Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220796 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #10530 on: October 04, 2021, 03:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Are you supposed to run Bones bushings with boardside washers? I put in flat washers on the boardside too but theyre kinda hard to crank down now. Noticed they only come with 2 washers instead of 4
[close]

The washers they supply go under the nut, and the boardside bushing sits right on the hangar. However, at least with Indys you need another washer under the boardside bushing to preserve the truck’s geometry. I think it’s best with Bones flat washer under the boardside bushing, and original Indy washer under the nut.

You actually don't need to put a washer on the bottom when using bones, on Indy. They are close enough to where you don't need to worry about it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 06:40:16 PM by Xen »

listentoaheartbeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #10531 on: October 04, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Are you supposed to run Bones bushings with boardside washers? I put in flat washers on the boardside too but theyre kinda hard to crank down now. Noticed they only come with 2 washers instead of 4
[close]

The washers they supply go under the nut, and the boardside bushing sits right on the hangar baseplate. However, at least with Indys you need another washer under the boardside bushing to preserve the truck’s geometry. I think it’s best with Bones flat washer under the boardside bushing, and original Indy washer under the nut.
[close]

You actually don't need to put a washer on the bottom when using bones, on Indy. They are close enough to where you don't need to worry about it.

Thanks for the correction, fixed it in my post. As for the washer, putting it there matches the distance pretty much exactly to stock bushings so why not.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #10532 on: October 05, 2021, 08:29:56 AM »
For people asking about the Indy Reynolds mid hollows weight, from what I've seen they are:

129=368g
139=376g
144=386g
149=392g
159=395g

vs classics:

129=367g
139=376g
144=387g
149=394g
159=402g

So they do seem to put the mids back at classic weight or slightly under.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #10533 on: October 05, 2021, 09:19:09 AM »
Can't figure out how to search for this specific issue but - do any of yall run thunders on decks with super short WB to mitigate the way Thunders extend it?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10534 on: October 05, 2021, 09:45:56 AM »
Can't figure out how to search for this specific issue but - do any of yall run thunders on decks with super short WB to mitigate the way Thunders extend it?

Yes.

For me at least, to get the similar feel of trucks, I have Indy on 14.5 wb boards, then Thunder and Venture on 14.38 wb, so when set up with bushings how I like them, they will actually behave much the same for all three.  I can make all of them turn in a relatively small circle fairly easily without having shakey loose trucks, but I definitely feel the difference if I have all three brands on the same size board / same wheelbase.

Ace is a different story, but I prefer them on other boards, such as longer cruiser shapes anyway, which usually have longer wheelbases, so it again follows the pattern, as they have the shortest wheelbase of all of them.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #10535 on: October 05, 2021, 11:10:57 AM »

when I skated thunder 149 hollows I felt I could get away with skating quite long wheelbases due to them beeing so light

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #10536 on: October 05, 2021, 11:29:18 AM »

Yes, this is the way.

It's funny, lots of people will say "I need a short WB but ride Ventures or Thunders" which essentially extend your WB; For me, riding a 14" WB, Thunders or Ventures is a must.

In opposite world, I always ride Indys or ACE on 14.3x or larger Wheelbases (currently on 14.3WB with Indy ti).
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 02:04:52 PM by Xen »

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #10537 on: October 05, 2021, 03:58:37 PM »

Thunders on 14-14.25"
Indy on 14.25-14.5"
Ace on 14.5" and up

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10538 on: October 05, 2021, 04:26:58 PM »
Had the weirdest thing happen to me while skating the other day. Riding an oldish pair of Indy 149s with older bushings. While I was pushing it felt like my front truck was turning to the toe side. Pushing regular turning right. I never had to position my front foot straight to avoid turning and all of a sudden I felt I had to do this to keep from loosing speed and veering sideways.

I keep my trucks stock tight and change out the bushings and pivot cups as needed. I don’t see any major wear on either but should I just change out pivot cup and bushings to see what happens? Also, bolts are tight. Is it worth moving to bones medium or something else? I’m currently using 90a barrel Indys. I’m concerned since Bones are conical that they will be even less stable.

I’m riding 60 mm wheels on 1/4” risers but I can’t imagine that being higher off the ground is an issue. Maybe I’m beginning to loose my balance but I’m not willing to admit that yet.

Thoughts?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10539 on: October 05, 2021, 06:20:02 PM »
Had the weirdest thing happen to me while skating the other day. Riding an oldish pair of Indy 149s with older bushings. While I was pushing it felt like my front truck was turning to the toe side. Pushing regular turning right. I never had to position my front foot straight to avoid turning and all of a sudden I felt I had to do this to keep from loosing speed and veering sideways.

I keep my trucks stock tight and change out the bushings and pivot cups as needed. I don’t see any major wear on either but should I just change out pivot cup and bushings to see what happens? Also, bolts are tight. Is it worth moving to bones medium or something else? I’m currently using 90a barrel Indys. I’m concerned since Bones are conical that they will be even less stable.

I’m riding 60 mm wheels on 1/4” risers but I can’t imagine that being higher off the ground is an issue. Maybe I’m beginning to loose my balance but I’m not willing to admit that yet.

Thoughts?

Has this setup been ok for however long and only now having this or is this a newly setup board?

Push the board out in front and see if it turns on its own.

Turn the board around and push the same way but with the tail at the front, seeing if something is different then too.

Pivot cups splitting can cause weird turns to one side, as can trucks that are mounted crooked or even boards that are not drilled straight, or even bushings that have split or similar things, to which I have often checked or rotated bushings, eg draw a dot or line on them where they are in place, then loosen off the truck and turn the bushing round so the line is now facing the other way and see if that changes anything.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #10540 on: October 05, 2021, 06:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

when I skated thunder 149 hollows I felt I could get away with skating quite long wheelbases due to them beeing so light

That’s what I’m running now and I agree. If you have a wider stance, it might feel more comfortable with a longer wheelbase.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #10541 on: October 05, 2021, 07:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yes, this is the way.

It's funny, lots of people will say "I need a short WB but ride Ventures or Thunders" which essentially extend your WB; For me, riding a 14" WB, Thunders or Ventures is a must.

In opposite world, I always ride Indys or ACE on 14.3x or larger Wheelbases (currently on 14.3WB with Indy ti).

Expand Quote
[close]

Thunders on 14-14.25"
Indy on 14.25-14.5"
Ace on 14.5" and up

Truth, though I am having a decent time on Venture 5.2L V-Hollows on a 14.25 WB. Only problem it the deck is an 8.0.

Length factors in too, short boards like Baker 8.0 x 31.5 x 14.25 would be unrideable (to me) on Ventures, tail would feel microscopic.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #10542 on: October 05, 2021, 08:01:45 PM »
I've skated 14.5 on ventures and it was honestly fine. Though I do prefer 14.25 or 14.38 overall by a lil bit. I wouldn't trip too much about the wheelbase as long as its not wayyyy out of your comfort zone.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10543 on: October 05, 2021, 09:58:26 PM »
To echo the above poster’s point I’m a giant baby and perfectionist about my shit bag of tricks and recently skated Venture on 14.38 when they were on 14.25 before. They felt solid other than back tails. I put on my 149 forged hollows, which measure +3.19 instead of +3.25 and there might be a marginal difference in back tails but it’s likely mental.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #10544 on: October 06, 2021, 04:27:55 PM »
why do bushings harden as they break in?

GardenSkater77

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10545 on: October 06, 2021, 04:45:13 PM »

Compression? Urethane will harden overtime and the majority of the hardening takes place in the first six months.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10546 on: October 14, 2021, 06:45:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Compression? Urethane will harden overtime and the majority of the hardening takes place in the first six months.

So it's all about the compression? I bought two sets of Indy 92A blue cylinder bushings two or three months ago. Mounted one set, thought they were too soft but rode them for a few sessions, shelved them. Put them on again a month or so later, perfect! If anything, a bit too hard now. Thought I was tripping. Mounted the other set on my second setup today. Again, feels too soft. The difference between the ones I have been riding for a few weeks now and the fresh ones is night and day. If it was hardening over time, wouldn't the set I had lying around since I bought them also have hardened a bit?

user18081971

« Reply #10547 on: October 14, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »
alright, tensor mag atg or Indy titanium? I want to try something new.

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #10548 on: October 14, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »
Have both - Indy Titanium imo

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #10549 on: October 14, 2021, 11:42:36 AM »

Assuming that you have already skated Indys, the titaniums are nothing special. They're just a lighter Indy truck. I have them and they're great, but if you're looking for something different, I'd go Tenson Mag.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

user18081971

« Reply #10550 on: October 14, 2021, 03:37:03 PM »
Thanks guys. I’d have put theeve in there too, but to find a v3 titanium truck right now is looking pretty difficult.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10551 on: October 14, 2021, 07:08:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Assuming that you have already skated Indys, the titaniums are nothing special. They're just a lighter Indy truck. I have them and they're great, but if you're looking for something different, I'd go Tenson Mag.

Indys by design are very heavy, and going lighter definitely changes up that core aspect of an Indy truck. I would think of it as an enhanced (lighter) Indy. A friend of mine recently went from Standard to Hollow Forged and his feedback was he's less tired popping his tricks and his flips have gotten significantly higher. But landings can be a more squirrel-y because of the lower baseplate.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

LebowskisRug

« Reply #10552 on: October 14, 2021, 08:54:11 PM »
I bought some barely used forged hollows and the dude didnt know they were ti's. I kinda don't like how light they are, would never buy, but they prob weigh what a Thunder Team Hollow does and those don't feel "too light"

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10553 on: October 14, 2021, 09:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So it's all about the compression? I bought two sets of Indy 92A blue cylinder bushings two or three months ago. Mounted one set, thought they were too soft but rode them for a few sessions, shelved them. Put them on again a month or so later, perfect! If anything, a bit too hard now. Thought I was tripping. Mounted the other set on my second setup today. Again, feels too soft. The difference between the ones I have been riding for a few weeks now and the fresh ones is night and day. If it was hardening over time, wouldn't the set I had lying around since I bought them also have hardened a bit?

I feel like many used bushings that have not been used for a while end up feeling a lot harder than others of the same age if still new in package.

This is most likely the case for you as well.  Some older well used bushings of various brands have almost seemed too hard now, but as said, urethane ages and hardens up some, so bushings just like wheels harden up and yellow under various lighting, even if still in the package, the only difference being bushings are usually various colours, so you don't notice anywhere near as much as white / natural coloured wheels.

I bought some barely used forged hollows and the dude didnt know they were ti's. I kinda don't like how light they are, would never buy, but they prob weigh what a Thunder Team Hollow does and those don't feel "too light"

The axle metal is a bit more blue tinged if titanium, but the best way to check is with a magnet, as titanium is not magnetic, but steel is.

That worked on a set of titanium Indy and Thunder I had floating round.

* just the axles, not the hanger, that is.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10554 on: October 14, 2021, 10:20:04 PM »

I feel the same way, would only buy them on a heavy discount or if they were part of a setup someone was getting rid off for cheap. They are great, but not life changing, and I couldn't convince myself to spend $80 on trucks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 26
« Reply #10555 on: October 16, 2021, 06:38:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I feel the same way, would only buy them on a heavy discount or if they were part of a setup someone was getting rid off for cheap. They are great, but not life changing, and I couldn't convince myself to spend $80 on trucks.

Are people doing the reverse of/off thing now too?

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #10556 on: October 16, 2021, 08:13:55 PM »
Reddit hack for tighter trucks without ruing the bushings.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10557 on: October 17, 2021, 12:19:46 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe it’s because I ride big boards and have this mission to relearn flip tricks as an aging skateboarder, but I love my first set of Titaniums. Combined with small wheels it makes my 9.25 Heroin pop feel much more responsive and I get less sore when trying shit over and over. Plus, hitting my shins is a little less painful.

beandemon

• Rep: 180
« Reply #10558 on: October 17, 2021, 08:23:55 AM »
I’ve ground to the axle in my heelside groove on my rear truck and am flush with the kingpin straight across the front. About 80% of my frontside slappy attempts are sticking on the front kingpin, and I’m going nuts between thinking I should power through, swap front and back, or convert to inverted kingpins.  I’ve got some krux downlow kingpins on hand, but don’t wanna eff up the feel.

Decided to go with the inverted kingpins, but discovered the back axles are like unto a banana.  Went with a hanger swap, keeping everything else the same.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 08:51:17 AM by beandemon »

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1443
« Reply #10559 on: October 17, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »

I jammed some pliers in there to do the janky way to tighten kreper kingpins. I should have gone the brass nipple route @PuffinMuffin