Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1231306 times)

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10440 on: August 18, 2021, 10:23:07 AM »
I'm sure this has been covered in the last 350 pages, but what bushings are you People Of Size running?  I tried my Indy's with the stock bushings and they split in 30 minutes, so I threw in some Bones mediums that were in my bag.  My other board has Bones hard and I really like em, but I'm trying to get used to riding looser trucks.  I'm guessing Indy bushings are worth trying?

Recently tried the blue cylinder Indy bushings and they are really good. Bit too soft for me though, so I put Bones Hard on top. Now it’s too hard with nut flush, and squeaking like crazy. Might go back to all blue and learn to deal with looser trucks like you intend to.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #10441 on: August 18, 2021, 12:11:10 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm sure this has been covered in the last 350 pages, but what bushings are you People Of Size running?  I tried my Indy's with the stock bushings and they split in 30 minutes, so I threw in some Bones mediums that were in my bag.  My other board has Bones hard and I really like em, but I'm trying to get used to riding looser trucks.  I'm guessing Indy bushings are worth trying?
[close]

Recently tried the blue cylinder Indy bushings and they are really good. Bit too soft for me though, so I put Bones Hard on top. Now it’s too hard with nut flush, and squeaking like crazy. Might go back to all blue and learn to deal with looser trucks like you intend to.

This is what I'm doing on my Ace trucks, Bones on top and stock bottom.  Seems to work really well for me.  If I can't dial in these Indy's for my cultivated mass I may switch to all Ace

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10442 on: August 18, 2021, 12:21:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is what I'm doing on my Ace trucks, Bones on top and stock bottom.  Seems to work really well for me.  If I can't dial in these Indy's for my cultivated mass I may switch to all Ace

Everyone seems to be switching to Ace but I've just committed myself so 169s again by buying Titaniums recently. I like the tight turn, but cannot have the trucks to loose due to weight and huge feet (more leverage on the side of the board, it's real). I'll give this setup a few more sessions, if it doesn't break in a bit more back to the drawing board. Also need to address the squeaking, it's driving me mad. Tried tons of shit as suggested in this thread.

Uncle Jeffrey

• Rep: 36
« Reply #10443 on: August 18, 2021, 03:23:11 PM »
Uh, dumb question.

When we say top and bottom, what orientation are the trucks in? Riding orientation, or upside down? Aka is it the top bushing as you ride or as you wrench on it

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10444 on: August 18, 2021, 03:31:12 PM »
Uh, dumb question.

When we say top and bottom, what orientation are the trucks in? Riding orientation, or upside down? Aka is it the top bushing as you ride or as you wrench on it
top = roadside
bottom = boardside
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #10445 on: August 19, 2021, 12:31:37 AM »
Uh, dumb question.

i think it's easier if you think about it how you assemble the truck. first you put in the bottom bushing, then put on the hanger, and finally you put in the top bushing, before screwing the nut on the kingpin. (insert washers before bottom bushing and after top bushing as you like)

also to the guy asking about bushings for big guys, i dunno what is considered as big, or if i am already big, but however, with 1.90m / 6.2 ft and 93kg / 205 lbs (hope i converted this correctly lol), i always go for the orange conical after market independent bushings, they're 90A and considered medium. they are soft, and hold up very well, never had issues with them at all.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #10446 on: August 19, 2021, 06:03:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So when you guys rub different duro bushings for top and bottom what dictates which side is harder and which is softer?

I broke out my old Indy TIs after skating ace classics then af1s. I just couldn’t never get the pinch on Aces I wanted. When I did it felt like I just got lucky and not did it because I meant too. Anyway ace felt stable for me and my flip tricks felt good but had no pinch. Now I’m on Indy ti. Legs feel good pop good flick sucks pinch getting back. I have Indy yellow bottoms and blue tops. Do I have this backwards

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10447 on: August 19, 2021, 06:21:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So when you guys rub different duro bushings for top and bottom what dictates which side is harder and which is softer?

I broke out my old Indy TIs after skating ace classics then af1s. I just couldn’t never get the pinch on Aces I wanted. When I did it felt like I just got lucky and not did it because I meant too. Anyway ace felt stable for me and my flip tricks felt good but had no pinch. Now I’m on Indy ti. Legs feel good pop good flick sucks pinch getting back. I have Indy yellow bottoms and blue tops. Do I have this backwards

Honestly, just went by some recommendations from this thread and also it felt like the right thing to do intuitively. I also remembered someone used a bottom bushing with only washers on top that would lock before wheelbite. Thought the mellower version of this would be a hard top bushing.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 620
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10448 on: August 19, 2021, 03:14:30 PM »
I think a harder top bushing makes the truck get easier back to center after you turn. Plus a bit more stability.
The same turning from the stock bottom bushing, but less squirrely due to the harder top bushing.

Hope that makes sense.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10449 on: August 19, 2021, 06:05:00 PM »
DLX makes bushings that fit Indy up to 100A. Getting Ace’s will only make your looseness problem worse.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10450 on: August 20, 2021, 06:02:10 AM »
Anyone know if Indy Stage 10 & Stage 11 baseplates are the same or not? IIRC when Stage 11 launched all of the upgrades were to the hangars but I am not 100% sure.

Roger__Kook

• Rep: 5
« Reply #10451 on: August 20, 2021, 07:14:42 AM »
Anyone know if Indy Stage 10 & Stage 11 baseplates are the same or not? IIRC when Stage 11 launched all of the upgrades were to the hangars but I am not 100% sure.
Pretty sure the kingpin angle is different. Stage 10 baseplates are just filled in stage 9s.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10452 on: August 20, 2021, 08:45:02 AM »
There was a Stage 10 MkII that might be the same as a Stage 11. They also put out the 159 Stage 10s just before Stage 11 came out and they were the same. Confusing as shift.

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #10453 on: August 20, 2021, 09:00:01 AM »
Following up on the Tensor MagLight baseplate discrepancies - Never got a reply back on IG so I decided to email them. Below is the email thread. Not entirely sure what to make of it, I guess they are putting the wrong baseplate on at the factory regularly? It can't be a mixup at the skateshop.

-------------------------------------------------

LewFarrell <[email protected]>
Aug 12, 2021, 10:07 PM (8 days ago)
to Highline Distribution (Support)

Hey Tensor fam, I have a question about the MagLight trucks and hoping you can clarify.

Some of the baseplates say Magnesium on the bottom and are lighter (weigh around 75g with kingpin) and some don't say Magnesium and weigh around 100g with the kingpin. Both are MagLight trucks.

Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models?

I tried reaching out on Instagram a few times but had no luck in getting a response. Would appreciate your help.

Thank you so much.

Highline Distribution (Support) <[email protected]>
Aug 13, 2021, 8:16 MST
to Lew

Hi,

If they do not say Mag or Magnesium on them, then they are not mag lights trucks. They are the aluminum alloy trucks.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Highline Distribution

Fri, Aug 13, 9:01 PM (7 days ago)

Hi - I think I can clarify further.

As I mentioned in my original email both sets of trucks are indeed labeled MagLight. They are certainly not aluminum alloy trucks.

I'm asking specifically about the "Magnesium" labeling on the bottom of the baseplate. One set of MagLights has this labeling on the baseplate and is about 1/4 (25g) lighter than the baseplate from other set of trucks also labeled MagLight.

I have uploaded pictures of both sets of MagLights to imgur to better illustrate my question.
Baseplate 1: https://imgur.com/gallery/pbUzrMf
Baseplate 2: https://imgur.com/gallery/G9Bll7s

Again my question is - Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models? If old/new, which ones are the current model you are selling?

10:29 AM (1 hour ago)

Hi - just wanted to follow up on this question.
Thanks for your time

Aug 20, 2021, 8:14 MST
to Lew

Hi Lew,

All of our mag light's will have the magnesium stamp on them. From the photo and the weight descriptions, it sounds like it might have been a simple mix up either at the factory or at a skate shop.

We hope that answers your question!

Have a great day!
Highline Distribution

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10454 on: August 20, 2021, 10:39:36 AM »
There was a Stage 10 MkII that might be the same as a Stage 11. They also put out the 159 Stage 10s just before Stage 11 came out and they were the same. Confusing as shift.
Expand Quote
[close]
Pretty sure the kingpin angle is different. Stage 10 baseplates are just filled in stage 9s.

I see. I just got these and they're 159s. I am going to check the kingpin angle and will report back.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10455 on: August 20, 2021, 10:42:17 AM »
it sounds like it might have been a simple mix up either at the factory or at a skate shop.

I know two other people who bought Maglight Atgs and we all have aluminum baseplates. Not to mention all the people here saying they received alloy baseplates too. They must be "mixing stuff up" on a large scale.  ::)

Thank you for posting the emails.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #10456 on: August 20, 2021, 01:38:18 PM »
Following up on the Tensor MagLight baseplate discrepancies - Never got a reply back on IG so I decided to email them. Below is the email thread. Not entirely sure what to make of it, I guess they are putting the wrong baseplate on at the factory regularly? It can't be a mixup at the skateshop.

Hey Tensor fam, I have a question about the MagLight trucks and hoping you can clarify.

Some of the baseplates say Magnesium on the bottom and are lighter (weigh around 75g with kingpin) and some don't say Magnesium and weigh around 100g with the kingpin. Both are MagLight trucks.

I tried reaching out on Instagram a few times but had no luck in getting a response. Would appreciate your help.

Thank you so much.

to Lew

Hi,

If they do not say Mag or Magnesium on them, then they are not mag lights trucks. They are the aluminum alloy trucks.

Highline Distribution

As I mentioned in my original email both sets of trucks are indeed labeled MagLight. They are certainly not aluminum alloy trucks.

I'm asking specifically about the "Magnesium" labeling on the bottom of the baseplate. One set of MagLights has this labeling on the baseplate and is about 1/4 (25g) lighter than the baseplate from other set of trucks also labeled MagLight.

I have uploaded pictures of both sets of MagLights to imgur to better illustrate my question.

Again my question is - Are these new vs old models or concurrent different models? If old/new, which ones are the current model you are selling?

Thanks for your time

to Lew

Hi Lew,

All of our mag light's will have the magnesium stamp on them. From the photo and the weight descriptions, it sounds like it might have been a simple mix up either at the factory or at a skate shop.

Have a great day!
Highline Distribution

I emailed thankyousupply and never got a response. If it’s a factory mistake, they must have fucked up on an entire run of these

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1003
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #10457 on: August 20, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »
Expand Quote

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>

Thank you so much.

to Lew

Hi,

Highline Distribution

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>

Thanks for your time

to Lew

Hi Lew,

Have a great day!
Highline Distribution
[close]

I emailed thankyousupply and never got a response. If it’s a factory mistake, they must have fucked up on an entire run of these

Somebody definitely fucked up! The only common denominator I can find is the fluorescent colorways are all fucked, so likely anything from that drop (which doesn't help as they have the standard 'grey/raw' that are also fucked from that run.

Easy to check in shop but harder online unless you use reputable places that will actually check/and or let you return.

What's lame is he didn't even offer replacements or compensation for something you paid for and didn't get? That's a bit fucked up :\

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 577
« Reply #10458 on: August 20, 2021, 07:52:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>

Thank you so much.

to Lew

Hi,

Highline Distribution

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>

LewFarrell <lew@lew.com>

Thanks for your time

to Lew

Hi Lew,

Have a great day!
Highline Distribution
[close]

[close]

Somebody definitely fucked up! The only common denominator I can find is the fluorescent colorways are all fucked, so likely anything from that drop (which doesn't help as they have the standard 'grey/raw' that are also fucked from that run.

Easy to check in shop but harder online unless you use reputable places that will actually check/and or let you return.

What's lame is he didn't even offer replacements or compensation for something you paid for and didn't get? That's a bit fucked up :\

It's very disappointing. I get that they're super light and grind buttery but for the price you pay for these things, it's not acceptable for them to not at least offer a return or replacement baseplate. I switched back to thunders and Indys on my setups out of principle. I've emailed both DLX and NHS about product issues and received prompt replies offering replacements. Smh

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
« Reply #10459 on: August 21, 2021, 12:53:36 AM »
Does anyone know what stage indys these are? Thinking of taking off the zipzinger wheels, adding f4s and making it a curb killer

I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #10460 on: August 21, 2021, 05:59:06 AM »
Does anyone know what stage indys these are? Thinking of taking off the zipzinger wheels, adding f4s and making it a curb killer

Look like some old stage 11

LewFarrell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 140
« Reply #10461 on: August 21, 2021, 06:20:56 AM »
I followed up with Tensor (Thank You... Highline...?) after their last answer asking them to look into it further as it seems to be a pretty widespread thing and not a one-off situation. This is this response I got. Will post up again when I hear back.

Also strangely enough I randomly came across a guy on Facebook post his MagLights this morning which are also labeled MagLight with no Magnesium stamping on the baseplate. He got them directly from Thank You Supply. Here's a gallery on Imgur: http://imgur.com/gallery/8gyn2Ef

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highline Distribution (Support) <[email protected])
Aug 20, 2021, 13:46 MST
to Lew

Hey Lew,

Thanks for bring that to our attention. We are separate from the production and design team, so we have reached out to them to provide you with a more specific answer. They will be returning on Monday and will get back to us asap. Once we get a response from them, we will forward it to you.

Let us know if you have any other questions in the meantime.
Highline Distribution

sketchyrider

« Reply #10462 on: August 25, 2021, 09:08:36 AM »
anyone ever size down on trucks and find that they sat on ledges/coping better? or is it pretty accepted that larger trucks = more stable, period? having trouble on backside crooks / 5050s. its probably all technique related, but just curious to hear opinions. i like an 8.6 deck so its either hot rod or magic carpet a little.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #10463 on: August 25, 2021, 09:35:19 AM »
anyone ever size down on trucks and find that they sat on ledges/coping better? or is it pretty accepted that larger trucks = more stable, period? having trouble on backside crooks / 5050s. its probably all technique related, but just curious to hear opinions. i like an 8.6 deck so its either hot rod or magic carpet a little.

I like a narrower truck for coping. I find it much easier to get locked in on top with my 144s than I ever did when I was still trying to make 159s work for me.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 48
« Reply #10464 on: August 25, 2021, 10:33:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I like a narrower truck for coping. I find it much easier to get locked in on top with my 144s than I ever did when I was still trying to make 159s work for me.

It really depends (in my experience) what trick you're doing and what you're doing it on. For example it was pretty doable for me to lock into a bs 180 nosegrind for the first time with wide trucks since they kinda let me get more clearance to land on any part of the truck and pinch it via weight distribution to my heel. With something like a 5050 though I feel that it really does make my board feel more clunky and strangely hard to pop up bigger ledges along with the amount of grind space causing me to slip out of a proper lock in occasionally. For crooks I really dont find a difference in popping out or holding the grind other than it's simply harder to lock in on a smaller truck for me (really gotta aim that ledge-facing half of the truck onto the edge of the ledge)

I love the feel of a nice long bs or fs 5050 on a tall ledge with 139 Indys on 8.1-8.25 deck. Idk must be the soft metal and the pinching side of the truck being closer to the centre of the board that just lets me lock in and sit on it really well (cant say the same about crooks at all)

ALSO a tip for bs 5050: when you pop onto the ledge and kinda shifty to be parallel to the coping, aim the middle of your trucks to the ledge but keep weight on your toes so even if you land fucked you can still hold the grind. Gambling on over-popping onto the ledge can be deadly on the wrong hubbas

topfrog10

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10465 on: August 26, 2021, 11:32:00 AM »
I have been skating venture hollow 5.8s for like... 8 months now and after liking them a lot more than my Indy hollow 149s at first in terms of stability, i am starting to feel meh about them after skating a lot of rougher curbs because im starting to feel like they're grinding worse even though im getting better at grinding overall. i mainly skate mini ramps, bowls, and curbs... i felt like the hollows were nice because of how light they were but that is also because my pop isnt very high. are these ventures not the way to go at this point? 

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10466 on: August 26, 2021, 01:47:38 PM »
I have been skating venture hollow 5.8s for like... 8 months now and after liking them a lot more than my Indy hollow 149s at first in terms of stability, i am starting to feel meh about them after skating a lot of rougher curbs because im starting to feel like they're grinding worse even though im getting better at grinding overall. i mainly skate mini ramps, bowls, and curbs... i felt like the hollows were nice because of how light they were but that is also because my pop isnt very high. are these ventures not the way to go at this point?
use the added stability to go faster
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1582
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10467 on: August 26, 2021, 10:49:27 PM »
I got 5.6's coming from thunder 148's....they don't grind as well....The turn is clunkier....what makes up for it is I can afford to skate them looser with no wheelbite which is fun.

The pivot cups seem shittier than most trucks so I'm putting in an old set of riptides, ,think it'll work well.

Skating regular I don't notice the pop so much but nollie and switch I see some difference for sure. 

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10468 on: September 01, 2021, 01:56:01 PM »
Anybody ever have the JB Weld and nut fall clean out before?

I was swapping stuff out and this happened. My punishment and comeuppance for declaring that I like one brand of truck that I skate more than the other? It fits snug in the hole so it is still usable, but I was surprised by it.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #10469 on: September 01, 2021, 07:43:53 PM »
Anybody ever have the JB Weld and nut fall clean out before?

I was swapping stuff out and this happened. My punishment and comeuppance for declaring that I like one brand of truck that I skate more than the other? It fits snug in the hole so it is still usable, but I was surprised by it.

I had the same thing happen. I didn’t properly prep the surface before epoxying. Acetone is good to clean the oils and grease off, also roughing the area up a bit helps. Evidently even residue left by your fingers is enough to significantly weaken the bond.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast