Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1230918 times)

Frank and Fred

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10140 on: May 23, 2021, 09:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Feeling a touch of the madness, how do you guys choose truck size for a shaped board? Let it hotrod on the narrow side, or go tucked in? I've seen both. I go a little wider with my trucks on popsicles but it seems weirder for fish shaped boards / eggs. How did people run it in the heyday of shaped boards?
[close]

Generally, use the width of the board at the narrowest point over the back truck and pick based on that. So if it's 8.25" over the back, get what you'd ride on an 8.25". You don't want it to hotrod in the back and trip over the back wheel while pushing.

This is one of my favorite questions. Just going to echo what Frozenindustries just said, really. As a child of the 80s, that is how we did it. It still boggles my mind to see massive Hot Rod scenarios out the back of the board. Try to line up the back and try to keep the front axle width within 1/4" of deck width at the axle location (not always possible.) Go look at the Thrasher archives and find some photos of the era your deck shape is influenced by and check out how everyone was setting up their boards.

sketchyrider

« Reply #10141 on: May 23, 2021, 04:10:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Feeling a touch of the madness, how do you guys choose truck size for a shaped board? Let it hotrod on the narrow side, or go tucked in? I've seen both. I go a little wider with my trucks on popsicles but it seems weirder for fish shaped boards / eggs. How did people run it in the heyday of shaped boards?
[close]

Generally, use the width of the board at the narrowest point over the back truck and pick based on that. So if it's 8.25" over the back, get what you'd ride on an 8.25". You don't want it to hotrod in the back and trip over the back wheel while pushing.
[close]

This is one of my favorite questions. Just going to echo what Frozenindustries just said, really. As a child of the 80s, that is how we did it. It still boggles my mind to see massive Hot Rod scenarios out the back of the board. Try to line up the back and try to keep the front axle width within 1/4" of deck width at the axle location (not always possible.) Go look at the Thrasher archives and find some photos of the era your deck shape is influenced by and check out how everyone was setting up their boards.

word thanks guys...pretty easy to get lost in the thrasher archives. seems like those fish shaped boards all got the magic carpet treatment back then. i saw some egg boards that looked kind of hot rodded, but it might just be an illusion from the tiny wheels making the nuts stick far out.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10142 on: May 23, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »
Yeah, I think there was a period during the BPSW era where there was some hotroding. The tiny wheels also made the trucks look huge.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10143 on: May 23, 2021, 10:37:05 PM »
Yeah, I think there was a period during the BPSW era where there was some hotroding. The tiny wheels also made the trucks look huge.

In the BPSW era (and the few years prior) we never thought of truck width to board width. I had two boards built up at a time because the wood was all shit and may snap whenever. One was with 9” trucks and one with 8.75. I think one time I actually swapped trucks to put the smaller ones on the smaller of the boards I had built up. Otherwise we just skated whatever. We gave no shits about hot rod or magic carpets.

Now, I have 12 sets of trucks and shit needs to be paired exactly. On my shaped setups I try to get the rear wheels (not axle) even to the deck which generally has me running a truck 1/8 to 1/4 wider than the rear deck measurement.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #10144 on: May 24, 2021, 03:19:58 AM »
I agree that in the BPSW era we did not bother about truck width.

Plus it was upon us without much warning so one day you rode a 10‘ shaped board with wide trucks and overnight the world had changed and 9‘ footballs were the truth, and then getting rapidly smaller from there down to around 7.5‘ in a few months.

We simply did not have the money to always get new trucks with every new deck so for a while we finished riding the large trucks on much smaller decks. Buying trucks felt like an investment back then.

Then it went the other way round, once you had finally saved up for 8‘ trucks adapted to those toothpick decks, board size went back up to 8.25, 8.5  ;D
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1074
« Reply #10145 on: May 24, 2021, 06:31:51 AM »

Plus it was upon us without much warning so one day you rode a 10‘ shaped board with wide trucks and overnight the world had changed and 9‘ footballs were the truth, and then getting rapidly smaller from there down to around 7.5‘ in a few months.

We simply did not have the money to always get new trucks with every new deck so for a while we finished riding the large trucks on much smaller decks. Buying trucks felt like an investment back then.

Then it went the other way round, once you had finally saved up for 8‘ trucks adapted to those toothpick decks, board size went back up to 8.25, 8.5  ;D

I personaly don't think truck width became a thing until 2010

sketchyrider

« Reply #10146 on: May 24, 2021, 06:54:43 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

would explain why some pros out there magic carpet hard AF

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10147 on: May 24, 2021, 07:36:53 PM »
Muscle memory has a lot to do with it.

After more than 20 or so years on 8" trucks, in 2017 when I went from 139s to 144s on an 8.12 deck, a lot of how I skated changed just a little bit, as the wider truck meant you had to land more square on for nose or tail slides, but now I am on 149s or bigger boards, it doesn't matter so much, or I am more used to it.

Others I know still ride the 139s on 8, 8.12 and even 8.25 boards because anything other than that feels weird and their tricks don't work as that is how they have skated for 20 or so years.

Most of us had been on about the 139 size for a long time, so it was a big change to the 144s and lots of people didn't like it, or just went back to 139 / 8" trucks on their boards.

Going back to older or even 80s style / fish shaped decks, truck size didn't come into it half as much, but there were still specific sizes that you lined up on your deck to check first, usually wheels sticking out at the back, but the wider front of the board and wide tail meant you never really caught your foot on the back wheels either, as you were used to how wide the whole setup was.

Part of skating back then was riding things that others passed on to you, or you just skated what you had until the absolute last dying moment of whatever it was, so nothing got changed out anywhere near as regularly as things do now, be it for lack of money, knowledge of product or any other reason.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

slutbang666

• Rep: 2
« Reply #10148 on: May 24, 2021, 08:33:21 PM »
 ::)
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

would explain why some pros out there magic carpet hard AF

Yep still have friends riding 139’s on 8.5 because they can’t ride bigger trucks. I also rode a 8.5 with venture 5.0s at various times in my life haha

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #10149 on: May 25, 2021, 03:12:16 AM »
I dont know where to post this but Will a 8.625 fit Indy 159s decent?

(8.75 axle) Maybe a 8.5 truck would fit better & be a little leś hefty but i dont wanna change trucks atm

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10150 on: May 25, 2021, 05:32:09 AM »

(8.75 axle) Maybe a 8.5 truck would fit better & be a little leś hefty but i dont wanna change trucks atm

They'd be fine. The wheels would (probably) line up with the rails on a 159/8.625 combo. The axle nuts might hotdog a bit but you wont see it when pushing.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #10151 on: May 25, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »

I would run 159s on it before 149s.  Unless you are running really wide wheels it should be fine.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1397
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10152 on: May 25, 2021, 09:35:28 AM »
it's a big time in the life of trucks for me now that I'm skating more again... switched up from a pair of 149s to hollow 159s with green rip tides and swapped in my old ass cracked and cut bushings from the 149s. Yoooooo! these trucks are the shit! I had never really considered how much of a different feeling can be had from a switch in pivot cups. these rip tides feel like they're barely holding the truck in place, but goddamn is it nice.

hollow 159
no top front bushing washer
ride tides
old ass stock bushings

hey, this is kind of a new experience too, but I started skating these trucks less than 3 months ago and all I'm really doing are slappies, but damn are these things wearing down into a deep groove very quickly. It's nice getting locked in an all, and maybe it's because I'm skating a lot, but I've never had a groove get so deep so quickly. Wouldn't have thought that slappies on my 150lb frame would be so brutal on a set of trucks. Anyone else experience this? I'm just wondering if the alloy is different than trucks from 10 years ago/.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10153 on: May 25, 2021, 10:04:14 AM »
it's a big time in the life of trucks for me now that I'm skating more again... switched up from a pair of 149s to hollow 159s with green rip tides and swapped in my old ass cracked and cut bushings from the 149s. Yoooooo! these trucks are the shit! I had never really considered how much of a different feeling can be had from a switch in pivot cups. these rip tides feel like they're barely holding the truck in place, but goddamn is it nice.

hollow 159
ride tides
old ass stock bushings

hey, this is kind of a new experience too, but I started skating these trucks less than 3 months ago and all I'm really doing are slappies, but damn are these things wearing down into a deep groove very quickly. It's nice getting locked in an all, and maybe it's because I'm skating a lot, but I've never had a groove get so deep so quickly. Wouldn't have thought that slappies on my 150lb frame would be so brutal on a set of trucks. Anyone else experience this? I'm just wondering if the alloy is different than trucks from 10 years ago/.

They are cast in a different place than they were 10 years ago, though same grade of aluminum and my Indys post-move are super durable. Slappies (and their addictive nature) will definitely wear through trucks quickly, though IMO Indy last longer than most.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10154 on: May 25, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
Expand Quote

hollow 159
ride tides
old ass stock bushings

[close]

They are cast in a different place than they were 10 years ago, though same grade of aluminum and my Indys post-move are super durable. Slappies (and their addictive nature) will definitely wear through trucks quickly, though IMO Indy last longer than most.

right on, I figured as much. All I've skated in my adult life are Indy and they've never worn down so fast! Not like they're close to the axle yet or anything, I'm just surprised and I guess kind of stoked because it means I'm skating a lot ha ha ha

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10155 on: May 25, 2021, 10:59:42 AM »

After more than 20 or so years on 8" trucks, in 2017 when I went from 139s to 144s on an 8.12 deck, a lot of how I skated changed just a little bit, as the wider truck meant you had to land more square on for nose or tail slides, but now I am on 149s or bigger boards, it doesn't matter so much, or I am more used to it.

Others I know still ride the 139s on 8, 8.12 and even 8.25 boards because anything other than that feels weird and their tricks don't work as that is how they have skated for 20 or so years.

Most of us had been on about the 139 size for a long time, so it was a big change to the 144s and lots of people didn't like it, or just went back to 139 / 8" trucks on their boards.

Going back to older or even 80s style / fish shaped decks, truck size didn't come into it half as much, but there were still specific sizes that you lined up on your deck to check first, usually wheels sticking out at the back, but the wider front of the board and wide tail meant you never really caught your foot on the back wheels either, as you were used to how wide the whole setup was.

Part of skating back then was riding things that others passed on to you, or you just skated what you had until the absolute last dying moment of whatever it was, so nothing got changed out anywhere near as regularly as things do now, be it for lack of money, knowledge of product or any other reason.

Are 139s to 144s really that much of a difference? 144s will be my next trucks soon and.. Well that made me a bit nervous ^^
IG: @flowterspace

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10156 on: May 25, 2021, 11:05:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are 139s to 144s really that much of a difference? 144s will be my next trucks soon and.. Well that made me a bit nervous ^^

this is truth. I didn't even know the 149s I was riding were 149s until I looked it up online. I just bought whatever fit under the board without sticking out on the sides!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10157 on: May 25, 2021, 07:47:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I got used to them fairly quickly, but it is 5mm difference in total width.

Just checked and compared a few sets of people's boards and my board with 144s and three washers on the inside almost matched up to another board with 149s and only one washer on the inside (same wheels) so where you put the washers make some difference too.

In my old 139s, I would always use two or three washers on the inside as I wanted maximum width on 8.12 width decks, then upped to 144s and did the same inside washers, but with only one on the inside, it doesn't make much difference at all.

The number of the Indy is the mm width, so 139 mm hanger, 144 mm hanger, 149 mm hanger, etc.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #10158 on: May 26, 2021, 01:26:06 AM »
I went back to 8” truck ( ace 03 ) after skating few sets of indy 149’s and ace 44’s, I just never felt comfy on fliptricks with bigger trucks. Must have something to do with the fact I’ve learned all my flips on like 7.5-7.625” boards lol.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #10159 on: May 26, 2021, 12:01:44 PM »
Anybody know whats the hardness of stock thunder bushings? I'm trying to buy replacements for my 149s but none of the bushings thunder sells look exactly like the stock ones, might just be pictures being weird.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10160 on: May 26, 2021, 12:13:30 PM »
supposed to be 90, so white or yellow.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #10161 on: May 26, 2021, 02:09:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Put Krepers in my 55 classics and 159s. Used JB weld, everything seems very solid.

[close]

For people who do the Krux, Kreper, Grindking kingpin hack how does this affect the looseness of your trucks? How loose do you normally run your trucks?

Maybe a harder question to get an answer to, but is there a difference between the three options or is it just a matter of what you can get your hands on?

I can't speak for Indys, but I did the Ace with the Krux kingpin and I can tell you that you better like loose trucks if you go this way. There are simply not enough threads on the kingpin to really squish down your bushings in a meaningful way. I've thought about threading the bolt deeper (which might cause it to fail), but I don't have the right die, so I'd have to borrow and buy one. Alternatively, I could buy a comically expensive titanium button-head Allen bolt of the appropriate thread pitch, but I just cannot justify spending another $30 on a pair of Ace trucks worn almost to the axle.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10162 on: May 26, 2021, 02:20:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Put Krepers in my 55 classics and 159s. Used JB weld, everything seems very solid.

[close]

For people who do the Krux, Kreper, Grindking kingpin hack how does this affect the looseness of your trucks? How loose do you normally run your trucks?

Maybe a harder question to get an answer to, but is there a difference between the three options or is it just a matter of what you can get your hands on?
[close]

I can't speak for Indys, but I did the Ace with the Krux kingpin and I can tell you that you better like loose trucks if you go this way. There are simply not enough threads on the kingpin to really squish down your bushings in a meaningful way. I've thought about threading the bolt deeper (which might cause it to fail), but I don't have the right die, so I'd have to borrow and buy one. Alternatively, I could buy a comically expensive titanium button-head Allen bolt of the appropriate thread pitch, but I just cannot justify spending another $30 on a pair of Ace trucks worn almost to the axle.

I've logged about 5 and change hours on my Indys with Kreper pins and they have been staying where I adjusted them to just fine (easy to keep track of with the very cool and spooky graphic etched into the top). I need to take them out tomorrow to put some riptides pivot cups in, so when I do I will compare threading length on these versus a set of Krux DLKs I have. Pics to come.

I put a Kreper in my 55 classics as well, but I haven't been feeling them so they've just been sitting. That being said, Aces have some very tall bushings so they might make it harder to get the kingpin into the unlock zone. So maybe some taller bushings and a lower top? The cavity on Ace classics is very small, though, so the KP might stick into the board.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10163 on: May 26, 2021, 02:36:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've logged about 5 and change hours on my Indys with Kreper pins and they have been staying where I adjusted them to just fine (easy to keep track of with the very cool and spooky graphic etched into the top). I need to take them out tomorrow to put some riptides pivot cups in, so when I do I will compare threading length on these versus a set of Krux DLKs I have. Pics to come.

I put a Kreper in my 55 classics as well, but I haven't been feeling them so they've just been sitting. That being said, Aces have some very tall bushings so they might make it  harder to get the kingpin into the unlock zone. So maybe some taller bushings and a lower top? The cavity on Ace classics is very small, though, so the KP might stick into the board.

To be clear, there is absolutely no problem with the Krux kingpins in my Ace trucks coming loose or moving on their own in any way. I would recommend this mod to anyone who wants to do so and who likes their trucks loose. I merely did the mod because both of the factory kingpins rattled loose from the baseplate, and I figured that instead of complaining to Ace or using JB Weld to try and keep them in place, I would experiment with the Krux kingpin.

It is entirely possible that the threads run longer with the Kreper/GK kingpin, which would allow a better range of adjustment. I've been tempted by them on eBay, maybe I'll buy a pair and provide measurements for the curious. Even if it's too long, I have a workshop and it would be simple enough to cut it down to fit.

Again though, the real problem here is the same question - how much do I want to invest into a pair of 80% worn out Ace?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10164 on: May 26, 2021, 09:08:38 PM »
Anybody know whats the hardness of stock thunder bushings? I'm trying to buy replacements for my 149s but none of the bushings thunder sells look exactly like the stock ones, might just be pictures being weird.
supposed to be 90, so white or yellow.

Yep, 90 duro so there are two options:

One page back, pic there of the bushing cylinders.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3565643#msg3565643

The other option if you cannot find those specific ones is the rebuild kit, which has the bushings, as well as all the coloured nuts, washers and pivot cups too, but the red one is 90.

Might be a bit much with all that jazz, but at least they have the bushings in there and those kits seemed like they were everywhere, or at least a lot more around than just the bushing cylinders.

Note:  I just found a better pic from DLX with current coloured bushings, so I guess they have two 90 in either colour, but there seem like there are still some white or yellow around in online shops, eg these two:

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/thunder-bushings-90a-yellow-175-5909431353507/

https://skateparkoftampa.com/thunder-bushing-tube-90-durometer-bushings-yellow-76940-8

« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:24:01 PM by Mbrimson88 »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10165 on: May 27, 2021, 12:49:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I put a Kreper in my 55 classics as well, but I haven't been feeling them so they've just been sitting. That being said, Aces have some very tall bushings so they might make it  harder to get the kingpin into the unlock zone. So maybe some taller bushings and a lower top? The cavity on Ace classics is very small, though, so the KP might stick into the board.
[close]

To be clear, there is absolutely no problem with the Krux kingpins in my Ace trucks coming loose or moving on their own in any way. I would recommend this mod to anyone who wants to do so and who likes their trucks loose. I merely did the mod because both of the factory kingpins rattled loose from the baseplate, and I figured that instead of complaining to Ace or using JB Weld to try and keep them in place, I would experiment with the Krux kingpin.

It is entirely possible that the threads run longer with the Kreper/GK kingpin, which would allow a better range of adjustment. I've been tempted by them on eBay, maybe I'll buy a pair and provide measurements for the curious. Even if it's too long, I have a workshop and it would be simple enough to cut it down to fit.

Again though, the real problem here is the same question - how much do I want to invest into a pair of 80% worn out Ace?

Here is a Kreper/Krux comparison photo:

Krux has about 11mm of threading, Kreper has about 17mm. So it seems like you could make the Krepers much tighter if you wanted.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10166 on: May 27, 2021, 12:56:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Here is a Kreper/Krux comparison photo:

Krux has about 11mm of threading, Kreper has about 17mm. So it seems like you could make the Krepers much tighter if you wanted.

Perfect! This is golden knowledge!

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10167 on: May 27, 2021, 01:27:54 PM »
Another thing that makes the Kreper pins better is there's no separate washer to cut into the top of the bushings. Krux has a custom washer that's counter sunk with the kingpin head that really does change the way the trucks turn.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10168 on: May 28, 2021, 12:22:42 PM »
Another thing that makes the Kreper pins better is there's no separate washer to cut into the top of the bushings. Krux has a custom washer that's counter sunk with the kingpin head that really does change the way the trucks turn.

Honestly, I've never felt the krux washer impacts the turn on any truck I've used it on, it's just a cupped washer, albeit a bit bigger.

Moreover, the decreased resistance in grinding due to its shape far outweighs any slight (if there is any) decrease in turning (which the cupped washers due limit at a certain point); but I ride so loose that I wouldn't notice in the first place =P

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10169 on: May 28, 2021, 04:31:24 PM »
It seems like the two things a user could change which would effect how a truck skates would be the stack height of the lowest washer and bushings, along with bushing durometer. Unless I am conceiving of it all wrong, I don't see how a top washer would effect a truck's performance, except nominally with how it interacts with the bushing.