Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220665 times)

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 180
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10500 on: October 01, 2021, 12:07:56 PM »
Indy 169’s are about done and I’m having a touch of the madness. Have Thunder 161’s and Ace 66
classics on hand, buuuuut…. Any other 9” trucks I should consider?

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #10501 on: October 01, 2021, 01:19:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Just survived another bout of truck madness. I need a note on my mirror, so I see it every morning:
"Face it, you're an Indy guy"

Its nice to try other shit out, but I need to just accept it for what it is
[close]

I feel you. I believe deep down inside I'm an indy guy...they're just so fucking heavy, Ti included compared to everything else but ACE ,and these legs need all the help they can get.

Maybe I need to step out of ye olde standard and get some hollows? I've never tried any Indys but regular. I fear change.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10502 on: October 01, 2021, 08:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just survived another bout of truck madness. I need a note on my mirror, so I see it every morning:

[close]

I feel you. I believe deep down inside I'm an indy guy...they're just so fucking heavy, Ti included compared to everything else but ACE ,and these legs need all the help they can get.
[close]

Maybe I need to step out of ye olde standard and get some hollows? I've never tried any Indys but regular. I fear change.

If weight isn't an issue for you, doubt it would matter. Ti are a luxury for sure.

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #10503 on: October 01, 2021, 09:05:10 PM »
Indy 169’s are about done and I’m having a touch of the madness. Have Thunder 161’s and Ace 66

Krux K5

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10504 on: October 01, 2021, 09:05:14 PM »

I’ve been really digging my AF1 66s. I haven’t wanted to post a review yet until I really broke them in. No issues with pivot cups for me. I replaced the top bushings with krux but kept the stock bottoms. They feel a tad more stable than Classic 55 but still turn unlike any other contemporary trucks. Good shit.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #10505 on: October 01, 2021, 10:46:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel you. I love how Ace and Indy feel but my short stubby old legs can’t handle them. Have to run thunders if I want my session to last more than an hour.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #10506 on: October 02, 2021, 05:40:15 AM »
Thinking of cutting/shaving down my independent bushings. Should I only cut the top one, bottom, both equally?

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #10507 on: October 02, 2021, 06:36:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I wanted be an ace guy. But I came back to Indy and I’m happy. Hollow or ti indys with the standard baseplate is great my old legs can last now and Indy grind so well.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10508 on: October 02, 2021, 06:56:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I wanted be an ace guy. But I came back to Indy and I’m happy. Hollow or ti indys with the standard baseplate is great my old legs can last now and Indy grind so well.

Running some Indy cast hollows ATM and they feel pretty perfect. Glad they're a regular offering. Just ordered some mid hollows and am curious to try them as well.

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #10509 on: October 02, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
I love lurking these threads but i have long known

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #10510 on: October 02, 2021, 09:13:40 AM »
Set up some AF1s, stock. I had forgotten how weird the Ace turn is to Indys. Indy turns feel like they’re in one fluid motion. I made a sharp turn on Aces and the turn went into overdrive and sharper than I expected.
Interested to see how they break in.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10511 on: October 02, 2021, 09:28:47 AM »
I've been extremely happy with the 169 Titaniums and Indy blue cylinder/barrel bushings for a while now. Nut pretty much flush with one thread barely showing. Love the turn and once broken in the bushings have some serious rebound. The thinner, forged baseplate is so much nicer with 7/8" hardware, too.

Only gripe was bad squeaking from the pivot cups, any treatment would only last for a session or two. Put in some Riptide pivot cups now and they don't squeak, plus I feel the rebound of the truck is even better. Also ordered some Riptide bushings, however the blue Indys are perfect right now so shelving them for now.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10512 on: October 02, 2021, 09:53:35 AM »
Thinking of cutting/shaving down my independent bushings. Should I only cut the top one, bottom, both equally?

Start with shaving bottom side of the top bushing, then go from there; I find taking 1/8-1/4 off the top bushing works great.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #10513 on: October 02, 2021, 12:26:52 PM »

I personally had bad experiences with a shaved bottom bushing, the geo of the truck felt very different. So I only shave the top bushings like 3mm.
IG: @flowterspace

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10514 on: October 02, 2021, 12:30:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Running some Indy cast hollows ATM and they feel pretty perfect. Glad they're a regular offering. Just ordered some mid hollows and am curious to try them as well.
Where?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10515 on: October 02, 2021, 12:34:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?

SoCal

https://socalskateshop.com/Independent-144mm-Andrew-Reynolds-Hollow-Pro-Mid-Skateboard-Trucks-Silver.html

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10516 on: October 02, 2021, 01:14:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I personally had bad experiences with a shaved bottom bushing, the geo of the truck felt very different. So I only shave the top bushings like 3mm.

Agreed, wouldn't touch the bottoms when shaving down bushings.

DeepSpace9mm

• Rep: 100
« Reply #10517 on: October 02, 2021, 04:26:38 PM »
Found on Heroin's IG. Not my setup
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 04:45:13 PM by DeepSpace9mm »

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #10518 on: October 02, 2021, 04:46:34 PM »
Found on Heroin's IG. Not my setup

frankentruck & bushing setup

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10519 on: October 02, 2021, 04:50:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

https://socalskateshop.com/Independent-144mm-Andrew-Reynolds-Hollow-Pro-Mid-Skateboard-Trucks-Silver.html
i'm guessing these are just hollow kingpins as they don't show the axles
kind of a disappointment

edit: they don't show the kingpins either >:(

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10520 on: October 02, 2021, 05:01:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

[close]
kind of a disappointment

Hollow axle, solid kingpin. Saw a pic but I can't remember where.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10521 on: October 02, 2021, 06:48:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

[close]
kind of a disappointment

[close]

I'm doubtful we're going to see hollow pins anytime soon, something tells me with the plate as it is (with such a deep cavity) them hollow pins be snappin during RnD.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10522 on: October 02, 2021, 08:38:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

[close]
kind of a disappointment

[close]

I saw it too!
It is hollow axle.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #10523 on: October 02, 2021, 11:01:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

[close]
kind of a disappointment

[close]

[close]

I saw it too!
It is hollow axle.

I didn't see anything on the NHS site. Anyone know how much these weigh?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10524 on: October 03, 2021, 09:19:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

[close]
kind of a disappointment

[close]

[close]

I saw it too!
It is hollow axle.
[close]

386g vs 402g for 144s IIRC, but don't quote me. Would basically put the mids back down to standard weight if correct.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10525 on: October 03, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Where?
[close]

SoCal

[close]
kind of a disappointment

[close]

[close]

I saw it too!
It is hollow axle.
[close]

It wasn’t on their accounts. I think it was a skateshop.
Not sure about the weight but, I could see it bringing it back to a regular high truck as mids are heavier because of the special lock.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #10526 on: October 04, 2021, 09:10:41 AM »
... as mids are heavier because of the special lock.

And the hanger is thicker.  They needed to up the kingpin clearance so they added more material.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #10527 on: October 04, 2021, 09:32:43 AM »
Are you supposed to run Bones bushings with boardside washers? I put in flat washers on the boardside too but theyre kinda hard to crank down now. Noticed they only come with 2 washers instead of 4

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10528 on: October 04, 2021, 09:39:18 AM »
Are you supposed to run Bones bushings with boardside washers? I put in flat washers on the boardside too but theyre kinda hard to crank down now. Noticed they only come with 2 washers instead of 4

The washers they supply go under the nut, and the boardside bushing sits right on the baseplate. However, at least with Indys you need another washer under the boardside bushing to preserve the truck’s geometry. I think it’s best with Bones flat washer under the boardside bushing, and original Indy washer under the nut.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 03:13:40 PM by listentoaheartbeat »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #10529 on: October 04, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The washers they supply go under the nut, and the boardside bushing sits right on the hangar. However, at least with Indys you need another washer under the boardside bushing to preserve the truck’s geometry. I think it’s best with Bones flat washer under the boardside bushing, and original Indy washer under the nut.

On Indy I take the original nut side washer and put it board side (because it is smaller than the normal Indy boardside), then use the thin Bones on the nut side.