stock thunders are conical shape and have a smaller bottom washer, as do the rebuild kit.

Super cush are the cylinder shape and don't come with metal washers so you cannot use the Thunder washers for those - as you said they will not work - but if you still have the Indy washers you can put them in and they will work fine, but might not feel comfortable for how you skate.

In blowing out, do you mean they split and come apart?  Thunder bushings do this more than some other brands, but it is also down to how tight you have them and how much pressure you are putting on them, eg bushings that are tightened down too much or have too much pressure put on them will be a lot more likely to split and break.

Any of the Indy aftermarket kits have all bushings and metal washers included, and don't really split or come apart the way other brands do, so you could try the black cylinder (not conical) 94s and see if that makes any difference, or at least re try the super cush with those washers.

Lastly, you could try the Bones hard bushings, either with or without washers, but people I know who ride them with all the metal washers have fewer issues with them blowing out than to ride them without washers, and these guys are the sort of dudes to blow out stuff and break stuff more than others.  They might take a minute to wear in but they soften up well and with washers, it keeps all the parts together, contrary to the depictions on the Bones "How to" use their bushings or what others say on here.

Just a few options anyway.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Fooj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #9846 on: February 28, 2021, 06:15:46 PM »
Bones hards and call it a day. I had the same issues with the stock thunder bushings blowing out

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9847 on: February 28, 2021, 08:10:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Bones hards and call it a day. I had the same issues with the stock thunder bushings blowing out

This or Indy hards for more stability, reduced turn.

Niceblackman

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 2
« Reply #9848 on: February 28, 2021, 08:26:05 PM »
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

There’s a link to that titanium bolt that could be used as an inverted kingpin... I may try it out.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #9849 on: February 28, 2021, 09:59:44 PM »
Does anyone run a tighter front truck? I know a lot of people do the tighter at the back, looser at the front. I used to do this too but kinda stopped since I skate a lot of switch/fakie so I try have it exactly the same.

I think I could use a bit more stability when setting up for certain switch and nollie tricks, but besides that I do like my current looseness. Tighter at the front and looser at the back sounds weird but maybe it could work? Anyone ever done this before?

edit: did this, definitely helps a little bit, but feels really weird. But doesn't affect performance or anything.

I run my trucks like this. Albeit the front is just tighter enough so that it’s noticeable, but barely. I’ve always done it like this so I don’t know much different, but compared to my friends boards with looser front/equal trucks, my board feels more stable at high speeds and setting up for switch feels more comfy and stable.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #9850 on: February 28, 2021, 10:02:38 PM »
Expand Quote

edit: did this, definitely helps a little bit, but feels really weird. But doesn't affect performance or anything.
[close]

I run my trucks like this. Albeit the front is just tighter enough so that it’s noticeable, but barely. I’ve always done it like this so I don’t know much different, but compared to my friends boards with looser front/equal trucks, my board feels more stable at high speeds and setting up for switch feels more comfy and stable.

Yup. There's just a few switch/nollie tricks that I need a little help with setting up for. Will probably have it just ever so slightly tighter, probably cranked it down a bit much today it definitely felt a bit unnatural.

Definitely made me realise that the tighter back/looser front conventional wisdom isn't ideal for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:25:43 PM by tzhangdox »

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #9851 on: February 28, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »
I’d been having some issues with my stock Indy bushings feeling less responsive lately, so I dug out some old bones softs and messed with some different configurations. I settled on a bones soft top and an Indy bottom, and I think this was my biggest breakthrough in my setup in a minute. If you like medium tightness trucks but want quicker responsiveness I would absolutely try this out. My trucks are Indy Forged Hollows 149 on an 8.5 deck if that matters to someone.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #9852 on: February 28, 2021, 10:38:01 PM »
I’d been having some issues with my stock Indy bushings feeling less responsive lately, so I dug out some old bones softs and messed with some different configurations. I settled on a bones soft top and an Indy bottom, and I think this was my biggest breakthrough in my setup in a minute. If you like medium tightness trucks but want quicker responsiveness I would absolutely try this out. My trucks are Indy Forged Hollows 149 on an 8.5 deck if that matters to someone.

Bespoke bushings combo like telling your coworkers your dreams

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9853 on: February 28, 2021, 11:02:50 PM »
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Tru-Lite-Titanium-Seat-Bolt-3-8-24-Thread-x-2-Inch,34338.html

There’s a link to that titanium bolt that could be used as an inverted kingpin... I may try it out.

Thanks!  Maybe when they drop TI's or hollows I'll try em....a thunder team with those would be good...

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #9854 on: March 01, 2021, 10:54:56 PM »
Can anyone tell if Jaakko Ojanen is riding Indy 149s from the proportions?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:06:45 PM by mbam003 »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9855 on: March 01, 2021, 11:07:36 PM »
Can anyone tell if these are Indy 149s from the proportions?

Where did I just see that recently?  He did a wallie up or something and back 360 kickflip off.

They could be 149s with washers on the inside, but look more like 159s with minimal washers and fat wheels.

Usually if you can freeze on the underside of the board, 149s have only four hole baseplates, but 159+ in standard have six holes, so the two extra at the front.  Might be a long shot, but I have seen things like that before, eg Evan Smith Indy setup video, where he has one 149 and one 159... whatever, hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlMKRqmzLj0

mbam003

« Reply #9856 on: March 01, 2021, 11:37:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Can anyone tell if these are Indy 149s from the proportions?

[close]

Where did I just see that recently?  He did a wallie up or something and back 360 kickflip off.

They could be 149s with washers on the inside, but look more like 159s with minimal washers and fat wheels.

Usually if you can freeze on the underside of the board, 149s have only four hole baseplates, but 159+ in standard have six holes, so the two extra at the front.  Might be a long shot, but I have seen things like that before, eg Evan Smith Indy setup video, where he has one 149 and one 159... whatever, hey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlMKRqmzLj0

That clip is on his Instagram and that's what he did yeah, crazy. I was actually thinking whether those could be the 139's given how agile he was in that clip :-[ But it looks like that's out of the question nowadays.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 11:46:35 PM by mbam003 »

mbam003

« Reply #9857 on: March 02, 2021, 02:13:47 AM »
Jaakko responded to me, he's riding 149s.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9858 on: March 02, 2021, 02:33:06 AM »

Sweet!

Most normal (nice) people reply more to questions about their board setups than other weird questions, but I think it would get pretty crazy being asked every second post all the same questions, as I have seen on some comments of some pro riders, including some on here too, eg "What pants are those tho???" and "what place is this?" etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLfQbgtFG8l/

mbam003

« Reply #9859 on: March 02, 2021, 05:25:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Sweet!

Most normal (nice) people reply more to questions about their board setups than other weird questions, but I think it would get pretty crazy being asked every second post all the same questions, as I have seen on some comments of some pro riders, including some on here too, eg "What pants are those tho???" and "what place is this?" etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLfQbgtFG8l/

That's why skaters should do more stuff like My Indys :) He has some amazing dexterity with those big trucks.

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #9860 on: March 02, 2021, 08:44:37 AM »
The last year of this thread is basically people's experiments getting Ventures to turn well and problems with Ace QC

I feel seen. I had Ace 44s which had a bent axle and switched it up for some Venture 5.8 V-Lights. Both are stock and so far, I'm really liking the Ventures.

Fooj

• Rep: 180
« Reply #9861 on: March 05, 2021, 10:43:04 PM »
the current set up:
5.6 Cast Highs
Bones Hards
Top washer on bottom and Bones washer on top

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #9862 on: March 06, 2021, 06:08:43 AM »
Much thanks to everyone...I put med bones in my mag lights and it is a sick combo, just like you said it would be. There was zero break-in time.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9863 on: March 07, 2021, 07:25:03 AM »

Skateboards and angle grinders might not seem like a good combination, but it is the most common power tool I use for fixing and cleaning up old parts, mainly wheels and in this case, the kingpins on moderately grinded down Indy trucks.
These came to me from someone who was starting to have issues with the kingpin catching on grinds and with the trucks worn down to the point where there was minimal clearance, I took a few mm off the kingpins and now they grind nicely again.
I can still get the kingpin nut off and back on easily enough, but as with other trucks I have done this to in the past, I get the bushings set up to where I like them, low heads of course so there is much more clearance, and then grind down the kingpin to just on the nut and it is good to go.
I forgot to take pics of the trucks before taking the grinder to them, but compared to standard Stage XI Independent trucks that have a lot of clearance when new, they look more like the older stages, or some other truck brands where the kingpin is not even one single mm under the hanger from new. Now there is about 5 mm or so clearance, which is plenty.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMGt_osFWe0/

sketchyrider

« Reply #9864 on: March 07, 2021, 02:40:33 PM »
not sure if anyone cares, but i'm starting to think lightweight trucks are easier when stomping the tail down, but leveling out the ollie with your front foot takes more effort.

i first noticed it with some old theeve ti-axes, felt like my kickflips needed a karate kick compared to some standard indys. wasn't sure if it was a fluke.

then i set up a deck with some hollow 159s on a whim the other day, and it felt like my ollies stuck to my back foot nice. with 159 titaniums, i do a lot of accidental ollie south kinda deals.

would love to hear anyone else's thoughts on this, i feel the madness brewing.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #9865 on: March 08, 2021, 04:29:22 PM »
So, I’ve read on this thread that forged hollow Indy extends wheelbase to same as Thunder levels, and it’s a lower than standard Indy…but does anyone know if that is to do with the hanger design or is it the baseplate?

Asking because I have forged hollow 149’s and a standard hollow 159’s…if I switch baseplates will the 149 go to standard indy wheelbase? I’m trying to avoid buying another set of trucks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9866 on: March 08, 2021, 04:41:50 PM »
So, I’ve read on this thread that forged hollow Indy extends wheelbase to same as Thunder levels, and it’s a lower than standard Indy…but does anyone know if that is to do with the hanger design or is it the baseplate?

Asking because I have forged hollow 149’s and a standard hollow 159’s…if I switch baseplates will the 149 go to standard indy wheelbase? I’m trying to avoid buying another set of trucks

They both fit the other, so change them out and see.  I think the angle on the forged baseplate was slightly different, which accounted for the ever so slight (not even 2mm) difference in wheelbase, and 1.5mm difference in height.

Also when I was messing round with the bushings, especially the bottom bushing, this changes the angle of the trucks turning and the wheelbase more so than the standard / forged baseplate, eg having a lower bottom bushing (shorter wheelbase) or a taller one (longer wheelbase) but the difference all up was minimal.

sammyz

• Rep: 82
« Reply #9867 on: March 08, 2021, 05:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They both fit the other, so change them out and see.  I think the angle on the forged baseplate was slightly different, which accounted for the ever so slight (not even 2mm) difference in wheelbase, and 1.5mm difference in height.

Also when I was messing round with the bushings, especially the bottom bushing, this changes the angle of the trucks turning and the wheelbase more so than the standard / forged baseplate, eg having a lower bottom bushing (shorter wheelbase) or a taller one (longer wheelbase) but the difference all up was minimal.

makes sense...so maybe I put in two top bushings into the forged hollow and that will reduce WB and height...could be interesting results

Diocletian

« Reply #9868 on: March 10, 2021, 11:56:45 AM »
Anyone with inverted kingpin experience know if JB Weld puddy is the only stuff that works? Or is there any type of glue that you can just squirt all around the nut and it works the same? Like Gorilla Glue or something like that.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #9869 on: March 10, 2021, 12:24:29 PM »
Anyone with inverted kingpin experience know if JB Weld puddy is the only stuff that works? Or is there any type of glue that you can just squirt all around the nut and it works the same? Like Gorilla Glue or something like that.

I wouldn't use anything else. Gorilla Glue is just super glue with some urethane compound added to it for flexibility, but I wouldn't trust that shit to hold a teapot together let alone a skate truck. Other people super glue their kingpin nut on so.... I guess it depends on how much risk you're willing to take. Once CA glue cracks it's dust.

JB weld is high temp epoxy, so you could theoretically use another brand of high temp, 2-part epoxy, but you wouldn't be saving cash or anything. Is it an availability thing?